My lesson learned on The Dis

snoodledoo

Loves Jiminy Cricket
I posted my trip report in March. I've since gone back to see if anyone had any questions/comments and there were a couple of negative comments that really upset me. :sad1:

I put in my report that while DH, DD & DS rode Dumbo, I got in line for Peter Pan and they joined me. I had no idea this was a major offense! As a matter of fact, the man & his son in front of us were in line for some time and then his wife and daughter and baby joined them. It didn't upset us in the least. We didn't bat an eye when he and his son then left the line and came back a little bit later. Anyhow, in my trip report thread, it was called to my attention that, apparently, this is equivalent to cutting in line.

DH and I would not think of doing this if we were in a party of many people, but it never occurred to us that this is unacceptable for a foursome. Consider us educated. (And please, don't flame us for our ignorance!)

:grouphug: I tend to not stray too far from this board and the "DL hyena chat thread" for that same reason. I posted a question while back on a different board about a disney movie - and the flaming began!!! I am glad you guys had such a wonderful trip - and I wouldn't let the negativity get you down. I too am guilty of line holding - did this at the PFF in October to ensure that DD could see all the princessess - so we can be flamed together!!!
flaming.gif

Big deal Dissssssers! It was only a party of four. what if there was someone who had to potty? should everyone get out of line? Since her family would sit together it is not like 10 mins was added to the wait time. Enjoy your future trips. :) DL is a place for families. In the unofficial guide, one parent would wait in line while the other parent kept the kids busy. I would not be upset if I was behind you.

Hey I have young kids and I tell ya what dear, if they can't take the line then I do take them out of line for a few minutes.
Oh what about a toddler and the "I HAVE TO GO POTTY MOMMY/DADDY"? I would NEVER even think to give a person a cross look for something like that.
The only thing that gets me is when you have one person saving a spot for a large group (8 or more) of adults or teens. JMO but they can wait in lines while younger kids can't always do that.

Don't let those other DISers get to ya dear, they are only a few folks.

:grouphug:

I agree all the way with Dizzy, you had a great time and don't let some silly comments ruin things. Most people are thrilled to read trip reports, there will always be someone who feels the need to comment negatively! No flames here, if I am in line for Peter Pan for a half hour and all of a sudden my three year old has to go potty immediately (doesn't happen, luckily) but I would have no qualms about sending DH and her to go and then re-join me!!!

Andrea

I missed the original thread, but I totally agree with the above posters - it's just not that big of a deal in most situations - I agree with the above poster that it does get more than a little irritating when a large group does this, I'm thinking of the large groups of teenagers in particular - however, a family w/ young children, I can't even imagine anyone getting upset about! Especially since it really doesn't even increase wait time on most rides since the family rides together.

Don't let them get to you! It's flat out rude on their part imo.

Denise, I think the real issue is that some posters were jealous of the amazing prize you won and obviously wanted to make you feel bad. Don't buy into it. You didn't do anything wrong and I am so happy for you and your family that you got to stay in Mickey's Penthouse! Congratulations on such a wonderful Dream Prize at DL!
:thumbsup2

Oh my -- Denise, you got to stay in Mickey's Penthouse? Wow, that must have been so amazing! What a wonderful memory for your family. I didn't happen to ready the report -- are there any pics?? I'm glad you had a great time (and yes, ignore any negative posts!) :wizard:

OK -- update: I did just read your trip report and saw all the cool pics! It is so exciting that someone on the Dis got to stay in Mickey's Penthouse. How fun!

We just came back from Disney (DW and DS 3.5), and saw that occur occassionally. IMO it is sometimes irritating and sometimes fine. I actually think that what you did would be kind of irritating to those people waiting in line. If many families did that, people would have no clue as to how long a line wait really was and could be stuck in line much longer than they were led to believe. However, if a parent removes a child needing the potty or temporary comfort and then returns then I would think most people would be fine with that.

The difference is place keeping versus handling a child. No one seems to like it when a large group or group of teens does it, but the offense is the same in your case, where you were just holding a place while the rest of your family did another attraction.

We really didn't get upset - life is too short, but I can understand why some people that are waiting in long hot lines may get irritated.

People get mad, so what? I always get mad at certain guest but its not like they can do anything about it. Just ignore it and you be fine. ^_^

Dad Z, How on earth would you ever know why someone was doing that? It's not really feasible to ask them if their child was using the potty or just on another ride, then decide to smile or act rude! It's not as though she used that technique for every ride on her trip, it happened one time. I am always amazed at what people get upset over when they are at the Happiest Place on Earth!! Not specifically you, just people in general who post these things on what should be a happy post!

One day it might be you it happens to and if you stood in line for 30 minutes and then had to leave the line for some reason, only to then have to tell your child that yes, you did wait 30 minutes already but now you have to wait more while your mom and brother enjoy the attraction since it wouldn't be PC to rejoin them since someone might get offended. That's insane!

Or even if the child had to go on the way to the line, of course I would go ahead and get in line, it's that much less we have to wait with the kids!! You say that people post that no one likes it when teens do it but it's okay for a child and that can be seen as discriminating, well so is saying that the reason why they had to rejoin her makes a difference. You either accept it or you don't, whether they went to the potty or were enjoying another ride while someone in their party who would have just been sitting decided to kill some time in line.

Sorry if this didn't make total sense, it was hard to articulate this post and say what I meant to say!

Andrea

I did not say that I was against parents taking a potty child out of line or even getting in line while a child goes potty - same goes for a crying child, and then returning to line. Everyone in line benefits from that. What I think people sometimes get upset over is one family member holding a line position for the whole family.

You are right that it may be impossible to know for sure what the case is, which is one reason we didn't get upset. But as this post shows, people do it. And while doing it once is certainly no big deal, I'd bet that some people do this regularly as a strategy.

You are right, even at DL there are people that will do this as a part of their routine. But I think in reading her trip report, you could tell that it was honest and that was not the case. I agree that people have the right to get upset over it, but what good does that do, you know?

I didn't mean you in particular, sorry if it sounded that way. Just wondered why people came on her trip report just to be negative!

Andrea

And when you really weigh how much it affected others in line . . . it was one ship extra that they had to wait. About, um, 15 seconds. I don't think I would get my panties in a bunch over 15 seconds. :sad2:

Maybe I should clarify my post. It does give me a bit of a burr when one adult/teen holds a spot for a large group who are out enjoying another ride. I have a hard time explaining to my children why this happens and they just don’t get it. I make my children wait as much as I can because it is the proper thing to do.

I do not have an issue with the small group of adult/teens who do the bathroom trip or the “I will wait in this line because I don’t do that ride” thing. Again it is the large groups that bug me.
Now let me finish with, the burr does not last long enough to make a dent in my day, just a small small blink of irritation.

I posted my trip report in March. I've since gone back to see if anyone had any questions/comments and there were a couple of negative comments that really upset me. :sad1:

I put in my report that while DH, DD & DS rode Dumbo, I got in line for Peter Pan and they joined me. I had no idea this was a major offense! As a matter of fact, the man & his son in front of us were in line for some time and then his wife and daughter and baby joined them. It didn't upset us in the least. We didn't bat an eye when he and his son then left the line and came back a little bit later. Anyhow, in my trip report thread, it was called to my attention that, apparently, this is equivalent to cutting in line.

DH and I would not think of doing this if we were in a party of many people, but it never occurred to us that this is unacceptable for a foursome. Consider us educated. (And please, don't flame us for our ignorance!)

I'm not going to read the thread. Let me just say if there was a lot of flaming and name calling and such that is wrong. But the mere pointing out that it is cutting in line by wouldn't be wrong and I would not consider that a flame. And the fact is it is cutting in line, not for you but for those that joined you. The logic that "were a small party" is faulty. There are a far greater number of people total in small parties than there are in huge ones. So if all small groups did this, then we'd have more total people cutting than if all big groups did it. That's why it's against the rules.

Oh what about a toddler and the "I HAVE TO GO POTTY MOMMY/DADDY"? I would NEVER even think to give a person a cross look for something like that
This is different than the OP's situation. In that one, there was no potty emergency and the 3 that joined her never waited in the line. This is a situation where they waited in the line and an emergency came up. I think most people would understand and spread a bit of magic by not making them wait twice. Note that if a person did not want to let them back by, they would not be required to.

Just my 2 cents worth... I think for a party of 4 it's not a big deal. :confused3

What gets my panties in a bunch is when the other people in the party try to get back in line when you have already gotten into your "row line" if that makes sense (usually when there are only 2 or 3 rides infront of you before you board). I doubt that Disney would allow that anyways, but it has happened to me at other parks.

Also when the people getting back into line push past you without saying "excuse me" or "I'm sorry". A little bit of manners can't hurt.

Can't we all just get along? :hippie:

Snoodledoo: I just read your trip report and thoroughly enjoyed it and am so happy you won that prize! Very exciting for you and exciting for all of us to see those great pictures. Don't let a few people's opinion bother you. Sometimes the dis gets a bit moody and judgemental. I myself have come away bruised and bloody from a few threads myself lately! Thanks so much for your trip report.

Don't let what others said get you down. I think what you did sounds perfectly fine. I wouldn't have been bothered one bit. We did something similar for PFF. I had DD4 getting her hair done while DD13 waited in line for the princesses. We finished with the hair just as DD got to the front of the princess line. Nobody was bothered by it, and in fact commented that it was a great way to keep the little one busy. Sometimes you have to do stuff like that with little ones.

However, another situation, we were in line for Matterhorn, had been separated from DH and DS for a while, and they found us in line. He wasn't going to join us, since the line was very long and we had been in it for a while, but the people behind us told him come on in. He felt a little uncomfortable about it, but the people around us insisted. Very nice people!! Bottom line is you can never please everybody around you, so don't bother trying. As long as you feel what you did is okay, that's all that matters. Some people live for finding things to complain about. Don't let them ruin your trip!

I'll go look for your trip report now. Can't wait to see the pictures. Congratulations on your big win!!

To the OP. It wouldn't and doesn't bother us at all. My kids are older now (20&10), but I use to have a toddler in a stroller at Disney too and I've been there, done that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter