• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My First Haircut - Well, not mine, but...

Mean Queen

<font color=blue><marquee> If only life were like
This isn't going to be a huge trip report, because we didn't take a huge trip. We drove up to the MK for the day this past Saturday. My almost 2 year old was in desperate need of a haircut and I was desperate for her first cut to be at the MK. We sadly got a late start and didn't get to the park until almost 11 a.m.. The monorail was packed, the ferry was packed, and since we didn't plan ahead, we learned it was a P&PP day and the park would be closing early. That didn't deter me from our trip to the Main Street Barber shop.

When we finally got into the park, I stood a minute to take in all of Main Street before heading over to the barber shop. After recent posts about people wondering if Florida residents start to lose the magic when going to the park, I wanted to make sure that didn't happen to me. The beauty of it still hits me each time I go.

Sadly, the magic was quickly wiped away the minute I saw the long line at the barber shop. My family hadn't eaten lunch yet and they don't do well on empty stomachs. But again, nothing was going to deter me from my mission. While waiting in line, we watched the "Dapper Dans" barbershop quartet perform for the people getting cuts. There were a lot of grown men getting a quick cut at Disney, a toddler ready for a cut, and a few little girls getting up do's complete with paint and pixie dust. My older one asked if she could do that, I told her not today. After an hour and a half wait, it was finally our turn. I actually enjoyed the wait, the rest of the family, not so much. I chatted with the CM's cutting hair and learned some very cool info. She said they have a whole staff of hair and makeup people but only a few work in the barber shop. The rest help with the shows and as one of the CM's put it "anything with hair that's not a horse." She said they have to touch up the hair on all of the animatronics! I never realized a beauty team took care of beautifying the exhibits. :cutie:

Now back to my little ones first haircut, here's her before pic:
March2008001.jpg

She wasn't crying because of the cut, she wanted to run around the ferry and we wouldn't let her. But you can see her hair was a bit long in front and out of control.

When the child first sits down, the CM covers them with stickers. Here's a video:

As you can see, it helped calm her down and distract her from what was going on. Next, the CM wet her hair down by spraying her hand with water and wiping it gently through the childs hair. Then it's time for the cut:

The CM's are so fast and gentle with the kids. I didn't see any of the kids crying while getting their haircut like I do at salons, even kid salons. Now here's what made it truly magical. Once the cut is done, the CM gives the child a pair of ears that says "First Haircut."
March2008012.jpg

March2008013.jpg

They also give you the hair clippings mixed with some mickey glitter, a signed certificate of bravery, and the receipt that says "first haircut" for your scrapbook. This is all for the same price as a child cut, $14. To me, it was totally priceless. My little one loved her ears so much, she refused to let me take them off even when she was too pooped to do anything else.

March2008024.jpg

If anyone else is considering doing the first haircut, make the time in your vacation. It was so worth it. It's much more magical, though just as memorable, as my older daughters first haircut that I did myself. :rolleyes1

Awww what a cutie she is. Looks like she went a little sticker crazy in that last picture! :goodvibes

Awww what a cutie she is. Looks like she went a little sticker crazy in that last picture! :goodvibes

The CM's cover them with a huge strip of stickers to keep them busy, then they give them another strip when they are done. We were all covered in stickers by the end of the trip. :lmao:

How cute! I didn't know they did all that. :goodvibes So, if my DD, whose 8, hasn't ever had an official cut (other than my trimming her hair) would that count as her first haircut? :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter