• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My first attempt at a TR - Epic Failure - Take 2 - Updated 10/5

mom24mouseketeers

Earning My Ears
Ok, so life happens - literally - and it happened to have a lot going on... Being that I was in the military - and then got out of the military (end of enlistment) and medical things and VA... blah blah blah.... I ended up never finishing my trip report I started in July 2011.

Here is a link to the original TR from way back then....you will definitely want to read it first!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2752867

Oh, and I forgot my log-in, and password, changed emails and yeah - so new log-in (similar username) and here we are!

I'll start with links and move on to day 2!

(Thanks for reading a year + later! :bitelip:)

Intros
Day 1 - MK "Mom How do all these people know you"
Day 2 - HS - The Big Hat
Day 3 - AK part 1
Day 3 - AK part 2 - The Big Tree

DTD and Planet Hollywood - I drank WHAT?!?!?!
Day 4 - Epcot - The Big Golfball and "mine, mine, mine..."

Ok, so admittedly Hollywood Studios is our least favorite park as a whole - funny how that is, yet some of our favorite rides are at DHS!

But we were super excited to go to DHS on this trip because we were getting to ride the Toy Story Midway Mania ride for the very first time! DD Heidi is a Toy Story fanatic!

Armed with our front of the line passes - thanks to a mother with replaced hips, and a DD with a broken arm (see original TR for deets), we went straight to TSMM. This in and of itself is a feat for me, as my inner self was screaming "we can't do the park out of order!!!!!" Luckily for my inner self - the Streetmosphere performers were just starting on Hollywood Boulevard and that halted our jaunt across the park!

We laughed and enjoyed the performers so much - they interacted with my teen sons and my daughters alike - it was nice to watch as it included everyone! Of course my DH was more interested in the cars they had than anything!

We had our photos taken in front of the "big hat" as the girls called it!

Photo0041FourBySix.jpg

We continued on our way toward Toy Story (yes, skipping many things completely out of order) only to discover the line was out the door and down the street.... Even for those with disability passes! And the fast passes were already out for the day! Wow! We decided to go to the backlot tour and do that since that was one of our favorites. As luck would have it... or unlucky luck would have it... it started to rain, and I mean rain! Break out the ponchos! We stood under cover by the backlot tour for quite some time waiting on the rain to somewhat slow down to a tolerable drizzle. The backlot tour kept operating in the rain so we jumped in line and waited it out.

Our next stop was Muppet Vision 3D (because it was inside!) and of course everyone loved it! My daughters wanted to do it again and again, but DH's tummy was growling and I was getting "the look!" You know the one that men get in Disney World that says "look I know you have our entire day planned and everything, but you have to include feeding me!" look...

We stopped off at Pizza Planet, where everyone was waiting on the now drizzle to stop, and it was packed. But we managed to get a table, and the food was actually really good! We used our QS meal on our Disney Dining plan, and then headed finally to Toy Story Midway Mania! This time the line was much shorter, and we were able to get right on with a minimal wait. It was worth it any wait honestly!

We did the Great Movie Ride, and the Voyage of the Little Mermaid... my daughters were in awe of being "under the sea!" I wanted to do the Magic of Disney Animation, but I had two teen boys that were giving me their own looks! You know the one that says "mom, if you don't let us do a big kid ride we are going to die!" We headed over toward Star Tours because my sons were begging to do it, plus we had dinner res's at Hollywood and Vine. We figured by the time we finished the Star Tours we would eat dinner and head to the Sunset Boulevard area of DHS.

Photo0045FourBySix.jpg

Dinner at Hollywood and Vine was ok, not really anything to write home about, but it wasn't terrible either. I think next time we would like to try either '50s Prime Time cafe or even the Sci-Fi Dine In... but like I said it was ok. At least the rain stopped while we ate dinner!

At this point Nana had had about enough of the park and needed to get some rest, she headed toward the buses and the boys were finally excited to get to the rides they were dying to ride.

First Stop - Tower of Terror!

And boy was it a ride! We love this ride, well almost all of us love the ride....
Little DD Amanda was NOT happy when we got off this ride. Literally as soon as the dropping stopped she was crying out "get me out of here." She is usually the fearless one - but not this time! Everyone in our elevator car did the "awwwww poor baby" for her, I comforted her as best I could until we could get off. Once off she jumped in her brother Nick's arms and that was it, she wasn't letting go!

She was quite grateful she wasn't tall enough for the Rock n' Roller Coaster, so child swapping it was! Which wasn't so bad, since the crowds were minimal due to the rain earlier in the day. My two boys and DD Heidi rode it 4 times each as DH and I swapped a few times. This partially made up for all the "boring" things the boys endured earlier in the day. Although don't let their "boring" comments fool you they were laughing and enjoying Muppet Vision 3D and Toy Story Midway Mania with the rest of us!

At this point we headed to Fantasmic to be seated... We got there about 40 min. before the show started, which allowed for pretty decent seats in the theatre. It started to lightly drizzle again, so the ponchos were back on. With it being so late, we decided to have a snack (popcorn and icecream) and the girls used some of their money to buy light up mickey ears. The boys rode Tower of Terror another time (or two) while we waited, and then joined us a the last moment before the show started. I have to say Fantasmic is my absolute favorite of the nighttime Disney shows!

All in all, despite rain, a few long lines, and some closed attractions we had a great day! Time for one last picture on the way out, and we are heading to our room to sleep!

Photo0050FourBySix.jpg

Next year we hope to catch Indiana Jones and Lights, Motors, Action! as well as the Pixar Parade (hopefully there isn't as much rain in April 2013!)

Next Up.... Animal Kingdom!

On Day 3 it was an early riser morning as we had ADRs at Chef Mickeys for breakfast at 8am! (That was 0800 on our itinerary!)

This was all of our FIRST ever Chef Mickeys experience, and we LOVED it! The food was good - and we loved that it was a breakfast buffet especially with two teen boys - but the character experience was worth it all!

SANY3689.jpg

SANY3699.jpg

The funniest moment was when DS Cody stood up next to Goofy, he about fell over because he wasn't expecting Cody to be so tall! He raised and lowered his hand a few times to signal that Cody should be shorter! It was very cute!

SANY3680.jpg

After Chef Mickeys it was off to Animal Kingdom!!!!

We arrived right at opening and were one of the first people through the gates! We headed right for the Tree of Life to watch it's Tough to Be a Bug! I personally HATE spiders so when the spiders came out I closed my eyes and kept them that way until my DH told me it was safe to look again! Thank goodness I knew this would come in the show and was prepared for it! My children made fun of me for hours for being such a wimp! I hate spiders - even fake ones! We loved our "bug eyes" and took cute pictures of the girls wearing theirs!

SANY3709.jpg

SANY3707.jpg

SANY3706.jpg

We left the tree of life and headed for Dinoland USA! Primeval Whirl was closed so we enjoyed other things like TriceraTop Spin, and Dinosaur. Again I closed my eyes on Dinosaur and the theme of the day was born "make fun of mom" day.

We headed to Finding Nemo the Musical and had about an hour before the next showing - so we decided to eat lunch at Restaurantosaurus. After our lunch we had missed the next showing of Nemo, but a parade was beginning so we got the best seats we could and settled in for the Jammin' Jungle Parade!

We took a stroll over to Expedition Everest for the teens and as luck would have it we practically walked right on (guess the parade helped!) As we came off the ride the bottom fell out of the skies and it began to pour down rain. And guess what we didn't bring with us - you guessed it - no ponchos!

We waited out the rain in the shops around Expedition Everest, once it slowed a bit we decided what the heck we will just get wet by the rain and skip Kali River Rapids. We walked over to the Kilimanjaro Safaris and loved all the animals we saw. We let the girls take the pictures of the animals... or rather the trees, landscape, and some really blurry things we aren't sure if they are animals or not! Needless to say very few of the pictures turned out of the animals, but it was a fun ride anyway!

We headed back to the tree of life for a few photo ops!

Photo0060FourBySix.jpg

Hi, I've read both your reports and would like to start by saying thank you for your service to our country!! I know the sacrifices that not only our service people, but their families make every day!!

Your family is beautiful!! Your girls are adorable and your sons are handsome! How awesome that you all got to have such a marvelous vacation!! Owning DVC will be the opportunity to take many more and create so many more happy family memories!!

Your days in the parks seem so flawless!! You did some awesome planning!! Looking forward to more of your adventures!!

Hi, I've read both your reports and would like to start by saying thank you for your service to our country!! I know the sacrifices that not only our service people, but their families make every day!!

Your family is beautiful!! Your girls are adorable and your sons are handsome! How awesome that you all got to have such a marvelous vacation!! Owning DVC will be the opportunity to take many more and create so many more happy family memories!!

Your days in the parks seem so flawless!! You did some awesome planning!! Looking forward to more of your adventures!!

Thank you very much for your kind words! :)

I just wanted to tell you my dd has that same chip and dale shirt :thumbsup2

Interested to see if you went to Garden Grill. Dd loves wearing her chip and dale shirt there. She has worn it there two years in a row. I have never seen anyone else with it at home or at wdw.

Too funny about your dd and tot. My DS will ride it, but he doesn't like it and usually has his eyes closed in the ride photo lol.

I can't wait to see how everyone knows you, but I might have an idea : )

I just wanted to tell you my dd has that same chip and dale shirt :thumbsup2

Interested to see if you went to Garden Grill. Dd loves wearing her chip and dale shirt there. She has worn it there two years in a row. I have never seen anyone else with it at home or at wdw.

Too funny about your dd and tot. My DS will ride it, but he doesn't like it and usually has his eyes closed in the ride photo lol.

I can't wait to see how everyone knows you, but I might have an idea : )

That is one of my DD's fav shirts no matter where we are! She has a matching hairbow that she has to wear with it!

Actually our Epcot day is coming up! :)

How everyone knows me is in the first posting (see link in the post) that I started in July 2011 - prior to military commitments and enlistments ending - but here it is for you to see...

"We were in the MK by 10am and I was wearing my "Happy Birthday" button that had my name on it. The resort included it in my check-in package the night before and I proudly wore it all day. However, the funniest quote of the entire trip happened about 10 minutes into the Magic Kingdom. The morning parade was just finishing when we walked in and there were tons of CM's around the main street square, I had been told "Happy Birthday" about 20 times at this point. My DD Heidi looks up to me and says "Mom, how do all these people know you, and know it's your birthday?" We all laughed and I pointed at my button. She was so cute she turned red and said "oh!"

Photo0019FourBySix.jpg

After our photo op in front of the "big tree" (are you seeing the theme with my kids "big tree", "big hat"....) we head toward Camp Minnie-Mickey! Of course it wouldn't be an easy jaunt there - as once again the rain starts! Only this time in actual sheets of rain!

Here are some photos of us with the characters... notice how wet we are! lol

Photo0085FourBySix.jpg

Photo0088FourBySix.jpg

Amanda explained to Goofy how she broke her arm, and that he signed her cast that morning at Chef Mickey's! It was so cute!

Photo0095FourBySix.jpg

Photo0106FourBySix.jpg

After CMM it was off to catch the last showing of The Festival of the Lion King, one of our fam favs! Our DDs had never seen it and they literally sat on the edge of their seats! Awesome as always!

SANY3722.jpg

It finally stopped raining while we were in LK which made the trek to the busses dry and without incident! :)

Ok embarassing pic time... way back in Dino Land we stopped and did the chicken dance with the CMs. Nana snapped a photo for posterity... or maybe just to capture my shaking derriere.... either way it was for the kids and we had fun!

SANY3710.jpg

Next up... DTD and Planet Hollywood!

So yeah this one will be kinda boring (meaning no pics)!

After AK we were dripping wet, and quite hungry! Since we had used our ADR for Chef Mickeys for the day - we decided to go to DTD and eat at Planet Hollywood. Not for any other reason than my daughters wanted "the free gift!" You know the $2 keychain that you get for free after you spend $60+ on the meal!

Anyway, because we had 2 rooms, we had 2 coupons. DH's mom was driving in from NC to join us for the last half of the trip - my DM (aka Nana) came the first half of the trip. (you know we had to figure out a way for both grandmothers to experience the girls' first Disney trip!) And actually neither of our mothers had every really "hung out" so it was going to be fun - or not......

We go back to our hotel - which in case I haven't mentioned before was the Caribbean Beach Resort - oh and we loved it.... oooo wait I may have a CBR pic!!

Ok.... maybe not - but I borrowed this from the internet.. We were in Bldg 16 in Barbados.

wdw_caribbean_beach_full_zps26b09e4c.jpg

ok, so showered, changed and dry we head out to meet DMIL at the Planet. It was raining again - this time with umbrellas in hand and closer parking we manage to not get wet!

Dinner was ok, but after the day we had had (it was stressful avoiding rain and listening to children complain about being soaked) DH and I decided to have a drink to relax. And folks - now you know why there are no photos!!!!! I am not a drinker so just one drink - especially a very tall very strong Malibu Bay Breeze and I am giggling like a young girl who gets a pony for her birthday!

DM joined in and had a few wines - let just say it was a lot of laughing and teen boys making fun of the adults being silly! But the atmosphere provided much of it - however I will say it was WAY too loud there we could barely talk we had to yell across the table! Food was - well it was Planet Hollywood... enough said.

Everyone fed, little girls getting very very sleepy, and it was time to call it a night - no wandering around DTD in the rain for us...

Next up... EPCOT!!! "Mine, Mine, Mine..."

Apparently we have similar taste! My dd had the Minnie outfit in the 2011 photo, too. :rotfl2: It is too small now and the chip and dale one will be by next summer. If you have a Kmart the have some chip and dale shirts there and they were on sale. I got her a new one for next year.

We love the lion king show, with DS loving it the most! We are planning a trip with my parents and I am worried that it is possibly closing :sad1:

Don't worry, I'm a giggly girl after one drink, too. I had to have dh drink the rest of my second one at Ohana. :rolleyes1

What a cute idea to have the characters sign her cast!

Can't wait to hear about your Epcot day :)

Apparently we have similar taste! My dd had the Minnie outfit in the 2011 photo, too. :rotfl2: It is too small now and the chip and dale one will be by next summer. If you have a Kmart the have some chip and dale shirts there and they were on sale. I got her a new one for next year.

We love the lion king show, with DS loving it the most! We are planning a trip with my parents and I am worried that it is possibly closing :sad1:

Don't worry, I'm a giggly girl after one drink, too. I had to have dh drink the rest of my second one at Ohana. :rolleyes1

What a cute idea to have the characters sign her cast!

Can't wait to hear about your Epcot day :)

LOL that's funny that we have similar tastes in outfits! I love that minnie outfit - actually she picked it out! I picked the chip and dale - but she picked the Minnie outfit! I actually took pictures of all the outfits as I packed them and sent them to my mother so she could match her outfits to us! I am such a dork when it comes to Disney sometimes - I matched everyone as best I could - notice on day one we all basically wore black & white and red...

I will be so sad if they close Lion King - like seriously sad.... :sad:

My daughter was able to get almost every character to sign her cast - they were all very sweet about it! When we went to get the cast removed - the Ortho doc said it was the coolest cast he had ever seen in all of his 21 years as an ortho doc. He made sure they cut it so we could preserve most of the signatures - we still have the cast! (probably weird though! lol)

I'll post epcot soon - I am rushing through it since I took so long to finish it...

Day 4 of our trip started with a typical family with kids breakfast - poptarts and caprisuns in our room! (not the most elegant of meals but tides the littlest of tummies over until lunch at least!) And today our lunch was SPECIAL!

After our cheap breakfast, we headed to the busstop to grab a bus to Epcot! We were meeting DMIL and her husband at the park! We met up right in front of the "big golf ball" as the girls call it (in keeping with our theme)!

We all headed to Spaceship Earth and made it the first ride of the day. I hadn't ridden SE in years, so it was nice to refresh my memory, all the kids loved the interactive things at the end... Somehow we didn't stop and do family pics in front of the "big golf ball" we completely passed all photopass CMs. Not sure why, guess the excitement of the day got the best of us.

epcot-living-seas-disney-pic-005_zps18a3a740.jpg
(borrowed from the internet)

We headed over to the Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, hopped in our clams and enjoyed the new ride (well new to us)! We loved it! Nemo is one of our fav movies!!! We walked through the aquarium part and noticed that Turtle Talk with Crush was about to start! We had watched videos online of this attraction and couldn't wait to go experience it. The little ones sat up front and all the big kids sat on the rows...

Our DH Heidi was picked as one of the little ones to ask a question... Her question was "What is it like on the ocean floor?" Crush's response..."well little dudette, it's a little..... sandy...." (insert audience laugh here!)

How awesome that was - it is now a family favorite! As we headed out of Living Seas there were these white little seagulls, just like the ones in the movie, and as people would walk by they would start with "mine, mine, mine..." My teen boys thought this was the funniest thing they had ever seen! This is important as it comes into play later in our day!

We walked over to the Imagination Pavillion and saw Imagination with Figment - the girls loved it of course - the boys were like eh... We played on all the interactive instruments as we headed to the exit, all the kids loved being silly. I swear the teen boys turned into little kids for about 10 minutes.

figment_zps16d51a00.jpg
(borrowed from the internet)

While we were in the Imagination Pavilion it started to rain, so when we came out we came out with ponchos on. Since it was raining we decided to go into Captain EO to evade the rain and revisit an old attraction we hadn't seen in years.

After Captain EO, it was drizzling and we were getting close to our BIG SURPRISE for the girls....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter