My heart feels a little broken tonight...

Keli

<font color=darkcoral>We're smarter than the avera
I have two things going on and I think one of those things is making it harder for me to deal with the other. First, my nephew Tyler was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, stage 4 a little over a month ago. I believe in prayer and that God does heal the sick and I believe He will heal Tyler. My sister and her family have received lots of support and lots of folks are praying. I know the odds are against him statistically but I believe he will come through this illness. But there is still a constant level of stress that I can't shake. I stress about mostly little things (when looking at the big picture) like if Tyler is nauseated that day from chemo, or if he is hurting from the shots for his immune system (they make him ache all over for hours, put him in discomfort at best and often outright pain).

And I think all that is making it harder for me to deal with a more acute situation that arose that is affecting our whole community. A young man was killed last week (declared brain dead yesterday morning) resulting from a road rage incident. They have not released the details of the incident so I do not know if the victim, Brandon Bradshaw, had a weapon as well but the shooter was bailiff at our local courthouse.

I knew this young man, he was a friend of my dd's for years. They went to school together and were in drama and choir together every year. As a mom that could sew (drama teachers as well as choir directors love us, haha!) I spent a fair amount of time at rehearsals over the years and knew Brandon quite well myself.

He was a really, really good guy. And I am so torn up over how he has died. I want to throw blame all over the place but I make myself refrain because I know that we haven't heard the whole story yet. The situation is tearing me up. It's nothing but a tragedy all the way around.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/loc...cle_74682a96-83be-11e2-abf0-0019bb2963f4.html

On a side note, my sis sent me a pic of my nephew Tyler with some guy that I didn't recognize. Clearly Tyler and his parents were excited about it so I asked who it was and they said it's a guy named Willie from Duck Dynasty. I've never seen the show but count me as a fan. He was there with make a wish for another child and when he was done he came around to see other kids. Tyler's getting chemo this weekend (technically done with chemo already and they are pushing fluids through IV for another day or so to get his ph to normal before they'll let him leave). Sis said he came in and spent a good 10-15 minutes chatting with Tyler and then let them take pics.

Thanks low key. Have no idea how you do it but you always manage to express a lot in your "hey" :)

I knew I liked the guys from Duck Dynasty for a reason. That is great.

I certainly hope your nephew responds to treatment soon.

Ugh, sounds like you have a lot going on. Big hugs!! Lots of healing thoughts for your nephew .

Keli, I will be praying for your nephew Tyler. Keep the faith. If it comes to turning it over in another direction, the Lord will help you to do so.

Reading that Willie visited your nephew and the other children makes me "happy, happy, happy." You should really watch some Duck Dynasty. :)

Hugs and more hugs for the loss of your young friend.

:hug: I know how you feel. Two years ago in the space of a month 2 friends of my children were murdered and my nephew died. I knew both of the friends and it was a feeling thats indescribable (SP?) when I heard what happened. Somehow we found the strength to get through it.

My DD loves Duck Dynasty and is always telling me to watch it. I may have to now they sound like good people. Prayers for you and your family.

:grouphug:

You sure have way too much to deal with right now. My prayers go out to the classmate of your dd, and to your dear nephew. I pray little Tyler beats this thing! :thumbsup2

(I also wanted to add that I love your signature profile. You and your DH look every bit as in love in the second picture as you do in the first! :) )

I'm so sorry for everything you are dealing with right now. Your nephew will be in my prayers too.

I LOVE Duck Dynasty! You really should watch it :thumbsup2 Willie is great! Doesn't surprise me he did something like that!!

It is even more difficult when these situations snowball! I will pray for your family and Tyler. How old is he if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks everyone, last night I was really feeling kind of helpless about it all, I'm regaining my coping abilities in the light of day. I'm sorry to seem so needy. Believe it or not I'm usually the strong one.

You guys did make me feel better and I appreciate all the kindness shown.

Tyler turned 12 in December. He's a complicated little guy, a deep thinker, with a big heart. Love him a bunch :)

:grouphug:

Sending you hugs and prayers for faith and strength during these difficult days. So sorry for the sad loss of your DD's friend and praying for a miracle for your sweet nephew, Tyler. We have a DGS named Tyler, and I can't begin to imagine what you and your family must be going through :guilty:. Keep the faith sweetie. :hug:

Lots of prayers for Tyler as well as for Brandon's family. I am so sorry you and others are having to suffer through this. Please take care and I am praying for a miracle for Tyler.

I am a two time survivor of osteosarcoma. I know that's kinda crappy to hear but I hope it provides you with some glimmer of hope. I was 14 when diagnosed, and relapsed this fall at 19. It sucks, and the treatment is by and large the worst part of it, but he can and will make it through. The odds will always be against him in this situation, but who's to say he won't make it through?

I'll be praying for Tyler, and if you or your family ever need anything, please don't be afraid to shoot a PM. :hug::hug::hug:

Imabrat, you relapsed this past fall? Are you currently in treatment? I'm so sorry and I will be praying for you.

Imabrat, you relapsed this past fall? Are you currently in treatment? I'm so sorry and I will be praying for you.

I'm finished with treatment and back at school, thankfully. There are lots of lasting side effects but I am alive and I still have my leg, all other things can be dealt with.

Hang in there. Pray for God to give you strength so you can be strength for your family. My nephew was diagnosed eight months ago with a rare and very bad type of leukemia. The treatments were horrible. I was so stressed out during his treatments. I was trying very hard to be there for my brother and his wife. When he wanted to talk about the treatments I listened and supported him. I was at the hospital on two very rough days. He received a bone marrow transplant from his sister. The prep for this was horrible. Last month my nephew got his drivers license. He went back to school today. Hooray. He has responded far beyond expectations to his treatments and has been in full remission for several months. They did not know if he would make it back to school at all this year due to having no immune system but it is back enough for him to do almost everything. I will pray for your nephew. I always knew children's cancer was brutal but wow.
Keep busy. My sister and I made tons of mini meals for the family. We picked up little fun gifts for my nephew. And I agree, any person or artist who comes to a children's hospital is the best. Andy Reed and Nickleback visited my nephew. So great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter