My husband has liver cancer. *HE PASSED AWAY :( POST182* / Photo Slideshow POST 452

DebIreland

ಠvಠ
Having been sick for just 3-4 weeks my husband found out one week ago that he has a tumour on his liver.

Four weeks ago his appetite started to decline and he felt nauseous and tired. He went to the doctor who took blood samples and called us a few days later to say he suspected gallstones and said dh would be referred for tests in due course. His dad died from pancreatic cancer 16 years ago and had initially been diagnosed with gallstones so I was concerned.

So with that in mind we returned to our doctor who listened to our worries and sent dh to hospital for tests. He had an ultrasound and CT scan which showed that his gallbladder is full of stones but his pancreas is clear. We were delighted to hear that the pancreas was not an issue. However, they decided to do a biopsy on his liver and last Wednesday 14th we found out that he has a cancerous liver tumour. Our world collapsed.

The consultant explained that his best (only really) chance would be surgery. Yesterday there was a multi-disciplinary meeting attended by a number of oncologists, gastroenterologists and liver surgeons etc. They sit in a room together and view patient scans and analyze the test results and make a decision about how to proceed. Today we met with the oncologist who, unfortunately, told us that dh's cancer has spread to the surface of his bowel so surgery is not an option. All they can offer is chemotherapy which will prolong his life but will not cure the cancer. :(

Prognosis - one to two years.

I'm heartbroken. He's 47. Never drank alcohol. Never smoked. We have three children - boys 17 and 15 and a daughter who is 7. All 3 of them absolutely adore their dad.

I'm in a haze. I just can't imagine a future without him in our lives. My heart is breaking for dh and for the children.

Oh, Deb. :hug:

From across the internet, I send you nothing but positive thoughts and thoughts of comfort in order to deal with whatever you have coming.

Words seem inadequate, though. All I can really say is I'm very sorry.

I'm so sorry but try to keep some hope. Chemo can really stop the cancer from spreading and even kick him into remission for awhile. I hope the best for you and your family.

There is nothing to say except how very sorry I am to hear that.

I am very sorry.:hug:

I also know many people who have outlived the statistics so don't give up hope! Sending prayers for all of you. :grouphug:

:hug: I am so sorry and will hope for a miracle.

I'm so, so very sorry. I can't imagine what you're going through. :hug: I wish words could help, but I know they can't. Just know that there are people out here who care. :hug:

:grouphug::grouphug:

Six years ago last week, my dh died of a rare abdominal cancer at the age of 42. My children are about the ages yours are. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Cherish every moment.

Cancer sucks. I am so very, very sorry. :hug: Please remember there is no "right" way to deal with this. You are bound to go through any number of emotions as you cope with this, and whatever you are feeling is right and okay. Cancer stole my beautiful mother at only 56, nine months after her diagnosis. It's not the same, and I don't prentend to know what you're going through, but I do know how devastating cancer is. My thoughts are with you.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Try to stay positive. Doctors make predictions based on numbers, but everyone is different. I truly believe in positive thoughts and the will to survive. Sending prayers his way.

Oh, Deb - I am so sorry to hear this! How heart-breaking!
I will keep your husband and you & your family in my prayers.

I'm sorry for your heartbreak. Prayers and pixie dust for everything you and your family have to go through. Know that the Dis family is here throughout, to listen and comfort. God bless.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter