• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My ecv/scooter experience this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the busses to be a real pain. Some drivers want you to back in, some to pull in.....I always asked, and they acted like I should have known.
One easy hint that works most of the time - if the bus has a ramp, you can drive in frontwards up the ramp.
If there is a lift, you should back onto the lift to get onto the bus and when the ramp is up to bus level, you back off onto the bus.

For getting off, you always drive straight off the bus.

Wow I hate to read this. I have finally got the courage up to rent one in March because after 20 minutes of walking my knees become too painful. I do not have a cast so it sounds like I will be even more of a target. Last time even pain pills did not help and my husband rented me a wheelchair, but I hate asking him to push me around all day. I hope people are not rude to me, I was excited to think of going to Disney and not worrying about pain.

We had a weekend trip planned for DD's birthday the weekend before Christmas. The Monday before Thanksgiving I herniated a disc in my back and by the week before our trip I had mostly lost the ability to control my right leg. While I could still walk (and was determined to do so!) it was very slow and tiring and I didn't want to ruin our trip for everyone else. (Oh, and my doctor forbid me from going unless I used a wheelchair or ECV. :rolleyes1)

DH & DS wanted me to get a wheelchair... they said they'd take turns pushing me and DH thought it would be more obvious that I actually "needed" it - since no one could see what was wrong with me. But I didn't want to be dependent on anyone!

So I did the weekend ECV rental, and I have to tell you, it was worth every penny - and I honestly didn't notice anyone who had a negative issue with it. DH says they were out there, but I was too focused on:

1) Not running over anyone - I started laughing and saying "Don't worry, I only run over my own kids!" when parents would try to move their kids out of my way (in a polite way, no one was ever rude about it that I saw).

2) Getting loaded onto busses correctly and quickly so as not to hold everyone up - it actually wasn't bad once I got over my fear of the thing! I was a pro by the time I had to give it back - and hated giving up the freedom it gave me!

3) Enjoying my DD's birthday weekend! We had so many fun surprises planned for her and I was determined that my injury was not going to dampen the fun! I have to share her fascination with the "Transformer stairs" on the busses - I think that was almost the most impressive part of the trip for her - I'm pretty sure she still has the video on her phone!

and 4) staying warm! (Who said it could be cold in Florida?!)

Anyway, get your ECV, focus on enjoying your time, not running over anyone, and if anyone is rude enough to say anything just offer to change bodies with them since they are "lucky enough to be able to get around without help". ;):rotfl:

ETA the good news: By New Year's weekend I finally regained control of my right leg and after 2 months of 3X weekly sessions with a physical terrorist I am now walking almost normally again - without surgery! Still gotta regain/rebuild strength, but am very lucky and very happy. :)

"By New Year's weekend I finally regained control of my right leg and after 2 months of 3X weekly sessions with a physical terrorist I am now walking almost normally again - without surgery!"

Physical terrorist! LOL!!
We will be there in 11 days (but who is counting). DD's boyfriend had knee surgery less than 3 weeks ago so we will be renting an ECV for him. He looks like a healthy 24 year old but will be unable to walk long distances. I am prepared to clear a path for him and I have no qualms replying to anyone who dares to comment if he gets off the ECV and walks through a line or a shop or a restaurant. It will enable him to come on this trip and that is worth it to us.

So I have plantar fasciitis in both my feet and have for years. We were at Disney two years ago and I made it through but it was hard. We are going in April and I just am not sure what to do. Part of me wants to rent a scooter and part of me is worried about it. I am only 43 and no outward signs of disabilities and know how people are. I read the post and and read the one about the questions to ask yourself. It all applied to me and the situation but.... sigh I just don't know. :sad2:

Why do you even think about caring what people who don't know you think about you. And if anyone gives you any sort of difficulty, sweetly tell them to take a long walk off a short pier, or stronger words to that effect!

People meandering and stopping in front of the chair was another huge challenge. One of our frequent lines was "does the ground disappear after we roll over it?" since people seemed to be in a huge hurry to get RIGHT in front of us.
We visited SeaWorld with our scooter-riding neighbor last weekend, and not only did we have the jump-and/or-stop-right-in-front-of-you people, but also some that I still haven't figured out. We were in the manta aquarium, which was pretty crowded, so she needed to back out to get out. There was a group of girls standing behind her, so we asked them politely to move...three times...and they acted like they couldn't hear us. So finally my husband said, "You're just going to have to back up." She started to and they started hollering and waving their hands WHILE STILL STANDING RBEHIND HER!! They had plenty of room to move, and at that point I made it clear that they were going to have to, but I still have no idea what was up with that whole scene.

SeaWorld is good with scooters for the most part, but we went to the concert and there was one section of people who stood for the whole thing, even though they had chairs (just stood up in front of their chairs). Problem with that was, they were in a perfect position to block the handicap seating so our neighbors saw butts for the entire show. We were sitting in a different area or I would have asked someone to make them sit down.

You know I think that I am more worried about the others in my group. How is maneuvering the scooter around the park? I know, I have read the post but I guess I am scared. I have never had to do this other then after my foot surgery when I was at the grocery store. I do know that after that I no longer questioned (to myself) why someone was parked in a handicap parking space or using a scooter. I do think that I might only use it around the park and not while standing in line. I guess I should talk to DH and decided.

Go ahead and rent the ECV! I have sever plantar fasciitis & a heel spur that causes me great agony. I thought I could try to walk the park but very quickly realized that it was going to be impossible. My foot was burning after just a half an hour! I am only 40 years old, and it was depressing to think I had to use one, but you know what? IT WAS SO WORTH IT!!!

I was able to spend HOURS at each park on consecutive days. I didn't have to ice my foot for hours on end & take my strong pain meds to combat the pain from walking and I didn't ruin my son's birthday by not being able to do everything he wanted to do.

Will some people stare & comment? Sure. But you know what? Who cares??? You are never going to see these people again, and it's your vacation just as much as it is theirs. You should be able to enjoy it too!

And the CMs were so wonderful! We went on buys President's weekend and they were super, super nice. Even when I wanted to get up and use my cane, they always offered and told me I could stay in the ECV. They always were so helpful - it made it so worthwhile!

So my recommendation is: go for it! I know exactly how you are feeling - plantar fasciitis is so invisible, and yet, you can't run, jump, or walk without shooting pain and (though I don't know about you), my pain does not get better the more I walk on my foot. So if that means that I have to use an ECV to get the most out of my vacation, I darn well am going to do it :)

Thank you for not using one when you do not need it for medical reasons! It actually makes things harder for those of us who really do need our wheels.

What most people do not realize is that there can only be a certain number of wheelchair-users on a ride at any one time for safety reasons. That number is usually 2 or perhaps 3. Also, since most lines are mainstreamed, we wait in the regular line and THEN in ANOTHER line with other wheelchair users. There are also only a very limited number of wheelchair/scooter spots for shows, so it is not uncommon to be turned away from shows (especially Tiki room) even when able-bodied people can get in.

When I use one because I am not strong enough to get around the whole park, but am able to walk or stand in lines, that is what I do. I park the scooter with the strollers and get in line like others. I also rent them in the park so that I am not taking up a spot on a bus needed by someone who must use one all the time. I see a lot of scooters parked each time I go to the parks. There are lots of different things you miss when you go through a scooter entrance to a ride - like a lot of the theming and like you said waiting and waiting for them to load wheelchairs or scooters. But when I am unable to get around a park without a scooter, I sure rent one. It makes life - and enjoying Disney for me is one of the best parts of life - great!

I am all for people using whatever wheels they need, whenever they need! I was posting that more for the people who use a wheelchair as a stroller for a child with absolutely no need for one. I have heard quite a few people in lines with me say they rented a wheelchair because the strollers are so expensive! Or because they don't want to have to leave a stroller outside. I try to tell them that they are actually keeping other people from enjoying the parks as much, since there IS a limited amount of space!

But yeah, if you need wheels, then use them!!

I appreciate everyone sharing their stories. DH is relatively young, but he is a disabled veteran. He has severe chronic pain from an old spinal chord injury and I'm afraid he will need some assistance at the parks in the next year or so. I know we'll get stares since he appears perfectly able-bodied. I really don't care at this point. If he ends up needing one to enjoy the parks with our kids, that's what we'll do.

Thanks for your observations. I thought it was a great post & reminders. Did give me a giggle because it reminded me of these 2 women I encountered in line at the Toy Story ride. Unfortunitly they were abusing the scooters. They should not have even rented them because they both were fully capable of walking. They were in there early 60's I guess and were one behing the other in line, directly behind me. The one in the back had no experience I am sure because the other kept yelling at her how to drive one! At one point the line moved up a bit and the scooter in the back totally rammed the front scooter right into the back of my foot. If they were truely handicapped in any way, it would have NOT bothered me 1 bit. But they were obviously abusing the scooter and using them when not needed.(I saw them several times over the trip in different parks so I am OK making that assesment) Do you think the women could have apoligized to me? NOPE! They just pretended I wasn't hit. Felt like ripping their heads off. It really hurt! I really think DIsney should require some kind of Dr note or something when renting scooters out. I also saw another family with a wheelchair rotating pushing each other around goofing off as they were going around the park. Many people really need these scooters/wheelchairs and others are taking them when not needed.

Disney can't force ecv users to show a dr's note -- it's a violation of privacy laws.

To give you an idea of how much walking is involved in a Disney vacation: Some friends recently went to Disneyland for three daze and used a pedometer to measure how far they walked. Their total was 31 miles!!! And good for them being able to do that. The DH is a chiropractor and I can't help wondering if he had to give his wife a massage after each day's adventures.

Other than umpteen people stepping right in front of my ecv, the only encounter I've had with rude (ignorant!) guests was when I was waiting for the WDW monorail ramp to be extended, and a CM told me where to wait. They load the ecv's and/or wheelchairs before the other guests, and a guest wanted me to move my ecv forward so he could go around me to another monorail car. If he had waited 30 seconds he would've seen that I couldn't move without being rammed by the ramp. I was tired and snarky enough to tell him that I was waiting where the CM told me to wait.

Thanks for your observations. I thought it was a great post & reminders. Did give me a giggle because it reminded me of these 2 women I encountered in line at the Toy Story ride. Unfortunitly they were abusing the scooters. They should not have even rented them because they both were fully capable of walking. They were in there early 60's I guess and were one behing the other in line, directly behind me. The one in the back had no experience I am sure because the other kept yelling at her how to drive one! At one point the line moved up a bit and the scooter in the back totally rammed the front scooter right into the back of my foot. If they were truely handicapped in any way, it would have NOT bothered me 1 bit. But they were obviously abusing the scooter and using them when not needed.(I saw them several times over the trip in different parks so I am OK making that assesment) Do you think the women could have apoligized to me? NOPE! They just pretended I wasn't hit. Felt like ripping their heads off. It really hurt! I really think DIsney should require some kind of Dr note or something when renting scooters out. I also saw another family with a wheelchair rotating pushing each other around goofing off as they were going around the park. Many people really need these scooters/wheelchairs and others are taking them when not needed.

How do you know they were not disabled? I look just fine. Before my disease progressed, my sister and I used to take turns in my wheelchair. We both have medical problems, and both of us look just fine when we are walking. No limp or anything. And we goofed off with the wheelchair - going fast, making "vroom" noises. In fact, my nearly 60 yr old father STILL tips me into random wheelies and makes car-noises! Just because we are disabled doesn't mean we don't goof off!

Unless they told you they did not need the scooters, there is NO way you could tell they were not disabled. My great aunt Mary used a wheelchair in WDW because of a heart problem. Most of the time she walks, and does it fine, but needed to sit sometimes.

And just because they were bad scooter drivers does not mean they are not disabled. Many people only use a scooter in WDW because you walk 6-10 miles a day. They don't need one in daily life, so they may not be used to driving one.

Yes, those women were rude for not apologizing (although I can say that yu dont always notice when you run over something). But that does not mean they are not disabled. It just means they are rude.

And as others have mentioned, requiring a doctor's note would be a violation of the ADA.

A. You just are not that tired at night if you use one - and at age 64, that is an issue.
You may not be as physically exhausted, but I am mentally tired at the end of the day from trying to not hit people (yes, I have the same issue with people walking in front of me!)

2 months of 3X weekly sessions with a physical terrorist
This made me giggle!

There are also only a very limited number of wheelchair/scooter spots for shows, so it is not uncommon to be turned away from shows (especially Tiki room) even when able-bodied people can get in.

When I use one because I am not strong enough to get around the whole park, but am able to walk or stand in lines, that is what I do. I park the scooter with the strollers and get in line like others. I also rent them in the park so that I am not taking up a spot on a bus needed by someone who must use one all the time. I see a lot of scooters parked each time I go to the parks.
I definitely prefer renting offsite and having the scooter the whole time. If I am staying at a big resort (like SSR) I cannot take a "stroll" around the resort without it. And even staying at Boardwalk or something the walk to and from the hotels will kill me at the end of the day. So I am definitely a proponent of a scooter all the time. However, I also will often park it and walk the queue or into a restaurant. Like someone else said I don't want to take up "wheelie" spots if I can help it.

So I have plantar fasciitis in both my feet and have for years. We were at Disney two years ago and I made it through but it was hard. We are going in April and I just am not sure what to do. Part of me wants to rent a scooter and part of me is worried about it. I am only 43 and no outward signs of disabilities and know how people are. I read the post and and read the one about the questions to ask yourself. It all applied to me and the situation but.... sigh I just don't know. :sad2:

Use the scooter and enjoy your trip. When are you ever going to see those people that glare at you again.... oh, never. Then I hardly think they are worth you ruining your vacation for.

Use the scooter, have a great time!!! If Ihad a medical condition that using a scooter would make my trip more enjoyable, I certainly would. (this is coming form another 43 year old!!)

Wow I hate to read this. I have finally got the courage up to rent one in March because after 20 minutes of walking my knees become too painful. I do not have a cast so it sounds like I will be even more of a target. Last time even pain pills did not help and my husband rented me a wheelchair, but I hate asking him to push me around all day. I hope people are not rude to me, I was excited to think of going to Disney and not worrying about pain.

After numerous knee surgeries (20+) and finally a total knee replacement in July, I ended up having to have arthroscopic surgery again last week to tweak and remove something that came loose. I have given up on the looks people give me! DH asked me to let him push me around--he knew I was terrified of running someone over. Let me tell you, some of the outfits I have seen at butt range make my stomach want to hurl, lol! :lmao: In October two years ago, after a nasty knee surgery 2 weeks prior, I finally gave in and let him get me a wheel chair. All I am going to say is sheer skirt, nothing underneath, and she bent over:eek:..."nuff said!

Why do you even think about caring what people who don't know you think about you. And if anyone gives you any sort of difficulty, sweetly tell them to take a long walk off a short pier, or stronger words to that effect!

Chesire Figment, your kinds words have helped me, and I am sure countless others, see that we shouldn't let what other people think bother us. Thank you! :goodvibes:wizard:

I'm so happy that this was originally posted! I tore my ACL 3 weeks ago and surgery this past Monday. We came to WDW last night. I was planning on backing out of the trip do to the surgery since I come so often but i REALLY didn't want to! It was the first time my whole family is on vaca together in like 2 years. I saw the original "observations" and realized "why the heck not!?" I went ahead and rented a scooter from offsite, and just spent 11 hours in AK/MK and had a BLAST! I hadn't ever driven a scooter until last night and i can proudly say i didn't run over a single toe or heal and even managed the bus and monorail just fine. So thank you! If i backed out I would be at home on the couch with my knee up and very jealous of my family having fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter