My journey to the 2013 Half Marathon

gerberdaisy1234

DIS Veteran
Ok, so here's my story:

This morning my weight was 205.7. I went to the track with my husband and jogged 3 miles in the snow. First mile around 12 1/2 minutes, second mile around 14 minutes, and third mile little over 14 minutes. :banana:

I love physical activity and workout 4-6 times a week. However, my weight stays over 200.:confused3 I have checked out diets (HCG , Ideal Protein) that seem to work for people who just can not seem to lose weight no matter how healthy they eat (and I do eat healthy most of the time) but they limit physical activity.:confused: I know that when I increase my physical activity (time and effort) it does make a difference.

So today when I was at the track I got to thinking (actually planning is what kept me going since I don't normally run 3 miles). What if I trained to do the Disney half marathon 2013 and celebrate with a 7 night cruise on the Fantasy. Great way to celebrate my 44th birthday.:cool1:

Funny thing was I did not even realize that today was the half marathon until I got home and looked it up to see what day it is normally on.:surfweb: It looks like Saturday, so it would be possible to run half marathon in the morning and make it to the port that afternoon.

So back to my plan. I am willing to post food logs, exercise logs, body measurements and weight, etc. But I need help. So I thought I would turn to the only social networking site I visit- Disboards!

I will take anything- advice, encouragement, criticism (hopefully constructive)...:hug:

My commitment starts today!

I know two years is a long time away but I figure it is realistic considering where I am starting from. I hope to do a half marathon maybe Fall 2012 somewhere close (MD area) so that I know that I can do it and still make it to the cruise alive:rotfl:.

I have never blogged or anything so this is new for me but I am willing to do what it takes- post daily, youtube video, photos, logs, whatever...

So anyone want to join me on this journey?:)

Update: Thanks to the help and advice here, I have been reading some of Jeff Galloway's books. Hopefully, I am going to be changing my approach a little. I hope that posting here will not only keep me motivated but maybe motivate some others.

Sounds like a great plan...I especially like the rewarding yourself with a cruise part :thumbsup2

The first thing I would do is just start getting into a running routine. At this point you don't really need to worry about any high mileage plans...just start making running a part of your life in order to build yourself a good base. I'm sure some of the WISH veterans will have some more advice to offer after the marathon weekend.

Congratulations on taking your first step!

Thanks. I didn't even know what W.I.S.H. stood for until today.

We're Inspired to Stay Healthy!

I look forward to the journey filled with inspiration!:thumbsup2

Congrats on your training!

Really though, weight doesn't make such a huge (no pun intended) difference when it comes down to ability to run. There are many women who are heavier than you and are running half marathons! It's all about conditioning yourself to do it.

Considering that you are already running 3 miles, and your timing is good (13 minutes btw is the qualifier to join the airforce I believe). If you train now, you should have no problems hitting 13.5 by June. You can do it!

For your food, I would start logging right away. W.I.S.H is a great board to get support on, and there are a lot of good tips!

I'll join along with you! I hope to go to the half Marathon in 2012, maybe even the full. :)

I think you've got a pretty good plan there. I would consider setting up a series of intermediate goal races between now and then. I would consider looking at a 5K this spring, a 10K in the fall, and next spring around May look into a first half marathon. Although your idea of a fall half would also work. Setting intermediate goals will help keep you interested so you don't get to October 2012 and your still doing 3 miles.

My only concern would be going directly from the race to the cruise. I would consider doing a different cruise. Like the 4 day cruise that departs on Sundays. That way would won't need to worry about time and you won't be stuck in the car right after the race. I would probably leave for the cruise even later, and spend a couple of days in the park to keep your legs moving and show off your new medal.

I'm thinking ahead to 2013 as well. But, I'll need to get back to work the Monday after the race. Good luck in whatever you decide. And most importantly Have Fun.

Congrats on your training!

Really though, weight doesn't make such a huge (no pun intended) difference when it comes down to ability to run. There are many women who are heavier than you and are running half marathons! It's all about conditioning yourself to do it.

Considering that you are already running 3 miles, and your timing is good (13 minutes btw is the qualifier to join the airforce I believe). If you train now, you should have no problems hitting 13.k by June.

For your food, I would start logging right away. W.I.S.H is a great board to get support on, and there are a lot of good tips!

I'll join along with you! I hope to go to the half Marathon in 2012, maybe even the full. :)

:banana:Thanks for joining along. I will start food journal tomorrow.

Thanks for comment about weight:rotfl: That is why I prefer to set fitness goals instead of weight goals.

I think you've got a pretty good plan there. I would consider setting up a series of intermediate goal races between now and then. I would consider looking at a 5K this spring, a 10K in the fall, and next spring around May look into a first half marathon. Although your idea of a fall half would also work. Setting intermediate goals will help keep you interested so you don't get to October 2012 and your still doing 3 miles.

My only concern would be going directly from the race to the cruise. I would consider doing a different cruise. Like the 4 day cruise that departs on Sundays. That way would won't need to worry about time and you won't be stuck in the car right after the race. I would probably leave for the cruise even later, and spend a couple of days in the park to keep your legs moving and show off your new medal.

I'm thinking ahead to 2013 as well. But, I'll need to get back to work the Monday after the race. Good luck in whatever you decide. And most importantly Have Fun.

I will definitely check out some 5Ks and 10Ks. Thanks.

My family was really wanting to do a 7 day cruise but cost wise we were not going to do Disney World the same trip. We have done a 3 day cruise twice with Disney World on both ends, last trip was just 10 days at WDW, this September we are going to do WDW, 4 night cruise on Dream, WDW for total of 12 nights. So...that is why I was thinking that maybe I could do the half marathon before the cruise. Do you think an hour car ride would be too much a few hours after the race?

I am sure you can do it. If you can already run 3 miles, WDW Half 2012 is a reasonable goal. I am a little afraid you would have trouble staying motivated for 2 years. Some tips:
Get good shoes!
Follow a training plan. Higdon, Bingham, Galloway it's more a matter of personal preference. I like Galloway because of the emphasis on long runs on the weekend, and relatively little time during the week, but people have had success with all of them.
I agree with johde about finding some intermediate races, there should be lots 5ks in spring. Not sure where you are in MD, but here is the Annapolis Strider Race Calendar:
http://annapolisstriders.org/2011schedule.html

Mike

:banana:Thanks for joining along. I will start food journal tomorrow.

Thanks for comment about weight:rotfl: That is why I prefer to set fitness goals instead of weight goals.

I will definitely check out some 5Ks and 10Ks. Thanks.

Also do not forget to take your measurements! Many times you'll find inches lost, and not pounds. Which make sense on your work out routine if you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. :)

Since you are already running 3 miles, I would skip right to the Freewayto10k, or Ease to 10k.

Most of the programs focus on time instead of length. Which is good since most of us tend to need to build endurance first. Speed work can always be worked on later, but if you don't train for the endurance., its kinda an uphill battle sometimes imho.

Can't wait to see your progress!

I am sure you can do it. If you can already run 3 miles, WDW Half 2012 is a reasonable goal. I am a little afraid you would have trouble staying motivated for 2 years. Some tips:
Get good shoes!
Follow a training plan. Higdon, Bingham, Galloway it's more a matter of personal preference. I like Galloway because of the emphasis on long runs on the weekend, and relatively little time during the week, but people have had success with all of them.
I agree with johde about finding some intermediate races, there should be lots 5ks in spring. Not sure where you are in MD, but here is the Annapolis Strider Race Calendar:

Mike

Good shoes are also good things, along with running socks.

I really like Galloway. A lot of my old c25k groups are running half marathons with his method, and doing pretty good on time. When I hit my PR of my mile, I tried it the next day with the galloway method and there was no difference in time what so ever.

The other thing that is addictive about races. The bling! :laughing:

An hour car ride won't be too bad. Both of my halfs have been an hour and a half away. I walked around for a few minutes before getting in the car. Then I stopped and took a short walk about half way home. We stopped at Wendy's and I got out and got a bite to eat. Just make sure you leave yourself plenty of time.

Get good shoes!

Mike

Even if I was physically able to do the WDW half in 2012 there would be no funding:sad2: since we are doing 12 night Disney trip Sept 2011:banana:.

I am in the Baltimore area but I will check out the Annapolis Striders. Thanks

Also do not forget to take your measurements! Many times you'll find inches lost, and not pounds. Which make sense on your work out routine if you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. :)

Since you are already running 3 miles, I would skip right to the Freewayto10k, or Ease to 10k.

Most of the programs focus on time instead of length. Which is good since most of us tend to need to build endurance first. Speed work can always be worked on later, but if you don't train for the endurance., its kinda an uphill battle sometimes imho.

Can't wait to see your progress!

Good shoes are also good things, along with running socks.

I really like Galloway. A lot of my old c25k groups are running half marathons with his method, and doing pretty good on time. When I hit my PR of my mile, I tried it the next day with the galloway method and there was no difference in time what so ever.

The other thing that is addictive about races. The bling! :laughing:

I have discovered that socks do make a difference. I would not have believed it until I tired it. It is pretty amazing. I love the Croc Rx socks as well as a couple of other brands that I have tried.

Can't wait for the bling!:yay:

Thanks for the advice on starting with a 10k training schedule.

I also wanted to share this. I was preparing the spelling program for my DS just a couple of minutes ago and on one of the extra cards they had a quote...

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." -Jim Ryun long distance runner

How cool is that? Here's to a lifelong habit of running...never thought I would say that:rotfl2:

An hour car ride won't be too bad. Both of my halfs have been an hour and a half away. I walked around for a few minutes before getting in the car. Then I stopped and took a short walk about half way home. We stopped at Wendy's and I got out and got a bite to eat. Just make sure you leave yourself plenty of time.

Thanks. So at least I know it is doable:)

This day started way too early and way too cold.

My DH often gets up and runs in the wee hours of the morning and I always tell him he is crazy. Well, today I became one of the crazy ones.

As soon as my feet hit the pavement, I wanted to turn around and go back into the house. The SUN was not even awake! It was not even 6am! It was FREEZING (checked the temp when I got home- 22 but feels like 10 it said)!

I made it 2 1/2 miles! (My DH dropped me off and did about 3 more- he really is crazy) I feel that 2 1/2 miles of road/sidewalk a lot more than I felt the 3 miles on the track.

I have started checking out some of the training guides recommended. Thank you all for those.

After church today I decided to do the "Daniel Fast" for the next 21 days. If you are not familiar with it, it is basically veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, whole grains, only water to drink- no caffeine, no sugar, no artificial sweetener, no dairy, no meat. So we splurged a little today on our eating- we went to Outback.

Also today on disboards someone mentioned Flylady. So I checked out her website. I signed up to be a Flybaby. I have my sink soaking now so I can go "shine my sink."

It was funny but on her website was the same quote I posted yesterday,
"Motivation is what gets you started, Habit is what keeps you going."

Well, I am motivated, let's pray I hang in there until it all becomes a habit.

Good luck! I am also thinking ahead to the half in 2013 so I am more than happy to check in with you from time to time!

I started running basically from scratch around January 2009. When I was pregnant with my daughter I decided that I wanted a long-time goal of running the Disney half marathon in January, 2010. I began very slowly after having my daughter in October, 2008 (I gained almost 50 lbs with her) and ran my first 5k sometime in the spring of 2009. By the summer I was running an average of 3 days a week and my DH became very committed as well. We both completed the Disney half in 2010 (it was FREEZING!) and stayed with running ever since. I did another half last May and a few shorter races before getting pregnant again this past June. I tried to keep up with running as much as I could and ran a 10 mile race approx. 5 months pregnant but the bathroom breaks got to me :)

Now that I'm 32 weeks pregnant I'm dying to get back to my pre-baby size but I know it will be a while. We just took a Christmas Disney vacation so my DH and I both are fine with waiting a couple more years to go back again. 2013 seems like a great time - I can do the half, he'll do the full (he's definitely a lot faster than me!), and our kids will be older.

I don't have much diet advice because I'm not a big dieter but I hope you keep up with running! I've found it's the best activity for me which is ironic because I used to hate running. Maybe it's because I like running alone after teaching and taking care of a baby/toddler all day :)

Good luck!

Good luck! I am also thinking ahead to the half in 2013 so I am more than happy to check in with you from time to time!

I started running basically from scratch around January 2009. When I was pregnant with my daughter I decided that I wanted a long-time goal of running the Disney half marathon in January, 2010. I began very slowly after having my daughter in October, 2008 (I gained almost 50 lbs with her) and ran my first 5k sometime in the spring of 2009. By the summer I was running an average of 3 days a week and my DH became very committed as well. We both completed the Disney half in 2010 (it was FREEZING!) and stayed with running ever since. I did another half last May and a few shorter races before getting pregnant again this past June. I tried to keep up with running as much as I could and ran a 10 mile race approx. 5 months pregnant but the bathroom breaks got to me :)

Now that I'm 32 weeks pregnant I'm dying to get back to my pre-baby size but I know it will be a while. We just took a Christmas Disney vacation so my DH and I both are fine with waiting a couple more years to go back again. 2013 seems like a great time - I can do the half, he'll do the full (he's definitely a lot faster than me!), and our kids will be older.

I don't have much diet advice because I'm not a big dieter but I hope you keep up with running! I've found it's the best activity for me which is ironic because I used to hate running. Maybe it's because I like running alone after teaching and taking care of a baby/toddler all day :)

Good luck!

WOW! That is awesome! You are amazing! I had to laugh at the bathroom breaks.:rotfl: I can only imagine.

Thanks for the encouragement. I NEVER thought I would run (I love to walk).

It is fun to go out with my DH. He is way faster than me. He will stop and do sit-ups or push-ups while he waits for me sometimes.:rotfl2:

Today I walked 3 miles on the treadmill. I am still reading info on training but it did seemed they alternate walking or cross-training with run days.

I'm about 220 right now and just got home from doing the WDW half. I've also done the Disneyland half the past two years. Don't let the weight stop you from trying it! Not everybody who runs is skinny or looks fit. Why wait for 2013? My goal is to eventually run the whole half (I run a few minutes, walk a few minutes right now), but doing the halves slowly is very motivating. So motivating I actually decided to do the full next year :scared1: I know you said you won't have the funding, but look into doing one or two in your area in between now and 2013.

And just so you know... I went from walking two 18-minute miles once a week to finishing my first half within the 16-minute mile pace, at 220 pounds, in a little under three months. So you can totally do it :goodvibes

I'm about 220 right now and just got home from doing the WDW half. I've also done the Disneyland half the past two years. Don't let the weight stop you from trying it! Not everybody who runs is skinny or looks fit. Why wait for 2013? My goal is to eventually run the whole half (I run a few minutes, walk a few minutes right now), but doing the halves slowly is very motivating. So motivating I actually decided to do the full next year :scared1: I know you said you won't have the funding, but look into doing one or two in your area in between now and 2013.

And just so you know... I went from walking two 18-minute miles once a week to finishing my first half within the 16-minute mile pace, at 220 pounds, in a little under three months. So you can totally do it :goodvibes

Wow! I am loving these stories. These will keep me going and believing that I can do it!

I want to do some 5Ks and then some 10Ks and then the UnderArmour Half in October 2012. I wanted to work on my pace because I thought you had to be under a certain time for the Disney Half. But maybe I will check and see if there is one I can do sooner that doesn't have strict time limits.

It is pretty interesting about the weight. I can out hike, climb, run, etc all my skinny friends so why do I even worry about the weight?:confused3 I guess I figure it would be easier on my joints. But I have a talent for storing fat for the lean times. My body just has not realized that it is not the Ice Age. :rotfl:It is okay to burn the storage.:thumbsup2

Yesterday I did 35 minutes at the track. Even though I am still reading about the run:walk ratio methods I thought I would try it on my second mile since my first miles seemed extra slow. My second mile was actually a little faster.

Today I did a cross training day. I walked 2m/30min on treadmill and did weights.

I also reserve some of Jeff Galloway's books at the library. I will go pick them up tomorrow.

Now I have to also start researching details about Disney's Half Marathon. Like do you have to buy special tickets for family to cheer you on? Do runners need park tickets for events? What does your time need to be?
etc.

I'm in Baltimore, MD too, and there are lots of good races around here, not just the Baltimore Half. Ocean City has a spring half (the last weekend in April), Frederick's Half is the first wekeend in May, and there is the Zooma Women's Half and 10k in Annapolis the first weekend in June. There are also some good races a bit further away, in Rehoboth, DE and in Philly. Also keep your eyes and ears open for local races--there are tons of 5ks and 10ks.

It might not be a bad idea to do something structured like C25k or ease into 10k, just to keep you from doing too much too soon. I found out the hard way that injury stinks!

Is there a reason for not running 2012?

I think you may be setting your goal too low. You could easily run the Win and Dine this fall from where it sounds like you are at. I would challenge you to look into yourself and think about 2012. Besides, it is the 15th half and a special medal may be in the works.... There was a special 5th, they missed the 10th but I believe that the 15 th will not be missed.

Great idea on the journal, make sure you journal both the foods and the workouts. Also journal miles on your shoes so you are not running in worn out wheels. and finally, write a small something about feelings, weight, weather, time of day run, etc.....

Good for you! I decided last January to register for the half. I hadn't taken one step running at that point, but I knew it would be a huge motivator for me. I lost 25 pounds over the year (most of that was lost in the first half of the year since I didn't work as hard with my eating the 2nd half) and completed the half marathon last weekend. :cool1: My starting weight wasn't much lower than yours. I do think the more weight we carry, the harder it is to run, which is what is going to motivate me this year to lose some pounds. I want to be faster! ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me! Good luck! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter