"My Peoples" - 2005

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by Sarangel, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Sarangel

Sarangel <font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<

This comes from the Herald-Dispatch (which covers W. Virginia, Ohio & Kentucky):
    First I've heard of this. Anyone got any more info?

Sarangel

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. roymccoy

roymccoy Efficient Oxygen Exchanger<br><font color="#0080c0

Dolly Parton, Lou Rawls AND James Carvelle?? Sounds great! Where do I get tickets ahead of time?? Wow! What a powerhouse! Maybe Martin Sheen can chain himself to the theater doors for the premiere.

The title is "My Peoples"? How racist is that? Why not call it "My Homies"?
    Hasn't Disney figured out that the politically correct animated movies just don't make it? (ie Pocohantas, Hunchback, etc)

Oh well, I guess I'm waiting until 2008 for another chance.

Roy

4. lrodk

lrodk <font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in

It's rumored that the film's name is not set in stone. Another name that has surfaced recently is "Once in a Blue Moon". Regarding any racist overtones that might be perceived based upon the title, James Carville sums it up best in a quote from a Washington Post article last fall where he stated that "It's going to be a respectful movie about Appalachian culture."

While still sketchy, My Peoples, or whatever it ends up being called, can be descibed as a backwoods bluegrass musical that features 2-D characters that interact with 3-D props and settings: it centers on a folk art puppet version of Abraham Lincoln (voiced by Hal Holbrook) that’s been crafted out of an old push broom. Kentucky native Ricky Skaggs will compose the sountrack, which will feature titles by Dolly Parton, Travis Tritt, Hank Williams III and Mike Snyder. It is also rumored that Ashley Judd is invlolved in the film at this point.

5. roymccoy

roymccoy Efficient Oxygen Exchanger<br><font color="#0080c0

Sounds thrilling...let's bash "the rednecks" again. I'm sorry but this just doesn't sound like something that is going to be all that enjoyable to my kids...aren't the KIDS the people that Disney makes these movies for?? Leave the political hack stuff to the "West Wing" or
    to Mike Farrell. (Wasn't he BJ Honeycutt on Mash 40 years ago?) And please Disney, don't give me any nonsense about this being a tender and loving look at hillbillies or the bluegrass culture....there can only be ONE reason that Eisner's friend James Carvelle is involved and that's to put his "in your face" liberal ideals on the big screen. Make movies about princesses and fairy tales...don't make Disney animation into liberal propaganda force fed to our kids. They get enough of that on TV.

Roy

P.S. I also wouldn't want to see Rush Limbaugh or Trent Lott be featured in a Disney cartoon either.

6. lrodk

lrodk <font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in

Political affiliations aside, Mr Carville was quoted in that same Washington Post interview as saying that the reason he wanted to do this film was:

This is the same old response given by countless of other famous personalities. They simply want to look cool in their children's eyes, and leave something behind in the process that's enduring for future generations to enjoy. You can dislike the man for what he stands for, but as far as intent I don't buy the whole political conspiracy theory. This is a family man who's simply doing it for his kids. I would do the same if given the chance.

7. DisLUV

DisLUV DIS Veteran

For those of us who like rumors and news about the animated movies coming out, look at www.animated-movies.com. A great site for what is to come and what could have been