• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My First Solo Trip to WDW

figment74

DIS Dad #211
Pre Trip let the planning begin. This is hands down my favorite part of going to WDW.

Flight is booked for 9/29 - 10-5

Rental car has been secured.

Still need to book a room for Thursday night. I'm leaning towards On property, but still haven't narrowed choice down. I know I'm running out of time. .

Going to MNSSHP on Thursday night, really want to see the MK haven't been back since 2015.

Friday morning, I'll hwad over to DHS and check out the changes over there. Have to ride TOT, and GMR. I heard the movie ride might be closing forever, so I want to experience it one last time before it changes. (oh who am I kidding I don't need an a excuse to ride GMR!) lol!!

Friday afternoon - Disney springs I think for lunch (recommendations?)

Friday evening, drive to Tampa to hang with my Bro.

Sat - Sun Tampa? What to do in Tampa??

Monday - drive to Orlando Airport and return the rental. Then take ME to CS for 3 days of WDW bliss!

Monday - I'll likely go to MK for the morning and then back to the resort mid day for a swim. then over to Poly Mon evening for Dinner at Trader Sam's. I really miss the Adventurer's Club and I hear this is close. Mon evening, back to MK. Till close, and then over to Cafe Rix at the CS for some fun.

Tuesday - Breakfast at the CS food court. I have to have a Chocolate croissant. Then off to Epcot for Soarin and Test-track . Shouldn't need a FP for Test Track (solo rules!) The rest of the day and night will be at EPCOT for F&W. Dinner/Lunch will be a grazing experience as I wonder around WS and sample all the yummy treats.

Wed - I don't even want to think about this day. This is travel day. But My flight is not till 5, so I can def go play for a bit in the morning, just a question of where. Leaning towards AK, as it's the one place I will not have been to this trip, I feel the need to see Nemo.

That's my trip in a nutshell, what started out a weekend with a buddy has turned into a decent trip to WDW just a bit nervous about going solo.

Last edited:
Update:

Just found out the Buena Vista Palace is not only a Hilton Hotel, but also a Disney Hostel, and is only a few blocks from Disney Springs.

Thursday the 29th - Buena Vista Palace then MNSSHP!
Friday morning - Check out, and then head over to HWS for some fun in the morning then over to Disney Springs for Lunch. (still looking for recommendations)
I haven't been there since it was last called Downtown Disney.

OMG 2 weeks till Disney (I'm officially jazzed out now!)

2nd Update -

Changed my flight to 5:40 AM (what am I thinking?!?!) Oh right, I want to be in Orlando before 11 am. That's what. lol.
Changed my Car pick-up for 10 am now instead of 3. I am getting so much extra time now!
Will pick up my AP Thursday Morning, and then head over to HWS to get my AP, and pick-up my MNSSHP ticket as well.

Lunch and then back to Hotel for a BAN! (Big A$$ Nap)

Dinner around 4 ish (much earlier than I'm used to) Or maybe I'll just have to have dinner at the MK??

@ 6:00 I'll head over to the MK for the party. Hoping it's not overly crowded. Now the only question left is do I pack a costume? It's just me so I'm leaning in the direction of not this time. I could just go as a WDW tourist from 20 years ago. I have a few vintage WDW shirts.

Looks like a really great trip! So it looks like I'm in Orlando while you're in Tampa. Of course. Ha. I arrive Friday late afternoon. Staying at Pop. Probably Epcot for the evening. MK all day Saturday. Epcot Sunday until late afternoon. Then MK anf the MNSSHP. Probably something Monday morning for awhile and then have to leave around lunchtime. Too bad we can't meet up!

Solo is so fun. I promise you will have a great time!

So there are a few possibilities. Friday night for a bit. And then again Monday Morning. Friday there is nothing set in-stone on when I have to be in Tampa, so could meet there. (beauty of the rental). Monday I'll be at CS early morning to secure my room, and then from there I'm open. I just need to find my SOTMK cards! I know I want to play at some point next week.

So there are a few possibilities. Friday night for a bit. And then again Monday Morning. Friday there is nothing set in-stone on when I have to be in Tampa, so could meet there. (beauty of the rental). Monday I'll be at CS early morning to secure my room, and then from there I'm open. I just need to find my SOTMK cards! I know I want to play at some point next week.

Ah gotcha!

Sounds like a good trip. Earl of Sandwich was a favorite, but I think they made the sandwiches smaller (or less meat and cheese) and it wasn't as good as last time. You could always just a high calorie ice cream at Ghiradhelli. Or, if you want fruit, I like those chocolate covered apples. :lmao:

I love the Earl of Sandwich. They have a Turkey Cranberry that is amazing, usually only available in the Fall, granted it's been a few years since I've been, so I could be mistaken. I completely forgot about Ghiradhelli. I've always wanted to get a Sundae from there. Might have to check it out. Thanks again.

Trip report day 1:

Arrived at the Airport around 10:00 and made for baggage claim.Got my car, and headed for the Buenavista Palace hotel.

The hotel itself was ok, clean an nicely appointed (not a disney hotel by any stretch) and the parking was not convenient at all.I had to walk almost 15 min to my room.I know it seems a petty issue, but when I stay at a Hilton I expect that the parking would be somewhat convenient.In this case the convenient parking was Valet.After getting settled in my room I headed over to Disney Springs.I've never been there before, and was anxious to check this place out.Disney Springs did not dissapoint.I spent a good 2 hours just wondering around the the complex taking it all in before deciding where to have lunch before heading to MNSSHP.Around 1:00 the sky opened up and the rain was intense.Glad I was wearing my sandals.

I made my over the the paterissie and spoke with a pastry chef for about 20 min about all thier amazing deserts, of which I did not try any, but will soon enough.I noticed he was from Canada, so I asked him about the Poutine.He replied it was the closest thing he's had since being in the states to the real thing.I made up my mind, and had a Poutine with Yuengling.This was delicious, and nice snack prior to dinner.(which never came, lol.More on that later.)

After my snack, I made my way over to Raglan Road to examine what they had on tap.The section was closed but the bartender came over to talk to me about the different options, incuding letting me sample several of the beers and ciders.Some I liked and others were not at all palatteable.After exploring DSI made my way to the hotel, as it was about 4 and I needed to get ready for the party.At the room, I took a shower, and then a nap.Woke about 6 pm, and made my way to the MK.

Since I had an AP I decided to drive.Got the MK doors by 6:30 just in time for the party to get going.I grabbed my Trick or Treat bag, and made my way to the first treat station.This was a preselected bag consiting of a full size bag of M&M's a fun Snickers bar, and health bar as well.From there I made my way to adventure land. (I always go to the Left first) From here I moved towards the Tiki room, and got a Dole Whip.(Delicious)I thenmoved around the park towards Frontier Land (by way of the passage that links the two areas) and found myself near Diamond Horseshoe.I could hear the Howl of the Mansion as if it were callingto me.I decided this would be my first ride of the night.At the Mansion there was a gohstly character talking with the passersby (myself included).I interected with her briefly, and prceeded into the Mansion.At the end of the ride the Ghost in my doombuggy held a sign up(Virgina bound)How did he know where I live??Oh right the RFID on my wrist.Is this cool, or creepy?lol!.

After the Mansion I waited for the Horse carrige specialty photo and then , I naturally moved on to Fantasyland for more candy (I'd have two bags before the night was over).In Fantasyland I walked around and enjoyed the atmosphere(something that wouldn't have been so easy had I not been alone).After Fantasyland I found myself in Tomorrow land and near Buz Lightyear Space ranger Spin.This is one of my favorite rides.The line was less than 10 min, so on I went.I walked straigt on, and scored about 300k.Not a bad score, but I've gotten 999,999 more than once.Wasn't able this time, but I'm going back on Mon or Tues.After Buzz, I move back around the park towards the Hub by way of Aventureland.Getting Hungry I tried to find some food, and nothing was appealing to me, I ultimately found myself at the Hub after several photo Ops.At this point it's about 10 pm.I waited for the Hocus Pocus show, and then the Disney Celebrate the Magic, the Holowishes Fireworks, and finally the Parade.I've been to the MNSSHP more than a few times, and already had seen the fireworks and the parade, so I was most interested in the Magic, and Hocus Pocus.Both shows did not dissapoint.I highly reccomend them. Up to this point I was not missing a companion for my exploits.It wasn't till the fireworks began that I started to miss having my Daughter with me.Still the show was awesome as always.I'll not take the time to explain these shows as far more tallented writers than I have done so already.Suffice it to say that MNSSHP was a great time even though I would have liked to have shared it with another person, I still had fun.I caught the tram out to the TTC and back to my car.I've still not eaten, and was very hungry.I got back to my room about 1:00 am, and changed out of my Pirate Costume, only to find that all my dining options had since closed.Utterly dejected, I sucombed to exhaustion.

Day 2:

Woke at a reasonable hour and packed up took my luggage to bell services then Drove my car over to EPCOT.Once in the park I attempet to ride Spaceship Earth, which had over a 90 min wait.Opting for another route I made my way over to Mission Space and took the Green experience.This was an amazing attraction.Highly reccomend this.After Mission Space, I moved on to Test track.This felt a great deal like a TRON overay on the orignal Test Track.Still it was alot of fun.From Test Track I moved on to Club Cool to taste some Coke from around the world.I hadn't been in a while and was dissapointed to see that Mezo Mix was not there anymore, but many of the flavors that they did have were delicious.Yes I dd try the Beverly.(try it right before Lunch anything will taste better after drinking Beverly.lol

Next I walked over to World Showcase.I looked at several of the counter service options for Lunch, but ultimately just walked around the Showcase and then took the boat over to DHS.At the Studios I caught the March of the First order.An interesting display to be sure.I was there mainly to catch the Star Wars Fireworks.I walked around the park a bit looking for Lunch/dinner.By this time I was getting very hungry.After attempting to get a table at Prime Time, or SCI-FI and being unsuccfull in both ventures I decided Counter Service was my best option.I finally ended up at Backlot Counter Serivce.Here I had the Tomato Caprese' with a Yuengling Beer and Fries.This was very tasty.The Mozzeralla was fresh, and the Tomoatoes juciy.The star of the sandwich was the Balsamic dressing.This made for a very Tasty Lunch.

After Lunch I went on the Great Movie Ride.It had been a while since I was on this Ride, but for the most part it was exaclty as I remembered it despite the fact that it was now sponsered by TCM.They changed the Final scene but other than that, it was just as I rememberd.

After I enjoyed the GMR, I found a place to watch the Star Wars Fireworks.Let me just say this, make sure you have a good clear view of the Chinese Theater.The show mainly takes place on the Theater, and the fireworks are very cool.Not as cool as Fantasmic, but a very cool show just the same.Looking forward to seeing this again in the Spring.After the show ended, I caught a bus back to EPCOT and my car.From there I drove over to Disney Springs to get a cupcake from Sprinkles.With Cupcake and luggage acquired (I picked it up from bell services) I made my way to Tampa to visit a friend for the weekend.Back to WDW on Monday for day 3 of my Disney trip.

Day 3.

I dropped my Rental at the Hilton Bonett Creek and then took an Uber to the CS resort to check in and begin phase 2 of my Disney Vaca.

At check-in I discovered that I had been Comp upgraded to a "Preferred" room.Score!Once I checked in I made my way to Baggage Check to drop my bags before heading in to the parks.As I was checking my bags I got an alert that my room was ready @ 11 am!.Love Disney Service.Since the room was ready for check-in I headed over to the room Casitias 2.I have to say I was not overly impressed with the room.Not much different than what I'm used to over in the Cabanna's.I wasn't super close to the Dig Site, or a bus stop, so all in all not an upgrade in my mind.Still it's CS, so no complaints here.

Once I got settled in the Room I made an ADR for Spice Road, and then headed over to EPCOT.I also had a FP for Spaceship Earth, so I rode that first.Not much has changed on this attraction.I did note that the Camera did not overlay my picture on the story at the end, but other than that, still the same entertaining show it's always been.From here I saw that Baymax had a very short wait (less than 30 min) so I got in line to get a pic with him.From there I saw that there was a very short line at the Chase Visa Picture line, so I got my Pics with Goofy and Mickey.Next I went to Character Connection for my FP with Mickey, Minne, and Goofy.(You can never have too many pics).After Pics I went to Spice Road for Lunch.I was all set to order the Crusted Lamb Chop when the server insited that the Mixed Grill was a much better choice.I Enjoyed this very much.The Fried potatoes were a bit heavy, but the chimi-churi sauce for the beef kabob was delicious.After Lunch I was craving something sweet, so I got some Chocolate Baklova.(delicious!)

Now that it was mid day it was time for me to head over to MK.I knew that if I didn't go to the HOP that the next time I went a different speaker would be there.I got to MK around 4, and made my way over to Pirates.After POC, I moved onward towards Haunted Mansion for my second ride of the trip.Both Pirates and HM had less than a 10 min wait.From HM I moved through Fantasy Land, and saw that there was a 90 min wait for the mine train, so moving right along.I went to check out the COP.I hadn't seen this show in years, and I swear that the AA has been updated.The final scene looks the same as always, though I think the projection TV was replaced with a Flat Screen.After COP I walked past Buzz and saw that the wait was over 30 min.No thank you.I walked back over to HOP, and missed the 2nd to last showing by 5 min.I chose to walk around a bit and take in the ambiance before heading back to HOP just in time for the last show of night (and as it would turn out, my trip).

After HOP I took a bus back to CS to prepare to go out for the night.By this point it's 10:30 and I am thinking maybe I should go soak in the Hot Tub first.So I made my way over to the Dig Site (the main pool)and got in the Tub.30 min later the pool closed.I went back to my room(a not so short 10 min walk).I had planned to go to Raglan Road @ DS, but decided to call it a night.

Day 4.EPCOT Food and Wine!!!!!

I woke around 10:00 am, got dressed and made my way to the Bus stop.I was halfway to the bus when I remebered I forgot my phone.I had to go back to the room to get it.Phone now firmly in-hand, I caught the bus to EPCOT.Arrived at EPCOT around 11:00 am, and met my friends.(up till now this has been a solo trip, today would be different).We all looked at one another asking the same question Left or Right.Well Right starts off in Green House Guru and Chocolate Studio and leads to Canada and Beer Cheese Soup so natch we went that way.At Green House I had the Duck Confit with Polenta.The Duck was delicious, but the Polenta left me wanting.Fortunately Chocolate was around the corner.Liquid Nitro Choco Almond Truffle with Wiskey Carmel.OMG this was AMAZING!!!.I wanted 2nds and thirds, but we were just starting out.From here we went to the Wine and Dine Studio.Where I had the Pork Tenderloin, and Conundrum wine pairing.Very Tasty.On to the Islands of the Carribean for Mojo pork with the Presdente Pils.another tasty treat.Around the corner was the refreshment port (nothing i needed here) and Greece.While I did consider the Gyro for a min, I opted to pass as more delectible options were around the corner (litterally).On To Canada for Beer Cheese Soup, and a Moosehead Lager.Nuf said!.Moving along we passed Ireland but not before stopping in Rose & Crown for an Irish Car Bomb.I stopped in the Tea Shop to pick up some Varites of Earl Gray Tea that I can't buy in my local store and then we crossed the bridge into France.I france I got the Chocolate Creme Brule, and Kronenburg Pale Lager, both of which were very tasty.By this point it's almost 2 and we start discussing heading back to the front of the park via boat so that we can begin from Mexico.I suggest that we go to the Chase Lounge first to get a drink, and cool off as well as recharge our phones.After a quick confab we press on towards American Pavilion.Cool off and recharge.After the recharge we catch the boat in Morocco, and head to the front of the park.Once off the boat we head over to Farm Fresh for the Loaded Mac and Cheese with the Wood Chuck Raspberry Cider.This was very good also.At Patagonia I had the Beef Skewer.It was ok, nothing special.From here we walked over to innoventions to get my Passholder Glass, it was about that point that the sky opened and a deluge of rain began to fall from it.We made our way back to the enterance of WS, where they were attempting to Film "The Chew".I was speaking with a random guest in the park when Mario Batalli walked right past me.I couldn't belive it.Very Cool.Now we headed in towards Mexico.This is where I had the best dish of F&W for me.In New Zealand they have a Venison dish.I walked up to place my order and asked if they had rare venison.The Chef said sure if you don't mind waiting a few min.I said of course not, and he procceded to cook my dish to order.The Wild Mushroom sauce was outstanding!! It was about this time that I remarked the Grand Fiesta Tour only has a 5 min wait, and my friends reminded me that we are here to Eat and Drink around the world and not ride rides.lol.I had a FP for Soarin @ 8:30 that I was not going to miss.

After Mexico was South Korea.Here I sampled the Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi.My only issue here was that there was just not enough Kimchi.Still very tasty.In Africa I had to try the "Buttered Chicken"Since the Dis told me to.This was good, but definately not the best I had to eat that day.Moving right along we come to the Brewer's Collection.(BEEER!!!!)Yum..I did a flight here, and all were tasty.I'm German, so there wasn't much here I didn't link.Which Brings us to Germany.I passed this as Poland was right around the corner and I was starting to get full.lol.Had to pace myself as I still had a good 4 hours to go..in Poland I had the Pierogies (what else??) Oh and the Stuffed Cabbage Roll.This was very good, but I have to say I like my Mom's better.About this time we had completed our circle of the World, and it was time to get our seat for Wilson Phillips.Well most of the band.Carnie was sick.Still they played for a good 40 min, and after that I made my way over to Soarin for my 8:30 FP.I haven't been on this attraction since the update.I liked the new scenes better, yes even the transistions from scene to scene.After Soarin I was wiped out, so I got a ride back to CS.I was going to go to Raglan road, but did not.I opted for Sleep instead, after a soak in the Hot tub.

Day 4 (time to Go Home.):(

Woke early, took my luggage to the Bag check.My DME wasn't supposed to pick me up till 3.So I had lots of time to go play.I headed into DHS, with only 1 mission.Ok 2.I had to ride TOT and TSM.Oh and check out Star Tours and Muppet's.Not in that Order.TOT was as epic as I remembered.I think the vator dropped 5 times maybe more.After TOT, I tried to get a table for an early lunch over at Prime Time.No Joy.:(.I walked over to Muppets, and watched the show.Nothing has changed here in years.It's time to update this one.After Muppets I went to Backlot and got one last Tomato Caprese sandwich with a yeungling.Yummy!After lunch I watched the Jedi academy take on Vader.Lots of fun to see these little ones try to be Jedi.Since I was right there and had a magic FP (go to the DVC pitch, $50 and 3 magic FP)I went on Star Tours.Hadn't been on this one since Force Awakens was added to the story.Again Nice ride, just wish it didn't make me queasy.At this point I was craving somthing sweet.PB&J shakes anyone?Don't mind if I do.Yummy.Time was running out, so headed over to TSM for my last ride of the trip.Not including DME.TSM was lots of fun, just wish i didn't have to pull that cord over and over again.Hate that part.After TSM I went to catch my bus back to CS.I arrived at the Bus Terminal just in time to see my Bus drive by.No choice but to wait.40 min later my Bus finally picked me up.When the bus got back to the resort it droped me at one of the room stops, and not the main building.This made it necessary for me to run to the DME pick up as I only had 10 min till my pick-up time.I did make to the bus with 5 min to spare.Thus ended my first of at least 3 trips to Disney on my new AP.

Last edited:
Great report! How did you like going solo? Would you do it again? (I loved my solo trip!)

Thanks for reading.. . I am doing it again. I am going to Starwars Celebration in April. I am planning on CS again. Just a matter of the right price. With the AP I just bought I will solo in April. DD and I will travel in June. And then in September/OCt I plan to solo for food and wine. The biggest thing I leanred is that it is sometimes nice to have someone to check my indecision. I probably wouldn't have wasted as much time just wondering around trying to pick something to do. This particular trip I only had one sit down in the parks. So my costs were controlled by my consuming mostly counter service. In April I plan to have some actual sit down meals. Now that I have several months to plan. I def prefer the planned trip to the unplanned one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter