My first run Disney event!

SnowhiteHeather

Earning My Ears
about 2 years ago I did my first 5k, I am not a runner! But I fell in love with the swag, shirts, and the feeling I get after running/walking 3.15 miles. I soon after discovered Run Disney. Since I am OBSESSED with Disney I was like omg I need to do this. However, I always read that there was a time limit and you must keep a pace of 16 mins a mile. I had yet to do this. So I was so scared! I did the color run last weekend in a little under an hour which was still about 19 mins a mile. I had read if you don't keep the 16/ mile you get picked up and carting to the finish line. So all week I just told myself I would run as far as I could and if I got picked up that was ok. So Saturday morning we loaded our corrals to go. I started off at a nice pace, and passed up allll the character photo stops. After mile 1.5 I was so tired I had to walk. BUT there were so many people behind me! I didnt maintain my 16/mile but I didn't get picked up! I finished in under an hour, got my really awesome Haunted mansion themed medal to go with my awesome shirt and I got my Disney snack box, a banana and powerade and basked in the glory of finishing my first Disney run! It may not have been the 10 miler, but I did it! I am still addicted and I am thinking about doing the Mt Everest challenge in May. If anyone is thinking about doing one of these events I highly recommend it! They are sort of crowded but so organized! It's Disney! So you are well taken care of. Also the health and fitness expo was very cool too! They have runs for kids, beginners, and advanced. =D

Congrats runner. I did the 10-miler that night. So much fun. My first ever race was the Everest 5K and I had a blast. They typically don't pick people up for the 5K since it is in one location. Rest assured, thy were definitely picking People up for the 10-miler. Continue to train everyday and soon you will be doing 5K's everyday for a warm up jog Once again, congrats runner. Enjoy your medal. See you at the Everest 5K

It may not have been the 10 miler, but I did it! I am still addicted and I am thinking about doing the Mt Everest challenge in May. If anyone is thinking about doing one of these events I highly recommend it! They are sort of crowded but so organized! It's Disney! So you are well taken care of. Also the health and fitness expo was very cool too! They have runs for kids, beginners, and advanced. =D

Congrats! Welcome to runDisney Anonymous. My name is Bilynn and I'm addicted to runDisney races :rotfl: Keep up the motivation and before you know it you'll be doing longer races! One of the best things about runDisney is their medal designs. Show it off!

Congrats runner. I did the 10-miler that night. So much fun. My first ever race was the Everest 5K and I had a blast. They typically don't pick people up for the 5K since it is in one location. Rest assured, thy were definitely picking People up for the 10-miler. Continue to train everyday and soon you will be doing 5K's everyday for a warm up jog Once again, congrats runner. Enjoy your medal. See you at the Everest 5K

I did the 10-Miler, too! I heard they picked up 3 buses and 2 vans. The course was really rough for me, so I completely understand. But man, that medal was sweet. I don't know if I'll do it again, but it was a lot of fun.

Congrats! Welcome to runDisney Anonymous. My name is Bilynn and I'm addicted to runDisney races :rotfl: Keep up the motivation and before you know it you'll be doing longer races! One of the best things about runDisney is their medal designs. Show it off! I did the 10-Miler, too! I heard they picked up 3 buses and 2 vans. The course was really rough for me, so I completely understand. But man, that medal was sweet. I don't know if I'll do it again, but it was a lot of fun.

Haha. I was coming off an injury and Was expecting to get swept. Once I got to mile 8 I knew I did it. It was so amazing. I'm definitely doing it again. I am gonna run Dopey in 2015. Or that is my goal. A marathon before in 30

Haha. I was coming off an injury and Was expecting to get swept. Once I got to mile 8 I knew I did it. It was so amazing. I'm definitely doing it again. I am gonna run Dopey in 2015. Or that is my goal. A marathon before in 30

I'm always coming off an injury :sad: haha! You're gonna run Dopey?! You're nuts. And I mean that in the best possible way haha!

I am so not a runner but My first rundisney event was jungle jingle last November. Last year it was very humid and since it was my first race I didn't stop for photos. I have since done a few 5k races where I have both run and walk. Coming off an injury this winter I haven't trained like I should have . Just did the color run yesterday while walking and will be doing the jungle jingle with a friend this year(Where I will be stopping for photos) Would love to get up to either a 10 miles or half marathon.

It excites me to see so many other people addicted to run Disney =D I know registration for the Everest challenge opens in Dec so i'll be all over that. Then MAYBE 2016 i'll aim for the glass slipper 10k =D in the mean time I have a color foam run in my town followed by the turkey trot to get me ready for my Disney runs!

I will be running the Wine and Dine 1/2 for the first time. I'm glad to hear Disney puts on a fun race. Any pointers for a new runner at her first 1/2?

I'll be participating in the 10k race during Princess Half-Marathon weekend. This will be my first race and I'm not a runner either. Looking forward to this experience and I figure this will become an addiction for me as well. Anyone else signed up for any of the races that weekend?

I'm also a member of the runDisney addicts club. :rolleyes1

I started with the Neverland 5k, then the Disneyland 10k, am doing the Avengers half in a few weeks, and the Rebel Challenge in January. I've got the bug bad.

I've been loosely following the Galloway run/walk programs and have progressed much faster than I ever thought I could. A year ago the 5k was exhausting, now it's my non stop run distance, my average run is a 10k run/walk and my long runs are 13+ miles of run/walk, I started with 2/1 intervals and am up to 4/1 intervals and running longer than I ever imagined. The run/walk intervals really do make previously unthinkable distances possible, if you haven't experimented with it give it a try.

ETA: Check out the events section of the wish board here on the DIS if you're ever in need of a runDisney fix.

I will be running the Wine and Dine 1/2 for the first time. I'm glad to hear Disney puts on a fun race. Any pointers for a new runner at her first 1/2?

I ran my first runDisney race at the ToT this year. It was some of the most fun I have ever had at Disney. So, my pointer would be to have fun with it. It is a big event. Your race will have more people than the ToT and that was A LOT of people. Enjoy the party before the race and even more after. Get to the porta potties in enough time to get to the corrals on time. I spent at least 20 minutes in line waiting to go to the bathroom.

I don't know what your plans for the park are in the days before the race but I would say try to take it easy. I didn't get any blisters in any of my training but I got some the day before the race because I was trying to get so much done in the parks. I ran the race with them and they got worse, obviously.

Good luck with the race and have a great time!!!!!!

For those of you who say you are not runners. I say, yes you are. Everyone who has both legs is built to run (unless there is an obvious disability) When I first joined the ToT thread I said I wasn't a runner as well. That was in February of this year. Someone on there told me I was a runner and we were all built to run. We may not have that runner "look" but we can all run. That opened my eyes. This year I ran a 10K (to submit proof of time for ToT), then ToT and came in 637th place out of 9389 finishers, and last Sunday I ran my first marathon. I just came back from my first run since recovering from the marathon. I only did 3.23 miles. When I first started running in March I couldn't run 1 mile without sucking wind like a Hoover. Just 7-8 months later, with a little belief in myself and a change in the way I look at myself, I am a marathoner and I do 3.23 miles as a warm-up run. I would have done more but the blisters I got from the marathon were starting to hurt again. (On a side note, I ran my marathon and next to me a good part of the race was a blind man. If he can do it you all can do it)

I don't say any of this to brag, so hopefully it doesn't come across that way. I am just trying to make a point that a change from that "can't do" outlook of "I am not a runner" to a "can do" outlook and you can do whatever distance you decide you want to do. You may not win the race, I know I probably never will, but you will finish and have fun doing it.

Go read some of my first posts on the ToT thread and compare them to the last few. It's like a night and day difference.

I ran my first runDisney race at the ToT this year. It was some of the most fun I have ever had at Disney. So, my pointer would be to have fun with it. It is a big event. Your race will have more people than the ToT and that was A LOT of people. Enjoy the party before the race and even more after. Get to the porta potties in enough time to get to the corrals on time. I spent at least 20 minutes in line waiting to go to the bathroom.

I don't know what your plans for the park are in the days before the race but I would say try to take it easy. I didn't get any blisters in any of my training but I got some the day before the race because I was trying to get so much done in the parks. I ran the race with them and they got worse, obviously.

Good luck with the race and have a great time!!!!!!

For those of you who say you are not runners. I say, yes you are. Everyone who has both legs is built to run (unless there is an obvious disability) When I first joined the ToT thread I said I wasn't a runner as well. That was in February of this year. Someone on there told me I was a runner and we were all built to run. We may not have that runner "look" but we can all run. That opened my eyes. This year I ran a 10K (to submit proof of time for ToT), then ToT and came in 637th place out of 9389 finishers, and last Sunday I ran my first marathon. I just came back from my first run since recovering from the marathon. I only did 3.23 miles. When I first started running in March I couldn't run 1 mile without sucking wind like a Hoover. Just 7-8 months later, with a little belief in myself and a change in the way I look at myself, I am a marathoner and I do 3.23 miles as a warm-up run. I would have done more but the blisters I got from the marathon were starting to hurt again. (On a side note, I ran my marathon and next to me a good part of the race was a blind man. If he can do it you all can do it)

I don't say any of this to brag, so hopefully it doesn't come across that way. I am just trying to make a point that a change from that "can't do" outlook of "I am not a runner" to a "can do" outlook and you can do whatever distance you decide you want to do. You may not win the race, I know I probably never will, but you will finish and have fun doing it.

Go read some of my first posts on the ToT thread and compare them to the last few. It's like a night and day difference.

Congratulations on everything you've accomplished! :woohoo: And you SHOULD brag! What you've done is awesome! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Congratulations on everything you've accomplished! :woohoo: And you SHOULD brag! What you've done is awesome! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Thank you. And I am proud of what I accomplished. But, I am just trying to give back a little since there were so many encouraging people on this site that helped me when I doubted myself.

I hope someone else sees that it doesn't matter how fast they are in a race. It doesn't matter if they come in first or last. What matters is that they set a goal and they work hard to accomplish it. My goal was to finish my first marathon in under 4:00. I didn't do it but I know I gave it everything I had that race and I learned that I will need A LOT more training next year when I do finally reach that goal.

The point is, I am not giving up on myself anymore like I did in the past. I hope I can help just one person believe in themselves and to push themselves to go for something they don't "think" they can do. Because they can. It may or may not be on this thread but I will help someone if it kills me. :)

Thank you for the advice. Preparing for a race is no easy feat. So we should all be proud with our accomplishments. I plan to take the day of the race easy and just spend time at the hotel. Maybe even a few cat naps.

Congrats to all who have completed their races.

I am so not a runner but My first rundisney event was jungle jingle last November. Last year it was very humid and since it was my first race I didn't stop for photos. I have since done a few 5k races where I have both run and walk. Coming off an injury this winter I haven't trained like I should have . Just did the color run yesterday while walking and will be doing the jungle jingle with a friend this year(Where I will be stopping for photos) Would love to get up to either a 10 miles or half marathon.

How much time does stopping for photos take? This is my first Disney 5K. I have been able to walk in the others I have done. Finished 1 hour 20 minutes.
Been training since March and lost 20 lbs. Still 100 over weight but it's coming along. I don't have the stamina to run for very long and switch between walk/run. I also have bad knees and am worried about the cold which makes them hurt worse. I want to enjoy the time and if I get swept at least I gave it my best. Just hoping I can finish.

Anyone think this is doable????::yes::???

How much time does stopping for photos take? This is my first Disney 5K. I have been able to walk in the others I have done. Finished 1 hour 20 minutes.
Been training since March and lost 20 lbs. Still 100 over weight but it's coming along. I don't have the stamina to run for very long and switch between walk/run. I also have bad knees and am worried about the cold which makes them hurt worse. I want to enjoy the time and if I get swept at least I gave it my best. Just hoping I can finish.

Anyone think this is doable????::yes::???

First thing is, this is doable. If you think you can do it and you put in the work it is possible. The only thing stopping you is you!!!!

As for the pics. It really all depends on the lines. I know that is obvious but if there is no line you will be done with the pic in about 30 seconds. But, I heard they do not sweep people in the 5K's because they are typically in a park and not tying up the streets. They are more laid back. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to go fast but I think you will be fine.

Hope that helps.

I was wondering about the pictures too. We are running our first runDisney event, the half marathon, in January. I saw a list on character stops from last years run. It looks like there were 13-14 (quite a few in MK). If we stop for half of them I am guessing it might add 25-30 min on to our expected finish time?
Also, does anyone know how much the photos are? And where the photographers are? I am guessing at the finish but are there other key places to be on the lookout?

Congrats! I wish I could do a Disney run... I did a 10 km run this fall and loved it, and the atmosphere in disney seems like so much fun. Hoping to do the Princess Half-Marathon one day. Was the race very organized? Did you feel like it was too crowded?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter