My ** Memories of Ma **Pre-Trip Report

stitches of laughter

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone :goodvibes

I have posted a few times around the boards about my story & my plans that unfortunately were canceled, but this time is different.

Here is my story,
I'm Ellen, a 22 year old full-time student due to graduate *FINALLY* in June with my BA in English Writing. I also work full-time at a hotel ten minutes from my campus. My life changed drastically this past February.
My mom was the most absolute angel. Epitome of pixie dust. She always wore her heart on her sleeve and everyone who met her fell in love with her. My mom and I did so many things within 21 years, so many road trips and adventures. But the one thing that was always a constant--our love for Disney. We both had the faith of a child. My mom's eyes lit up each time we saw the fireworks and of course we both cried. The last time we went together was August 2009. I remember holding my mom's hand on top of the Contemporary Resort watching Wishes.

me and mom by alwaysellen, on Flickr

I also held my mom's hand as often as she held mine. My mom was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in March of 2007 with heart attacks spaced throughout 2006 and the years after her diagnosis. But my mom was never a patient, a dear, sweet guest of the nurses and doctors. She was never a number, but just a tender pull on everyone's heart strings that renders the question, why her?

My mom fell into kidney failure this past December, she came out of it like a champ but we still canceled our December trip. She was home for Christmas and was determined to go to Disney in January. At 2am on January 7th, I took my mom into the ER and she never came back home. I reached a breaking point of anxiety and lack of sleep so I took one of my girlfriends to Disney the end of January. My picture on this site is me writing "mom" in a heart on the Poly beach.

The Thursday before my mom passed away she told me we should have planned a trip in May. I went to visit her, as I did every single day, to find that she passed away at 10:45 am on February 20th. My angel on Earth had become my guardian angel in heaven. I cry nearly every day, I miss her more than anyone could ever understand. The majority of my life, she was all I ever had. We were each others' rocks, our best friends, our worlds. I miss her so deeply.

*insert break to grab tissues*

so now here I am, less than 60 days from the THIRD trip I have planned since my mother's passing. I am determined to go. Sunday November 27th-December 1st at POP! I will be going solo and dedicating my trip to the memories of my mom.

I hope you will follow me, cry with me, laugh with me and most importantly, get to know my mom. I know any Dis-er would have loved her. :littleangel:

let me start by introducing myself,

I'm Ellen! I am a 22 year old full time student and employee. I study English writing and will be *finally* graduating this June. I work full time at a well known hotel in the Chicago suburbs. This is going on my fourth year in the hospitality field. I plan on using my degree to get up in the ranks in this field. Be it sales, accounting, and maybe my dream job of being a motivational speaker for corporate level hospitality managers.

upload to flickr gf by alwaysellen, on Flickr
I absolutely LOVE Disney, particularly Disney World. I love the magic and happiness it creates. I have planned several trips since my mom passed away, but have canceled for various reasons. My 45 day mark is coming up (Oct 13th) and I am crossing my fingers I am paid off by then so I have to go. No ifs ands or buts. I have been non stop since February. I had to up and move my life, and I haven't had a moment to take for myself or to remember my mom.

I hope you all will join me during my PTR:goodvibes

I must admit I suffer from frequent ADR changes. I always feel like I could "better" use my dining credits. I upgraded my free dining plan to Deluxe (oh lala). I've done it twice, to the point of being a master at the art of eating.
so here we go:

Day [one]
Arrival! Check in POP!
MGM!
Lunch @ 50s Prime Time
Dinner @ Yachtsman

Day [two]
MK!
Lunch @ Liberty Tree Tavern
*haven't been here since it was a character dining spot
Dinner @ Artist Point

Day [three]
AK! & DTD!
Lunch @ Yak & Yeti
Dinner @ Narcoossee's

Day [four]
EPCOT!!
Lunch @ Coral Reef
Dinner @ La Hacienda

Day [five]
last day :sad1:
MK!
Lunch @ Tony's

those are my ADR's as of now

any suggestions?

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom.. She sounded like a wonderful person and mother. I hope I can have that sort of bond with my child whenever I become a Mom! It got me teary eyed just reading about it. I think it's a great idea to take a solo trip.. especially in memory of your Mom. You will have a great time!

Have you ever thought about eating at Le Cellier in Epcot?

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom.. She sounded like a wonderful person and mother. I hope I can have that sort of bond with my child whenever I become a Mom! It got me teary eyed just reading about it. I think it's a great idea to take a solo trip.. especially in memory of your Mom. You will have a great time!

Have you ever thought about eating at Le Cellier in Epcot?

have I ever thought of it? Ohhhhh I have dreamed about it! My mom & I once ate there in the early 00s and have been trying to hard to get ressies ever since, but I have fallen in love with Coral Reef and I want to give La Hacienda a fair shot, I love mexican food!!

thank you for replying to my report, too. I began thinking that no one liked me:goodvibes

favorites! :cheer2:
how could anyone go to Disney and not form any favoritism over anything:confused3

favorite park: Magic Kingdom
*EPCOT a close second!

favorite ride [in each respective park]:
space mountain & pirates!
soarn' & spaceship earth
tower of terror & rockin roller coaster
dinosaur

favorite souvenior:
mouse ears! & pins & any accessory

favorite snack:
i love anything from the confectionary
namely, FUDGE!

favorite mode of transportation:
monorail

favorite resort I have stayed at:
yacht club

resort I want to stay at most:
poly & contemporary!

favorite restaurant:
California Grill & Coral Reef

favorite Princess: Ariel & Cinderella

favorite fuzzy friend: stitch, I have no clue why
& Minnie (love of polka dots)
& figment
& sully
& donald!!!

favorite songs: spaceship earth soundtrack, imagination, any little mermaid song, pochontas, any many more! oh! monorail loop!!!

favorite movies: little mermaid, UP!, toy story, monsters inc, cinderella

there are many more favorites, as you will come to see throughout this PTR

next up,
I will add pictures & plans! :cool1:

this friday's paycheck determines if I will go on my trip. I have a $400 balance left & it's due October 13th.

So I am even more excited for this Friday to see what my paycheck is (I know, I know how do I not know what my check is going to be but my hours vary between 36-45 hours a week and I have to take into consideration my other bills, too.

In the mean time I day dream about the food I am going to eat, what outfits I am going to wear for the insane amount of photos I am going to take. I take full advantage of the photopassers. I feel as if Disney is an endless photo shoot.

I also avoid this movie review that is due tonight that I have half way done. Andddd the twenty pages of Aristotle I have to read by two, oh college life.

Thank goodness I am graduating in June, which leads me to another announcement:
after a few months of not speaking to my dad after my mother's passing, we have built a relationship we never had. I see him nearly every week, we go out to eat and he tries to make sure I have enough of the essential things (toothpaste, diet coke, ya know, the necessities of life!) So, I am trying to convince my dad to join me on my first day. He is in his 40th year as a teacher in the same district he started in. He also takes care of his dogs and the dogs my mom had, as well as my Boston Terrier, Stevie. All in all, he is my dad and I am grateful to still have a parent. Regardless of how emotionally inept he is, I can still say he is my dad and I shouldn't discredit him for future things just because he came short in the past.

Back to the point, he keeps saying no :confused3 to joining me for one day BUT!!!!
this weekend he suggested...drum roll..

THIS SUMMER!
he probably just said that to shut me up, but little does he know,
that makes me open my mouth even more! mwauahahah

plus my birthday is one week after I graduate, so many
things to celebrate!

so that is my recap for right now,
please join me through this planning! :goodvibes

SO sorry to hear about your mom :( I'm glad you are taking this trip for you and her though! I love the DxDP!

i'm subbing and looking forward to reading along!

Oh gosh! I really hope that paycheck is enough to let you go to Disney!! That would be great :thumbsup2 It's very good that you have a relationship with your Dad.. I'm excited that he may be going with you in the summer.. And all people should know that nothing excites a Disney person more than suggesting ANOTHER trip! :rotfl:

SO sorry to hear about your mom :( I'm glad you are taking this trip for you and her though! I love the DxDP!

i'm subbing and looking forward to reading along!
yay! welcome:yay:
I love the dxpd too! I love looking at the menus, have you read my ressies? what do ya think?

Oh gosh! I really hope that paycheck is enough to let you go to Disney!! That would be great :thumbsup2 It's very good that you have a relationship with your Dad.. I'm excited that he may be going with you in the summer.. And all people should know that nothing excites a Disney person more than suggesting ANOTHER trip! :rotfl:

thank you :hug: & welcome! I know, my dad should be very well aware of mentioning another disney trip is a bd idea if he wants to shut me up about THIS trip hahahaha

As I rolled out of bed at 5:19 this morning all I could think of was...this is paying my way to disney..this is why I will be able to buy another lanyard of pins...

workkkkk!
645-5!
plus tonight I have to put together a 10 minute presentation on Bill Bryson's rhetorical strategies in his book Made In America: An Informal History of the English Language in the United States
:scared1::confused3:scared1:

and I am first up. Go me for at least wanting to get it out of the way:sad2:

So, since I will have nothing but work & disboards to keep me going until five. feel free to drop by & give me your input on how to make my trip memorable!

one of the things I want to do is the Animation studio in MGM. I love drawing and think it would be fun

any ideas :idea: :goodvibes

I like your ADR list. LTT Lunch is one of my favorites, and the sig choices are very good. (Well, I haven't been to Narccoossee's, but the others, yes). Hacienda was also very good when I was there last week.

As far as the 10/13 thing. You could also consider doing what I did to get my package paid off in time. I had slacked on paying it in payments, so when the bill was due it was about $1000 left on it. I dropped the dining plan from DxDDP to DDP and was able to squeeze the payment in. I then later reupgraded back to DxDDP. Just note that you have to reupgrade no less than 3 days before the trip, and if you do it too close (mine was a week), you may be charged an extra $15. Still, if it's $15 extra or can't get it paid in time... I know which I'd choose :).

I like your ADR list. LTT Lunch is one of my favorites, and the sig choices are very good. (Well, I haven't been to Narccoossee's, but the others, yes). Hacienda was also very good when I was there last week.

As far as the 10/13 thing. You could also consider doing what I did to get my package paid off in time. I had slacked on paying it in payments, so when the bill was due it was about $1000 left on it. I dropped the dining plan from DxDDP to DDP and was able to squeeze the payment in. I then later reupgraded back to DxDDP. Just note that you have to reupgrade no less than 3 days before the trip, and if you do it too close (mine was a week), you may be charged an extra $15. Still, if it's $15 extra or can't get it paid in time... I know which I'd choose :).

:cool1: you are a GENIUS! I would have never thought of that! I just may do that. Also, since I am so close to the 45 day mark, is it weird that I haven't gotten ANY paper work from Disney? Not even the coupon book or anything :confused3

I haven't been to LTT since 2005ish, when the characters still made rounds there. I love Tony's because of their zuichinni fries-yum!

I have never been to Artisit Point, Yachtsman or Narcoossee's (which I am a bit hesitant because I am allergic to seafood, buuuuut definitely not steak AND the night I am going to Narcoossee's is a very merry holiday party night and I want to watch the Holiday wishes from the Poly beach:goodvibes

I am IN! I am SO sorry to hear about your Mom...

:hug: thank you

I am growing more and more excited. Especially when I work with my co-worker Kathe! She is the one who is actually totally for me going! I planned this trip while working with her back in August :rotfl: shhhh don't tell the boss lady!

:cool1: you are a GENIUS! I would have never thought of that! I just may do that. Also, since I am so close to the 45 day mark, is it weird that I haven't gotten ANY paper work from Disney? Not even the coupon book or anything :confused3

I haven't been to LTT since 2005ish, when the characters still made rounds there. I love Tony's because of their zuichinni fries-yum!

I have never been to Artisit Point, Yachtsman or Narcoossee's (which I am a bit hesitant because I am allergic to seafood, buuuuut definitely not steak AND the night I am going to Narcoossee's is a very merry holiday party night and I want to watch the Holiday wishes from the Poly beach:goodvibes
I think I got an advertisement type of booklet before about 30 days out, and that was it (along with a couple useless pins :(). I'd expect the ME tags shortly after the 30 day mark, with the other booklet following soon.

The Narcoossee's plan sounds like a GREAT idea. I was going to do that for Wishes this year, but Kona won out. (And then we missed Wishes due to it taking too long...)

Another option, depending on how close it is, is to reduce the ticket length and/or options. That would save you the hassle of having to call and reupgrade as well, since you can do that in the parks for the same price. This is actually what a CM recommended to me AFTER I had already dropped the package down (go figure right).

I think I got an advertisement type of booklet before about 30 days out, and that was it (along with a couple useless pins :(). I'd expect the ME tags shortly after the 30 day mark, with the other booklet following soon.

The Narcoossee's plan sounds like a GREAT idea. I was going to do that for Wishes this year, but Kona won out. (And then we missed Wishes due to it taking too long...)

Another option, depending on how close it is, is to reduce the ticket length and/or options. That would save you the hassle of having to call and reupgrade as well, since you can do that in the parks for the same price. This is actually what a CM recommended to me AFTER I had already dropped the package down (go figure right).

ohhh I have thought of that. I did that before when my mom and I went on our 09 trip. plus we had tickets from the early 00s

my favorite part of the trip I took with my friend in January/Feb was watching Wishes from our own hammocks on the Poly beach.

Plus, I don't want to commit to the holiday party by buying the ticket when I will already spend a day and a half in the park and watch the fireworks from the resorts.

Good morning!

pixie dust by alwaysellen, on Flickr
my mom & I in front of Cinderella's Castle August 2009

me and mom chef mickey's by alwaysellen, on Flickr
Chef Mickey's :goodvibes

upload to flickr poly beach by alwaysellen, on Flickr
This picture is dear to me. After I returned from my trip in February with my friend, Lindsay, I printed out pictures and put them in my mom's hospital room. The nurse told me when my mom started to become scared the morning she passed away, she held this picture of me to her chest. I had her cremated with that picture of me. :sad1::sad1::sad1:
:littleangel: I love you, ma, always

Is there anything you want to do in Disney that your mom never got to do or you want to do the things that you both liked?

Which was your mom's favorite park? If you already stated that, I apologize. I didn't see it. Also, did she have a favorite ride? I think Disney will be a wonderful place for you to bond with your daughter when you get older, and she can hear all kinds of memories about her grandma there :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter