• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My one and only trip to WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylorstimac

Earning My Ears
I was eagerly anticipating my first trip to WDW, sadly it will also be my last.
I guess maybe when you hear so many great things about the World, you start to imagine all sorts of wonderful things in your head.

I really didn't know what to expect honestly, i just knew it was gonna be great.

When we first arrived at POR i was sooo excited. We practically ran to the check-in counter.....I couldn't wait to see the mansions. The lady that checked us in was extremely rude. I mean, extremely. I tried to shrug it off...i was on a Disney high. Then she showed us the map to our rooms....located in the AB section. Now I know that it's absolutely impossible for Disney to grant all room requests, however I booked my trip in August of last year. I was told i was "practically guaranteed" to get a room in Magnolia Terrace somewhere. It was in fact our honeymoon. I even called several times just to confirm that they had us down for it. When I kindly told the lady that I had requested the MT rooms...she snapped at me and said that we could try to get a mansion room with the 2 beds but she doubted it. I just said nevermind and walked off. I didn't want that old bag to ruin my trip.

We checked into our room, which I must say was nice. Not extraordinary and no, not a mansion, but still cozy enough to be romantic in. So...the lady at the desk was rude...still wasn't gonna spoil my Disney magic. I did hope to find some sort of "congratulations" or something waiting for us in our room, but I guess that's just what you get for having high expectations.

So....we headed off to Epcot. Couldn't wait to see that huge golf ball. And yeah, it was big, but nothing special like I had hoped for. The countries weren't too impressive and the lines were realllllly long for everything....food and attractions. After 3 hours there we were totally and completely finished with Epcot.

We went home (to our AB room) that night feeling a little disappointed. We didn't see any characters, had no towel animals waiting, and were still upset that we weren't resting our heads in a mansion room. But, once again, that's what happens when you have high expectations.

I could go into detail about the rest of our trip, but I don't really feel the need. It all plays out about how the first day did. Looong lines, rude CMs, and no Disney magic....darn those high expectations.

I know I probably sound a little disgruntled, I really don't mean to. I just kinda put Disney on a golden pedastol......BIG mistake. To me, it felt like any other theme park. Honestly, Sig Flags has better rides. Everything felt kind of outdated at WDW, and the rides and attractions were geared for 2 year olds. Enjoyable, yet not worth the $2800.00 our trip ended up costing.(including food and souveniers)

I guess I just felt let down. :(

This didn't seem like the happy and magical place that everyone raves about. It felt like a tourist trap. A "hurry up and wait" kind of place that sadly at the end of the night left us so exhausted we didn't even want to "honeymoon". Now that's just bad.

At least I guess I can say that I've seen the mouse. Sadly though, I doubt my children ever will. I'm honestly not sure that I could fork out that kind of money again just to be rushed through a line to see a short person in a mouse suit. Too bad for the future kids, but good thing we found out sooner rather than later.

Should've went to Cancun. ::yes::

I feel badly for you. It was your honeymoon and everything. It should have been special.

I've never been to WDW and, after reading these boards, my expectations are very high. Maybe I aught to take them down a notch or two.

Congratulations on your wedding and I hope your next trip with your new husband is better...

:guilty:

That's too bad. There is no reason that you shouldn't have gotten a room in the mansions! It was just the two of you, so you wouldn't need a trundle bed. The fact that you booked the room so far in advance and it was your honeymoon should have been taken into consideration. I would write a letter to the manager of POR.
I'm sorry to hear that you did not experience any "magic". Our WDW obsession started after we took our daughter there when she was 4. She was mesmerized and in awe of the whole place. Her innocent joy made the trip priceless! Now we go twice a year! My DH and I often wonder why we never went to WDW alone before DD was born.
But, with all that being said, WDW is not for everyone. I'm sorry that it wasn't up to your expectations. Maybe you can go to Cancun for you 1st Anniversary. :goodvibes

I am so sorry you didn't have a good time. If it makes you feel any better, the mansion's rooms are just the same as where you were. They may have a little bit different decor, but the same.

Sounds like you went when it was busy, but I do understand the high expectations. Disney is expensive, Disney can be packed, there are some rude CM's out there. And expectations can cause disappointment.

I have family who don't like Disney. So I understand you decision not to go back. If they never go again is fine with them.

But I love WDW. It is my passion. I take the good with the bad. It takes me to a place that is happy. :sunny: :sunny:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

like marriage, vacations are what you make of them. you can be negative and grumpy about every little thing and that is what the outcome will be. you can ease up on yourself and go with the flow and you will be much happier. what a shame to see you focus on all negatives when you were on your honeymoon. if you can't find anything positive to say, my guess is that you wouldn't have had a very good time in cancun either. the lines in customs are horrible.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your trip. I guess WDW isn't for everyone. I can easily spend 2 days at Epcot so 3 hours and you were done really throws me. To me, wdw isn't about the rides, though I love them.

Sometimes a bad first encounter leads to an entire ruined day, trip etc. Maybe when you have kids, you'll give it another try & understand a bit better.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences?!

Just curious if you enjoyed anything about Disney?

I can't imagine anyone going there and not getting something out of it.

Maybe you should try and focus on the good things otherwise the negative will be a memory of your honeymoon that is a once in a lifetime opportunity (we all hope).

Hi all

Sorry you didn't enjoy Disney World, I can't imagine going there and NOT
having a good time.

I agree with "Jovidan" that planning is everything. My husband and kids also think I plan in advanced too much. But what they don't realize is how our day would turn out if I had not planned a few things. They just arrived at whatever park I say for that day.

Disney is about a lot of things from: attracations, parades, fireworks, food, characters, etc. The resorts in itself is something to smile about and enjoy.

Don't rule Disney out completely, perhaps if you have children someday consider taking them. Kids have a whole new perspective at the way they look at things. Once you see your child's face light up when he/she sees his/her favorite character. Just the excitement in your kids face will do the trick.

Now if kids are not in the plans, give it another shot somewhere down the line and take each day slow.

So was there anything good to report from your entire trip?

jovidan said:
So....we headed off to Epcot. Couldn't wait to see that huge golf ball. And yeah, it was big, but nothing special like I had hoped for.

:confused3 What were you hoping for?

To me, it felt like any other theme park.

:earseek: :earseek: :earseek:

Honestly, Sig Flags has better rides.

Well, if you TRULY feel that way, I can honestly say, you must have missed a little something at Disney World.

Everything felt kind of outdated at WDW, and the rides and attractions were geared for 2 year olds.

Did you go on Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower Of Terror, Space Mountain, Test Track or Mission:Space? All I can say is, if the rides and attractions are geared towards 2 year old, then I'm a very immature 29 year old who is VERY happy being a 2 year old at Disney World.

This didn't seem like the happy and magical place that everyone raves about. It felt like a tourist trap.

Are you CERTAIN you were at Disney World?

I'm honestly not sure that I could fork out that kind of money again just to be rushed through a line to see a short person in a mouse suit. Too bad for the future kids.

If that's the way you look at it, then you definitely shouldn't go back.

ditto

I can't imagine just spending 3 hours in Epcot and then being ready to leave. I could spend 3 hours easily just sitting on a bench and people watching or sitting on a bar stool in the Rose and Crown.

Geez......put the pitchforks down!!

Sure there were good times at WDW. The times when we were just spending time by ourselves.....out of the "hectic-ness". Perhaps we just picked the wrong spot for a honeymoon :confused3

As far as planning goes, our trip was planned to a tee. Thanks to the DIS I knew what to do and where to go, etc. I think that this is what got me so fired up to go. The way everyone described how "magical" everything was made me extremely excited to go. I was expecting pixie dust floating everywhere, skipping in front of the castle with Mickey, smooching my honey while watching "Wishes".

Instead I got whining kids, hateful strolling-driving parents, people who rushed you when you were getting your 5 seconds with Mickey, rude CM's who never once said "Have a Magical Day", .... the list goes on. And no, this trip wasn't horrible. I'm a 'glass half full' kinda gal, I did make the most of it. I mean I did pay out the butt to be there.

Like I said, my expectations for Disney were just to high. Everything is so over glorified. And yes, I rode Rock n' Rollercoaster, TOT, Space Mountain, (insert "exciting" ride here), etc. Didn't really do anything for me. I guess I even expected more out of them too. TOT didn't even make my stomach feel funny.....there was literally a 3 year old beside me who didn't even flinch. I get bigger thrills driving over the hills to my house.

Once again, I still feel Disney was a disappointment. The whole decor of the park seemed straight out of the 80's. Nothing too high-tech in Epcot to me. The animals at AK seemed depressed. The sheets at POR didn't get changed all week. (We also had to make numerous requests just to get coffee) I could've got that kind of service at a Motel 6.

I guess I just didn't "feel" the magic that I had hoped I would. And you guys are right, children do have a different perspective on things and perhaps that's why this is who the parks are geared for: naive children who think that Mickey is real and that money grows on trees.

Just wasn't for me or my husband I guess... I think in the future if we need to see a place with bad service and crowds where adults behave like children and try to run over innocent bystanders with their strollers...we'll just go to Wal-Mart.

There is no comparsion between WDW and Six Flags. WDW wins hands down. It has a little of everything for all ages. Where else can you enter a Theme Park and see The Tree of Life or the Castle. I love WDW but I didn't pick it for my honeymoon spot. I chose St. Thomas instead. A place where we could relax. Maybe that was your mistake. DW is not relaxing, especially if you want to see everything. Since 9/11 I have seen a bit of a downfall in DW as far as cleaniness and yes have come across a few rude CM's, but not enough to keep me from going back. If you do have children I hope you change your mind and take them to WDW. I think every child should experience it at least once.

Our honeymoon back in the stone age [1974] was my 2nd trip to WDW and my DW's 1st. We loved it but felt a little overwhelmed [Overwhelmed? HEY THERE WAS ONLY ONE PARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]. We did go back in 1976 in July [never again] and had a pretty good time, except for the heat, humidity, and those thunder storms [OH MY THOSE THUNDER STORMS!!!!!!!]. This time we stayed away for 10 years. Went in May 1986 with my mother and our DD. We stayed for 10 days on this trip and had such a wonderful time, we could not wait for our next trip. With one thing or another we were not able to go again for another 10 years. This time we made another BIG mistake. I booked a week between Christmas and New Years. The MOST disenchanting vacation we had ever taken. This was already going to be kind of a sad trip as my Mom, who just feel in love with everthing at WDW on our last trip, had passed away a little over 1 year before. Then in late 2002 I found the DIS and learned what I had been doing wrong all those years. I started to read the posts here on the DIS and in early 2003 started to plan a trip in May 2004. This trip turned into the most wonderful trip we had ever taken. We planned to return in Oct 2004 but that did not work out. Last Dec DW & I took our DGS for his first trip to WDW. This time I knew to go before Christmas. I was 10 when DL opened but was never able to go there and I was 26 on my first trip to WDW, so I never saw WDW thru a child's eyes until this trip with DGS. Let me tell you that this was the MOST wonderful trip you can imagine even tho it was not always easy for two 55+ grand parents to handle a very energetic 3yo for 5 days. DW & I are going again in 23 days for our 31st anniversary for another 5 days and know we will have FUN.

Other peoples attitudes are their problem. I just smile and say "Thakyou, have a nice day". Little dissapointments are just that, little. I truely understand what the OP was trying to say. This was their first trip, and their honeymoon to boot but when you read the DIS you MUST take in the bad, which does happen, with the good and magical, to be prepared for anything.
While I have had some bad days at WDW I have never had a totally bad trip and everytime I go there are fewer and fewer bad days. The more you plan and the less stressed you make yourself the better time you will have.

Please don't let the problems you ran into and the disappointments you encountered keep you away forever. I too also love SixFlags [my whole family has AP's] and we go several times every year from April thru Oct to both SixFlags New England and SixFlags Great Adventure but just remember SixFlags learned how to run their parks by following Disney's lead. They have done a wonderful job but I go to SixFlags for the rides while I go to WDW for the shows and general atmosphere.

Sorry this got so long and to the OP I am truely sorry you had such a bad time on your honeymoon and hope you have it in your heart to forgive and forget and try again sometime in the future.

If you haven't been to WDW before, it might not be the best place for a honeymoon.

It took me awhile to appreciate what parents deal with their children's behavior. It took a child in my life to learn that lesson!!

And maybe we need a disclaimer on these boards."Posters here love Disney ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo :earboy2: :earseek: :earsboy:

especially if it was your honeymoon. My sister and BIL did their at WDW over 20 years ago and had a wonderful time.

It definitely doesn't sound like this is the place for you. And that's fine. You've experienced it and that's the end of it. You won't go back and don't plan on taking your children there. Many families I know have never been and have no intention of going.

I love it, my dh loves it and my boys (7 and 2.5) love it. We are a Disney family. There's no way around it. But it's not for everyone.

As for being "glass 1/2 full" your previous post doesn't sound much that way. You said the rides were unexciting and you get more jolts out of riding near your house, people and CMs were rude, animals dull, etc. However, you never said the weather was wonderful, we had some great meals, we found some quiet spots just to enjoy our time together, etc. I don't see the "1/2 full" at all.

Again, I'm sorry you didn't have the honeymoon of your dreams. And if you never go back to WDW, that's definitely your perogative. But we'll be there in less than 7 months, and it can't come too soon.

For the record, our honeymoon wasn't ruined by any means. We had a nice time. We were exhausted when we got home, but it was still nice.

I didn't post my trip report to gripe and complain about my honeymoon. I did indeed have fun, as I realize that whiney kids and griping parents are included in most any environment.

I guess my main reason for posting was just to share my astonishment. I mean does everyone out there actually believe that WDW is the "happiest place on earth" ? I felt like I had to keep reminding myself that it was called this.

Also, has no one else ever been let down by WDW? That's the way I felt...
And if I ever do get the opportunity to take my children someday, I'll make sure that there little heads aren't filled with pixie dust and 'happily ever afters'. I would hate for them to feel the kind of disappointment that I felt.

I guess if I just stumbled upon WDW and had never heard a thing about it in my entire life that it would be phenominal. However, all I have heard my entire life is how magical this place is......just kinda felt sad inside when I found out it wasn't. Just another theme park.....same tactics, same rides, same over-priced food and souveniers.....etc, etc, etc.

After reading your post I would at least encourage you to try and do it again. Perhaps when you have children you will see it through another set of eyes. I see that you have a small number of posts - perhaps you needed to do more research before your trip. I spoke to a lady this past week on a WDW bus who said they were ready to go home after the first day for various reasons that could have been avoided had they planned better. I know that you can't change the person at the check-in counter, but you can always ask for a manager. Disney does not guarantee room requests, short lines, or towel animals. If you had more realistic expecations I'm sure you would have enjoyed your trip! Sorry that it wasn't the experience you were hoping for...

taylorstimac said:
I was eagerly anticipating my first trip to WDW, sadly it will also be my last.
I guess maybe when you hear so many great things about the World, you start to imagine all sorts of wonderful things in your head.

I really didn't know what to expect honestly, i just knew it was gonna be great.

When we first arrived at POR i was sooo excited. We practically ran to the check-in counter.....I couldn't wait to see the mansions. The lady that checked us in was extremely rude. I mean, extremely. I tried to shrug it off...i was on a Disney high. Then she showed us the map to our rooms....located in the AB section. Now I know that it's absolutely impossible for Disney to grant all room requests, however I booked my trip in August of last year. I was told i was "practically guaranteed" to get a room in Magnolia Terrace somewhere. It was in fact our honeymoon. I even called several times just to confirm that they had us down for it. When I kindly told the lady that I had requested the MT rooms...she snapped at me and said that we could try to get a mansion room with the 2 beds but she doubted it. I just said nevermind and walked off. I didn't want that old bag to ruin my trip.

We checked into our room, which I must say was nice. Not extraordinary and no, not a mansion, but still cozy enough to be romantic in. So...the lady at the desk was rude...still wasn't gonna spoil my Disney magic. I did hope to find some sort of "congratulations" or something waiting for us in our room, but I guess that's just what you get for having high expectations.

So....we headed off to Epcot. Couldn't wait to see that huge golf ball. And yeah, it was big, but nothing special like I had hoped for. The countries weren't too impressive and the lines were realllllly long for everything....food and attractions. After 3 hours there we were totally and completely finished with Epcot.

We went home (to our AB room) that night feeling a little disappointed. We didn't see any characters, had no towel animals waiting, and were still upset that we weren't resting our heads in a mansion room. But, once again, that's what happens when you have high expectations.

I could go into detail about the rest of our trip, but I don't really feel the need. It all plays out about how the first day did. Looong lines, rude CMs, and no Disney magic....darn those high expectations.

I know I probably sound a little disgruntled, I really don't mean to. I just kinda put Disney on a golden pedastol......BIG mistake. To me, it felt like any other theme park. Honestly, Sig Flags has better rides. Everything felt kind of outdated at WDW, and the rides and attractions were geared for 2 year olds. Enjoyable, yet not worth the $2800.00 our trip ended up costing.(including food and souveniers)

I guess I just felt let down. :(

This didn't seem like the happy and magical place that everyone raves about. It felt like a tourist trap. A "hurry up and wait" kind of place that sadly at the end of the night left us so exhausted we didn't even want to "honeymoon". Now that's just bad.

At least I guess I can say that I've seen the mouse. Sadly though, I doubt my children ever will. I'm honestly not sure that I could fork out that kind of money again just to be rushed through a line to see a short person in a mouse suit. Too bad for the future kids, but good thing we found out sooner rather than later.

Should've went to Cancun. ::yes::

I'm so sorry you had such a bad honeymoon in WDW. That kinda stinks.

We were there on our honeymoon 4 years ago and it was fantastic...so much so, we go backat least twice a year and bought DVC. Quite frankly, I don't consider myself a naive child, I don't think Mickey is real, but the magic is certainly there for us. I can't wait to get back and I start planning my next trip the day after I get home.

We also stayed at POR on our Honeymoon and requested a mansion room. Something to know... VERY FEW mansion rooms come with a king size bed. We were also in AB because it had a king size bed and we didn't want two full sized on our honeymoon. You could have had a Mansion room, it just would have been seperate beds. The following year we were at the mansions. Nice, sure, but really...it wasn't all that. it was just a room and no more romantic than the rest.

You also went at one of the worst times to go.... Spring Break....I wouldn't plan a trip to WDW in April for anything! JMHO.

I'm sorry some castmembers were rude, we have encountered them as well, but hey, you have a bad day at work occassionally don't you?

Can I ask a question? Were you raised on Disney?
I have found out, in my own unscientific poll, that if you weren't raised somewhat on Disney, it's just going to seem like another theme park and no big deal to you.

I'm sorry it didn't live up to you expectations...before you throw it away completely, you should try again during a non-peak time (September thru mid Oct is great) when it's not so crowded and the castmembers have the time and disposition to be a lot friendlier.

taylorstimac said:
I mean does everyone out there actually believe that WDW is the "happiest place on earth" ?

Actually yes. That's why we go back year after year. Your's is basically the first WDW trip report I've ever read that displays such contempt for WDW and the people that go there (basically us). What kind of response are you expecting/wanting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter