• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My positive Boardwalk Inn CL review & my very negative Beach Club CL review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts yet, but I wanted to say that I'm glad you had another great stay at BWI CL! They really are special!:goodvibes

When I first saw that you were going to try BC CL I kind of had the feeling that it wasn't going to measure up. Beach Club is a very different resort than BWI. Totally different feel.

I know when we go back again, my husband wants to stay at YC because he prefers the pool area there over the pool at BWI. So we'll probably do YC CL again. My kids love BWI CL and so do I, so when we go, I just have to try and embrace the differences. I love how spacious the BWI CL lounge is. Other lounges like YC and BC make you feel kind of crowded in. So I'm back and forth. I'm even tossing around the idea of staying GF SL CL. Never stayed at a MK resort before so I do like the idea of doing that. We'll see. :goodvibes

We can make assumptions as to why the CMs and GM at the BC showed no interest in talking to the OP and his family about their reasons for leaving after only one night, but I do know for a fact that some WDW Resort CMs and GMs DO care about why their guests want to leave their resort for another. You could argue that the CMs didn't ask because they knew the OP was leaving anyway. However, they missed an opportunity to find out how they could improve their CL experience for future guests. Does it even really matter why a guest leaves one resort to go to another? Probably not, because the fact still remains and the bottom line is that that guest is taking their money elsewhere which is NOT what a GM should want.

In fact, all WDW Resorts keep records and statistics regarding how often guests LEAVE their resort to go to another (BC, in this case) and how often guests COME to their resort from another (BWI in this case). They are also very aware of occupancy rates. When the OP left the BC, at that moment, their occupancy rate went down and the BWI's went up. Guest attrition, repeat customers and occupancy rates are all very important to WDW Resorts and any hotel. Guests satisfaction is directly linked and therefore should be of primary concern to the resort. But, the fact is, some resorts care more about this than others.

In July, I asked a WL/CL CM to cancel our Poly CL reservation and extend us by 8 nights. We got to talking, and he told me that the Poly is the Deluxe resort most "fled" and the WL is the Deluxe resort more guests flee to. Some resorts pay attention and care about these statistics, and some probably don't.

Our last WL/CL stay, the CL manager was always interacting with guests, clearing tables, helping out the concierges, stopping by tables just to say a "good morning" or sometimes he would talk at length with guests if they wanted to engage him. All guests are like family to Randy and he was truly interested in every guest CL experience - good or bad. No lounge CMs ever stood around staring at guests - they were too busy. They were always replenishing food, clearing tables, literally scrubbing tables from top to bottom, clearing and cleaning the dirty dish/garbage area constantly, putting out more glasses and plates... Sometimes, when the lounge was slow, they would chat with other CMs or with guests to find out what their plans for the day were.

No, you can't please all guests all of the time - I've left resorts (Poly and YC) a couple of times and fled to one we preferred (CR). But, you can sure try harder than the other guy and make sure that at a minimum, the amenities, products and services you advertise are offered. Going above and beyond that, especially in this economy, sure won't hurt your bottom line.

[
This is just my opinion and I am sure others will disagree which is fine, I don't think based on the reasons Fan listed as to why they were unhappy that they would have been able after that to make changes that would have been as successful as letting them leave and go where they knew they would be pleased.

In doing so, I don't think they showed anything but a caring attitude for the guest.

I personally do not care for AKL, but after reading so many rave reviews, really wanted to try it. We did, and we did not like it and everything we did not like was subjective and nothing wrong with the resort or any reason to expect them to change based on my dislike.

They were gracious and assisted us in moving us to a location that we wanted so while the AKL is not a resort I will repeat, I feel they did their job and did it well. They recognized that I was not going to be happy there and assisted in getting me somewhere I would be.

I feel the BC did the same.

Very good point! We left CSR after one night because DH wasn't having a good time. Why wasn't he having a magical time? Well, for starters, the only resorts he had to compare to at the time were the Poly and the GF. It turns out that DH doesn't like food courts, outdoor corridors or resorts that don't stock the New York Times. Obviously, these are personal issues and way beyond CSR's control. They were able to graciously move us to AKL where we were much happier immediately. But, there is nothing I could have recommended CSR do to change those objections, outside of getting The New York Times.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Sometimes our reasons for not liking something are personel. Our reasons may not make any sense to someone else, but to us they are valid.
I think its great that Disney understands this, and will move people to another resort if unhappy.

I'm sorry, but if you wrote a note complaining that a CM made a "bad joke" while trying to be funny and that people were looking at you while you were eating... you'd sound crazy! Those things just aren't legitimate complaints. They just aren't.

I'm now wondering if there's something in the employee handbook about not making disparaging comments about other resorts...?

If anything Disney doesn't meet a guest's expectations, isn't that reason enough to complain? ESPECIALLY at CL rates...

Our last WL/CL stay, the CL manager was always interacting with guests, clearing tables, helping out the concierges, stopping by tables just to say a "good morning" or sometimes he would talk at length with guests if they wanted to engage him. All guests are like family to Randy and he was truly interested in every guest CL experience - good or bad. No lounge CMs ever stood around staring at guests - they were too busy. They were always replenishing food, clearing tables, literally scrubbing tables from top to bottom, clearing and cleaning the dirty dish/garbage area constantly, putting out more glasses and plates... Sometimes, when the lounge was slow, they would chat with other CMs or with guests to find out what their plans for the day were.
We had the same experience last month and this month at the Boardwalk Inn.

There were some nights when the Club Level manager would come into the lounge, say hello to the guests and even help out the Club Level Cast Members.

Now at the Boardwalk Inn the Club Level Cast Members that check-you in along with getting you tickets, make ADR's and etc are the same ones who help put out the food, take it away and clear the table where guests put their dirty dishes. So when the lounge was busy they would always be working, however during the down times they would always take the time to talk with us and other guests.

I'm now wondering if there's something in the employee handbook about not making disparaging comments about other resorts...?
I honestly hope there is because when we were at the Beach Club it was the first time I ever heard any Cast Member make a rude joke about another WDW Resort. Especially after the fact they can see on their computer how many times we stayed there and that we just came from there. So that didn't put them off to a good start with us when it comes to first imperssions.

I'm curious to know if there specific reasons for splitting your stay, CR Fan? I don't see any massive advantage to splitting stays across two epcot resort area hotels other than just trying it out. Certainly for us (and I have appreciate I have just arrived home today from a 3-week vacation at WDW) it would be so much hassle to pack and move resort that I really couldn't be bothered, but then we bring and buy much more than lots of north Americans who don't tend to have long vacations or take trips to the mall for fun!

If anything Disney doesn't meet a guest's expectations, isn't that reason enough to complain? ESPECIALLY at CL rates...
Absolutely! But "we don't like this resort" is much too general to be of any value to the property. The guest really needs to detail the issue/s. Everybody's different. Someone might not like the wallpaper, or the amount of sunlight, or the balcony size. A guest may not like that there were alligators and os in their room. Someone else may be unhappy because CMs stared at them and they couldn't bus their own tables :confused3

They can't fix something if they don't know it's a problem - and the OP doesn't seem to be willing to assist future BC CL guests by writing to Guest Communications.

They can't fix something if they don't know it's a problem - and the OP doesn't seem to be willing to assist future BC CL guests by writing to Guest Communications.
Actually we are planning writting them an e-mail to let them know what we found wrong with the BC CL, we just haven't got around to doing that yet.

I'm curious to know if there specific reasons for splitting your stay, CR Fan? I don't see any massive advantage to splitting stays across two epcot resort area hotels other than just trying it out. Certainly for us (and I have appreciate I have just arrived home today from a 3-week vacation at WDW) it would be so much hassle to pack and move resort that I really couldn't be bothered, but then we bring and buy much more than lots of north Americans who don't tend to have long vacations or take trips to the mall for fun!
We just wanted to try the Beach Club since we never stayed there before and the fact the 35% room only discount was still being offered.

Also we thought what could go wrong for a couple of days since we did our first split stay in August 2010 at the Contemporary and Boardwalk Inn, which is what made us enjoy the Boardwalk Inn if it wasn't for us doing a split stay.

I like the split stay too for the same reason. If you want to try out a new resort, but don't want to invest your entire time at the resort in case it's not a good fit, splitting a stay is a good way to try something new. One of these days I'll get over to staying at the GF, but it'll be on a split stay first. :goodvibes

Haven't had the time to read thru all the replies, but just wanted to say we had the opposite experience. We were there around the same time as you I think, at the end of August.

We had a wonderful experience. never saw the 5:00 stampede :laughing: the person checking us in was very nice. We did get directions to our room, even though I think there are only 17? rooms on the floor.
We were always greeted warmly when we cam down the hall or when we returned to our room from elevator. Esp. my daughter. I think she felt like a rock star :rotfl:
If I looked like i was looking for something in the lounge, someone always asked if they could get me something if it wasn't out.
Yes, they do have a lot of staff serving the lounge, but I never felt they were staring or hoovering to closely. And the CM from Brooklyn was hilarious.
When we left, the CMs noticed how much my daughter loved the taffy they have out, and gave her a huge bag full to take home. I found them anything but cold.

Just wanted to give people my experience too, and I'm so sorry you had a bad experience.

However when I was in college my major was Hospitality & Toursim Adminstration. Well one of the things we were taught is when a guest complains but doesn't give specifc reasons why, then those working at the hotel should ask them what they could do to fix the problem. I was even told the same thing when I worked front desk at a Courtyard Marriott for my internship.

Are you still in the Hospitality Biz? is that how you get to go to WDW so much?:confused3

Well obviously I can't go back in time and tell them more. However I also think that the Beach Club CL could have asked us to be more specifc, because maybe then she could tell the other Cast Members so they can try and improve things. So that tells me they didn't care.[/QUOTE

I'm less than pleased that the CM is being blamed for you not getting in to a lengthy discussion as to why you left basically without any explanation. Perhaps she thought it best to not ask given the situation of being in a public area, since anyone within earshot would certainly feel uncomfortable listening in on your conversation.

You have now had ample opportunity to write to guest services with your complaints since you arrived home and not just voice them here. I trust you have done so, to enable the BC to better serve those who expect more. How can they improve if they are unaware of a problem.

So in my opinion it seems like the CL Cast Member from the Beach Club who helped us move back to the Boardwalk Inn missed her mark by not trying to find out more info why we wanted to leave, because it's standard everywhere else.

In your earlier posts you said the CM asked you if anything was wrong when you asked to be moved back to BWI. That was your opportunity to tell them your thoughts. Why didn't you address it then? Did you honestly give BC a chance after having such a wonderful stay at BWI?

Since the arguments are pretty much circular at this point, I think this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter