My Dream Is A Meal A Chef Makes! A Sept. 2012 POP PTR (with multiple food allergies)!

stackyallred

DIS Veteran
First thing's first... I must confess that I suffer from a rare Disboards disease. Actually, it might not be that rare. It just might be one of those sicknesses that people are ashamed of and therefore, they never talk about it. I know that the first step to getting help is admitting that I have a problem... so here I am. I am not sure of the scientific name but I believe I have “completed-trip-report-aphobia.” Otherwise known as CTRA. It all started innocently enough 4 years ago when DH and I were about to go on our 5th anniversary trip. I had a nice PTR going with all the fun details and pictures of how DH and I went to WDW on our honeymoon and every year after. I was all excited because it was my first trip since discovering the disboards... but then- we returned home, the post vacation blues set in and then I found out I was pregnant and that put WDW out of my mind for a while (Gasp! If that is possible!) Fast forward almost 2 years and I decided to give another PTR a try. This was our first trip with a baby! Surely, I must share this event with the entire world (or at least the other disers)! So again, I started out with a nice, well-intentioned plan... only to come home and neglect the precious few followers I had reeled in during my pre-vacation excitement.

Now comes the test. Our next trip is 3 weeks away. I want to do a trip report for a few reasons but I think I need accountability if I am going to finally break this vicious cycle. :lmao:

My disboards name is stackyallred and I don’t follow through with trip reports.

There.

Let the healing begin.

As I said, I have a few reasons why I want to give this all a try yet again. In the past, I think I was just excited and thought it would be fun to share. This time, my reasons are a lot more important to me. So, what are those reasons, you ask?
1. I want to have it as sort of a journal of our vacation. DS will be almost 3 and he is totally pumped about this trip. This will be his third trip but it is his first where he clearly understands the idea of “going to Disney World” and meeting the characters/riding rides. He remembers things from last year and is excited to see it all again (which makes mommy and daddy even more excited! :lovestruc).
2. (This is the biggest reason!) I have had a variety of health problems since right after I found I was pregnant with DS. Some of the problems were there before pregnancy, but became very heightened after. Others just seemed to pop up out of nowhere. After 2+ years of unexplained issues that just kept getting worse, ranging from constant and severe stomach pain to anxiety attacks and overwhelming exhaustion, I was finally diagnosed with multiple food allergies (49 to be exact!) this past March. I also was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and a few other minor things. My lifestyle has changed rather dramatically since then but after about 6 months of relearning how to eat/cook, treatments and lots of patience, I think I am finally turning a corner and seeing some real improvement! In planning this trip, I have learned so much about how to plan for Disney with food allergies and I want to share my experience with others so that maybe I can help someone, too! I have a LOT of foods that I avoid, but the big ones (in other words, the hardest to avoid) are :wheat/gluten, soy, egg, peanut, dairy, and garlic. My reasoning for the title of this trip report comes from the fact that I have not eaten out at a restaurant since March because I have yet to find a safe place to eat with my allergies. If I didn't make it, I usually can't eat it. I am SO excited to not cook for almost two weeks at WDW!

Alright, there you have it! Here’s to a COMPLETED trip report full of memories and (hopefully) lots of yummy allergy free meals! :yay:

Thank you to our wonderful Mod for moving this into the correct forum! Now I can keep "pre-trip" reporting! :goodvibes

How about some introductions? I love pictures and since this is still a pre-trip report, I will include some pics of some past trips.

DH and I will be celebrating our 9th anniversary this year. When we got engaged, I am not sure we ever discussed our honeymoon location- somehow we both just knew immediately that we wanted to go to Disney World! We both had been to WDW a few times prior as kids with our families and as teens/college students with our friends but never together. We both loved Disney in general though (I had a collection of Cinderella items such as music boxes etc, even into my late teens and DH had a Toy Story Party for his 16th birthday lol) and we were excited to enjoy WDW together! We had a great honeymoon and I can hardly believe that we only went to WDW for 3 nights and 4 days considering how short that would seem to us now (we also went to Universal for two days but we’ve never returned)!!! Below is a pic from our honeymoon. The only one I could find to upload right now is this one from our approximately 4 hours in Epcot’s World Showcase... Funny story- when we were planning our honeymoon, DH asked me which country I liked the best in Epcot. I was totally confused. He said, “You know, the part that has all the different areas from all over the world.” I had NO idea there was a World Showcase! I had performed at WDW with a show choir in high school and had spent a very boring day in Future World and not once did anyone I was with mention that there was another area... don’t ask me how that happened. I will blame it on being a teenager who was probably more interested in a boy than looking at a map! :rotfl2: Anyway... I fell in love with the World Showcase on our honeymoon!

PSHoneymoonepcot03.jpg

We enjoyed a half day at Disneyland in 2004 thanks to a work related conference and then we did spend a great week at WDW in early December of 2005. We were loving Disney World, but then in 2007, something just changed. All of the sudden, we were just totally hooked. Maybe it was the fact that we had no vacation planned and a friend offered us a FREE 8 days stay at Bonnet Creek at just three weeks out :worship: it was totally unexpected and we had so much fun that trip even though we basically had to eat PB & J for every meal to afford a trip we had done no saving for! ::yes:: Regardless, that is when we really entered the “I-Will-Vacation-At-WDW-Every-Chance-I-Can-Get!” Club. I realize this is probably not a real club, but if it were, I know most of us would join it, right?!? Here's a few pics from our other “pre-parenthood” trips:

2005:
IM000154.jpg

2007:
OrdinationAstrosDisney07112.jpg

OrdinationAstrosDisney07132.jpg

Fairly typical behavior for us...
OrdinationAstrosDisney07293.jpg

5th Anniversary 2008:
image153-1.jpg

I was Tink and he was a Lost Boy...
image254-1.jpg

DSCN1805.jpg

DH is not afraid to steal the show, as seen at Hoop Dee Doo!
DSCN1536.jpg

Thanksgiving 2008:

image732.jpg

image713.jpg

Just a few months after our 2008 Thanksgiving trip, we were surprised to find out we were going to be parents! :banana: My due date was Halloween 2009 and I must confess that one of my first thoughts (because we always vacation in the fall) was, “When will I go to WDW again?!” It wasn’t a pouting thought, because we were excited... I just knew I probably wouldn’t want to do Disney THAT pregnant. So, what do two Disney-obsessed, excited parents-to-be do? They plan another trip for early in the second trimester! I was absolutely MISERABLE this whole trip :sick: (I was terribly sick through the whole pregnancy- still worth it of course!) but we made some good memories and enjoyed knowing that DS’ first trip was before we even knew that he was indeed a “he!” We had the idea that we would make his a scrap book of his “first trip” and have all the characters hold up a sign we made that says, “See Ya Real Soon!” We started early on the Disney brainwashing! ;)

Babymoon May 2009:

MickeySeeYou.jpg

PlutoMommyDaddySeeYou.jpg

WoodyBuzzSeeyou.jpg

Continued in next post...

Continuing with our introductions...

DS was born in November and not long after, we started planning a trip for fall of 2010. We invited my MIL and SIL to come along (MIL watches DS while I work part time so she is a huge help because she knows exactly how to take over when needed and my SIL is one my best friends). We had a great trip and my MIL and SIL were kind enough to bring DS back for a few days so DH and I could celebrate our anniversary in our happy place. I had a few teary moments, missing my baby but it went by fast and it was fun being just the two of us!

Baby's First Trip! 2010:

I promise DS was happy even if you can't tell here :rotfl:
Photo0051FourBySix.jpg

Photo0159FourBySix.jpg

First time meeting Mickey! :lovestruc
IMG_9010.jpg

In 2011, we invited my MIL and my FIL and had another awesome trip. DS was so great the whole time and seeing him exploring and enjoying everything was so much fun. Once again, my MIL and FIL brought DS home with them for a few days so that DH and I could again celebrate our anniversary. Have I mentioned that I have WONDERFUL in-laws?! :hug: We were sad to see DS go because he was totally starting to dig WDW just like us! But, he was thrilled to get a whole week of his grandparents all to himself so it was a bit easier to let him go this time. Again, it was fun being with just DH- WDW will always be “our place” even though DS shares it with us now, too!

2011:

Before heading to the airport!
IMG_2440_2.jpg

IMG_2492_2.jpg

DS was super excited to meet Mickey until he touched him! :lmao:
IMG_2672.jpg

I had to add this because DS made this face a lot out of excitement!
IMG_2485_2.jpg

Photo0162FourBySix.jpg

This year, we are going in mid-September and we have invited my mom! I loved having my in-laws come but they really couldn’t come 2 years in a row and they knew eventually that my parents may join us (we hope some day all of us can go together). My dad is hoping to join us next year but I am super pumped that my mom gets to come this time. I can’t wait to share Disney World with her. Her trips there were not anything I think she ever enjoyed (she never had the disboards to show her all the ropes! :rotfl:) but she is more excited about seeing it all with her grandson than anything. Mom will fly (she lives 18 hours away) to our house a few days before our trip and then we will all be flying to WDW together. And, because my mom is just as awesome as my in-laws, she is flying DS back to our home, dropping him off with my in-laws and then flying back to her home... all so we can celebrate yet another anniversary! :lovestruc I am not sure what DS is more excited about- spending a week at WDW or coming back to spend the night at my in-laws! I am a little anxious about him leaving us this time because I think he is going to be a full-blown Disney World fanatic this time (I’ll explain more on just how obsessed with WDW he has become in the last 6 months in a later post) and not want to leave. I know, I know... some people may think we are horrible parents for doing WDW alone, BUT he does get to enjoy it and we are big believers that happy parents/marriages make for happy kids. This way we all get the best of both worlds... and no one can deny he won’t get spoiled rotten at his grandparents’ home! Not to mention our yard literally connects to my in-laws so basically DS thinks their home is just an extension of ours! We are very blessed that our parents support us so much and give us some “just us” time. Here is a pic of my mom and DS back when he was about 6 months old (side note: my mom has lost 50+ pounds in the last 8 months so she actually looks quite different now!):

IMG_3003.jpg

Ok, that is us! I guess next time I’ll tackle how my obsession with how being organized plays into my Disney trip planning!

(Hey look! I’ve already had two entries in this PTR! Maybe I am overcoming my CTRA after all!)

Nice start!
What I think is the funniest thing is my DSs have a lot of the same Disney shirts and outfits and even shoes as your little cutie! Ha!

We started going to Disney together before we got married and had some trips with just the 2 of us even after our first DS was born. None of our parents have signed up to watch them now that there's 2 though! :rotfl: But with older DS being 5 there's probably no way we could explain to him that we were going anywhere near WDW without him!

Can't wait to see you dates and itinerary!

Nice start!
What I think is the funniest thing is my DSs have a lot of the same Disney shirts and outfits and even shoes as your little cutie! Ha!

We started going to Disney together before we got married and had some trips with just the 2 of us even after our first DS was born. None of our parents have signed up to watch them now that there's 2 though! :rotfl: But with older DS being 5 there's probably no way we could explain to him that we were going anywhere near WDW without him!

Can't wait to see you dates and itinerary!

So, what you are saying is, you shop at Target, too?! :rotfl: I was just thinking the other day how there are probably lots of other toddler boys wearing the same exact clothes while getting their pics taken with Mickey!

I am glad to know we aren't the only ones who still do WDW (at least partially) minus our littlest family member. But, yes I have thought that all this free week-long babysitting might come to an end when and if another one comes along! My MIL LOVES watching babies, though so I guess only time will tell!

I will have to take a look at your past reports and read about your trips. It is always fun reading about other couples with kids similar in age. Thanks for reading! :goodvibes

:wave2: What a lovely family - your little boy is so cute! ::yes::

I'll be reading ... popcorn::

:wave2: What a lovely family - your little boy is so cute! ::yes::

I'll be reading ... popcorn::

Thanks so much and thank you for all your help yesterday! I see you have a September trip planned, too! I just saw your link in your signature. Headed over to read about your plans now! :goodvibes

I love your PTR!! I love reading other's reports. I get a lot of useful tips on things to do and thing I might need! LOL!!

Your DS is soooo adorable!!

I'm reading along and can't wait to read more about your plans!!

I love your PTR!! I love reading other's reports. I get a lot of useful tips on things to do and thing I might need! LOL!!

Your DS is soooo adorable!!

I'm reading along and can't wait to read more about your plans!!

Yay! Thank you for joining in! I am hoping to get in another update in the next day or so. I feel the same way about reading about others' trips- we are all being continually educated! :laughing:

Thanks so much and thank you for all your help yesterday! I see you have a September trip planned, too! I just saw your link in your signature. Headed over to read about your plans now! :goodvibes

You're welcome! Glad I could help. ;) Thanks for stopping by my PTR! :flower3: It's mostly ramblerambleramble UPDATE, ramblerambleramble UPDATE form. :teeth:

Let’s keep this report rolling! I gave some background on our Disney history but I think it is time to give some details on how we do WDW! In the next link I will start to list what our specific 2012 plans are.

It occurred to me that I did not give any of our names earlier or much of a description and since I am long winded and overly detailed by nature, I’ll take a moment to do that!

Here is a great picture that describes my DH!
DSCN1674-1.jpg

His name is Philip and he is a big kid and an incredible husband and dad. I am BEYOND blessed to have such an incredible man love me so much... and love going to WDW so much, too! Philip’s favorite rides are Expedition Everest, Soarin’ and Toy Story Mania, yet Magic Kingdom is his favorite park- go figure! :goodvibes Philip is very energetic, almost always happy (unless he’s hungry) :lmao: and I am pretty sure that in 12 years of being together/9 years of marriage I have never seen him truly angry. He is a go with the flow kind of guy but is more than happy to follow a plan on vacation and even help make whatever plans are needed.

Now, I could show you a picture of me (Stacey) but since we are taking a look at who we really are and you have already seen what I look like, these pictures will do a better job of explaining me! ;)

Example of My WDW Master Plan (Best Parks To Visit, Times, ADRs, Itineraries)
Picture2.png

My Partial 'Mock-Up' of our POP Closet Area :hyper:
SDC14162.jpg

As you can see, I am an organizer and a planner (in case you actually just muttered, “Oh no, she didn’t” about the POP closet thing... :rotfl: yes, I really did. Hey, I like knowing how things will fit once we are in the room!) I love to plan but then once we are on vacation, the plans can totally change if needed (however, now with all my new found allergies I can’t be too lenient with where and what I eat like before)! The planning is part of the fun for me and I do get some sort of high from seeing how organized I can be each trip. When we arrive at our resort, DH takes DS and gives me the place to myself to get organized, unpacked, etc... (see, told you he was awesome! :love:). My favorite rides are Expedition Everest, Space Mountain and Soarin’. I love Epcot but I can never get enough of Magic Kingdom!

Once we are settled, the real fun begins! :banana: We are the type who like to totally pretend reality doesn’t exist once our airplane takes off for MCO. We take Magical Express and once we hit WDW property, we stay put. DH LOVES Harry Potter so some day we will probably venture over in that direction but for now, we like to keep it all in the Disney family. :laughing:

DS about to take his first ever Magical Express ride back in 2010! (Doesn’t DS look excited? :rotfl2:)
SDC12678.jpg

When DS is with us, we basically cater to his normal schedule. He is a very regimented kid (partly because I am big on a sleep schedule for him, partly because he just seems to do best with routine) but as long as we don’t let him get over tired or over hungry, he is a happy kid. We always try to do rope drop and then come back for an afternoon nap. We head out again for a few hours and then try to get him to bed at a normal time. The good news is that Florida is an hour ahead of us, so his normal 7:30 bedtime is 8:30 there and his normal 6:30 AM wake up time is 7:30 AM there (and yes, I know, he goes to bed early, but believe me, the kid wakes up at 6:30 NO MATTER WHAT TIME HE GOES TO BED :scared1: so we just go with it!). We are all three pretty enamored with Wishes so we always make one night a late night so that we can see it and then we take it easy the next morning. I’ve read how some kids struggle with the overstimulation of WDW... DS struggles when he is bored. The more there is for his curious little eyes and hands to explore, the better behaved he is. He is just like his mommy and daddy in that way- we like to stay busy as long as we get our rest and our tummies don’t get empty! DS thus far seems to be a daredevil and loves all the rides. This year will be his first chance to ride The Barnstormer and he is very excited based on what he has seen on YouTube! He is also looking forward to getting autographs for the first time and he claims his favorite character is Pluto... but he also keeps asking if he can meet Clarabelle- too much Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for him, I guess! :earboy2:

DS watching Wishes on You Tube when he was approx. 5 months old- or as we call it, "brainwashing!" LOL!
IMG_3041.jpg

When it is just DH and I, we just do whatever we feel like doing! Again, that will be a bit different this trip because I want to stick to the ADRs that I sent to Special Diets. All restaurants will have a chef come speak to you about a noted allergy, but I specifically picked restaurants that (according to all my research) have the best options for me. Anyway, if we feel like sleeping in, we do, if we feel like making rope drop at 8 AM and staying out until midnight, we do. We love just using Disney transportation and just going with the flow. Basically, if we are in Disney World, we are happy! We have a tradition of visiting all 4 parks on our last day so here are some pics from the last day of our 5th Anniversary Trip:

AK:
image321.jpg

HS:
image324.jpg

EP:
image341.jpg

MK: :lovestruc
image349.jpg

Now that you know a little bit more about us, the next link (hope to get it up tomorrow) will be some info about our actual upcoming trip... that is quickly approaching the 2 week mark! :yay:

This happens to me a lot so I just have to ask and see if there are any other crazies like me! :upsidedow When I am on facebook or sometimes when I am even talking to someone, I have the urge to insert the little emoticons available here on the Disboards... like when I see or hear something really gross I envision this little guy: :scared1: or if I think something is a good idea, I imagine this happy guy: :thumbsup2! It goes both ways, though because I find myself wanting to "like" stuff on the boards here like I do on facebook. Regardless, I think it is clear that I need to WALK AWAY FROM MY COMPUTER for a while! :rotfl:

A POP closet mock-up? :worship: I'm loving that - it completely appeals to my obsessive, over-planning nature! :thumbsup2

Love the "brainwashing" of DS - gotta get 'em started early, I say. ;) :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter