My kids told their teachers today they were going to disney

kandb

DIS Veteran
We are taking our children out of 3rd grade next week to go to disney, they will be missing 3 1/2 days of school. Both teachers said the same thing, they did last year when they missed a week of school:

"Can I please go with you!!!". At least I know my kid's teachers are human:thumbsup2

We are leaving in 2 weeks and I am pulling our 3rd grader and Kindergartener out for 3 1/2 days too. I was nervous about going in September but hopefully it will work out!

Great to hear!! I will be sending my first note to the teacher next week, as we leave in 2 weeks for our family vacation in Disney!! I can't imagine a kindergarten teacher having too much trouble with it!!

Enjoy your vacation!!

I'm a teacher, and I know my school made it an excused absence (educational opportunity) if the child came back with some sort of presentation. Might be worth looking to see if that's a possibility at your child's school.

I took my dd out of school in grade 12 for a week to go to Disney ... Our first time ever! She was (and still is) an honour student, and her teachers had the same reaction ... 'wish I could go too!' :)

We also went on a 3 week trip to Vietnam when she was in Grade 11 (with my 2 younger daughters as well, to see their birth country). Not a single teacher assigned any work for her to do, except to enjoy the experience.

She is now in her 4th year at Queen's University (political science) & has a full time job as Commissioner of Academic Affairs.

I don't think going to Disney for a week has negatively impacted her academic life at all! :)

At the end of October we are going back to Disney :cool1: My younger daughters are now in grade 7 & 8, and their teachers are not worried at all about them missing school. I'm very thankful that all of my girls (and my son too!) are hard working and responsible kids. If they weren't, I'd be going to Disney without them;)

I took my dd out of school in grade 12 for a week to go to Disney ... Our first time ever! She was (and still is) an honour student, and her teachers had the same reaction ... 'wish I could go too!' :)

We also went on a 3 week trip to Vietnam when she was in Grade 11 (with my 2 younger daughters as well, to see their birth country). Not a single teacher assigned any work for her to do, except to enjoy the experience.

She is now in her 4th year at Queen's University (political science) & has a full time job as Commissioner of Academic Affairs.

I don't think going to Disney for a week has negatively impacted her academic life at all! :)

At the end of October we are going back to Disney :cool1: My younger daughters are now in grade 7 & 8, and their teachers are not worried at all about them missing school. I'm very thankful that all of my girls (and my son too!) are hard working and responsible kids. If they weren't, I'd be going to Disney without them;)

That's odd. My son came home yesterday saying that someone told his AP Economics teacher that they were missing Monday to go to a wedding in DC. Apparently, she wasn't too happy...

As a teacher I am always excited when a student gets the opportunity to go to Disney. One of my students leaves in 2 weeks. The only time I have a problem with it is if the student is struggling to keep up on a normal basis or if they don't make up the work. Last year I had cousins in my class go to WDW for a week. I spent a long time putting together their assignments before they left - per parents request. 1 of the kids did some of the work. The other kid did none of the work and nearly failed in all subjects for the nine weeks because of the trip. I teach at a private school in a class of 6-7th graders.

I am pulling my 4 kids (2nd, 5th, 9th, 11th grade) out of school at the end of October for a week to go to WDW. We haven't been able to go in 4 years. We are already starting to prepare the teachers.

:rotfl: I read this and laughed. We had parent information night at school tonight (I teach 3rd grade) and I told my parents I would be missing 3 days of school to go to Disney next month. Several of my students told me they would fit in my suitcase. :)

I emailed all 16 teachers :eek: a few days before school began. I've heard back from 5 total.

I think I'm more concerned than they are.

We're also pulling the kids out for 3 1/2 days next week for WDW, maybe we'll see ya there!

I emailed all 16 teachers :eek: a few days before school began. I've heard back from 5 total.

I think I'm more concerned than they are.

When was the first day of school? I only ask because, if it was recent (like this week), then I'd try to give them a day or two to respond. We're in our second week and I feel like I can barely keep my head above water this year! Hopefully, they will email you back. If you don't hear from them by a week before you leave, then I would definitely email them again to remind them.

Love this thread! We are taking ours out for 4 1/2 days in October (1st and 5th grade) but I haven't told the teachers yet. We do this every two years.

Believe it or not, in 2010 we were standing in line for a ride and my daughter started talking to a woman, who turned out to be her teacher!! This was the last week of September. I thought boy when I told the teacher we were going that week she must have thought wow I hope I don't run into you!

Our school is closed for 2 1/2 days around Columbus Day, so I figured since I had to find somewhere for my kids to be those 2 1/2 days I might as well take the whole week off from work and take them. The school makes it easy to do this (although I don't think that was their intention). Then 3 weeks later they are closed again for 2 days.

As a teacher myself, I don't mind if kids take time off to go on a family vacation.... As long as.....the parents make up the important work with them and they don't expect me to get their kids caught up after missing a week of school. In 2009 I took my son out of second grade for a week in October to go to Disney. No, we didn't do any work while we were there, but I made sure we did all of the assigned work when we returned.

My DD is a sophomore in HS and will miss 1 day of school for our Disney trip this year. Our school district gets a Thu-Fri Fall Break each year. We are flying down Wed after school and back Mon afternoon (that's the day she'll miss).

She missed 2-3 days of school for our Disney trips in 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 9th grade. Our school district has a pretty strict attendance policy but I've never had a problem with the days she missed for vacation. And DD has always been an excellent student -she's taking Honors and AP classes now - so missing a few days of school for Disney over the years hasn't hurt her academically. ;)

We were afraid last year to take our kids out of school for Disney because we had never done it before. But, we did. They were in 12th, 7th, 5th, and 2nd grade. It was NOT a problem and they only missed 3 days of school (in November). The only time it's a big problem is if it's during exam times and/or if they're struggling.

It worked so well that we're going back this November and I am planning to tell the teachers in a few more weeks.

We have made several trips over the year during school with no problems (I thought). This year our girls are in 10th and 12 th grade. I told them that I had booked a trip for the first week of October back before school started (2nd week of August). THey started making noises about missing days. Come to find out, when we wen back in December they missed two days and it was very hard to get caught up, especially for older daughter with honors and AP. This time they both have honors and AP Lit classes, my senior's class is worse than either of my college Lit classes were. This time DH andI are going alone while they stay here and stay caught up. Factor in to that the fact that they both march (older is section leader) and now I discover that this is a week before marching festival! It really does get harder as they get further along in school, enjoy these trips while you can!

It really does get harder as they get further along in school, enjoy these trips while you can!

That's kind of what I figure. My DDs are in 5th and K and I am guessing this will probably be one of our last times to be able to do this as we're taking them out for 2 weeks in Oct! But, I know as my eldest gets into the higher grades, it will be more difficult for her to make up the work.

We are going week after next and had about the same reaction from our 8th grader's teachers. One even made a very strong argument for having the time off exused as an educational trip. I was very happy.

At my son's school we have to send a note to the principal at least 2 weeks in advance. She will approve it as an excused absence as long as the child is not having attendance issues or severe academic issues.

My son will be missing the week prior to Christmas break. I've already talked to his teacher about it and she said it was a great time to go since they usually are winding down before the vacation.

The school district does not allow vacations during Sep or May, the first and last months of school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter