My OH can't see 3D! advice please

fizz13

<font color=33cc99>Dreams about being stuck on Spa
Hi guys,

I was busy finalising my tour plans, down to the last 10 days now and a horrifying thought occured to me. In the past when me and OH have been to see a 3D movie or experience it has been a waste of time for him ubfortunately as his eyes just dont process 3D movies. Here I was trying to plan a TSM strategy when it occured to me that he may get in this ride and see absolutley nothing:scared1:
does anyone else suffer with lack of 3D vision? is TSM operating very different technology to normal 3D tech? From the look of it in footage is certainly seems to be different.
Philharmagic he will humour me in, Tough to be a Bug etc. I just feel horrible about TSM as I know he would have loved this ride..if I can get him to see it:lmao:

thanks for any advice or tech knowledge you can give me:hug:

I can't see in 3d either and i'm able to play in tsm. I don't think it is as clear as the others see, but it doesn't keep me from having a great time, it's one of my favorite ride, even without the 3d vision.

so you can continue your stategie plans !

I'm afraid I can't give you much advice on TSM, as I haven't been on it though, but I can sort of sympathize...my mom doesn't see 3-d at all. Can he not see the movie at all, or just not see the 3-d part? My mom can make out the movie fine with the glasses, but just not 3-d. And Philharmagic is her favorite attraction at MK. I'd assume, (and I'm hoping for my mom when we go in December) that the ride is plenty enjoyable without the 3-d component:goodvibes

Why exactly can't he see 3D? I can't because I am legally blind n one eye.
That being said, on our trip in May I was able to see some 3D at WDW, even TSM. It was amazing! My 1st time seeing 3D and I just turned 30.
The main reason I could never see it before was because you needed to see through both of those lenses, but the ones at WDW work differently.
Good luck! And even if he can't process the 3D he'll still enjoy himself. Here's hoping that he'll be as lucky as me.:thumbsup2

The main reason I could never see it before was because you needed to see through both of those lenses, but the ones at WDW work differently.

You must be able to see through both of those lenses at WDW to see a 3D image, as well.

The Disney 3D films (and TSM) require the use polarized lenses, like the newer 3D films (like Pixar's UP) shown in theaters.

Even if a person can't see well through both eyes, (s)he needs to wear the glasses,
so that the "good" eye won't be seeing a confusing image made up of both the
left and right eye images "mixed" together, unfiltered.

thanks guys, it sounds like it wont stop him joining in the fun too much, although it may annoy his competitive streak:lmao: i have no idea why he cant see 3D, he had an opticions test only a little while ago and both eyes are perfect, better vision than me in fact so it remains a mystery. :confused3

My DH can't see in 3D either. I had never heard of this before I met him. I never realized how common this condition is.

Thank you for this thread. I can't see 3D either and DH thinks I'm weird b/c of it. I never knew there were others like me out there.

I have amblyopia and I also have trouble with 3D things and depth perception. I don't get much of a 3D effect in the 3D movies, but occasionally I can see a bit. I love TSM, though, and while I don't see it as very 3D that doesn't cause any problems with my playing or experiencing the games.

It's kind of off topic, but this reminds me about a funny story when I went to the eye doctor a couple of years ago. The assistant was doing some sort of test, that apparently tested one's ability to see things in 3D and he put the little book down in front of me with some sort of pattern on it and I was supposed to be able to see numbers or letters in the pattern, but I couldn't. He started to get a little annoyed with me that I couldn't see what I was supposed to, but I kept insisting that I couldn't see it.

Finally he sighed and took the book away and apparently grabbed the kids version of the book that had pictures of animals on it. He asked me which animal stood out more than the other animals and I told him that they all looked the same to me. Finally he goes "What about the rabbit? Do you see anything different about the rabbit?" And I'm thinking... OK... you trying to cheat for me on this test is really not going to help me much. But I kept telling him that they all looked the same and he finally noted that in my chart and went on to the next test. But he was doing his hardest to get me to see something special about that rabbit;)

Does anyone else suffer with lack of 3D vision? is TSM operating very different technology to normal 3D tech? From the look of it in footage is certainly seems to be different.
Philharmagic he will humour me in, Tough to be a Bug etc. I just feel horrible about TSM as I know he would have loved this ride..if I can get him to see it:lmao:

thanks for any advice or tech knowledge you can give me:hug:

In my late teens I was told by the eye doctor that I coudn't see 3D {insert Robo comment here} I had never noticed! :confused3 And I didn't get asked about "a special bunny" either. :laughing:

The reason is, I have crossed-eyes. This prevents the left and right eye from playing nicely together. I never really felt I was missing out.

As for the rides, I really enjoyed TSM (with the glasses) and even spanked my little brothers score. He's VERY competitive. Have OH try the glasses, I doubt he will notice what he is missing. I didn't.

Enjoy your trip... oh and wishing you an early ~HAPPY BIRTHDAY!~

I am legally blind in one eye (amblyopia--20/700 uncorrected, 20/80 best corrected) and *also* used to work at Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

Personally, I cannot see those stereogram things or anything that uses red/blue or red/green; but I can see things that use polarized light perfectly well (I assume; I mean, I can see them, I assume I'm seeing them correctly). I can see everything 3-D at WDW clearly (although I've never been to TSM). I can also see the modern 3-D movies that are popular now, or at least I could see Coraline (I missed Up in 3-D).

Your OH should wear the glasses on the ride. If his problem is with his vision, the glasses will either work (they should work to some extent for anyone with low vision, cross eyes, wall eye, or amblyopia) or make it look like a regular 2-D experience.

You didn't say what the exact issue is, I guess if it's a brain thing it may or may not help to wear the glasses, but it probably won't hurt. (Actually amblyopia is a brain thing and not an eye thing--although it can be caused by an eye thing--but I meant a brain thing interfering with 3-D processing specifically.)

BTW OH=Other Half

I have amblyopia and I also have trouble with 3D things and depth perception. I don't get much of a 3D effect in the 3D movies, but occasionally I can see a bit. I love TSM, though, and while I don't see it as very 3D that doesn't cause any problems with my playing or experiencing the games.

It's kind of off topic, but this reminds me about a funny story when I went to the eye doctor a couple of years ago. The assistant was doing some sort of test, that apparently tested one's ability to see things in 3D and he put the little book down in front of me with some sort of pattern on it and I was supposed to be able to see numbers or letters in the pattern, but I couldn't. He started to get a little annoyed with me that I couldn't see what I was supposed to, but I kept insisting that I couldn't see it.

Finally he sighed and took the book away and apparently grabbed the kids version of the book that had pictures of animals on it. He asked me which animal stood out more than the other animals and I told him that they all looked the same to me. Finally he goes "What about the rabbit? Do you see anything different about the rabbit?" And I'm thinking... OK... you trying to cheat for me on this test is really not going to help me much. But I kept telling him that they all looked the same and he finally noted that in my chart and went on to the next test. But he was doing his hardest to get me to see something special about that rabbit;)

WHen I was in High school those books and posters where the images were supposed to appear were pretty popular. For one holiday someone got me a Disney book filled with those - I couldn't see any of them and it drove my mother crazy!! :rotfl: She kept trying to tell me what I was supposed to see and outline it for me, but I never did see anything. I can see 3D though. Now that I think about it though the 3D effect never seems quite right to me - I either see it double or a bit off somehow so it's never quite real (never noticed it in TSM but definitely in the 3D shows). I guess it might be me and I'm lucky I can see it at all!! I don't have any other vision issues, so I guess it's something that won't necessarily affect anything else.

Yeah I have issues with 3D as well and even though I have issues with it I always go and see Muppet Vision and Philharmagic... and I've been worried about TSM because of it (we skipped it last august because the lines were well over 100 minutes every time we were there and never made it to rope drop) but I really wanted to do it this trip and hoped that it wouldnt be that bad vision wise so its good to hear other people have had no real issues with it

I can't see in 3D. My eyes are not properly aligned. Most people with the condition can wear glasses with a prism to correct the problem. The test most doctors use is the one where they ask you to tell them when the lines are together. The straight lines move left or right (or up and down) and you are supposed to be able to tell when they are on top of each other (or just one line). This gives me such a headache and I never pass!

That being said...TSM rocked! Don't miss it! Have fun and a great birthday!

Yeah, I can't see 3D either - never could work those "Magic Eye" posters and books!

If his 3D vision (or lack thereof) is similar to mine, he should be fine on TSM. It all just looks flat to me (like a regular 2D movie), but it doesn't make it difficult to score points. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I have it better than my competitors because I DON'T see the stuff flying out at me, so my reflexes don't make me duck or whatever!

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter