My kid's bus driver told them to watch the news last night, I am very angry

I agree - too big a deal. Kid's come to school talking. The bus driver probably was responding to something some of the kids were talking about. There is no way to avoid talking current events at school - because many children DO watch the news.

When I taught first grade, I often had to discuss things that happened in the news because when one child brought it up, others chimed in - sometimes talking about it was the best damage control.

I think I learned more on the bus ride to school every day than I did in school. And that's for CATHOLIC school. You can't protect your kids from hearing everything. Maybe you can start driving them in?

Disney1fan2002 said:
Yes, my kids have watched Bambi and the Lion King. There is a huge difference between watching a CARTOON, which they have known since they could understand, that what happens in a cartoon is not real.

But the things in those 2 cartoons are real. Humans do shoot deer leaving a fawn motherless & lions are trampled to death by stampedes. The cartoons are not real, but the "stories" do have some reality to them.

I just think you can use this as a way to talk to your kids about the real world. They are going to see & hear a lot worse.

My DS's (9) bus driver last year stopped and pick up a skunk on the road she thought was sick and brought it on the bus and put it in the garbage can and had my nephew hold a book over it. Now that was something to complain about.

Depends on the kid, but 6 year olds aren't always babies. I remember being 6 years old, watching the news, and talking to my parents about things I was watching. Not that I was Noam Chomsky or anything, but I had questions, I was impressed by things, some things made me happy or sad or whatever, so I talked to my parents about the stuff I saw. I don't think I was stripped of my childhood in any way, I wasn't deprived of my innocence and I wasn't damaged by watching even the more graphic headlines on tv. Really, it'll be ok.

Yeah, you are all right. I guess I am over reacting.

I should loosen up and stop sheltering my kids so much. I can't wait for them to come home today, I hope the 4 o'clock news has a detailed report about the two little 9 year olds who were stabbed to death in IL. I am going to have them sit and watch it. Yeah, that's what I will do. :rolleyes:

Disney1fan2002 said:

I should loosen up and stop sheltering my kids so much. I can't wait for them to come home today, I hope the 4 o'clock news has a detailed report about the two little 9 year olds who were stabbed to death in IL. I am going to have them sit and watch it. Yeah, that's what I will do. :rolleyes:

Yeah, maybe the news story about those precious little girls WILL be on and you can use it as a learning tool for your daughters, in that there ARE bad people in the world and teach them a lesson about strangers and such.

Maybe you should not post if you are going to get all pissy when people have differing opinions than you. :rolleyes:

pw2pp said:
That could be true. You really don't know the context of the conversation. Maybe one of the kids said.... "Did that man really.......?" or "did they just say on the radio that........?" and the bus driver may have just replied, "I don't know, why don't you watch the news tonight to see" or something like that.
Why not just talk to the bus driver?

Agreed. Kids can really leave out important info, or just not think it's relevant. As for sheltering, they will hear so many things from other children, it'd probably turn yr hair grey! :goodvibes Use it as a teaching tool.
I know you will handle this perfectly--

Jean

Disney1fan2002 said:

That's really not such a bad idea. Why wouldn't you tell them about the dangerous people out there? It's for their own safety. Knowledge and information is power IMO. It can't hurt them to know of the dangers in today's world. Again, JMO.

I've read the original post about 5 times today, and I *still* can't figure out what the big deal is. :confused3

I have a slightly different view to share. If the kids were asking questions of the bus driver, maybe he was deflecting the questions to the parents by telling the kdis to watch the news. That way the parents would have the choice as to whether or not they wanted to allow their kids to see it, and have the opportunity to explain the situation to their kids if they chose to do so.

Denae

Some of the cartoons being shown these days are more graphic than that.

If you feel that your children are too young to watch the news, then that's fine. I wouldn't be upset over a bus driver commenting on them watching the news. There's no way he/she would know that you think it's too much for them.

Now if the driver mentioned that they should see the latest episode of South Park...

Yes, I actually talked to my 10 year old about the two girls being stabbed. And I've talked to him many times about animal cruelty.

But some parents just like to "shelter" their kids more than others. My husband's friend came over the other day and brought his five year old with him. To keep her entertained, I put on 'Aladdin'. Imagine my surprise when both the father and daughter told me she wasn't "allowed" to watch it, but Winnie the Pooh was okay. Whatever. I've given up hope of understanding overprotective parents a long time ago.

Disney1fan2002 said:

I am not trying to be harsh but didn't you say one of your children is 8 or 9? If so, then yes, this is a perfect opportunity to remind them how precious life is and to be very careful and aware of their surroundings at all times. I reminded my DS of that this morning when he picked up the newspaper and asked what did the word "slain" mean. I told him and also told him this is one of many reasons why he has to check very often through the day.

I MADE my daughters (almost 7 and almost 13) watch the news about the girls from IL. We talk about safety issues a lot. I want them to stay aware of who and what is around them....

I don't see the big deal. I also let my DD watch the news with me. Most of it, she doesn't seem to pay attention to. However, the things that do grab her attention, I use as a learning tool. She will learn about the "bad" things in life with or with out me. I would rather her learn the truth from me, then to hear a friends version of the truth (like in my day the truth about sex I heard from friends was MUCH different than the real truth. :rotfl2: ). This way, if she has any questions or concerns, I can help her understand. I just reiterate things in a way she can understand better.

This incident happened not too far from here, so I think we were exposed to this more so then someone living in, say, California has been. I used this as a continuing education to that about the cruelty of animals. Last year, in preschool, her class raised ducks from eggs to adult hood. Her first thought was "were these the ones we saw hatch?". :angel: She was quite relieved to find out that they weren't, but she also made the comment "That's mean! Why did that man hurt them? He should pick on someone his own size!". :rotfl: Besides, we will be at TI in a few weeks for the Dana Farber Roadrace. I would rather answer questions now than have to explain things to her then.

I can only hope that as she gets older (like teenage years) she will still be this open & honest with me. I know I talk to her more about "everyday life" than her father does. I notice that now if she has a problem with something (other than sports, lol ) she will come to me before she goes to my husband.

Bottom line, I feel a child needs to be taught right from wrong BEFORE they are teenagers. If you wait, it could be too late!

It is never too early to start teaching a child (at their level)....whether it is stranger danger, animal cruelty, how to use 911, avoiding stereotypes, etc...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter