• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Fantasy Experience vs. CCL

Amy that's so strange, when I checked our bill we seemed to only get charged when Jake was in the nursery, not the times we had scheduled. Most of the time we'd only get charged in half hour increments, and we didn't even get a penalty when he was tired and sick and his appointment was due under the 4 hour cutoff.

I have to say I was underwhelmed by our wait staff compared to our last Disney cruise.....BUT....that was on the wonder 2 years ago, well before the hiring blitz to get the new ships up and running....so personally I cut them some slack; heck I wasn't cooking :rotfl: I did notice I wasn't as wowed with the food as the menus last time.

Even longer but I do finally wrap it up! LOL

Dining Experience: We loved visiting the different dining rooms and of course the show in Animator's Palate was fantastic. The first AP night (formal) DD got to interact with Crush and that was really cool. Not all around us got to do that. It all comes down to the details such as everyone's uniforms matching the theme, the plates and silverware matching the theme and the gorgeous (EG, RC) and interesting (AP) decor of the dining rooms. We were in AP on formal night and it did feel as if we were a little overdressed for the venue. The dining rooms seemed crowded and very loud! It was hard to talk to each other across the table and as I mentioned I felt like we were on top of the other family particularly in RC when we were at two tables that should've been together.

Not counting the service, I really just can't decide on this one. The shows and details were fun but the crowded and loud experience took away from it. I also really like Anytime Dining on CCL. I never feel panicked or rushed to get to dinner and we just go at our leisure. We found we ended up eating at generally the same time but it was just that feeling of less pressure to get somewhere on schedule. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a table. I would say the later you try to go the busier the dining room and the longer you're going to have to wait. We usually ate between 6-6:30 and never had a problem. This one is a tie.

Stateroom/Stateroom Host: We were VGT and assigned a 5A-#10534 about 12 days out. The anticipation of waiting on our room was sort of fun. As for the room, I found it to be too small and just a tad noisy. There was some scraping (of chairs?) early in the morning. Our biggest issue was the fact we couldn't get our stroller past the bed which was inconvenient because it either had to be folded down or sit in the stateroom hall and be moved 25 times as we tried to get in and out of the bathrooms/closets. Our stroller is just a Maclaren that is built for travel so I can't imagine those I saw that who had travel systems did with theirs!

The balcony/verandah rooms are bigger on CCL. I believe the extra square footage in the DCL cabin is taken with the split bathroom and honestly can find no extra value in this. Maybe someone can help me out with this because you still have to do your hair/makeup in front of the vanity so unless someone needs to use the restroom while someone else is showering I just can't see what's so great about it. Maybe if I had two older children that needed to change at the exact same time it might come in handy. I did like having the tub to bathe DS. The Fantasy verandah was wider than what we experienced on the Freedom last year and I liked that. I felt all four of us could comfortably be out there on the Fantasy. Room is a tie due to the smaller size room on DCL but wider verandah.

Our stateroom host was efficient and very nice. Most of our requests were met quickly and easily but we had two small situations that I felt could've been handled differently given the expectation for the level of service. We decided the first night we wanted to have our formal wear pressed so we got the form out and filled it out. Not really great instructions given on what to do to make sure it was picked up. We checked the book and I think it told us to call Guest Services. DH called them and was told to leave it on the bed with the form. This was early on embarkation day. I understand lots of other people are trying to do the same thing so I didn't expect it to be picked up right away. I returned to the room to pick something us several hours later and it was still there and Guest Services happened to be calling us. I answered and they asked if was needed for the next day. I answered yes and was told it would be picked up. We came back to the room to get ready for dinner and it still hadn't been picked up. I figured the host would get it when she did her evening routine. We returned from the show and character experiences at about 10pm and it was still there and had been moved from the bed to hang on the wall with the form still attached to the hanger. Not knowing what else to do I used the Wave phone to call the host and she told me she was off duty and to call GS. I told her I was sorry I didn't know that she was off but that we had already talked to GS twice and didn't know what else to do. She said she would take care of it and someone came about 15 minutes later to get it. I don't know what we could've done differently here to make this better.

The other was the last night. I was really disappointed that luggage had to be ready by 10pm. On CCL I believe it is midnight. Between DD and I being almost the last people off CC and getting ready for dinner, I was forced to skip the farewell show to pack. The host showed up at our door at 10:05 and asked if I had luggage ready. I was just getting ready to take it out and I appreciated her checking before assuming we wanted to do express which would be horrible for us! I asked for an extra luggage tag and was told it was too late to get one. I told her ok, we would just carry the bag off. She took our luggage and went off duty. A short while later I noticed in the closet with the safe the bag with our car seats in it. I did not want to carry this off so I went into the hall and saw another stateroom host and asked if it was too late. She said no and I asked for a luggage tag. She went and got me one in less than a minute. I have a hard time understanding why it was such a big deal to get a luggage tag before.

Did these two experiences ruin our cruise? Not at all. My point though was that the expectation of a much higher level of service than CCL was there from everything I've read and heard. It just didn't happen. Stateroom host service would probably go to CCL since I don't think anyone on CCL would ever tell me they were off duty or that they couldn't get me something.

Experiences: Obviously this goes to DCL since nothing can compare to the character interactions.. Nothing made me happier to see my son running to Mickey (or whoever) and giving the character a big hug and kiss, plop down on their lap for a photo and wave furiously as we walked away. At the Princess Gathering they all kissed him and he had a face full of lipstick kisses. Adorable. DD also had fun interacting with the characters and I have a zillion great photos of all that. I will say DH and I commented that we felt like we were spending a lot of time in line waiting on these experiences. I did meet and get to chat with some really nice people while standing in line. Occasionally we would get really lucky but most wait times were around 15 minutes. Trying to get a photo or see a character between the dinner seating and shows was pretty crazy since both groups were free from their respective activities.

We did BBB on Pirate's Night. We ended up doing the full $99 makeover with the t-shirt and tutu. They allotted 45 minutes but the experience took about 30. DD looked adorable and I was very happy with that. But, just about 15 minutes after we left her bandana kept slipping off her head (it's a silky material) and her face gem tattoo fell off and got lost. We went back down there to ask for some bobby pins for the bandana and a new face tattoo. The bobby pins were not a problem but it seemed the face gem tattoo was. I didn't know she had other face tattoos in her take home bag but was told I should use one of those. She whispered that she didn't think there was another pirate skull and cross bones one so I asked and was told no, there wasn't. Well, could I get one then? Seemed like kind of a big deal to get one. Again, higher level of expectation was there. We did BBB at WDW and were blown away by the service there several years ago.

Pools: They are indeed too small for the amount of people on the ship. Aqua Lab was fun and it didn't seem many knew about it because it was empty a lot. It is sort of awkward as there is no place to stand to keep an eye on your child except a deck above. DD was afraid of Aqua Duck for some reason so I rode alone. It was fun!! Nemo's Reef was fun for DS 1 1/2 and he enjoyed playing there. Due to that experience DCL wins pools even with the space issues. The Aqua Duck and Aqua Lab experiences should be enough to keep kids entertained without needing to "swim" in the pools.

Kids Club: DD8 didn't go wild over the Club and Lab. She probably went for a total of four hours the entire time. She had fun while she was there but was not begging us to go. She said the computers/game systems always seemed to be taken up by the same kids. I will say I liked CCL's approach to the schedule better. They handed out a entire schedule the first day and she went through and found the things she wanted to do so we knew ahead of time. They also gave a quick explanation of each activity and it made deciding easier. I did not like the TV Guide format of the Navigator and not all activities were described. Many of the activities seemed to be scheduled during dinner or the show. One night DD did choose to attend Pluto's Pajama Party instead of the show. She said it was fun.

The care at the It's a Small World Nursery was fine. As mentioned we paid for time we didn't use but that's just their policy and I understand it. The day we did Palo brunch we got a text telling us he was fussy and they were working to calm him. I stepped out of Palo to call and was told they were just informing us and not to worry. I appreciated that.

I tie the clubs since DD didn't seem all that engaged this time. Last year on CCL she was begging to go. The clubs on DCL seem to have a lot more potential but if a child isn't into it then it doesn't matter how great it is. I also think the wide range of ages makes it less fun. I can't remember exactly how CCL did it but it seemed to be a smaller group. Maybe 6-8?

Photos: I decided early on I was buying the photo CD so I made a point to get as many pictures we could. It truly is a great deal to do the add on prints for another $50. We had 265 pictures on our two CD's and all those prints! I am putting a photo book together and will treasure the pictures and memories forever.

I cannot stress enough how much I love, love, love the way they do photos on the Fantasy. Going to your folder and seeing all your photos there was awesome. Didn't have to spend time searching for our faces in the sea of others. Photo experience to DCL hands down.

Castaway Key: What can I say? It is awesome. I have surprisingly never been to CCL's private island but have been to NCL's so can only compare to that. CC blows it away. Seems like we only did a portion of things we could've done there but still had a great time. It got very overcast after lunch and many left leaving the beaches a little less crowded. By 3pm we practically had the beach to ourselves and it was great. DD and I were some of the last to leave at 4.

Ok, so overall we had a fabulous time. Not one of the problems mentioned ruined our cruise. Will we be back? Probably. We didn't re-book on board though. I kept waiting to be blown away by something and I wasn't. I wanted to be swept up by it all and say, we can only cruise DCL now! It just didn't happen for us. I was also searching for the value for the extra cost and I am just not sure it is there for our family. We don't really drink soda so that's no benefit to us. The shows were great but we've seen some awesome shows on CCL including a Beatles one last year. I did not like Believe at all. The baby was fussing so I gladly left.

We cruise for itinerary rather than ship which is why we will probably return to CCL (we have a deposit we have to use for next year) and maybe even try RCCL. We will hopefully fit a DCL in there within the next few years but they have to offer a better itinerary. They do not sail anywhere from the East Coast that I haven't been now. Boo! I would be interested in a CC Double Dip but see they are not offering them in 2013. Hopefully they will reconsider for the coming years.

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask more questions :)

The balcony/verandah rooms are bigger on CCL. I believe the extra square footage in the DCL cabin is taken with the split bathroom and honestly can find no extra value in this. Maybe someone can help me out with this because you still have to do your hair/makeup in front of the vanity so unless someone needs to use the restroom while someone else is showering I just can't see what's so great about it. Maybe if I had two older children that needed to change at the exact same time it might come in handy. I did like having the tub to bathe DS. The Fantasy verandah was wider than what we experienced on the Freedom last year and I liked that. I felt all four of us could comfortably be out there on the Fantasy. Room is a tie due to the smaller size room on DCL but wider verandah.

I'm with you about the split baths on DCL! I didn't like using the toilet in one room and then moving to the other room to take a shower. If both rooms had a toilet - I could see the value.

What I've heard from other sites and reviews is that you can't even really compare a Carnival 3-night to a Carnival 7-night, much less DCL. The longer Carnival cruises are supposedly much more family-friendly than the 3 and 4-nighters.

I totally agree with that! The shorter ones do tend to cater to college kids, spring breakers, bachelor/ette parties, girls trips, guys trips, etc.

I'm with you about the split baths on DCL! I didn't like using the toilet in one room and then moving to the other room to take a shower. If both rooms had a toilet - I could see the value.

Our family absolutely LOVES the split bath. Having four girls in one room, this has always worked to our advantage.

To the op: Thank you for the review, I enjoyed reading it. I am shocked however by the review. We have said 4 CCL, and twice on Disney our third will be next week on Fantasy. We promised ourselves after the last CCL we would NEVER step foot on another ship of CCL again. We didn't enjoy ourselves, the food was awful, service was awful and the activities we didn't enjoy at all.
DCL we have never found anything bad to say. It's funny how people have such different view on sailing. Hope you still had a great cruise!! :good vibes

Amy that's so strange, when I checked our bill we seemed to only get charged when Jake was in the nursery, not the times we had scheduled. Most of the time we'd only get charged in half hour increments, and we didn't even get a penalty when he was tired and sick and his appointment was due under the 4 hour cutoff.

I have to say I was underwhelmed by our wait staff compared to our last Disney cruise.....BUT....that was on the wonder 2 years ago, well before the hiring blitz to get the new ships up and running....so personally I cut them some slack; heck I wasn't cooking :rotfl: I did notice I wasn't as wowed with the food as the menus last time.

Hmm Jason, I may have to call in about that one then because I know we were charged for the time we weren't there. We were also charged the night he was feverish and I cancelled his time.

Can I ask you something about the dining staff? If you had the same experience on CCL or any other line would you just write that line off? I ask because I think for many people, and I don't want to put words in others' mouths, but just because it's Disney and supposed to be a superior product it's excusable. That's just my take. :confused3

Thank you Nancy! This is what I thought too.:thumbsup2

Our family absolutely LOVES the split bath. Having four girls in one room, this has always worked to our advantage.

To the op: Thank you for the review, I enjoyed reading it. I am shocked however by the review. We have said 4 CCL, and twice on Disney our third will be next week on Fantasy. We promised ourselves after the last CCL we would NEVER step foot on another ship of CCL again. We didn't enjoy ourselves, the food was awful, service was awful and the activities we didn't enjoy at all.
DCL we have never found anything bad to say. It's funny how people have such different view on sailing. Hope you still had a great cruise!! :good vibes

We did have a great time and thanks for your feedback. Would you have felt the same way I did about the situations? It sounds like a similar situation happened to you on CCL and you wrote them off. I am not ready to write DCL off but I was just expecting more. And as I said before we didn't let any of these things ruin the cruise, I simply wanted to point them out as issues we saw and as a comparison to what we know.

Oh and I have a PSA. People, please be considerate to those with strollers and in wheelchairs at the elevators!! I know everyone wants to get somewhere too but we have no choice but to ride the elevators. I don't know how many times I stood and waited for elevator after elevator while others behind me rushed on leaving no space for a stroller. Thanks to the nice but agressive :) family from New York or New Jersey that muscled me on an elevator after waiting through three with a cranky, tired baby one night. :cool1:

We did have a great time and thanks for your feedback. Would you have felt the same way I did about the situations? It sounds like a similar situation happened to you on CCL and you wrote them off. I am not ready to write DCL off but I was just expecting more. And as I said before we didn't let any of these things ruin the cruise, I simply wanted to point them out as issues we saw and as a comparison to what we know.

Our first cruise I was to young to remember but my family said was not a pleasant experience. They chose to try a second time as hoping it would be better. When this cruise happened to be worse than the first, was when we decided to try Disney. We fell in love.

Again we tried CCL, I am not a picky eater and rarely ate on that cruise, and the kids clubs were just hands down awful.
Again we tried CCL and no go. This trip will be my graduation trip and I chose Disney as my entire family will have a great time.

We have completely written off CCL NOW after the 4 times. DCL still rates number 1 on our list with RCCL as 2.
We will see how our next cruise goes next week. :]

45 min in between courses at dinner??? TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! I might have blown my top. Seriously.

We always skip a course (either the app or the soup/salad course) in order to cut calories. This helps because DD5 *only* orders off of the adult menu, so she doesn't have to sit & wait thru 2 courses until she gets her food. In 6 cruises, only 1 server has managed to bring her entree out with our 1st course, which we love. Anyways, skipping a course saves time as well, but I totally agree with you - 45 min in between & empty drinks? No excuse.

Disclaimer, we were sort of spoiled, as since it was our asst server's 2nd cruise, he only had 2 tables, the 3 of us and a 4-top, so he had TONS of time.

45 min in between courses at dinner??? TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!! I might have blown my top. Seriously.

We always skip a course (either the app or the soup/salad course) in order to cut calories. This helps because DD5 *only* orders off of the adult menu, so she doesn't have to sit & wait thru 2 courses until she gets her food. In 6 cruises, only 1 server has managed to bring her entree out with our 1st course, which we love. Anyways, skipping a course saves time as well, but I totally agree with you - 45 min in between & empty drinks? No excuse.

Disclaimer, we were sort of spoiled, as since it was our asst server's 2nd cruise, he only had 2 tables, the 3 of us and a 4-top, so he had TONS of time.

Your post made me laugh. I think I just kept waiting on it to get better. The 45 minutes was between when our appetizer/soup/salad course and the main course was delivered, not between each of them. I don't think I was clear about that! I would've blown my top then. Sometimes we skipped one of the two earlier courses, sometimes we didn't but it didn't seem to matter. Our entire section were almost always some of the last to leave the dining room when they turn the lights up! In retrospect I probably should've spoken to the Head Waiter. I did leave my comments on the comment card.

It sounds like you guys were extremely lucky! Good for you!! :banana:

Oh and I have a PSA. People, please be considerate to those with strollers and in wheelchairs at the elevators!! I know everyone wants to get somewhere too but we have no choice but to ride the elevators. I don't know how many times I stood and waited for elevator after elevator while others behind me rushed on leaving no space for a stroller. Thanks to the nice but agressive :) family from New York or New Jersey that muscled me on an elevator after waiting through three with a cranky, tired baby one night. :cool1:

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Can't tell you the number of times we've gotten on empty elevator going down, tho we were going up, just so DS would fit on it!

See, there is something to be said for us New Yorkers. But I prefer the term assertive to aggressive :lmao:

Thank you for the report. I appreciate all the details, good and not so.

This MDR thing has us spooked. I felt reports were improving regarding MDR's, however reports similiar to this one do still occur. We are no foodies, in fact, we are impatient eaters. Perhaps I need to request specific servers. I'm hoping good company at the table will override any potential slow/poor service. Were ok will poor food, we eat it all the time.:lmao: I will consult with table mates and hopefully we all will agree to ask for speedy service. Would speed vary between first or second seating?

It will be difficult for me to exercise patience waiting for food and beverage knowing I could serve myself quickly up top. I didn't pay a premium to sit and be thirsty.:rotfl:

We will give it a go, trying to dial back expectations, which I feel should be somewhat, on the Dream class ships. We may end up on deck 11, or in cabin for dinner. We're OK with that choice, I just hope it won't be necessary.

It seems obvious to me they have either too many tables, or not enough servers on Dream class.

:goodvibes

Our first cruise I was to young to remember but my family said was not a pleasant experience. They chose to try a second time as hoping it would be better. When this cruise happened to be worse than the first, was when we decided to try Disney. We fell in love.

Again we tried CCL, I am not a picky eater and rarely ate on that cruise, and the kids clubs were just hands down awful.
Again we tried CCL and no go. This trip will be my graduation trip and I chose Disney as my entire family will have a great time.

We have completely written off CCL NOW after the 4 times. DCL still rates number 1 on our list with RCCL as 2.
We will see how our next cruise goes next week. :]

I agree, we have also written off Carnival , after 2 cruises where the drunk partiers were the problem,we just won't go back!

I have questions about the operational problems/ fires, etc Carnival Corporation vessels have had the last few years.

We love DCL.........but enjoy RCL and are looking forward to our The Great Amercian Steamboat Line, *S/B American Queen* river cruise.

AKK

Elevator etiquette is my biggest pet peeve with fellow Disney passengers. There are so many who don't seem to understand that it should be first come first serve and you don't have a separate line for each of the six elevators.

That said, I saw many with strollers cut in front of those who had been waiting longer and vice versa. I tried to use the elevators when possible. It cut down on frustration and burned calories.

Thank you for the report. I appreciate all the details, good and not so.

This MDR thing has us spooked. I felt reports were improving regarding MDR's, however reports similiar to this one do still occur. We are no foodies, in fact, we are impatient eaters. Perhaps I need to request specific servers. I'm hoping good company at the table will override any potential slow/poor service. Were ok will poor food, we eat it all the time.:lmao: I will consult with table mates and hopefully we all will agree to ask for speedy service. Would speed vary between first or second seating?

It will be difficult for me to exercise patience waiting for food and beverage knowing I could serve myself quickly up top. I didn't pay a premium to sit and be thirsty.:rotfl:

We will give it a go, trying to dial back expectations, which I feel should be somewhat, on the Dream class ships. We may end up on deck 11, or in cabin for dinner. We're OK with that choice, I just hope it won't be necessary.

It seems obvious to me they have either too many tables, or not enough servers on Dream class.

:goodvibes

FWIW - our service on the Fantasy earlier this month was excellent. We commented on how it was as good as our favorite serving team on the Magic. The worst service we've experienced was on the Wonder. It's hit or miss no matter what ship you're on IMO. There is also the possibility of a personality clash with your servers. Everyone's idea of good service varies. Some will think fast service is "rushed" and "overbearing". Some don't want to get know their servers on a personal level, but want to be left alone. Overall though, it seems that the majority of those on the Fantasy enjoyed their service teams.

Elevator etiquette is my biggest pet peeve with fellow Disney passengers. There are so many who don't seem to understand that it should be first come first serve and you don't have a separate line for each of the six elevators.

That said, I saw many with strollers cut in front of those who had been waiting longer and vice versa. I tried to use the elevators when possible. It cut down on frustration and burned calories.

I'm pretty sure you tried NOT to use the elevators and used the stairs when possible! I do the same on cruise ships, and managed to not gain weight on two 12-night cruises this spring. I also didn't lose weight - with all of the sweets. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter