My Magical Journey to Running the Half Marathon TR Link! p.107

Hi, carissanboys,

I was browsing the TR forum for some TR's to read, and I found a link to this PTR. It caught my interest because I'm in the middle of training for a marathon relay on May 1st (approx. a 10k), with the outside goal of maybe, maybe doing the half marathon at Disneyworld next year, if I don't die first. ;)

I'm almost 20, but I've NEVER been the physical type, and running is probably one of the things I do the worst. But some friends were putting together a relay team, and I though, what the hey! And signed up. I thought I was out of my mind bonkers several times, but slowly but surely, I'm beginning to realize that this might work.

I started out doing the C25k program, because it seemed like a very managable goal and something I knew I could commit to. I started running the first week of February, just three months from when the race is. It was KILLER. Oh man...I thought I was going to die several times, lol.

But, I pushed through it, and I'm happy to report that as of last week, I officially "completed" the C25k program by running 3 miles. (I switched to using a different training schedule a few weeks ago, to accomidate for the extra miles I was going to have to run in May). It took me 40 minutes of non-stop running, but I did it! I don't have access to a treadmill so I've done all my running outside, so I can't tell you how fast I was going, except that I know I was shuffling during some portions. ;) But I kpet going, and it felt SO good.

Now, it's upwards and onwards. I've been running/walking a three mile course this last month and a half, and this week is the first week I've had to expand it to five miles. That's a pretty big leap, but I've got a month and a half to pound it into submission.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that reading your PTR has encouraged me in my own running, and I hope my own story is an encouragement and a motivation to you as well. Who knows; maybe I'll see in you in the half-marathon next year? :)

The weather is warming up here, too, but with that comes rain. Oh well, I'd rather it be rainy than icy.

You need the family time. You've shown your tenacity. Enjoy the family, and you'll get back on track with your running in time. I'm looking forward to spring break next week, when I can finally get out and walk! :cool1:

Hope you get lots of nice weather for your spring break!

We'll be hanging in there and cheering you on-the fact that you,re thinking positively shows you'll do it. Life does have a habit of mucking up our routines doesn't it! Enjoy the break and then get back to it or there'll be no guiness drunk for you on St Paddy's day! Lol:scared1:

Oh no!! :scared1: I am bound and determined to get on the treadmill tomorrow. :thumbsup2

You can do it! I know for me the 25 minute run was so much easier than the 2 runs leading up to it.

I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt a 25 minute run after not doing anything all week.

Hi, carissanboys,

I was browsing the TR forum for some TR's to read, and I found a link to this PTR. It caught my interest because I'm in the middle of training for a marathon relay on May 1st (approx. a 10k), with the outside goal of maybe, maybe doing the half marathon at Disneyworld next year, if I don't die first. ;)

I'm almost 20, but I've NEVER been the physical type, and running is probably one of the things I do the worst. But some friends were putting together a relay team, and I though, what the hey! And signed up. I thought I was out of my mind bonkers several times, but slowly but surely, I'm beginning to realize that this might work.

I started out doing the C25k program, because it seemed like a very managable goal and something I knew I could commit to. I started running the first week of February, just three months from when the race is. It was KILLER. Oh man...I thought I was going to die several times, lol.

But, I pushed through it, and I'm happy to report that as of last week, I officially "completed" the C25k program by running 3 miles. (I switched to using a different training schedule a few weeks ago, to accomidate for the extra miles I was going to have to run in May). It took me 40 minutes of non-stop running, but I did it! I don't have access to a treadmill so I've done all my running outside, so I can't tell you how fast I was going, except that I know I was shuffling during some portions. ;) But I kpet going, and it felt SO good.

Now, it's upwards and onwards. I've been running/walking a three mile course this last month and a half, and this week is the first week I've had to expand it to five miles. That's a pretty big leap, but I've got a month and a half to pound it into submission.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that reading your PTR has encouraged me in my own running, and I hope my own story is an encouragement and a motivation to you as well. Who knows; maybe I'll see in you in the half-marathon next year? :)

:welcome: Good for you! Your story is definitely motivating! Thanks for stopping by and sharing it. :goodvibes

I made it on the treadmill today!!!! First workout since last Saturday. :eek: My body has just not been very cooperative lately. The last few days my stomach has been giving me a hard time. I'm not sure if it's a bug or stuff I've been eating or what. But, anyway...

Today I decided to attempt the Luck of the IWISH virtual 5K instead of trying to do the 25 minute run. I did a 5 minute walk warm up and then restarted my treadmill so that I could start running for the 5K and not have to count my warm up time. Running felt great!!! I even increased my speed to 4.5 because I felt so good. Stupid mistake. The first mile was great, but then I crashed hard. I managed to throw in another couple of run intervals (about 5 minutes each), but had to walk towards the end and only managed to do two miles in about 35 minutes (counting the inital warm up and the cool down).

But, I am totally happy with that. I'm glad I finally got back on the treadmill and knowing how I've been feeling all week, I consider today a success. :thumbsup2

And the other good news is that I've lost another 3 pounds!! :cool1: :cool1: Now, that could very well be due to the stomach "bug" but I'll take whatever I can get. ;)

We are getting ready to head to Williamsburg and hang out with my family. My parents spent Thursday night here with us, but they're now at a condo for a few days. And I'm going to get to see some cousins who I haven't seen in many years and one child of a cousin who I have never met (and he's 6!).

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! :goodvibes

Great job getting back on the treadmill! It sounds like you've already figured this out, but it is actually better to start off slow and speed up towards the end of a workout instead of the other way around. Seems counter intuitive, but it makes the run much easier. Have a fun weekend with family:goodvibes

Great job getting back on! The important thing is that you did something, that's all that matters!

Congrats on the 3 pounds and have a GREAT time with your family!

Sorry I haven't posted more on here Carissa, it's been hard keeping up with all of the threads and life-stuff too.

Just getting back to exercising after being off for a while is a success! And yay on losing some more weight.

I was able to jog once this week, the first time since January I think. My normal trail was locked where I usually get on it, but I was able to get on it by another direction. I think it was locked because of the snow we've had, but all the snow was melted when I went. The only bad thing with it being locked was that I couldn't judge how far I've deteriorated. I know how long it used to take me to run it and now I had to change it up. So, instead I just ran for the normal length of time I used to run, but I know I was slower. Well, like I said, just getting out there was a success.

:thumbsup2Congratulations on your weight loss and giving the 5k a go. See what happens when the threat of No Guinness happens:rotfl:

Doing my run tonight all being well-fingers crossed I make it in 1 piece!:yay:

It's mothers day here today so I've already been brought breakfast in bed (and it was real food as opposed to the sponge cake they made me a couple of years back-tho lets face it cake, bed and tea is a pretty good combination:rotfl2:) and a passporter guide book:woohoo:
Never owned 1 of these so I will have fun using it.
Well done again Carissa:thumbsup2

I hope you don't mind another visitor! I'm trying to do the C25K but I'm coming along slowly. It's taken me from the beginning of January until now to get to week 4! And it's hard!!! I'm so impressed with you. I would LOVE to do a half-marathon next January! You're doing so awesome!!!

Amanda

Congrats Carissa! You should be happy with that! :thumbsup2

Have a great time with your family!! :)

Thanks! Had a blast yesterday, but I was so tired driving home last night. Sully is staying with the fam again today. The younger two and I are staying home and getting some things done. We'll drive over for the day again tomorrow and then stay a couple of nights in Williamsburg.

Great job getting back on the treadmill! It sounds like you've already figured this out, but it is actually better to start off slow and speed up towards the end of a workout instead of the other way around. Seems counter intuitive, but it makes the run much easier. Have a fun weekend with family:goodvibes

Yeah, I knew that, but I think I was surprised at how good running felt and I wanted to get a better time so I just went a bit faster. I did the same thing on my first virtual 5K, but I hadn't taken a week off or been under the weather so it didn't affect me so much.

Congrats! Have a great time with family!

Thanks!

Great job getting back on! The important thing is that you did something, that's all that matters!

Congrats on the 3 pounds and have a GREAT time with your family!

I agree! It's sticking with it that matters to me. And seeing the 3 pounds lost after not having worked out all week was a huge motivator for me.

Sorry I haven't posted more on here Carissa, it's been hard keeping up with all of the threads and life-stuff too.

Just getting back to exercising after being off for a while is a success! And yay on losing some more weight.

I was able to jog once this week, the first time since January I think. My normal trail was locked where I usually get on it, but I was able to get on it by another direction. I think it was locked because of the snow we've had, but all the snow was melted when I went. The only bad thing with it being locked was that I couldn't judge how far I've deteriorated. I know how long it used to take me to run it and now I had to change it up. So, instead I just ran for the normal length of time I used to run, but I know I was slower. Well, like I said, just getting out there was a success.

Don't worry about it, Glenn! Stop by when you can. This PTR will be going for a good long while. ;)

Awesome on getting back out there! I'm sure your speed will come back quickly. :thumbsup2

Great job Carissa! :thumbsup2

Have a fun trip!

Thanks Amy!

Congrats!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Thanks! Heading out to the store today and taking my younger two out for lunch. :)

:thumbsup2Congratulations on your weight loss and giving the 5k a go. See what happens when the threat of No Guinness happens:rotfl:

Exactly! ;)

Doing my run tonight all being well-fingers crossed I make it in 1 piece!:yay:

It's mothers day here today so I've already been brought breakfast in bed (and it was real food as opposed to the sponge cake they made me a couple of years back-tho lets face it cake, bed and tea is a pretty good combination:rotfl2:) and a passporter guide book:woohoo:
Never owned 1 of these so I will have fun using it.
Well done again Carissa:thumbsup2

Good luck on your run! And Happy Mother's Day! Sounds like a lovely one so far. :goodvibes

Great stuff Carissa! 3 pounds - whoo hoo!!!:cool1:

You are doing awesome!:goodvibes

Thanks!

I hope you don't mind another visitor! I'm trying to do the C25K but I'm coming along slowly. It's taken me from the beginning of January until now to get to week 4! And it's hard!!! I'm so impressed with you. I would LOVE to do a half-marathon next January! You're doing so awesome!!!

Amanda

:welcome: We always have room for more! We all have our own journey to get there. Doesn't matter what week you're on - just the fact that you've been running since January is great! :thumbsup2

So proud of you getting back out there! Awesome! You are so right, anything is a great thing!

Hope you had a super fun time catching up with the family- that's important too. :thumbsup2

You are doing a great job Carissa! Your determination is an inspiration! Keep it up!

I hope you had a fabulous time with family this past weekend. :goodvibes

Oh...Dan is headed your way April 9-13 for his band and chorus trip! They are staying in Virginia Beach, going to Busch Gardens, performing at Norfolk State University, touring the USS Wisconsin and the Nauticus museum, and visiting Colonial Williamsburg. It should be a great trip!

And the other good news is that I've lost another 3 pounds!! :cool1: :cool1: Now, that could very well be due to the stomach "bug" but I'll take whatever I can get. ;)

I have had a bug for a couple of days, too. I told Jill I might be able to lose some weight if I could stick to this 'half a cracker a day' diet! :laughing:

Congratulations on the continued progress. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter