My experience with SPH room #5020 with pics

marinecruiser

Earning My Ears
I just came back from my W. Carib sailing on the Magic. Although the weather wasn't ideal at the beginning, (Cloudy, cold, rainy and rockey sea condition) I enjoyed my Disney cruise experience as a family.

I do not want to write a long reports since I am not good at writing, but just wanted to share my thoughts on the SPH cabin I had since I searched all over the board to collect any information I can.

IMG_2079.jpg
IMG_2082.jpg

It is the 3rd door right after the forward elevator. Crew member door is located across the 5022 door, and I never hear any banging noise. It is so easy to navigate anywhere, this is a great location especially for the shows at Theater is right down stairs, kids club is down the hall as well as movie theater. Restaurants are located at aft, but there is usually photo opportunities with characters on our way to make it doesn't feel a long walk.

IMG_2052.jpg
IMG_2053.jpg

Toilet and bath are separated as all the category 10's and ups are, and it was very handy with kids. They played in a bathtub to warm up after playing in swimming pool.

IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2063.jpg

Room is missing a steamer trunk, but it had plenty drawers to put our clothes. Clear over the door hanger was really handy to put small things. Our cabin host, Jonathan, took care of us. I wish I could take him home to help me out in my house!;)

IMG_2056.jpg

I never stayed in any other cabins, so I can't compare. However, I believe SPH rooms portholes are located lower than the usual oceanview cabin. My kids are still small (5 & 3), so it was a perfect sized for them to sit on to look outside.

I know it is a luck of a draw, but we had a neighbor in 5022 that tends to talk loud. I could hear them talking and noises even it's not a connecting cabin. I think it has more to do with a bed and couch shares the same wall.

IMG_2059.jpg
IMG_2065.jpg

Here is the special view of the Wonder from our porthole since she was docked at the port for drydock. It was a great treat!:love:

It was a great cabin that I was so happy that I could get it. I am glad that I kept this cabin and hope I will come back to my "home sweet home" soon again!:cloud9:

nice photos....our stateroom looked exactly the same. we had the steamer trunk though. we were on the same cruise as you, room 2108.. What is a SPH room and how much of the rocking did you feel on Monday night i think it was or Tuesday night..we felt rocking but it was very soothing...

What an awesome room. I remember trying to find it for delivering a FE gift and wondering what type of room it was. Did you feel any motion being so far forward?

Thanks for posting... does anyone know what this is reclassified to in the 2011 systems?

I just LOVE the picture you took of the Wonder. That is a once in a lifetime shot that you won't see again. It is so awesome to be able to see the Wonder from a much different view. Thanks for sharing.

nice photos....our stateroom looked exactly the same. we had the steamer trunk though. we were on the same cruise as you, room 2108.. What is a SPH room and how much of the rocking did you feel on Monday night i think it was or Tuesday night..we felt rocking but it was very soothing...
What an awesome room. I remember trying to find it for delivering a FE gift and wondering what type of room it was. Did you feel any motion being so far forward?

SPH rooms are obstructed ocean view cabin for the inside cabin category on the 5th floor. 5020/5022/5024 on the port side and 5520/5522/5524 on the starboard side. 20s are less obstructed but missing steamer trunk. 22/24 are connecting cabin that has steamer trunk but little more obstructed.

I felt quite a motion and felt seasick on the formal night:(. I couldn't eat my dinner at all at the restaurant. It was my 3rd cruise (1st on Disney) and I never felt seasick before. I stayed in mid and aft ship. Maybe forward tends to feel more motion and sea was rough. After that, I didn't feel anything and it was smoothes sailing!

Thanks for posting... does anyone know what this is reclassified to in the 2011 systems?
It is an old category 10(deluxe inside) and new category 10A from 2011.

I just LOVE the picture you took of the Wonder. That is a once in a lifetime shot that you won't see again. It is so awesome to be able to see the Wonder from a much different view. Thanks for sharing.

It was a great surprise for me to see the Wonder through the porthole. It was just picture perfect!:lovestruc

Great job on the door magnets! That photo of the Wonder through your port hole is fantastic. Since a lot of folks never venture over here to read trip reports, I think you should post that photo on the Picture of the Day thread so more people can see it. Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2203622&page=49

I'll bet that you will get a big reaction to that photo if you post it there.

TCD

Great job on the door magnets! That photo of the Wonder through your port hole is fantastic. Since a lot of folks never venture over here to read trip reports, I think you should post that photo on the Picture of the Day thread so more people can see it. Here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2203622&page=49

I'll bet that you will get a big reaction to that photo if you post it there.

TCD

Thank you TCD. I made a post on the link you provided me now!

I felt quite a motion and felt seasick on the formal night:(. I couldn't eat my dinner at all at the restaurant. It was my 3rd cruise (1st on Disney) and I never felt seasick before. I stayed in mid and aft ship. Maybe forward tends to feel more motion and sea was rough. After that, I didn't feel anything and it was smoothes sailing!

You were not the only one... We were in Palo's that night and 2 people had to leave and they even had the medical patches and still had problems. I definately felt the boat a rockin', but never felt "sick". Sunday Evening to Monday evening was just not a smooth sailing for most on the ship. I know when we went to topsiders for breakfast that morning the CM handing out whips mentioned that she had to stand against the wall or else she would fall down. :laughing:

I think lots of people were feeling it because we got to the Mickey pool about 8am and no one was there.

Our cabin host, Jonathan, took care of us. I wish I could take him home to help me out in my house!

Lucky1 - We love Jonathan! We had him as our host in 2006. A year later, my DD and her DH were on the Magic. DD had a photo of me and DH with their DD on the dresser. Jonathan asked how my DD knew "Janet". Amazing small world story. I keep in touch with him. We were on the 9-19-09 Magic in a sideways cabin on Deck 5. Jonathan was in our hallway assigned to other staterooms, but it was great seeing him every day.

Jan

Thank you so much for the review! This is exactly the room my husband and I will be in for our honeymoon in December!

Forgot to mention, that we've been in SPH staterooms on three cruises. Love them! We are on back-to-back Wonder cruises next November and have a SPH for both cruises.

Jan

Thank you for posting, we just changed our Mexican Riveria cruise room to this room and saved over $400.

Thank you!

Those are the best pictures of the staterooms I've seen. We've had both balcony and inside rooms but never a porthole room. Your pictures gave me a good feel for what it would be like. Thanks for posting.

We just switched to this room for the Thanksgiving sailing of the Magic!
So glad to see just how "obstructed" the view is!
:goodvibes

op, do you recall where your muster station was? After searching often for weeks, I finally found one (5020) for our Aug 2012 NY sailing! :cool1:
just curious. Thanks for all the photos. :goodvibes

I have not heard about this before. Just to be sure I understand...

These are rooms that have a giant porthole window, but are sold as inside cabins? Why is that?

Is this on the Wonder and the Magic?

Thanks for the information. Learn somethin' everyday, huh? :goodvibes

op, do you recall where your muster station was? After searching often for weeks, I finally found one (5020) for our Aug 2012 NY sailing! :cool1:
just curious. Thanks for all the photos. :goodvibes
Curious why the muster station location is important. It is something I have never thought about and wondering why it would be a question to ask. Thanks for your insight. Yay, for finding a room you wanted! :cool1:

- Dreams

I have not heard about this before. Just to be sure I understand...

These are rooms that have a giant porthole window, but are sold as inside cabins? Why is that?

Is this on the Wonder and the Magic?

Thanks for the information. Learn somethin' everyday, huh? :goodvibes

Curious why the muster station location is important. It is something I have never thought about and wondering why it would be a question to ask. Thanks for your insight. Yay, for finding a room you wanted! :cool1:

- Dreams

Exactly. They're on the Magic & Wonder. They are sold as cat 10A because the view is obstructed. Some very obstructed, some not so much. There are only 6 on each ship: 5020, 5022, 5024, 5520, 5522, 5524.

People are just curious about muster station. It's not a deal-breaker at all but it seems like we're always on the side of the ship where the sun is setting low and right in our eyes. As we return our lifejackets to our cabin (not required anymore) we'd see people walk out of Animators Palate. So they got to sit, relaxed in AC. Again, not a big deal but would be nice when choosing cabin to know where muster station is.

Thanks for this report! I'd never heard of a SPH room. We may rebook our dates for next year and save $900. Thanks so much!

We just changed from 10B to 10A 5020 on the Magic for the 2013 12 night med cruise with Venice in June 2013. It was $900 more than a 10B for our family of 2 adults, but I am comfortable with the change.
We have 5024 on the Magic for the NYC to Canada cruise in August 2012 and we have stayed in a SPH room before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter