• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My imagination of what June was like and what it was really like..

We are in Southern Ontario, Canada and have done many August trips. I always say, it's honestly just as hot and humid here most of the summer as it is in Florida. But that means nothing because when it's like that here, I avoid going out in it as much as I can.. I walk my dogs early in the morning, I run the AC constantly and I stay inside. At Disney I tromp around from dawn until bedtime, mostly on pavement.
This summer has been unseasonably cool and I keep waiting for the heat wave to come so we can get acclimated before the August Disney trip:rolleyes:.
A summer trip just requires an entirely different pace and reasonable expectations. We take more breaks, find the AC and drink water like crazy. But it's doable, and it's enjoyable. Just have to be prepared.

We are in Southern Ontario, Canada and have done many August trips. I always say, it's honestly just as hot and humid here most of the summer as it is in Florida. But that means nothing because when it's like that here, I avoid going out in it as much as I can.. I walk my dogs early in the morning, I run the AC constantly and I stay inside. At Disney I tromp around from dawn until bedtime, mostly on pavement.
This summer has been unseasonably cool and I keep waiting for the heat wave to come so we can get acclimated before the August Disney trip:rolleyes:.
A summer trip just requires an entirely different pace and reasonable expectations. We take more breaks, find the AC and drink water like crazy. But it's doable, and it's enjoyable. Just have to be prepared.
I leave this weekend and I've started drinking water like crazy...so it can all be sweated out for six days. :rolleyes: We're still waiting for Summer here in the upper Midwest, so there is no way for me to physically prepare for it. :beach:

We go on vacation BECAUSE it's hot. We seek the heat. We are from NE Ohio. Vacation is synonymous with hot. We have done WDW many times in summer; June, July and August. We have done November, January, February, too. I much, much prefer the summer months. I LOVE the heat (and humidity). I hate the winter months where night time can drop into the frigid 50s. Watching the evening parade or fireworks while in a jacket and shivering is not vacation. I have also been to Orlando in summer for conventions (in suit and tie). Handling WDW in shorts and T-shirt is much easier. We know what we are in for. We prepare for it. Then we go and just soak up the heat that we don't get at home.

I love the description of getting your sports bra off!! Totally made my day.

We also just got back from a very humid June trip 14-23rd. We have hot days in Iowa, right now it's 94. It's the humidity that makes all the difference. Our humidity is at 57%, which is uncomfortable, but in the shade you can find some relief. At Disney the humidity was 76% and 86 degrees. It was so much worse!! It seemed like we were wet all the time, even in the shade, no relief!

Initially, me and my two cousins were planning on going hands free. Would be nice but....really thinking about how hot it's going to be this month I thought better of it and declared to my cousins that I'm bringing a backpack. Here's what I'm putting in it. An umbrella. A small battery operated fan. Two cooling towels and sun screen. Rain jacket. After reading this thread, I'm going to put my bladder back in my back pack, so I can stay hydrated. I HATE the heat. The only reason I'm going at this time of year is because my cousins have a time share and it is going to be the cheapest Disney trip I've ever taken. So to save $ I am braving the heat. I am planning on a leisurely pace, and doing a fair amount of sitting and letting them go on the thrill rides I won't go on. And...getting some cold drinks and snacks along the way. Oh, and using the express bus to hop from park to park. Any other suggestions I haven't thought of?
The thing is, the more you carry, the more it weighs you down. We've survived quite a few summer trips to Orlando. We don't bring most of what you list.

1. If chance of rain is 25-50%, we rely on cheap plastic ponchos. Not because they are super, but because they fit in a back pocket. MOST often, the BEST approach to summer downpours is just to wait them out. Plastic ponchos are one and done- so we try not to use them at all. We only use if we absolutely have to make an ADR.

If rain is over 50%, then we bring fold up jackets. Ours are the kind that fold into a pocket, so they are light and easy to carry.

Oh, though this seems obvious, we always see people sweating away under ponchos and jackets LONG after the rain has ended! That's when they get miserable.

Also, wet sneakers are bad. If it looks like 40% rain or better, we try to wear water tolerant sandals. (Teva? Keen?)

2. We ALWAYS carry water! Your best bet is to drink as much as possible early in the day, but always have some on you. As soon as we wake up, we drink water. At ever meal we drink water (plus anything else). Water is heavy, so we tend to drink a bunch about an hour into our day. Limit coffee and alcohol in summer.

3. We don't bother carrying almost anything else. No fan, no umbrella, no cooling towels. I DO carry sunscreen, but it is the smallest tube I can find. It is chapstick style. Bigger than normal chapstick tubes, but still tiny. DO avoid long sun exposure. If we must, we even skip some shows.

4. We ABSOLUTELY start early in the AM, AND get out of the parks between 1:30/2pm and about 5pm. 5-7pm is affectionately known as "storm o'clock."

5. If you have emergency meds, or near emergency meds, those are important to bring. Also (near) essentials like ID and phone. Otherwise, if I really feel something would be handy, like blister bandages- then I try to bring a four-hour supply (one) instead of a whole box. If I use it, I replenish at the room.

6. If we feel we have to carry a bag, w carry the smallest, lightest one possible. One compartment is better than many when it comes to getting through security quickly. I DO own an insulated backback/cooler. Mostly we use it when we transfer between hotels, but if we know we plan to transport food or chocolate, then we sometimes carry it.

7. Try to avoid wearing anything that is dark/black. At WDW, certain colors are best. I'm not into color coding our family, but, I have noticed that when DH wears certain colors, it is easier to spot him all day. Good colors include red, green, orange, bright/light blue or blue-greenish. Bright is good. Bad colors are dark blue, grey, brown, white, and anything very neutral. Pockets aren't as good as they used to be, but still handy.

8. Ziploc bags are often very handy when traveling. I bring all sizes- snack up to 2 gallon. At Universal, backpack style bags are especially a pain on many rides, because they have to go in a locker. At a few rides you have to completely empty EVERYTHING out of your pockets, more or less. In that case, a Ziploc bag can be useful.

9. IMO, mister fans are especially bad. Also, well, accept that summer photos at WDW might not be ideal. By 11am, your face will look glossy, unless you are freshly showered. At WDw, hair never looks great after Test Track, but summer is a great time for braids and simple up-twists. (think 'the messy pony tail" bun?).

10. Oh, and last in summer, spare a tree. When exiting the restroom, skip the paper towel. You REALLY don't need it to dry your hands. They'll air dry in a few seconds!

1. In summer, it sometimes pays to slow down. Take the shuttle boat over walking, take a detour through Innoventions, sit indoors for a moment, walk in the shade, etc. Look for little ways to slow down just a bit.

OH, most important on this topic- ACCLIMATE! yourself to the heat as much as you can BEFORE you go!

If you're used to being in AC 24hours a day set at 65 degrees, then 92 is going to feel hot.

If you are used to being outdoors in summer, and keep your thermostat at 80, then 92 won't feel nearly as drastic a difference.

Remember it takes about two weeks for your pores to acclimate.

Is there something to the idea that the sun is "closer" to you in Florida and that makes it hotter? I'm in Omaha and right now the temp and humidity is basically the same as Orlando, and the "feels like" is actually higher here. But I know from experience that it just feels hotter there all the same.

Love all the pointers! I've been acclimating as much as possible for a trip in 10 days. Can't wait, heat or no heat!

Funny, I came back last year from our first summer visit after years going other times and we loved it. I always heard horror stories but honestly it was one of the most fun times we have had. Yes 2 showers a day were required and we spend the middle of the day at the pool but I think that is what helped as we did not spend all our time at the parks and relaxed more. Very fun! Also I did not really care what I looked like so no makeup and wore tanks and workout clothes which is not something I have ever done at wdw and only do at the gym at home. We would then get dressed up for dinner. It was very relaxed and vacation like!

A princessartlast, that was close to our experience as well. That's why I still respond to these threads sometimes. I've been flamed a number of times for saying that we actually like August trips.

Personally, I think August is better than June, because I'm better acclimated to summer come August. Also, as another poster pointed out, you get more after dark hours than June.

I also have long said, every time of year has pros and cons. There's always a trade-off between weather, crowds, convenience, and prices.

You're Hilarious!

I am from Texas and there is no way in Double hockey sticks i will go to Florida before October. I about died last August.

I went once the last week of June and vowed to never go again in the summer. We toured from park opening till about 10 am then back to the room, swam sometimes and did not head back to the parks until after 7 pm. It was still hot and we hit every air-condition store and attraction that we could. It was too warm for me.

We choose not to take our kids out of school for trips, so if we want to go for a full week our choices are the week between Christmas & New Year, Presidents Day week, Easter week, or July/August. We choose the very end of August because it's the lowest crowd time out of our options and the prices are lower too. The weather is hot & humid/rainy but we make do. I'd rather have shorter lines & less crowds than cooler weather. Before our kids were in school we had some pretty hot trips in April, May, & Sept too. Florida is hot & humid most of the year, it's kind of hard to avoid it.

I live part time in Arkansas and part time in New Orleans. New Orleans is pretty much like Orlando. But guess what Arkansas is not any better. We've been having 90+ degree weather with 98-99% humidity. The difference is that I haven't been outside in 3 days.:)

I have a trip planned in September. Now that I need an ECV (I am old as dirt) I bought a small fan to attach to my ECV. I also have the frogg togg and will be able to keep ice water in my basket. I hope I survive. :sunny:

I live in Kansas City, MO. Our temps right now are mid to upper 90's, it's not unusual to have stretches of 100+ degrees in August. I HATE hot. I HATE summer. I wilt in our heat and humidity and would much prefer to just live in our lovely a/c!

That said, I think it's different when we're on vacation. We were in Orlando in June 3 years ago and did Universal 3 days and Legoland 1 day, all open to close. I remember it being hot, but not unbearable hot. I complain way more about the heat when I'm at home just doing everyday stuff. We're going to WDW mid-September this year. I know it will be hot, and I will prepare us all the best I can (sunscreen, hydration, etc.), but I'm not worried.

You are so right with this! I'm in ONtario, Canada and we've had add very little heat and humidity this summer. Literally one or two truly summer days. Our August trip is going to be like visiting the surface of the sun. Still excited though!
LOl...the surface of the Sun! Yeah, I hear you....bring on the blanket of humidity!

Thanks for the tip on the Wal-Mart fans, OP! We are going in three weeks. We have both done August trips before, and are used to the humidity, but every little bit of breeze helps!
I bought the Walmart Fan. It looked like a flimsy piece of crap...but once I turned it on, super impressed! It spins really fast and has a good amount of air. My daughter said not to buy the misting one, she said it makes it worse. She said the regular one works better for humidity. I'm bringing extra batteries, don't know how long they will last. I'm hoping they go all day, not really sure on this one.

A couple of weeks ago, my DS called me. He asked when the last time we went to Disney in August was. I said 2014. The reason he was asking, is, his AC stopped working in his car. He delivers pizza, so he was forced to drive in 90 degree heat with his windows down. (the horror!) As he was doing this and "dying", he started to think about our trip to Disney in August and he figured if he was this hot and uncomfortable in Virginia Beach in June, what was WDW in August going to be like? So he called me and asked...once he realized it was that recent, he was shocked, because he said he could not recall being uncomfortably hot on that trip. I explained that we weren't. Sure, it was hot, but nothing we couldn't handle.

I do think our imagination gets away from us when we think about the heat. But in reality, it is not all that bad.
I hope your right, but my daughter, who goes every summer said sometimes it gets so hot they were crying....real tears crying! I can't even imagine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter