My first roller coaster ride..maybe

Aeryn76

Mouseketeer
Ok so I have never ever been on a roller coaster in my life. Hate heights, don't like being scared on purpose and get freaked thinking about going upside down. I don't have motion sickness problems so that isn't a issue. I rode Star Tours 3 times for my first visit and I have done Soarin.

So for my second visit to WDW I was thinking about just going for it and doing Big Thunder. I looked on Youtube and it looks ok but looking online and really doing it is a whole other thing. I don't want to do the other coasters and you couldn't pay me enough to do ToT! :faint:

But what do you guys think of using Big Thunder as a first time coaster? Also keep in mind it will be a solo trip for me, so no one to latch on to if I get scared (dirtyword). :scared:

I think BTMRR is a very good choice for a "first roller coaster experience". It is often recommended for this. Well, for kids mostly. However, it is well themed and very Disney.

If you wanted to work up to it, you could ride Barnstormer, as it is smaller than BTM, but I am thinking that you would be good starting at the mountain. My dd16 is, like you, afraid of heights, hates the thought of going upside down (she's done a couple times on rides that do, but always hated), the difference being that she has been on smaller coasters since she was 4 years old. She loves Big Thunder Mountain and wants to ride it every time. She HATES space mountain, rode but did not like Rock N Roller Coaster, will not even consider ToT, and will not ride Everest. We live near Busch Gardens Tampa and when they opened Cheetah Hunt (LIM coaster like RnR, only 1 corkscrew) she decided she wanted to try it. She literally cried the entire ride from right after launch till she got off, and will never try it again. So based off her, I think that Big Thunder Mountain would be okay for you too. Good luck!

BTMRR is great for a first coaster! There are no real heights that I can remember-- even when you go up you're on a mountain, so there's really no dead air around to give that 'holy crap' feeling. I am a bit of a drop chicken (I despise the stomach lurching 'air time' sensation) but I never hesitate on BTMRR.

One tip for roller coasters in general: because the car acts a bit like a whip, the wildest ride is typically in the very back car and the mildest is in the very front. It's not a HUGE difference, but definitely noticeable, so I would request the front car for your first time. I will still only ride Expedition Everest in the front, but BTMRR I now ride exclusively in back.

Big Thunder isn't really a coaster....more of a fast train. Especially if you sit towards the front, it isn't even particularly fast. I would say it is a good first choice of the options at WDW. Barnstormer is worse than Big Thunder I think because it is so rough.

I agree with the others, I am kind of a wimp and I love Big Thunder. I've ridden the rock and roll coaster and the initial launch is too much for me. Space Mountain is too herky jerk. I actually like Everest, it's a smooth ride.

My DH is super anti-coaster yet after viewing BTMRR from the outside a few rounds he got on then again & again lol It is a great "coaster" first choice ;) Have Fun!!

As far as you have not motion-sickness issues, I would not start out with RnR or Expedition Everest.

After that you will only have two possibilites:

1. DO IT AGAIN! :thumbsup2
or
2. you will decide not to get on any rollercoaster again

BTMRR is a real rollercoaster, yes, but it is rather mild than wild - but fun anyway. Don't be afraid of any safety concerns - there is almost nothing that can happen.

RnR kicks a** ! TRY IT - you will like it!

Leave your eyes open, otherwise your brain may not be able to follow the movements and you may get motion sickness (not just on RnR)

I generally don't ride coasters; I hate the feeling of dropping straight down. In my view BTMRR is the perfect roller coaster, fun without being scary. Love it!

For Big Thunder and it being your first time, I would recommend sitting near the front. I would not imagine you would have a problem with heights on this ride, but sitting towards the back, it can tend to feel being whipped around a little bit,... and I would imagine you will be nervous. ;)

tehe.. like someone suggested, you could do barnstormer... it'll be the fastest 1 minute ride ever. Big thunder is 3 min 25 sec, barnstormer is 1 min 3 sec, in comparison. If a 4 year old can do Barnstormer, so can YOU!!!:) Good luck!

Ok so I have never ever been on a roller coaster in my life. Hate heights, don't like being scared on purpose and get freaked thinking about going upside down. I don't have motion sickness problems so that isn't a issue. I rode Star Tours 3 times for my first visit and I have done Soarin.

So for my second visit to WDW I was thinking about just going for it and doing Big Thunder. I looked on Youtube and it looks ok but looking online and really doing it is a whole other thing. I don't want to do the other coasters and you couldn't pay me enough to do ToT! :faint:

But what do you guys think of using Big Thunder as a first time coaster? Also keep in mind it will be a solo trip for me, so no one to latch on to if I get scared (dirtyword). :scared:

I would say YES! Go! I also don't do rollercoasters and "don't like being scared on purpose" (funny, I've always put it that way too) but I really like BTMRR! I ride it at least once each trip to wdw. It's just thrilling enough but doesn't cross over to "scarey" for me! Honestly, Splash Mt. is waaay more of a challenge for me (that last drop is tough for me) and not sure if I'll even do SM this trip, but I WILL do BTMRR!!! and it looks like the Mine Train will be on the same level so I am planning on riding that as well (we go in Sept)

If you wanted to work up to it, you could ride Barnstormer, as it is smaller than BTM, but I am thinking that you would be good starting at the mountain.

I was thinking the same thing. OP, if you have never been on a roller coaster then I say "baby steps". Go on Barnstormer first, however, like the PP said I think that BTMRR would be an excellent choice to start you off with. The theme in that ride is awesome, and know that it may look intimidating when you see it go, but as you are riding it, you will find that it really isn't all that intimidating after all. Also a good heads up, I would make sure you ask to be seated more towards the front of the train because it goes a bit slower down the hills then if you were to ride in the back. Our family loves to ask for the last two seats because it feels like you are flying down the hills. Good luck, and make sure you post your experience after your trip :goodvibes.

Big Thunder isn't really a coaster....more of a fast train. Especially if you sit towards the front, it isn't even particularly fast. I would say it is a good first choice of the options at WDW. Barnstormer is worse than Big Thunder I think because it is so rough.

Totally agree.

I am coaster-phobic, but have been on both coasters listed above. Barnstormer I hated.....but BTMRR I happily rode more than once.

I hate roller coasters in general, but I like BTMRR. I think it would be a great one to try. :goodvibes

Thanks you guys for the advice. Since my trip isn't till Sept. I have plenty of time to figure out what to do. And if I do go, I will let you know how it went. :thumbsup2

It sounds like you and I have a LOT in common when it comes to roller coasters. I hate heights, hate being scared, etc. I'm 43 years old and have yet to ride Space Mountain or Splash Mountain. I have no desire whatsoever for either of those rides. Seriously, I'm perfectly content with Pirates, Peter Pan, CoP, Philharmagic, etc. I have NO desire for "thrill" when it comes to rides.

A few years ago my daughter talked me into trying Big Thunder...she was just as scared as me, but we faced it together. Guess which ride we now LOVE? Yes, Big Thunder! I say give it a try, it's actually a lot of fun. Just be warned, the last seat is more intense than seats closer to the front, so something to keep in mind.

Along those lines, I have "issues" with haunted houses, won't step foot in another one for the rest of my life - a (what I considered) traumatic experience as a kid has scarred me for life LOL. I faced my fears and tried out HM several years ago and again, it's now one of my favorite rides, although nothing will change my opinion of real haunted houses.

Now, each trip DD16 and I try something we were too chicken to ride on previous trips. Last year we faced our fears and tried Expedition Everest - apparently I screamed most of the ride according to DD16. While I'm happy to have faced that fear - it's something I said I would NEVER try and I was sure proud of myself afterwards, I sure didn't jump in line to ride it a second time. It was too intense for me and I'm perfectly fine never to ride it again. I will stick with BTMRR from now on!

Just want to chime in on the heights, I don't like heights, I freak out climbing a ladder, get wicked vertigo at windows in tall buildings, etc. But rollercoasters are a different animal, I LOVE them. For me the scared of heights sensation isn't really an issue on coasters once I'm ON them. (And I've done Kingda Ka at Great Adventure, which is the worlds tallest coaster! )

You might get on and find that the scared of heights part of the issue is no issue at all...even if it still seems scary from the ground :thumbsup2

I also hate coasters in general but love BTMRR and Space Mountain and quite like EE. I actually find Space to be milder than BTMRR, it's less jerky.

For BTMRR and EE, if you ask to sit near the front, the drops aren't as fast (because you're waiting for the back of the train to get over the peak before you can go really fast). So you get the burst of speed partway down the slope and back up, instead of all the way down (which is what you get if you sit in the back).

Barnstormer is short, but has almost no theming. Meaning you can see the entire track. It is a baby coaster though; large toddlers can ride it.

BTMRR is slightly more or a real ride, though also quite tame. It does have a few hills, but no big, spill your guts drops. The front is by far the most tame. One advantage of BTMRR is that all the theming will distract you from any fear. The worst part, IMO, of this ride is the very final braking motion. As you pull into the station, rather slowly, there is a hard breaking motion. It won't turn your tummy, it just pushes you around a little. Watch before you load, and remember to brace yourself for it a bit.

Both Space Mtn, and RnRC have the advantage, IMO, or being in the dark. The strongest part of EE is also in the dark. That kind of makes them tame in my mind. You just feel the sensation, but don't get a full idea of heights or drops. Space Mtn, is a bit herky jerky, so folks who have any kind of back or nexk pain feel that jerky motion. RnRC is only 90 seconds long!

On any of them, you could go through the queue and exit via the chicken exit.

Other things that help are remembering to breathe, and yell.

Another great ride you should strongly consider is Test Track - if you have never been. It has no drops at all- it just goes fast-ish. I mean, it's basically highway speed, just a little banked. Still, going on TT first will acclimate you.

Indeed, it will probably help you to go on BTMRR AFTER going on any other motion rides you like: maybe the teacups?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter