My impressions of SSR (although I didn't stay there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
This new board thing is sort of throwing me for a loop-de-loop. Hope I got the right place here! :p
Okay, I finally have a minute or two to start reviewing my recent trip. We stayed at YC and VWL, but we visited SSR a couple times.

Quite frankly, SSR not only lived up to my expectations of a great DVC Resort, but the Resort exceeded those expectations. I found it to be absolutely beautiful, inside and out.
I have not seen it mentioned here that it truly gives the illusion of being a small town, rather than a resort. The main drag (can’t remember the name), gives a true ‘home town’ feel, and seems very realistic. This seems to be unique to this DVC Resort.
I was a tad shocked at the amount of visible construction. I know the construction must be accomplished, I just don’t normally see the making of the sausage at Disney. Oh well, certainly not a big deal.

The interiors were awesome. Very upscale, with nice colors.
In the Grand Villa there is a fourth bathroom with full shower, just off the kitchen. I found this a bit odd, but since the master bedroom is on the bottom floor I can see where it is necessary. If the fourth bathroom weren’t there, the folks sleeping on the couch would have to share the master bathroom.
Of course, the GV model in the Congress Park section had the premium view of Downtown Disney.

When we looked at the two bedroom villa, my wife said she didn’t see a closet in the entranceway. It may have been there somewhere, but we didn’t see it. We like to use this closet for a variety of things; most importantly hiding the ugly recycle bin.

I agree with many here that the pool and Artist Palette are quite nice, but the resort will soon outgrow their capacity. The pool already seemed on the crowded side.
That brings me to the pool bar (can’t think of the name at the moment).
It was way, way, way too busy for just one bartender. We waited over 20 minutes for a couple drinks (as did everyone else). They could have used at least three bartenders to handle the crowd. Not only was the bartender busy with customers, but she was running out of many supplies.

After getting primed with one of those Saratoga beers from the pool bar, we headed for the Member Update.
This is a huge improvement over the old version of the update. This was truly much more informative and interesting (and I won something!).
After the meeting, I chatted with Judi Kaufman (sp?), and one of the lead people in Member Services. I asked several questions, including occupancy rules, home resort retention when transferring points, and about housekeeping.
They responded that occupancy limits has just been raised to 5 adults in a 1br, with no additional bedding provided. Studio is still 4, and 2br still 8.
They also responded that they are aware of the home resort retention problem, and it will get fixed at some point. They did state they could do it manually.
I was also told they are aware of housekeeping issues, especially at BCV. I was told they implemented some sort of inspection system at that resort.
They said the best thing we could do is to call the front desk, and not to worry about being overly demanding.

In summary, my wife and I found SSR to be an outstanding resort. If we decide that we want more points, we would buy there in a second!

Thanx for reading… :cool:
All who have bought there, did darn good!

MG

Hi:wave: Mg, and thank you for the great review !! We are very happy with our purchase of SSR, and it`s really nice to know others feel it`s a great resort too!! We avoided staying there our first time home (Because of the ongoing construction), but when we visited, my DH was disappointed that we didn`t ( it was soo lovely)!! Now were really looking foward to our next trip!!!;)

what home retention problem?????

I think this is a lovely resort.

for a little town feeling - try OKW.

I think SSR is much more uptown.

It is, I think, one of the best that DVC has done.

It is just beautiful.

the construction will go on - generally behind walls - but some of the equipment is probably to tall to hide.

also the other timeshares in the area don't hide their additions - Hilton Grand Vacation Club certainly didn't - it was kinda of fun to watch.....

Welcome back! I agree that the view from the GV model at SSR was magnificent, and we liked the furnishings as well.

Thanks for the report, will there be more about your stay?

Bobbi

:D

Thanks for the report! Interesting info from Judy! I'm glad you had a great trip. We will be trying at SSR in Feb. and I'm trying really hard to look forward to it.:D I've driven through SSR twice now, and I will agree that the construction is almost overwhelming. I was surprised to see so many buildings under construction at one time. I think that we will like SSR, but I will miss the hotel feel. I do like the town feel to SSR. Thanks again!

Originally posted by Maistre Gracey

After the meeting, I chatted with Judi Kaufman (sp?), and one of the lead people in Member Services. I asked several questions, including occupancy rules, home resort retention when transferring points, and about housekeeping.
They responded that occupancy limits has just been raised to 5 adults in a 1br, with no additional bedding provided. Studio is still 4, and 2br still 8.

Is 5 to a 1BR a new thing, of have we heard it here before? I think it's a good change and makes DVC more affordable for familes with 3 kids.

5 in a 1BR is the new limit...great! What will the moderators do with no more occupancy threads to close? :hyper: :earseek:

Very interesting...maybe you should additionally post your member update info on the DVC board. Also, I would love to hear more about your trip as well, pretty please:teeth:

Lisa:sunny:

"I have not seen it mentioned here that it truly gives the illusion of being a small town, rather than a resort. The main drag (can’t remember the name), gives a true ‘home town’ feel, and seems very realistic. "

DH found this to be a negative where I found this same feel to be attractive. It really reminded me of Celebration.

Wish we had taken the tour too as we just walked the grounds a couple weeks age. It sounds wonderful. Second thought probably a good thing for DH I didn't see that grand villa.

Thanks for the member updates and report.

And the Member Updates!

I came away with the exact impression that the owners should be really proud!

snip . . . After the meeting, I chatted with Judi Kaufman (sp?), and one of the lead people in Member Services. I asked several questions, including occupancy rules, home resort retention when transferring points, and about housekeeping.
They responded that occupancy limits has just been raised to 5 adults in a 1br, with no additional bedding provided. Studio is still 4, and 2br still 8. . .

Was there any indication when the capacity change will be announced to the members? I like the change, but I'm not sure where the fifth person will actually sleep.

Thanks for the GREAT trip report!

::MickeyMo

We were in a one bedroom at Congress Park in October. We liked staying there, but we also missed having the front hall closet. We've never had a villa without one (except for the studios) and were looking for the place to store our luggage that we unpacked. The door to the connecting studio was in the location where the hall closet would have been.

Thanks for the report! We're staying there beginning Dec. 18th. We've never stayed anywhere on site except for VWL so a great report like yours makes us very excited about our upcoming trip.

Thanks for the great report. We only saw SSR from DTD last June and I thought it looked really pretty. I'm looking forward to checking it out. I stayed there when it was the DI so it will be interesting to see the changes.

Since we are a family of five, I'm really excited to see the change for the 1 bedroom. I don't mind bringing an aero bed for one of the DD's.

We also toured SSR on our trip last month. Neither dh nor I were expecting to like it much, but we both loved it! In fact, we hope to stay there for our 15th anniversary trip (over a year away, but we always plan ahead! ;) ). The resort itself has a lovely feel to it, and we thought the pool and Artist's Palette were wonderful.

Thanks for posting your impressions of SSR. I hope to check it out this week while staying at BWV. I am sure that I will like what I see too!:)

This is interesting, and I don't really have a problem with it, but I do have a question... how can they change occupancy without discussing it with current owners? People bought into the system and agreed to the occupancy limits that were in place (in writing, not what the CMs told them). 4/5 adults makes no difference to me (as long as they're not in my 1 BR ;) ), but from the posts we've seen here, it could make a big difference to some owners.

When are the Member Updates held? I would like to try to attend during our upcoming trip. I've never been to one before. Thanks!

Thanks for the great report!
Yes, I do believe this is the correct forum for trip reports at resorts where you didn't actually stay. :confused:

Occupancy limit changed? Suddenly I feel as if I'm dreaming... it's almost as if .. as if someone was paying attention.

Of course the 5th adult will either have to sleep in the middle of the king bed (kinky), on the kitchen bench (no privacy), on the balcony (fair weather only!), or in the jacuzzi (even kinkier).

I must say, I am excited about the room change and cant wait for another confirmation of it (no offense MG, just like things confirmed)

We wont use the option of a 1 bedroom for several years, but when the kids are older I could see staying in one......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter