• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Half Marathon Race Report

verticalchaos

DIS Veteran
I'd been training for this for 14 weeks - and preparing for about a month before that to start training! I was so excited!!!

The weekend started on Friday when my sister and I

IMG_0524.jpg

walked the 5K they had to kick off Marathon Weekend. It was just a walk, so no PR, but the sister bonding time was well worth it!

After the 5K it was off to the Expo to get my HM bib and stuff and purchase (and immediately hand to sis without looking at it) an "I did it!" shirt as I'd heard (correctly) that the stuff sold out quickly at the finish area. Lunch and Sweet Tomatoes and naptime in my resort room (cat allergy meant no staying with sis and her roommate) rounded out the afternoon. The evening brought a spaghetti dinner with my two running partners, sister, and Seth's roommate and dog. Good times! Then we headed over to the Magic Kingdom to see Wishes! for inspiration.

IMG_0532.jpg

And then it was off to bed to try and sleep!!

That was semi-successful. I was still in bed, though awake, when Stitch and Mickey delivered my wake up call - at 2:15AM! Got up and got ready, then headed over to get on the bus to go to the staging area.

IMG_0539.jpg

Lots of texting with my sister - she and Seth (running partner #1) were running a little late and stuck in the oh-so-warned-about traffic they thought their back ways would let them escape. Ryan (running partner #2) texted that he was in the lot and parking. When he got there, we checked my stuff (at this point sis had said to go ahead and do that - if she'd been on time, she would have held it for me) and headed to the staging area. Seth was going to try to meet us in Corral C, but when he got there he made it about mid-way through and couldn't get further up. So Ryan and I started together.

IMG_0544.jpg

We were there for all the pre-race stuff, then cheered as Wave 1 (aka Corral A) went off to fireworks and fire shoots. Wave 2 (aka Corral B) walked to the start and took off a few minutes later, also to fireworks, etc. Each wave/corral got the same send-off, which was really nice! Corral C walked to the line, and we were off!!

I had thought I'd stop for character shots, but initially there weren't really any characters out I wanted a pic with, and when we did find them, it seemed everyone else wanted pics with them so the lines were long. About mile 3, I left Ryan behind - my walking pace (I was doing a run/walk) was faster than his, so the walk breaks weren't really providing much of a rest for him. It was all good though. Took a pit stop just before heading into Magic Kingdom.

I will admit to tearing up when we got ready to turn onto Main Street, and more when we turned and could see the castle. Another runner saw me trying to get a steady shot of the castle and offered to take a pic of me - then I took a pic for her.

IMG_0585.jpg

Just after this, I spotted my sister just before the turn into Tomorrowland and was full-out crying for a few minutes (she told me after she was too), and only continued as we ran through Cinderella Castle. I did try to smile for the cameras...but we'll see how those pics come out when ASI sends me the links.

After Magic Kingdom, it was a relatively calm stretch by the Grand Floridian. I was feeling good and strong through the 15K mark. Probably around Mile 10 I started to feel something familiar every time I've gone a new distance - my IT band starting to flare a bit. So I just added in a little more walking.

Mile 11 is kind of brutal - you go up the cloverleaf exit, so it's a long, steady hill that takes a while. The humorous part of this was they stationed one of the Green Army Men on the hill and he kept exhorting us to "Take that hill soldiers!" We were trying! I swear!! After that it wasn't long until we were heading into EPCOT, and I realized I WAS GOING TO DO THIS!!!!!!

At some point just after the hill, I really felt the "middle toe" (the one right next to my big toe) on my right foot. This is the one that's had a runner's toenail for a while, and I wasn't sure if the nail had come off or what. I finally pulled over to the side for a moment to take my shoe off and look. Toenail still on. Cannot tell WHY my toe felt weird. Put shoe back on and trotted off.

(A note on shoes... I ended up going with the 2160s just tied to try and keep from rubbing on the top of my foot/leg where they meet over the ankle. I'm definitely going to go on a new shoe brand and stuff hunt now that this half is done.)

The second half of the race I was much more aware of seeing cameras and trying to "run pose" for them. And yes, there were times that meant the mental thought of "Ok...camera...run, or at least look like you're running. And SMILE!" We rounded Spaceship Earth and headed backstage. At the corner, I could hear the gospel choir and knew from youtube videos I was almost there. And I made myself run across the finish line!

I proceeded through the chute and got my mylar blanket and medal, then steered myself into Medical to get Tylenol and ice. A girl near the ice asked me how many and where I needed it, then saran-wrapped it on. VERY glad it was a female helping me with the ice up at the top of my upper thigh - which had also been twinging a little. She got a third ice pack and another medical volunteer to help with putting a couple of bags on my knee for the IT band issue. She got me some water so I could take the Tylenol, made sure I was ok other than that, and I hobbled out. Got in line for the "Look at my medal!" picture and Ryan showed up one person behind me! We went to get food (and got WAY too excited about things like mint chocolate energy bars, diet coke, and non-lemon-lime powerade), then my bag. As we exited the bag tent, my sister and Seth were there waiting. Long hug, and then the "We did it!" pic!!

IMG_0586.jpg

Then it was off to the resort for me for a cool bath. I went back to the Expo to hear John "The Penguin" Bingham

IMG_0589.jpg

And Coach Jenny Hadfield

IMG_0588.jpg

speak. It was great to meet them as their book has been the backbone of my training, and Coach Jenny especially has been a GREAT help in replying to emails and tweets.

The next morning, Ryan, Seth, Alex (Seth's roommate), Andrea (my sister) and I went to brunch at Cape May Cafe to celebrate - it's a character breakfast with Minnie, Goofy and Donald. Since the Half Marathon finishers get Donald Duck medals, Donald was VERY excited to see us, and wanted a picture. Silly duck...he thought his tie was a medal.

IMG_0597.jpg

After breakfast, we went out to cheer on the Marathoners. And Seth, Ryan and I all decided that next year? We're going to be among them!

All in all, it was a great weekend, and I'm so happy I did it!

Oh yeah... My chip time? 2:47:38!! (And in my "WOOHOO!" moment, I beat Al Roker who finished in 3:16 and change. Hee!)

~beth

Congratulations on your first half, Beth! Great report and pics!

You can do the full! My first half was in 2007 WDW and my first marathon was a year later at WDW. You can do it!!!

Beth Congrats and a great report. You can definitely train up to do the full next year. I did Donald in 2009 then Mickey in 2010. It's a lot of work, true, but gotta get that medal!

Maura

hey neighbor! congrats on your half marathon finish and great time! amazing! and you even stopped to take your shoe off! you are the woman! :cool1:

really enjoyed reading your race report and i'm even more pumped for the princess half!

huge congrats. oh, and i hope to see you at the WDW marathon next year too. i have my sights set on it!

Congratulations on your first half!! :cool1:

I am doing my first, the princess next month, and loved reading about your experience. Love your medal!!!

Thanks y'all! And good luck to all doing the Princess!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! Trust your training and listen to your body! I made it through as unscathed as I did because I listened to my body and did things like take walk breaks when needed, even if I was on a run interval.

dumbo_buddy ~ What kind of pace do you run? It would be cool to meet up for a training run sometime in prep for the full. :goodvibes Or, you know, coffee or something after a NYRR race if you do those.

dumbo_buddy ~ What kind of pace do you run? It would be cool to meet up for a training run sometime in prep for the full. :goodvibes Or, you know, coffee or something after a NYRR race if you do those.

hey beth - what kind of pace? that's a great question! haha. on the 4-6 mile runs i tend to be about 10:30 but it seems i get slower and slower as the miles add up. i did a 9 mile run on saturday and it said my average was 11:19 min/mile. i'm pretty sure the last two miles i was "running" at a pace of 14+!

i would like to get more involved with nyrr. i run up here in the bronx all the time. i did the race for the cure back in sept and it was fun to be a part of a run in central park.

hey beth - what kind of pace? that's a great question! haha. on the 4-6 mile runs i tend to be about 10:30 but it seems i get slower and slower as the miles add up. i did a 9 mile run on saturday and it said my average was 11:19 min/mile. i'm pretty sure the last two miles i was "running" at a pace of 14+!

dumbo_buddy - That's about my pace. During the half I started running at 10:30 through probably 5 miles...then it slowed to around 11:30 for the next 4 miles up until 9 miles. By the end I was only running 1 minute and walking 1 minute...and the running interval had to be between 13:00 and 14:00. Wish I could figure out how to keep it consistent the whole time!

verticalchaos - Congrats on your first half!!!

dumbo_buddy - That's about my pace. During the half I started running at 10:30 through probably 5 miles...then it slowed to around 11:30 for the next 4 miles up until 9 miles. By the end I was only running 1 minute and walking 1 minute...and the running interval had to be between 13:00 and 14:00. Wish I could figure out how to keep it consistent the whole time!

verticalchaos - Congrats on your first half!!!

sounds just like me. i've read many race reports where people run faster at the end of their race than at the beginning. yeah, that's not me. haha.

my brain still functions as a hater of running. so sometimes i feel like if i just hurry up and get the first couple miles out of the way then i can focus more on the higher miles and just be done already! i'm still at the point in my running career that no matter if i'm running 4 miles or 10 miles i still hate myself for the first 3 miles.

oh, hey beth - where in brooklyn are you? i lived in carroll gardens for about a year before we bought our house in the bx (where i'm from anyway)

sounds just like me. i've read many race reports where people run faster at the end of their race than at the beginning. yeah, that's not me. haha.

my brain still functions as a hater of running. so sometimes i feel like if i just hurry up and get the first couple miles out of the way then i can focus more on the higher miles and just be done already! i'm still at the point in my running career that no matter if i'm running 4 miles or 10 miles i still hate myself for the first 3 miles.

oh, hey beth - where in brooklyn are you? i lived in carroll gardens for about a year before we bought our house in the bx (where i'm from anyway)

I hear you guys on the pace fluctuation. My pace for corralling purposes with NYRR is somewhere like 11:58 - which still puts me in purple in most races. My pace for the Half was 12:47 - definitely need to work on that for the NYC Half since that's like only 13 seconds below their cut-off. OY! But I was as high as 10:45ish for some of my run intervals. It was more walking at the end that did me in - silly IT band. But I know I can go the distance and will just plan on upping the long runs by a mile or two (Coach Jenny told me that would be best) between now and then. Definitely want to work on getting to at LEAST even splits. I'd love to regularly do negative splits...but I think that's a ways away.

My next race is the NYRR Gridiron 4-miler on February 6. Meaning I need to get on this shoe replacement thing. LOL.

I'm in Bed-Stuy. It's not that bad, and I like my apartment and landlord.

~beth

Your story was inspiring and you tell it quite nicely. Keep the fire burning and continue on. Once your have done one you can do many more. I do 8 HALF's yearly now and will do the FIRST FULL in JAN 2012.

We both beat AL ROKER!! :yay:

Very cool race report! Love the pics too! I aspire to be at your pace! I am one of those slow 14 minute + average people. My goal is to get on a training plan before my next half (which is either in March or definitely June) and then the Disneyland Half in September. I want that coast to coast Walt and Mickey medal! I finished the 2011 WDW Half in 3:19 ( just behind Al Roker apparently), and I have the same kind of thing you were talking about happening: slowing down the second half. I would like to become more consistent and I know that comes from actually training. Here in MN where I live they have some running clubs but I haven't checked into them because I haven't felt "ready" to run with people who consider themselves serious runners. I think it's time to forget that attitude and just go for it!!

Thanks for sharing your story. Very inspiring and I appreciate it! Hope to hear more from you!

Very cool race report! Love the pics too! I aspire to be at your pace! I am one of those slow 14 minute + average people. My goal is to get on a training plan before my next half (which is either in March or definitely June) and then the Disneyland Half in September. I want that coast to coast Walt and Mickey medal! I finished the 2011 WDW Half in 3:19 ( just behind Al Roker apparently), and I have the same kind of thing you were talking about happening: slowing down the second half. I would like to become more consistent and I know that comes from actually training. Here in MN where I live they have some running clubs but I haven't checked into them because I haven't felt "ready" to run with people who consider themselves serious runners. I think it's time to forget that attitude and just go for it!!

Thanks for sharing your story. Very inspiring and I appreciate it! Hope to hear more from you!

Thanks! I'd definitely recommend checking into a running club. It may take a few visits to find the right one, or you might hit on it immediately. When I first decided to go to Front Runners, I was really nervous because I was slower than I am now. They have a "policy" that everyone new has a club member run with them, and I didn't want to a) mess up someone's marathon training (being in NYC the early fall is peak marathon training season) and/or b) annoy someone with how slow I was. Turns out I did ok - yes Sandi slowed her pace a little for me, but I kept up, even on my walking (probably why there's not that much difference between my walking and running paces...I need to work on that). Yes I'm one of the slower runners - but I'm not the slowest! I'm also not the only run/walker in the club. But everyone is just as supportive of me as they are of the speedsters. I've found that the encouragement the club provides spurs me to want to improve. We also (and I'd assume most clubs do this) have a "coach" and there are various trainings that are run - speed work, hill workouts, long runs, etc. that anyone can jump into (well, the long runs you need to be capable of going that speed and distance). Definitely well worth it! :D

Thanks so much for sharing your TR - I really enjoyed it and your pics! GREAT JOB! Love your hat - did you get it there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter