My first set of gel nails

JohnDaleswife

Sharing the same birthday with Donald Duck!
I just got my first set of gel nails the other day at my local vietnamese nail salon where I go regularly. They cost me $30 for a full set. The usual acrylic ones cost $25. They didn't do anything different what so ever except use a gel powder and a gel clear coat on the top. Not sure if they are worth an extra $5 for a full set or not.

I guess the supplies could cost more. Not sure.

Did you need to place your hands under a "lamp" after each coat? if so that sets the gel powder and makes them last longer.

True gel is a gel, not "gel powder". More than likely, they put the usual acrylic on, but then did a gel top coat, and called it a set of gel nails. They are notorious for doing this.

Is was a type of gel powder. I know for a fact it was not acrylic because I know what they keep their acrylic in and it was a totally different jar/substance. But it was not a true gel to begin with. The only time I put my hands under a light was at the end when I was letting them dry. I was thinking that I should have been doing some type of light/lamp, but I also knew I am at a discount vietnamese place. I mean, they look good, and they seem real sturdy, which I need. But I don't know if they are worth an extra $5 for a full set or $3 for a fill-in just yet.

real gel nails need to be under the light after each coat. I have never seen gel powder and would suspect you are only getting a gel top coat. I have had gel nails for over 10 years and I think they are worth every penny.

real gel nails need to be under the light after each coat. I have never seen gel powder and would suspect you are only getting a gel top coat. I have had gel nails for over 10 years and I think they are worth every penny.

This. Gel powder is an oxymoron, gel is gel and powder is powder. It may have been a different jar/substance, but it wasn't gel. Most likely acrylic cut with something else. I wouldn't form an opinion on gel nails based on this experience. As to whether it's worth it, probably not, it's not really gel.

I get a gel manicure every two weeks and they are definitely worth it. No chips at all. Definitely worth $30 including tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter