My Ebay mistakes to pass along

tbserena

Mouseketeer
Well I got excited about "Ebaying my way to Disney"! I jumped in and started listing everything I had. I think I put 60 or 70 items on in 24 hours! Well I am passing on my mistake in hope to save others my cost! I never took the time to really understand how Ebay works, and I have lost some money that I hope I can recoup later. It's not Ebay's fault, just mine. I guessed on shipping, mistake number one. I was way under. Plus, I didn't add anything into it for my time or supplies. I started with a Personal account and had someone try to buy with a credit card, so I switched to Premier, so I could accept credit card payments, not realizing Ebay got a small fee for each transaction with a Premier account. (I thought they only took a fee if it was a credit card account)
I know it's not that much money, but all of the fees add up after awhile, and if you are trying to make a profit, you feel like you take 1 step forward and 2 backwards! My starting prices are low to attract the bids, so maybe that's the mistake. I'm just not doing well with it. I read where people made $1000 in 3 months, and they must've either listed high with decent shipping, (or sold a few expensive items), or they sold a heck of alot of things.
I'm trying to make it simple, but every shortcut Ebay offers has a fee.
I am now back to a personal account as I need every dime saved. I do actual shipping now. Hopefully I will have enough things left to sell! I've just chalked it up to a learning experience!

That IS pretty stupid how the Premier Account works. We recently upgraded because my husband has been selling alot of stuff and he thought he really had no choice.

The fact that they charge for ALL payments including bank account payments and even transfers from paypal account to another is ridiculous. I can see charging for the credit card payments but charging for all payments is not right.

Just a little FYI on Paypal you can only transfer out so much money each month--$500. If you wait to close to your trip and try to transfer out all your money the most you can get per month is $500. But you can transfer in up to $1000. Im not sure why the amounts are different.

Just a little FYI on Paypal you can only transfer out so much money each month--$500.

I beleive that is only on non verified accounts, I found this on the Paypal site (and most of us are verified, so it won't be a problem):

5.3 Withdrawals. In order to withdraw money from your PayPal account we require you to provide PayPal with a number of forms of identification as further described and protected in our Privacy Policy. We require this information to authenticate your identity and to determine how much you may withdraw from your account per month. We may limit withdrawals and require additional information from you depending upon your location (U.S. or international), credit rating, and other factors. Generally, in order to withdraw more than $500 per month, we require you to complete some authentication procedures, such as confirming: your email address, your bank account, and your social security number. You may withdraw funds by direct deposit to the bank account you have on file with us or you may elect to receive a physical check for a nominal processing fee as disclosed in our Fee Schedule. Generally, checks will only be sent to Confirmed Addresses. Importantly, if you are an Non-U.S. User and do not reside in a Withdrawal Country, please note that you may not be able to withdraw funds from your PayPal Account and should therefore only accept payments if you know you will send payments in equal amounts out of your account. For more details and guidelines about withdrawals, please refer to our Payments Policy.

Thanks for posting that :D Actually I am verified but they have 3 options you can choose to get the limit raised, so I'll just do that. I was worried for a minute because that's where I had been putting my trip money, lol.

From Paypal:
Withdrawal Limit

Your Withdrawal Limit is the maximum amount of money you can withdraw each month from your PayPal account. You may lift this limit by completing two of our three steps. We ask members to complete these steps to increase security for everyone.

To lift this limit and withdraw unlimited funds, complete two of these 3 steps.

Your Monthly Withdrawal Limit: $500.00 USD per month

$500.00 USD Remaining

I have a verified account and I also have a $500 per month transfer limit. (Un)fortunately I haven't had to deal with this yet as I have never had to transfer more than $500 per month, but I will look into the 3 options to raise the limit.

As far as mistakes for first time eBay. I think it is a good idea to list a few things at a time at the beginning. You can see how the shipping thing works and then you may only have undercharged for 10 items as opposed to 60! Also, you get a better feel about what it takes to get everything ready for shipping, taking to the PO, etc. It takes a little more organization than it looks.

So, I hope you do not give up on eBay. I have been doing it slowly for a little more than 1/2 of a year. I paid for a 4 night trip last November (we have APs so didn't have to pay for tickets). I have $600 so far on our next trip for August (we are getting a package this time, so also need tickets.) I list about 10 items every other week. I usually list them on Sunday night. Then the next Sunday when they end, I don't list new things. I have that week to mail everything, wait for payments, etc. Then, the following week I will list about 10 more things. This works for me as I feel I can stay on top of things. I have really only sold outgrown kids clothes, some books, some kids computer games, etc. Nothing big or expensive. I also list clothes usually in lots with same sizes. I find they sell better this way. No one wants to buy a $1.99 shirt and pay $3.85 shipping when they can get a lot of 6 shirts with $5.50 shipping.

So, my advice for newbies (and really I still consider myself new), is to take it slow. That way, if you make mistakes it only affects a few auctions and not your whole eBay inventory!

Maggie

I've won a couple of auctions on eBay where the payment instructions were to use a particular Paypal account if paying cash and another one if paying by credit card. I guess that would be one way to avoid paying fees on everything.

You might have to open the second account in a spouse's name or something.

I've always just specified that I don't accept credit cards. May have lost a bidder or two, but on small items, it shouldn't matter.

Sheila

Don't give up!
When I first stated out I made a lot of the same mistakes. Just live & learn!!! ::yes::

You CAN earn good money on Ebay with "everyday" items.
I made $700+ on Ebay JUST by selling some of my VHS tapes!!!
I did have a few out of print videos that sold for $15-$20 but most sold around $3.00-$5.00 range. Every little bit helps!

I made $1300+ since February & honestly the highest thing single item I had go for was $25.00 & that was an out of print music CD.
I did have a "Lot of VHS tapes" that went for around $130, but it only averaged out to $1.50 per video.

So anyway, just keep working at it. Learn from your mistakes......I did and it has really paid off.

GOOD LUCK!

I have found some of the same things you mention here.....I had a Premiere account and then discovered I was losing a fee to every purchase. I downgraded back to a cash/transfer account and I have been having a selling slump. I can't help but wonder if it is because everybody wants to pay by credit card. Some people were terribly confused about how to pay if it was not by credit card. I think having two accounts for each type of payment is an EXCELLENT idea! I have had ALOT of people insist they do not want to pay by PayPal at all and they promise to send a MO and then just don't ever pay. I have lost more than 2 dozen items that way since the beginning of the year. It is amazing!! It takes almost a month to file all of the forms/claims to finally get your final value fee credited back to you. Then, you still lose your auction listing fees.

eBay has not been the experience I had hoped it would be.

I am so glad to hear the encouraging words. I am listing alot of things and have so many people wanting to pay by credit card. It just kills me to see Ebay keep a piece of every payment just because you've agreed to take credit card payments! The listing fees up front, the "extras" to help the item sell...fees at the end...it's a wonder you can make anything at all! I'm not trying to get rich, just save enough for Disney.
I had someone email me today wanting to bid on an item but thought my shipping was too high. (It was a pair of PJs listed for $5.00) The way I handled it was to offer her "actual" shipping if she wanted to buy it right then. I figure I want people to be happy and bid on other things. Most people are paying the shipping fees I post.
I am going to have to resort to buying scales and doing actual shipping on every item. The thing is, I have 90 items listed, and it's going to take a little longer to do exact shipping, but I suppose it's worth it. How does anyone else make buyers happy? Do you list low and have actual shipping AND a handling charge? Do you list high and just have good stuff your listing?

I am one who only starts my listings at a price I am satisfied with. If it goes higher, cool, if not, that is okay too. I would hate for an item to sell for .99 when I was hoping a low starting price would drive interest. I have only ever had two items not sell, but I am picky about what I list. If it doesn't look like those things are selling--in completed auctions--I just donate the stuff and take the tax write off.

We stopped taking credit cards awhile ago and have never had a problem. Once in awhile someone asks and we tell them they are free to send a money order or pay by traditional Paypal methods. My DH has a philosophy that the people who ask questions almost never bid. For the auctions we have had, that turns out to be true more often than not. We always answer the questions. but rarely hear from them again. Honestly, I don't worry about what every buyer thinks. (Let me clarify--I want my actual buyers to be totally satisfied and happy with the transaction, I just don't care about what every possible buyer thinks.) Your shipping is stated in your auction and if the person doesn't like it, they don't have to bid. No big deal, someone else will.

I would say the biggest reason you are having a tough time is because you have so many things listed. I never have more than like 8 or 10 things on at once. Survive this week and then slow down. Make sure you complete the auctions with good communication and timely shipping and you'll be fine. It's going to be a lot of work though to keep track of everything and get it all shipped in good time with so much stuff so just stay as organized as you can!

Good luck!

How do you post the exact shipping? I've only been an Ebay buyer, but am tempted also by the selling lure.

Originally posted by DisneyBill
How do you post the exact shipping? I've only been an Ebay buyer, but am tempted also by the selling lure.

Usually you pack up your item it the box (but don't seal it) and then weigh it. On the http://www.usps.gov website there is a shipping calculator. You tell it the package weight and the zip code it is going to (I always use 90210) and it tells you the price of the various options (parcel post, priority mail, etc.). I usually put down in my auction the actual shipping cost. I don't add in a fee. But I ship almost everything priority mail and if not I get boxes at work So I don't have to buy much supplies. But I usually also even out the shipping price. So, if the actual shipping would be 5.35 or something, I would just put down 5.50.

You can print priority mail labels from the usps website and the delivery confirmation is free. If you download the shipping assistant program, you can get parcel post delivery confirmation for 0.13.

Maggie

Thanks for the info. Sounds like even I could do that!

Originally posted by 4greatboys
Just a little FYI on Paypal you can only transfer out so much money each month--$500. If you wait to close to your trip and try to transfer out all your money the most you can get per month is $500. But you can transfer in up to $1000. Im not sure why the amounts are different.

I just transferred $700 from my Paypal account to my checking account and I didn't have a problem. It cleared in 3 or 4 days. In fact, I just withdrew the money today. Now I'm off to AAA for some traveler's cheques!:cool:

Just a heads up, but there is a fee involved when you use a credit card, no matter what the company is. If you run a business and take credit cards, the bank that issues the VISA or MC takes anywhere from 3% on up before they transfer the funds to the merchant. Plus there is a extra layeraperwork involved. That Paypal fee may not be all going to Paypal.

Originally posted by DisneyBill

I only use flat rate shipping when I sell something that will be $3.85 Priority no matter where it is going. It either weighs up to 1 lb. 2 oz. or it will fit in a flat rate envelope. Then I put a flat rate of $4 or $4.25 to cover handling. (BTW, I have a shipping scale which I couldn't live without!)

If my item will be over the 1 lb. 2 oz or won't fit in a flat rate envelope, then I weigh it and use exact shipping using the shipping calculator and add a small handling fee. I usually send everything out Priority unless it's a book/video/ computer game and then I use Media.

I have transferred a lot more than $500.00 from my Paypal acct within a month's time. It may depend on what kind of account you have. I have the premier, before I accepted credit cards my auctions did not do nearly as well. As for having two accounts it seems like it would be too confusing. I only start things at what I want to make for them as well. I also stopped listing cheaper items because I would end up making very little to no profit after the fees.

A note about PayPal funds....

You might want to consider leaving a minimal amount of funds in your PayPal account. I've heard some very distressing stories from sellers whose account funds had been frozen by PayPal because of disputes or complaints from buyers. They will freeze your account if someone claims they didn't get their item or accuse you of being a fraud in some way, until the matter is investigated. One woman went to the post office ready to pay for $100 worth of postage on all her eBay packages, only to have her PayPal debit card refused because her account had been frozen.

It could happen to anyone, and I just wanted you all to be aware. Do not treat PayPal like a personal savings account.

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter