My PO-RS, GF, and BCV Vacation With A Disability…

Oh Janet! I am sitting here in tears! (and a bit jealous) Such wonderful memories to have! I can't beleive you could have a day to top this day! I bet you never wanted it to end.

I am the appointed planner for my Mom and Step-Dads 25th Anniversary party in May. I have scheduled an Illuminations Dessert party, but now it sounds as if it pales in comparison. Sounds like there are real advantages to staying concierge, for my parents anniversary we will be at BCV so we won't have access to a concierge planning staff.

Janet2k

I can not gush enough, what a spectacular day for you and your family and friends. I just can not get over the attention to detail that was put into everything.
We will all be waiting anxiously for the remainder of your trip report.
Thank you so much for sharing!

Hi Janet
No (LOL) I did not get a smooch on the cheeck. But DW did.
We saw ALL of his shows while we were there. (7 in all ) He always made it a point to acknowledge us when we were there.

I was the "brunt" of many of his acts. IE..dancing around the room, jumping up and down etc...

But I was never going to see those people again so it did not matter.

He remembers EVERYONE. I wish I had my digital camera with me. He wants pictures from those who have them for his website.

Kinggoofy

Janet, what a wonderful vacation so far! I am enjoying your trip report - thank you for taking the time to share it with us. I am glad everything worked out well considering your temporary disability.

I am sitting here reading this in tears also!!!! You write so magically! This was indeed THE BEST WDW Vacation ever! I am so fortunate to have found such a friend in you. Last night I had my folks over and I showed them our pictures and I remarked how I thought you and I had been seperated at birth since we were so much alike! I also shared with them stories about your parents and they said they would love to meet them someday. (They are sooooooo much alike) :rolleyes:

Sounds like we should start working on our Magical Gatherings trip for next October!

For those of you who are reading this thread......don't stop! It only gets better!

We are full-time RVers spending the winter at the Encore SuperPark just a few miles from WDW on 192. My sister, nutz4dzny, was so excited to be returning to WDW and to be getting together with Janet2k and her family that it seemed to overshadow the fact that our families would be getting together after having last seen each other in June. (Hmmm, I was hoping she would have some time to see us!) She had told us all about this special friend she had met through the boards, and, as we had done the same with internet friends on similar RV boards, we understood completely. Imagine our surprise when we found ourselves included in Janet's special and unique AK safari! Truthfully, the safari took second place to meeting Janet and her wonderful husband and lovely daughter. That is what we will remember more than the event itself. My husband found so much to talk about with Janet's husband, and all of us just loved their animated and charming daughter.

After a wonderful afternoon together, we said our thanks and our goodbyes, expecting that this was just a one-time meeting. Little did we know that we were to come to know Janet's family much better and to see them many more times over the next few days.

I've been a lurker on these forums and never felt the need to register or post, but I just registered so that I could tell you what a truly lovely, down-to-earth, and gracious lady you have on these boards in Janet2K.

Thanks, Janet, for including us in your vacation plans--two strangers who showed up unexpectedly and were welcomed wholeheartedly by your entire family--and for your friendship!

Cindy and Dennis Henderson
Fulltime RVers--wintering in Florida at the Encore SuperPark Orlando
cd2.jpg

What a great trip! I am so glad that you had such a wonderful time, and I look forward to reading more about your trip! Thanks for all of the great details!

One thing that we loved when we stayed at the GF was the music in the lobby. Our favorite was the pianist Christian Frederick. Is he still there? We purchased his CD in the GF gift shop!

WELCOME BACK JANET :wave2:

Well, I think you found your rhythm ;) Your trip reports are always full of wonderful details and pictures. Reading them is like being right there with you. I can't wait for the rest of your journey ::yes::

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY :jumping1:

Amazing! They couldn't have picked a better person to experience these unique activities, if only because you've been kind enough to share them with all of us, in exquisite detail! I'm so glad I found your thread.

So are you now an official "beta-tester" for the GF Concierge staff? :teeth:

Floridafam, a vast majority of my vacations are uneventful. However, sometimes I just get “a bee in my bonnet” (oh, boy, isn’t that an old expression?!) and have to break the mold. I was so very fortunate to have broken many molds with this past vacation.

Terry S., I know it’s hard to believe that I could top Day One of my GF stay, but just sit tight; my family and guests experienced many unique things. But anyone can experience something unique while vacationing at Walt Disney World. I think that is the most important point that I want to get across with my thread here on the Dis – that anyone can plan something unique if the mood suits them. Walt Disney World is a big place, with many things to offer. The Private Dining Event that my family enjoyed may be booked by anyone. There are also tours that may be booked in each of the theme parks (I must state that my VIP Safari doesn’t fall into that category yet). Gosh, the list goes on and on regarding various events that may be planned. As to your Illuminations Dessert Party, I have read so many nice things about those parties (they may also be booked at Disney Studios for the Fantasmic show). I can’t wait to hear how your parent’s anniversary party turns out. I’m sure it will be magical (and you better take lots of photos to share with us here on the Dis!).

Helenk, I was impressed by the attention to detail that my Concierge Pre-Planning Cast Member had put into that day, too. It was a magical day that was flawless thanks to his hard work.

Kinggoofy, I sure am glad you didn’t get a kiss from Bob Jackson. I would have been so jealous if you had! (I still haven’t washed off my cheek.) It’s wonderful that Bob included your family in his shows – if only I could get my hands on some of that videotape of your singing and dancing, I bet it was priceless (if my fellow Dis’ers have any of that video footage for sale, just let me know).

JudithM and MOMTOMOOTOO, thanks for your kind words.

Nutz4dzny, it was so much fun spending time with your family. When we briefly met last year at the Liberty Tree Tavern, I had a funny feeling that we would hit it off (even though we had only met for a few moments). And when I became disabled and you began calling me, it became apparent that we shared the love of many things, most importantly our families and Walt Disney World. My family’s vacation would not have been nearly as much fun had we not shared it with your family. I can’t wait to begin planning next year’s Magical/Grand Gathering’s vacation with you. I know that it, too, will be truly ~magical.~

WeFullTime, I am very flattered by your kind words, ~blush.~ I can’t tell you how much my family enjoyed spending time with your family. And my parents loved the tour that you gave us of your home. That was gracious and kind of you to do that; you truly gave us a glimpse into your wonderful world, *sigh.* And I can’t wait to share the manatee story. That was a glorious day (with a scrumptious lunch) that we got to experience thanks to you and Dennis. I sincerely hope my family gets to see your family during all of our future WDW vacations (my husband especially wants to go fishing with Dennis)!

MJS, that is so ironic that you mentioned Christian Frederick's music (click here). My daughter purchased his CD in the Grand Floridian’s gift shop one evening after we had listened to Chris play the piano in the lobby. She even had him it autograph the CD for her. My daughter is now the proud owner of two CD’s that were autographed while vacationing at WDW – Bob Jackson’s CD and Christian Frederick’s CD. She’s one lucky girl.

Wdwnut61, thanks for the anniversary wishes and the kind words. It truly was one anniversary to remember.

Erikthewise, your words really made me laugh. I seem to be the Beta Tester for many companies (too bad I don’t get paid for it). But I must admit that if Disney needs a Beta Tester for anything, I will gladly sign up. I can’t imagine a more wonderful place to experience things in for the first time.

After the Private Dining Event had ended, my daughter and I couldn’t sleep, so we went for a midnight swim. That was my first swim as a disabled person and it felt wonderful on both of my legs, broken or otherwise.

The “quiet” pool (a.k.a., the “old” pool) is the only one open at night at the Grand Floridian, and its water was rather cool. Luckily for me, I like cool water and thus had a refreshing swim with my daughter, as my husband snored in a lounge chair next to the pool (can you say, “Sleeping Beauty?”).

I should probably mention how I got myself into the swimming pool. Well, I rolled my wheelchair right next to the special handicap entrance and transferred myself from my wheelchair to its top step (click here for photo). My young daughter (who was watching over my shoulder as I typed this) told me to call this staircase the “bump-down” since that is exactly what I did in getting myself into the pool – I bumped my butt down the steps and right into the pool. I hope that wasn’t too graphic for you folks (if it was, I’m sure a few of you just lost your appetite).

I took several photos of someone demonstrating how to enter the swimming pool by using the “bump-down” entrance (these photos were taken a few days into my GF vacation at the newer swimming pool):
Photo 1 (click here)
Photo 2 (click here)
Photo 3 (click here)

I hope those photos were helpful.

I was awfully glad that I got to experience the pool’s “bump-down” entrance with no one else around. I was afraid that I would have been too embarrassed to have attempted it for the first time had lots of other folks been around. Since midnight swims are not enjoyed by the masses (thank goodness!), I got to work on my graceful pool entrance in peace and quiet without worrying about anyone staring or laughing at me (I can be such a klutz sometimes).

That evening I had also wanted to try the Grand Floridian’s water wheelchair, but since it is located at the newer pool, and since that pool is closed at night, that had to wait for another day. And so, at the end of my first day at the Grand Floridian Resort, I gracefully bumped myself back out of the swimming pool and into my wheelchair. My daughter and I then woke up Sleeping Beauty (also known as my snoring husband), and we headed back to our room to greet Snow White’s friend Sleepy (a.k.a., the Sandman). It's amazing how relaxing we find a midnight dip in the pool.

It was tough waking up the next morning, especially when you factor in the three-hour time change that we weren’t used to yet (8 AM in Florida is only 5 AM on the West Coast – arg!!). But we had to wake up somewhat early because our day was going to begin with the new “My Disney Girl Princess Grand Tea Party.”

This was how the Disney Gallery website described the event:

- - - - - - -
My Disney Girl Princess Grand Tea Party

Princess dreams come true in a way never dreamt of before...and only at the place where Dreams come true everyday ... Walt Disney World.

This whimsical experience, like none other, will be offered for a very limited time, so be sure to save a date for this incredible morning event of fantasy, tea for two, and royally delightful surprises....your special invitation to this "Dream Come True" event will be announced right here! So don't miss out on this new twirl of Disney Magic...Princess Style!

Wake up to your daydream with My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party.

EVENT SUMMARY:

My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party is a dream come true for your little princess. This one and a half-hour experience (from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.) treats each little girl like royalty from start to finish and is like no other event around.

In this delightfully magical morning, young ladies aged 4-12 will experience a real Princess Tea Party at the Garden View Tea Lounge at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. This five-part party is led by a professional actress/singer, named Miss Rose Petal, and culminates in a "dream come true" experience with a personal meeting with Princess Aurora, Disney's Sleeping Beauty. The Princess Tea also includes tea and brunch for two, a Princess dream dessert for all guests, a My Disney Girl doll, elegantly dressed in her Sleeping Beauty's gown, to keep and play with forever, a princess bracelet, special "gift" for our adult guests, and a very own "Best Friend" certificate so our little Princesses can name their My Disney Girl doll as their best friend for life.

SPECIFIC EVENT INFORMATION:

• Cost: $200.00 (includes 1 child and 1 adult) PLUS tax and gratuity included.
• Additional child $135.00
• Additional adult $65.00
• Available dates: October 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30 and November 1, 2
• Limited seating: 42 per day
• Time of event: 10:30-noon
• Location: Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, Garden View Tea Room level one
• Age of child: 4-12
• Cancellation policy: Full refund if cancelled on or before October 5th . After October 5th , partial payment of $30 is kept.
• Please note: This is an EXCLUSIVE TEST… for a LIMITED time, offered to a LIMITED group of Disney Guests

Just added for the last four nights of the My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party (October 29, 30 and November 1 and 2, 2003) four Artist Proof princess Cameo pins. Limit (1) one per group with a Child attending the Tea Party.

October 29, 2003 Cameo Tinkerbell
October 30, 2003 Cameo Aurora
November 1, 2003 Cameo Snow White
November 2, 2003 Cameo Cinderella
- - - - - - -

Now that you’ve read Disney’s official statement about the tea party, I’ll let my daughter describe the event for you in her own words:

At the beginning of the tea party, when you entered, you got a crown. They also threw rose petals on you. Miss Rose Petal greeted us and Lady Leaf showed us to our table.

When I saw my chair, there was a doll sitting in it. This doll had blonde hair, a pink dress, a crown, and a wand. There was a folded napkin on my plate with a silver bracelet around it. There was a card with my name on it and it said the bracelet on the napkin was mine to keep.

We got tea from the princess helpers. This tea was really apple juice and it was good and warmed me up so cheerfully. The kids got grapes, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and fruit to eat. The grownups got little sandwiches and weird stuff. For dessert, we got to eat a special princess cake. It was yummy.

Miss Rose Petal sang and told the story of Sleeping Beauty. Lady Leaf played the piano. In the story when we had to do stuff like “Ha-ha-ha” for the Maleficent parts, Lady Leaf would play the piano like it was evil. At one time we had to practice singing for when Princess Aurora would come. Then after we practiced, we sang Princess Aurora’s favorite song and we were too busy singing that we didn’t see Princess Aurora come in. We got to dance with Princess Aurora and went around in circles through the lounge. We also got to sing with her the song “Once Upon a Dream.”

After Princess Aurora left, Miss Rose Petal said Lady Leaf wanted suggestions for songs. I requested the most songs (“Under the Sea,” “Once Upon a Dream,” “Something There That Wasn’t There Before,” “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes,” and “Tale as Old as Time”). Then the party was over.

I had a good time at the party. I please want to do it again. Oh please!”

Click here to view my on-line photo album of the event, or click here to view a photo slideshow of the event.

I don’t have much to add to what my daughter just said, but I should mention that my husband and I had a wonderful time at the party. We thought the party was beautiful and the entertainment was wonderful. At one point during the party the girls were asked to pick up their dolls and caress them. I looked at my daughter holding her doll as if it were a real child. She smoothed the doll’s hair and kissed her on her forehead. It was just the sweetest and most tender moment. Tears welled up in my eyes as I thought of how precious moments like this just seemed to be flying by as my daughter grew older. My husband took one look at me and said, “Hey, softie, you’re crying.” To which I replied, “No, I’m not” (I’m a horrible liar). He laughed at me and I ignored him. Then about fifteen minutes later, I noticed that my husband was now the one with tears in his eyes. I said, “Oh, look who’s crying now.” And then I took a photo of my husband & his teary eyes just to prove my point (it’s wonderful having blackmail material after you’ve been married as long as we have).

Yes, the new My Disney Girl Princess Grand Tea Party was wonderful and I will cherish the memories of it always (especially knowing that my blackmail material is safely locked away in my Safe Deposit Box).

After the tea party was over, we hit the Grand Floridian’s newer swimming pool for a few hours. It was another beautiful Florida day and I wanted to exercise my broken leg in the warm water of the pool.

It took me awhile to get my nerve up, but after being in the pool for about an hour or so, I asked my husband to find out where the water wheelchair was located. He found out its location from one of the Life Guards and retrieved it.

I must admit that the water wheelchair didn’t look anything like I imagined it would look. I actually thought it looked rather Rube Goldberg, but since I am a technological nerd, that is a good thing:
Water Wheelchair Photo 1 (click here)
Water Wheelchair Photo 2 (click here)

My husband asked me to get in the water wheelchair and take it out for a spin. He wheeled me to the pool’s zero-depth entry area and then down into the water until I literally floated out of the chair. He then wheeled the chair back out of the pool for me.

After I swam for a bit, I asked my husband to bring the water wheelchair back to me because I wanted to get out of the pool. He wheeled the chair down the zero-depth entry ramp. I swam over to it and seated myself in it. He then wheeled me up the ramp, and I wheeled myself over to our lounge chairs. The chair was fairly easy to maneuver and drew a lot of attention. It seemed that my family was not the only family who had never seen a water wheelchair in use before.

Before my vacation began, I didn’t have much information regarding the water wheelchair. Because of that fact, I knew it was important that I personally not only took the water wheelchair out for a ride but also took some photos of it to share with everyone. If anyone has any questions regarding the water wheelchair and its use, just let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Our second day at the Grand Floridian had been pretty busy so far and it wasn’t over with yet. We still had the DoomBuggies.com event and Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party to get through. But after having relaxed in the pool, I knew our batteries were recharged and we were rarin’ to go.

The DoomBuggies.com website (click here) is a great place where fans of Disney’s Haunted Mansion rides congregate. When Disney was doing research for the upcoming “Haunted Mansion” movie, they received some help from the DoomBuggies.com website. Disney wanted to repay the website for their help and thus a special event was planned which would have Don Hahn, one of the producers of the movie, and Jason Surrell, a Disney Imagineer and author of the new Haunted Mansion book, in attendance for a meet-and-greet. I wanted my family to attend this event because I knew that it was truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I was very excited about the prospect of hearing Don Hahn and Jason Surrell talk about the new movie, as well as seeing some of the movie’s clips. Plus, a few friends of mine had also signed up to attend the event, and it would be fun hanging out with fellow Haunted Mansion lovers.

The event was held in one of the Downtown Disney hotels and it started at 5 PM. I had tried to get my hands on Jason Surrell’s new book before I left for the East Coast but I couldn’t find it in any of my local bookstores. Since I was attending the "999 Happy Haunts" event a few days later, I had ordered a few copies of the book from Disney’s Event Services Department and I knew those books would come autographed. Because of that fact, I tried not to feel too letdown that I wouldn’t get Jason to autograph my books in my presence. When I arrived at the event empty-handed, I was glad that there were at least some DoomBuggies.com posters available for autographing (it gave my daughter something to look forward to as she waited for everyone else to get their items signed).

After Jason Surrell had autographed everyone’s books, posters, bodies, etc., it was announced that Don Hahn was unable to attend the event. Everyone was disappointed to hear that, but then we were told that Don had sent a videotaped message. A short while later, the videotaped message was played. We soon found out that it was from both Don Hahn and Rob Minkoff, the “Haunted Mansion” movie’s director.

In the videotaped message, Don Hahn and Rob Minkoff were standing in front of a soundstage in California. They stated that they were trying to finalize the movie before the week was through. They said that if anyone would have rather seen them working in California than spending time in Florida, it would have been the DoomBuggies.com crowd. How true, how true. The audience got a big kick out of that.

While I was watching the videotaped message, I felt like I was at some kind of award show – the kind of show where someone wins and can’t be in attendance, so they send a videotaped message that was shot on some remote location somewhere in the world. Yep, Don and Rob’s message was a nice touch to the evening.

Once the message had ended, Jason Surrell pointed out a gentleman in the audience who had flown in from California with a special DVD in his possession. This DVD was filled with all sorts of clips regarding the upcoming movie. The crowd was pleased to hear that.

Jason Surrell, as I mentioned, is a Disney Imagineer. His latest project had been to put together a book on the Haunted Mansion. This book covers all four of Disney’s Haunted Mansions, and it also covers the upcoming movie. Jason had even spent some time on the set while the movie was being made.

Before each video clip was played, Jason would introduce it (I should note that we saw clips regarding the sets, the costumes, the makeup, the actors, etc.). . Jason had lots of tidbits to share with the audience regarding the movie, and at one point he even gave us his best Jennifer Tilly impersonation (Jennifer is an actress who plays Madame Leota in the new movie). His insights truly added a lot to everyone’s enjoyment of the evening.

I am glad that my family attended the DoomBuggies.com event, especially after having viewed the movie clip that showcased the famous Haunted Mansion singing busts. What a great scene. I can’t wait to see Disney's new Haunted Mansion movie (click here).

After enjoying the My Disney Girl Princess Grand Tea Party, swimming in the Grand Floridian’s pool, and attending the DoomBuggies.com event, our day was finally winding down. We took a van taxi from the DoomBuggies.com event and headed over to the Magic Kingdom Theme Park in order to catch the last hour or two of the Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. We love the Halloween party and have seen it many times, so we didn’t mind arriving late. We also were going to attend the same party on Halloween night, so that lessened my daughter’s disappointment with arriving so late to this party.

As I’ve already mentioned, it had been a busy day for us so we only went on two rides during the party: It’s A Small World and Pirates Of The Caribbean. Since I was in my wheelchair and my leg was pretty swollen, I requested the handicap boat for the It’s A Small World ride (click here for photo). I was happy to be able to wheel my wheelchair right onto the boat. And even happier when I was told to wheel it all the way up to the front seat. Wow. What a great experience for my first ride as a handicapped person.

When we were done with the It’s A Small World ride, we went over to the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride (one of my favorites). This ride, however, had no handicap boat and so I had to transfer myself out of my wheelchair and into the boat. As I was seating myself in the front row, I came down hard on my broken leg and wanted to pass out to escape the pain. I silently promised myself that I would not ride another ride for the rest of the vacation. My husband must have noticed the pained look on my face because he became quite concerned about me. I told him that I was indeed in pain and since our boat had already left the loading point, there was nothing that I could do but grin and bear it. (I was secretly panicking inside, wondering how I’d make it through the ride without passing out.) Luckily, a minute or two into the ride, I felt a blast of cool air upon my face and began to feel a little better. I also loosened up my removable cast and began massaging my swollen leg. When the ride had finally ended, I was managing okay with the pain but decided to stick to my guns regarding not riding any more rides.

Around 11 PM, my husband began turning into a pumpkin. Despite the complaints of our daughter who did not want to leave the party, we headed back to our resort. Cinderella may have a coach to take her home before the stroke of midnight, but we had something a little more modern – the monorail. And so another magical day in Walt Disney World had come to an end.

Janet
I look forward each day to your report. The way you describe everything I feel as though I can see it all!
I can not wait to read more!

Janet, thank you so much for sharing your very special vacation with all of us here on the DIS. Reading your report has brought back so many happy memories from our family trips. Thanks for enlightening us with so many magical things to aspire to on future visits.

I'm glad that your chef caught your food allergy before you were served the Ceasar salad. As you may recall, I share this same challenge and so much appreciate Disney's attention to detail with their recipes and presentation.

You write the best trip reports!

Is the princess tea party going to be a permanent offering at the GF? Are you going to post a dining report to fill us in on all the restaurants you visited? How was your stay at the BCV? I want DETAILS!!!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter