My kids don't misbehave but...

Hoyt31

Earning My Ears
If my son decides to misbehave in WDW what are some good strategies? Is there a time out chair somewhere or should I threaten him with the hall of presidents?:lmao: I sure he will be on his best behavior with no incidents.

If my son decides to misbehave in WDW what are some good strategies? Is there a time out chair somewhere or should I threaten him with the hall of presidents?:lmao: I sure he will be on his best behavior with no incidents.

popcorn::

I think most kids are pretty good there. Unless they get over tired and in that case we just leave.
I find anywhere for time out. I have sat down in the middle of the grocery store on the floor with mine for time out before. There are lots of benches and empty spaces along walls that would make good time out spots.

Hahahaha Hall of Presidents....classic!

Most meltdowns are because of the heat and being tired. Its expected with kids, even my hubby. My kids are mostly well behaved too but there no :littleangel:'s There are lotsa benches and baby stations...if that dont work
you could make them go on/in Narnia....:rotfl:

I bring bubble necklaces from the dollar store. If I think they need something to occupy them before a meltdown or fit I get them out they get quiet quickly

I'd consider buying a handful of Disney Dollars that are his to spend, but only after a reasonable stay to prevent impulse spending. These are in your possession, not his. Let him know that positive or negative behavior will be rewarded by either adding to them or taking away from them, which will affect the quality or size of his chosen souvenir. Ideally he will set his sights on something really cool then do his absolute best to build his spending potential. I would issue warnings, of course, to remind him of the arrangement if there is a meltdown. How old is he? I may be totally off base here if he is very young.

I don't believe in bribing kids to get them to behave, whether it's with money or gifts or food. Good behavior is expected all the time with no rewards. Of course they will have temper tantrums. Let them. Sit down and wait it out. When it's run its course, ask them if they are done so we can go have fun now. Be matter of fact about it. Don't get sucked into their emotion. If they learn that nothing good comes from temper-tantrums, pouting, whining, etc. it will stop for the most part.

Please, please don't use time out. :(

Poor little pumpkins. We do find an area for DD's to sit in and have some Peace Time. They can sit there as short or as long a time as they need until they feel ready to "make a change" as we call it. It is more of a positive thing then a punishment.

My DD had a breakdown at Coral Reef last year and I took her out of the dining area... over near the bathrooms and found a ledge for her to sit on while she figured things out for herself. I sat with her.

You can find a peace area pretty much anywhere... but at home they have a nice fluffy throw rug, a big pillow and some books. At school they have stress balls and such for the kids ~ of course you won't want to lug that stuff.

Oh and it will happen.... just watch for signs! Take advantage of the baby/mom areas as they are usually empty and can really help with overstimulation.

I think a good strategy is being aware of your kids' emotions, and averting a meltdown/misbehavior before it happens. If you notice him/her getting even a *smidge* cranky-- leave what you're doing, sit down, get a soda/snack/ice cream and just take a group "time out." Find out what they want to do, sometimes this doesn't go along with your best-laid plans. Sometimes kids feel like they have no control over a situation, and they rebel. Sometimes you have to re-negotiate your plans. This even works for grumpy husbands.

Granted, many misbehaviors come out of the blue and smack you upside the head. At that point, leave hubby and the other kiddos in a general area, let them do their thing, and pick and (secluded if possible) bench and then employ the good old fashioned time out. If that fails, there's always negative reinforcement. Return the toy they just bought. Toss that candy in the trash. Give their balloon to a well-behaved child walking by. Sometimes you need to play hardball!

I'm no expert, I haven't written any books, this is just what's worked for our family. Maybe it'll help you.

We try and keep her from misbehaving before she even starts.
We give her the talk before we leave the room each morning. Mostly she is so excited that she did not have any meltdowns. We try to pace ourselves so she was never to tired. A big key to our happiness was keeping my husband fed. If he is grouchy, we are all grouchy. He will go without eating until he is half starved and acting like a 4 yr old. Thank the Gods for those turkey legs we kept getting cause he has never said no to those.

We had a time during ds16's first trip (he was 4 then) when he needed his own space for a few minutes to calm down. Dh chose one of those red phone booths in the UK in Epcot. Ds was able to be inside it with the door open---his own area yet still connected to us.

We take a picture of him in the phone booth every trip :)

I thought all misbehaving children were sent to It's a Small World and left there to sing for eternity. ;)

But in all seriousness, between hot weather, waiting in lines, sleep and eating schedules getting thrown off, and just general overstimulation, even the best behaved children (and heck, a lot of adults too) can suffer meltdowns. The best advice I can offer is: try to stick to a somewhat normal bedtime, work as much "non-junk" food into their meals as is possible when eating at the parks, take mid-afternoon breaks, bring something to keep them busy in line (card games, a doodle pad to draw on or play tic tack toe, etc), have them drink plenty of fluids, throw a few snacks in your bag to ward off hunger, and be flexible.

Take him on "It's a small World" and tell him that's what happens to all little kids that misbehave. :scared1:

P.S. I'm just kidding!

I agree with those that have said to be flexible, watch for signs of crankiness coming and head it off before it takes off, and take breaks for them to get some activity down time now and then.

I've also used the 'negative reinforcement' as someone else suggested. DD is really a rather well behaved preschooler but she's had her moments from time to time. We were at the video store once and I'd let her pick out a kids movie to rent. As we were approaching the checkout counter she saw the candy stand and wouldn't listen the first time I said no. After starting to whine and beg I gave her exactly one warning that if she didn't stop then, I'd put the movie back and we'd leave. She didn't stop so I handed the movie over the counter to the clerk and said "Please give this to a child who's behaving today." Away we went empty-handed. She remembered the incident when we went back a month later and did great.

Usually though, I just need to set expectations ahead of time (no surprises), be realistic with what she can handle, and - if we start heading down the road of being naughty - remove her from the situation and redirect her attention.

Good luck!

Ok I'm not exactly recommending this as a strategy, but I thought some of you frustrated parents of older toddlers and pre-schoolers might get a laugh from it lol. We took DD last year for the first time, she had just turned 3. She didn't know what to expect, it was our first big trip, first airplane ride, etc. She was totally overstimulated and excited from the moment we got on the first plane. We were staying at Fort Wilderness in a cabin and the first day we woke up to go to the park and she was just acting terrible, which was a bad sign at the start of the first day lol. She was whiny, hyper, wouldn't eat, wouldn't get dressed, you name it. We finally make it out of the cabin to walk to the buses and she's still acting up. Wouldn't walk, wouldn't sit in the stroller, sooo frustrating. This was not her normal behavior lol! My husband spots this CM coming up the road in a stretch golf cart picking up the trash bags from the cans outside the cabins. He points to it and tells dd something like "See that? They're coming around and picking up the naughty kids to go to Garbagetown while the other kids are in Disneyworld all day." :rotfl: She looked mortified and she shaped up so fast! It was all I could do to hold a straight face and not bust out laughing. Parenting at it's finest? No. But sometimes you run out of tricks in the bag and have to wing it. :laughing: For the rest of the trip whenever she would start to act up, DH would give her this look and she'd say something like "I'm sorry, please don't send me to Garbagetown." :rolleyes1 She's 4 now and we watched Wall-E together recently, she leans over and tells me that Wall-E is in charge of cleaning up Garbagetown! I couldn't believe she remembered that from a year ago lol, I tried to explain to her that there was no such place and she didn't believe me! Anyways this thread just reminded me of that, I hope nobody thinks we're awful parents lol. It's one of those things that you can't "un-say" after you've said it if you know what I mean. Kids will be kids, my biggest tip is that if your kid still take naps at home, try to schedule some into your trip. Long hot days coupled with changes in schedules, tons of sugar and no naps is a recipe for disaster lol. Good luck and I hope ya'll have a great time!!

Val

Take him on "It's a small World" and tell him that's what happens to all little kids that misbehave. :scared1:

P.S. I'm just kidding!

:rotfl:

Actually I don't have to worry about my girls, it's my DH that I sometimes have to worry about and if he misbehaves, I threaten to put him on IASM. :goodvibes

Ok I'm not exactly recommending this as a strategy, but I thought some of you frustrated parents of older toddlers and pre-schoolers might get a laugh from it lol. We took DD last year for the first time, she had just turned 3. She didn't know what to expect, it was our first big trip, first airplane ride, etc. She was totally overstimulated and excited from the moment we got on the first plane. We were staying at Fort Wilderness in a cabin and the first day we woke up to go to the park and she was just acting terrible, which was a bad sign at the start of the first day lol. She was whiny, hyper, wouldn't eat, wouldn't get dressed, you name it. We finally make it out of the cabin to walk to the buses and she's still acting up. Wouldn't walk, wouldn't sit in the stroller, sooo frustrating. This was not her normal behavior lol! My husband spots this CM coming up the road in a stretch golf cart picking up the trash bags from the cans outside the cabins. He points to it and tells dd something like "See that? They're coming around and picking up the naughty kids to go to Garbagetown while the other kids are in Disneyworld all day." :rotfl: She looked mortified and she shaped up so fast! It was all I could do to hold a straight face and not bust out laughing. Parenting at it's finiest? No. But sometimes you run out of tricks in the bag and have to wing it. :laughing: For the rest of the trip whenever she would start to act up, DH would give her this look and she'd say something like "I'm sorry, please don't send me to Garbagetown." :rolleyes1 She's 4 now and we watched Wall-E recently, she leans over and tells me that Wall-E in charge of cleaning up Garbagetown! I couldn't believe she remembered that from a year ago lol, I had to explain to her that there was no such place and she didn't believe me! Anyways this thread just reminded me of that, I hope noone thinks we're awful parents lol. It's one of those things that you can't "un-say" after you've said it if you know what I mean. Kids will be kids, my biggest tip is that if your kid still take naps at home, try to schedule some into your trip. Long hot days coupled with changes in schedules, tons of sugar and no naps is a recipe for disaster lol. Good luck and I hope ya'll have a great time!!

Val

LMAO!!! :lmao:

Ok I'm not exactly recommending this as a strategy, but I thought some of you frustrated parents of older toddlers and pre-schoolers might get a laugh from it lol. We took DD last year for the first time, she had just turned 3. She didn't know what to expect, it was our first big trip, first airplane ride, etc. She was totally overstimulated and excited from the moment we got on the first plane. We were staying at Fort Wilderness in a cabin and the first day we woke up to go to the park and she was just acting terrible, which was a bad sign at the start of the first day lol. She was whiny, hyper, wouldn't eat, wouldn't get dressed, you name it. We finally make it out of the cabin to walk to the buses and she's still acting up. Wouldn't walk, wouldn't sit in the stroller, sooo frustrating. This was not her normal behavior lol! My husband spots this CM coming up the road in a stretch golf cart picking up the trash bags from the cans outside the cabins. He points to it and tells dd something like "See that? They're coming around and picking up the naughty kids to go to Garbagetown while the other kids are in Disneyworld all day." :rotfl: She looked mortified and she shaped up so fast! It was all I could do to hold a straight face and not bust out laughing. Parenting at it's finiest? No. But sometimes you run out of tricks in the bag and have to wing it. :laughing: For the rest of the trip whenever she would start to act up, DH would give her this look and she'd say something like "I'm sorry, please don't send me to Garbagetown." :rolleyes1 She's 4 now and we watched Wall-E recently, she leans over and tells me that Wall-E in charge of cleaning up Garbagetown! I couldn't believe she remembered that from a year ago lol, I had to explain to her that there was no such place and she didn't believe me! Anyways this thread just reminded me of that, I hope noone thinks we're awful parents lol. It's one of those things that you can't "un-say" after you've said it if you know what I mean. Kids will be kids, my biggest tip is that if your kid still take naps at home, try to schedule some into your trip. Long hot days coupled with changes in schedules, tons of sugar and no naps is a recipe for disaster lol. Good luck and I hope ya'll have a great time!!

Val

:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:Garbagetown! Awww man that's great!

Val

I think we all say something that in hind-sight we know wasn't the wisest thing to say! :rotfl: Once, when my son was in 1st grade, he stuck a rock way up his nose that the nurse had a heck of a time getting out. In my infinite wisdom i told him if he sticks anything up his nose it could touch his brain and kill him (theortically, I think this is true, though it would probably have to be a really long, sharp, object :confused:). To this day (he's 19) he won't even blow his nose (drives me nuts when he has a cold and sniffs constantly!) It's a wonder the poor kid isn't in therapy.

P.S. To OP, all kids "misbehave" at one time or another, don't let any parent tell you different!

Just see the recent Rude Guests thread. It turned into a disciplining children debate. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter