My first trip to Disneyland

DisneyCP2002

<font color=deeppink>I always am excited when 7 pm
Hi all :) I'm taking my first trip to Disneyland this christmas and I'm excited. I have a few first timer questions and hopefully some of you can help me.

1) We can't afford to stay in the main hotels. What are some good value-priced hotels nearby?

2) We are planning on staying for 4 days. What is our best option for tickets?

3) Priority seating necessary? How do I order the fantasmic package? What about Blue Bayou seating?

4) Are Small World Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday running this year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Here's the best answers that I have:

1) Disney does a lot of business with the Jolly Rodger Motel (it is the usual quoted motel in the "good neighbor" ads) I really didn't like it much. I felt that it was over-priced for the quality of rooms. (of course that may have been that the very next night I stayed at DLH and was completely spoiled!) Days Inn is ~$60 per night and Portofino is ~$80 per night. Penny Sleeper is the ultimate in economy at ~$45 per night. All of these I have either stayed in or have experience with. They are all pretty close.
2) Best ticket option would probably be a 4 day park hopper pass. Check with AAA if you have a membership.
3) I have no experience with the Fantasmic package, but as for dining at the Blue Bayou, make your reservations EARLY! You will find the entrance to the restaurant near the exit from POTC. I've never tried to make a reservation other than in person.
4) I seem to remember seeing the Haunted Mansion closed in Oct for the Holiday renovation on the schedule and Small World is always decorated.

We are going for four days (we leave on the fifth) and we bought two day hopper passes, so we would have some time to get situated and a day to just relax, since the vacation is so short. We were originally going to stay at the Seralago Hotels and Suites and our total was like $216 I think (for a standard room), but we did end up using our AAA discount to stay at a value resort. I think priority seatings are a good idea, just to be safe, and they are necessary for a lot of things. Thats all I can help you with, this will pretty much be our first trip to WDW as well. (We each went once as kids, about 13 years ago...) Hope this helps.

Candy Cane Inn gets a lot of recommendations, but I have never stayed there. Last July, during the week of the 4th!, we stayed at the Park Vue Inn. We chose that motel due to the price and proximity. No complaints, just a place to shower and sleep. We were literally within walking distance of the front gates, didn't have to depend on a shuttle like other motels in the area. Just something you may want to consider....

If you plan on spending 4 days in the parks, then a 4 day park hopper. You will need more time to see DL than DCA. We did 5 days last July and took our time and saw everything that was opened. Don't neglect DCA, it's got the best parade ever.....the Electrical Parade! :teeth:

I've never been during the holidays, but they should be up and running for your December trip.

Not familar with the Fantasmic Package, but if you don't use it...you will be sitting on the pavement for the show! And yes, get yourself a PS for Blue Bayou. We did it in person, but I think you can call in advance now.

Have a wonderful time and remember....this is Walt's Park. Try not to make comparisons to WDW, I know it's hard. The two resortss have different vibes for me. :goodvibes DL is a lovely resort and makes excellent use of space!

B9erSteve said:
Here's the best answers that I have:

1) Disney does a lot of business with the Jolly Rodger Motel (it is the usual quoted motel in the "good neighbor" ads)

AVOID the Jolly Roger!!!!!! Disneyland dropped it from its list of 'good neighbor' hotels this year and when we stayed there in 2001 someone got into our room and stole a couple of our bags. Motel management was completely worthless.

Howard Johnsons and the Candy Cane Inn get a lot of recomendations here. If you need the lowest buck place try the Alpine Inn ( http://www.alpineinnanaheim.com/ ), I believe they are the closest off-property motel (Although not the closest to the gate.) You can walk to the back of the property and be in the last bit of the old Disneyland parking lot. When its open, its apparently easy to catch a tram here to the gates. When its not, its still only about 2 blocks to the main gates.

I'm glad that the Jolly Roger was dropped. I thought that it was in poor repair and that the staff were substandard. I told my wife that we would not be back.

Hehe, I just read your thread while I was actually AWAKE... :blush: sorry, thought you said WDW, not DL! :rotfl:

Candy Cane, if we aren't staying at a Disney hotel, we stay at the Candy Cane. We have always had clean rooms and the staff are great. They usually offer AAA rates on their own website.

Thank you everyone for your tips. I am very much looking forward to this trip. This is my first time to Walt's park and I am excited. I have been waiting to make this trip because I also wanted to experience the 50th Anniversary. I am so excited already and the trip is still 8.5 months away. I had another question, how soon can I start making priority seatings espically for the Blue Bayou?

I believe that you can make PS for Blue Bayou at 45 days.

Also, Haunted Mansion is closed 9/6 through the end of September to get the holiday overlay.

I would pick Howard Johnson's, through Mousesavers you can get a really good deal. You can also get a good rate through the Entertainment Book. As for Blue Bayou, i thought it was 60 days out for PS but I could be wrong. My preference is to make the first reservation time of the day, then arrive 10 minutes before to check in, we have always gotten an on the water seat. Have fun!

according to MousePlanet the Haunted Mansion will not be getting the Holiday this year. See this Story MousePlanet Update Although it is confusing as they say: "Walt Disney Event Services has announced that there will be no Haunted Mansion Holiday event this year" then they follow-up with: "All expectations are that Haunted Mansion will still get the overlay, even without the merchandise event. Refurbishment schedules are starting to show the attraction closed in September and again in January 2006." So it appears that the Haunted Mansion Holiday is up in the air.

Buckimion said:
Disneyland dropped it from its list of 'good neighbor' hotels this year

Correction - I just checked the offical Disney travel site and found the Jolly Roger is listed again as a 'good neighboor' hotel.

Take the advice from those of us who have been 'Rogered' at this place and go elsewhere.

B9erSteve said:
according to MousePlanet the Haunted Mansion will not be getting the Holiday this year. See this Story MousePlanet Update Although it is confusing as they say: "Walt Disney Event Services has announced that there will be no Haunted Mansion Holiday event this year" then they follow-up with: "All expectations are that Haunted Mansion will still get the overlay, even without the merchandise event. Refurbishment schedules are starting to show the attraction closed in September and again in January 2006." So it appears that the Haunted Mansion Holiday is up in the air.

Perhaps what they mean is that they won't be doing the special ticketed event at which you can see the HMH before it officially opens and purchase the new merchandise a day before the general public. Though it would be nice if it weren't closed when I go. :flower: Thanks for the update!

After I re-read it a couple of times, it seems that you are probably right. It seems that a special merchandising event was called-off but the overlay will still happen.

1. Howard Johnson - join Mousesavers (its free) and get their cheap rate. We stayed there in December and it was superb - $60 per night, close, great service and very safe

2. I would have thought a 3 day hopper - you need 2 days for DL and 1 for DCA to do the properly.

3. We walked straight into BB, but were very lucky - I'd definitely book if wanting a meal there.

4. I read that HMH was NOT being done this year because of the 50th, but no stories seem to be suggesting it will be. Everything I've read suggests Small World will be decorated as usual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter