My Magical Journey to Running the Half Marathon TR Link! p.107

I was just looking through my most recent issue of Runner's World magazine and saw an ad for a series of events down in the Outber Banks in April. The Outber Banks is only an hour to an hour and a half drive for me. They have a triathlon, marathon, 5k and the Flying Pirate Half Marathon.

I decided to look at the website and the description of the course and pictures got me really excited. Part of the half runs through real wooded trails and near the Wright Brother's Memorial.

So, am I crazy to be thinking about registering for another half when I have yet to run even one race?? :dance3:

I have realized that I will always need to have some sort of event to train for or else I think I will be lazy about working out. I want to always be pushing myself to work harder and meet new goals. I started thinking that signing up for this race will achieve that for me. It will be held three months after the WDW half and I think that will be plenty of time for me to get a bit of a rest and begin training again.

I have until sometime in November to sign up and still receive the discounted rate. I think I'll wait a bit and see how my training progresses and go from there.

I did get my 3 mile run in on Saturday. I was a bit sore from all of the squats and lunges from the previous day, but I decided to go ahead with my run. I was able to get out early enough that the humidity didn't bother me too much. Thanks to my Garmin, I could tell that my sore legs were definitely affecting my speed. I felt like I was putting out a good effort, but my overall time was a bit on the slow side. Oh well. I know I can't do that kind of leg work before a long run next time. I'll have to move my schedule around. My legs are still sore today, but thankfully it's a rest day. :thumbsup2

I did 3.02 miles in 42 minutes.

Nope, I don't think you are crazy at all. I agree that having races to train for will keep you motivated. That's the way it would have to be for me. Otherwise, I would just be a slacker. :laughing:

I always like having a race on the horizon. So I don't think you are crazy at all! (Well not any crazier than any of us who actually run 13 miles for fun;))

It's great to find a thread like this. I just signed up for the Disney World Half Marathon in Jan. I have a 100 + pounds to lose, but I am working hard to get some of it off while training.
It seems like it is going to be so much fun, participating in this!! I am running to raise money for Comfort Zone Camp!

Good luck on your training!!!

I'm so excited I found your thread!! I ran the Princess in March and I'm running the half in January too. Hubby is running the Goofy Challenge -- half followed by the marathon the next day. Hubby is currently Coast Guard pilot but went to Naval Academy and was Navy for 10 years. I can't wait to follow your journey....

I'm working on losing weight too and training at the same time -- I lost a total of about 2 lbs training for the Princess. I have to keep telling myself that just because I am running does not mean that I can eat whatever I want!! uggh, no fun!

I do recommend registering for other races. I am more motivated by races than I am by training runs alone....

Best of luck! Disney races and the best and you will have the time of your life!!!

Actually, I wish I could run it with you!! :goodvibes Not crazy at all!

Nope, I don't think you are crazy at all. I agree that having races to train for will keep you motivated. That's the way it would have to be for me. Otherwise, I would just be a slacker. :laughing:

Go for it!!!!

Amanda

I always like having a race on the horizon. So I don't think you are crazy at all! (Well not any crazier than any of us who actually run 13 miles for fun;))

I don't think you are crazy at all! It sounds like a great idea.

Actually, I wish I could run it with you!! :goodvibes Not crazy at all!

After talking to Chuck, he doesn't think it will work out. His ship is getting ready to go into the yards for maintenance, but it will most likely be done in April and he'll have to go on short trips. We'll see what happens.

It's great to find a thread like this. I just signed up for the Disney World Half Marathon in Jan. I have a 100 + pounds to lose, but I am working hard to get some of it off while training.
It seems like it is going to be so much fun, participating in this!! I am running to raise money for Comfort Zone Camp!

Good luck on your training!!!

:welcome: Thanks for stopping by! Good luck in reaching your goals. :goodvibes

I'm so excited I found your thread!! I ran the Princess in March and I'm running the half in January too. Hubby is running the Goofy Challenge -- half followed by the marathon the next day. Hubby is currently Coast Guard pilot but went to Naval Academy and was Navy for 10 years. I can't wait to follow your journey....

I'm working on losing weight too and training at the same time -- I lost a total of about 2 lbs training for the Princess. I have to keep telling myself that just because I am running does not mean that I can eat whatever I want!! uggh, no fun!

I do recommend registering for other races. I am more motivated by races than I am by training runs alone....

Best of luck! Disney races and the best and you will have the time of your life!!!

:welcome: :wave: I knew I recognized your name. :thumbsup2 Glad to have another military wife along.

I don't think you are crazy for finding another race. I'm doing the princess in Febuary, a local 10K in October (still have to register for it). I already picked out the half I want to do in May.

I don't think you are crazy for finding another race. I'm doing the princess in Febuary, a local 10K in October (still have to register for it). I already picked out the half I want to do in May.

It wasn't another race that was making me think I was crazy. I have a 5k and 10k in October before I do the half in January. It was just signing up for another half. The idea of running 13.1 miles really doesn't excite me so I think I'm crazy for wanting to do another before I even know what one feels like. :rotfl::confused:

It wasn't another race that was making me think I was crazy. I have a 5k and 10k in October before I do the half in January. It was just signing up for another half. The idea of running 13.1 miles really doesn't excite me so I think I'm crazy for wanting to do another before I even know what one feels like. :rotfl::confused:

I think you'll find something else to plan and look forward to, maybe not this one but something else that feels less crazy? Having a plan and soemthing to look forward to is good, but you don't want to overwhelm yourself either.

I think you'll find something else to plan and look forward to, maybe not this one but something else that feels less crazy? Having a plan and soemthing to look forward to is good, but you don't want to overwhelm yourself either.

I'll definitely be looking for other things to keep me motivated. :thumbsup2

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend. Ours was pretty quiet. Baxter was neutered on Friday so we stayed around the house this weekend to keep an eye on him. Here is my sad looking puppy:

004-6.jpg

Yesterday, I was able to head outside for my long run. I did 4 miles in 53:38 and beat my previous time by five minutes. :cool1: It's amazing how much faster 4 miles outside goes than 4 miles on the treadmill. :rolleyes1 I felt great when I was done and have no worries about doing 5 miles now.

Two weeks are completed with my Jeff Galloway 10k training schedule. I wasn't good about cross-training last week, but hopefully this week will be better. As long as I get my three runs in each week and try to do the cross-training when I can, I'll be happy.

Coming up next I will post my itinerary for the trip. :thumbsup2

Hi there Carissa! I'm caught up and I have to say your training is IMPRESSIVE!! I love the new shirt...very cute. And you really do look amazing!

Poor Baxter having to wear the "cone of shame." :sad2:

Awesome on the 4 mile run! I'm with you about running outside! It is so much easier for me. The treadmill just seems like torture and the time just drags by! Awesome that you're gaining confidence. It is amazing how if you stick with a training program you eventually get there. I'm putting all my trust in that theory as I start my marathon training:scared1:

Hurray for a great run!!!

Poor Baxter -- first he gets neutered, and if that wasn't shaming enough, he has to wear that cone. (Just kidding -- he's still a cutie even if he is pretending to be an Elizabethan courtier. ;))

Awesome on the 4 mile run! I'm with you about running outside! It is so much easier for me. The treadmill just seems like torture and the time just drags by! Awesome that you're gaining confidence. It is amazing how if you stick with a training program you eventually get there. I'm putting all my trust in that theory as I start my marathon training:scared1:

I've never minded running on the treadmill. Well, until recently, I hadn't even run outside! :rotfl: It just seems to go by more quickly when my mind is occupied. My run on the treadmill today went by pretty quickly since I was entertained by the Housewives of New Jersey reunion show. :rolleyes1

I am feeling so much stronger as a runner these days! It feels good to be able to maintain a 5 mph pace. :thumbsup2 What is the longest distance you have run before? Good luck with your training! Any chance you'll do a PTR for the trip?

The Cone of Shame. Poor guy.

Great job on the training. Keep it up!

:welcome: I know. It's sad, isn't it? ;) And thanks!

Oh, poor Baxter. Still cute even with the cone.:goodvibes

Fantastic about the run!:thumbsup2

Thanks Melissa. Are you and Jonas still thinking of doing the half?

Hurray for a great run!!!

Poor Baxter -- first he gets neutered, and if that wasn't shaming enough, he has to wear that cone. (Just kidding -- he's still a cutie even if he is pretending to be an Elizabethan courtier. ;))

He looks so embarrassed wearing that thing. :guilty: He's been pretty good about not licking at his incision so I was able to keep the collar off most of the day yesterday and just put it on at night. Can't wait for him to be completely healed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter