• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My dog has lymphoma. Is it time?

My heart goes out to everyone on this blog. In June of 2017 my 6 year old teacup chihuahua had a large mass on her neck. I took her to my vet. and they stated they were very concerned and referred me to a vet oncologist, who saw her the following week. A blood test was ordered and needle aspirate which came back + for B -cell lymphoma. Immediately I chose the Chop protocol with a 5600.00 price tag. This was my baby and I would go to the end of the earth for her. Well after 4 out of the recommended 15 chemos, she developed cystitis and mouth ulcers. I told them I was ending the chemo due to the severe side effects. To which I got a nonchalant reply as if I was taking money away from their business. She returned to seemingly good health but that October she developed the mass again. I immediately returned to my vet and we decided to stick with prednisone. I had her on an organic diet of bone broth,grass fed beef, organic chicken and supplements of wild blueberry juice, broccoli sprout extract,reishi,wild oregono, etc. Etc. And played anti cancer resonances, prayer, love etc. Etc. Grounding, you name it from her diagnosis.the 2nd week of January,short of 2 weeks ago,she developed rapid shallow breathing but still eating, drinking and playing. She also started to lose body mass and weight.We went to the vet and she recommended putting her down 4 days ago. I scheduled in 4 days because i wanted a few more days with my baby girl. 2 days later she was in great pain crying and wimpering. The vet gave buprenex injection for pain and enough for a few days but it did nothing.She didnt sleep, just paced and wanted to be alone. Yesterday i took her to a park for one last stay with nature. We went to the vet and she was put to sleep in my arms. I am devastated to say the least. At age 6 1/2, And this took the love of my life. I feel yes, pets tell you when its their time, and she held on because I was not ready, but the pain was too great.I don't know if i can make it through the following days without a huge amount of support. In the end I can only say that the oncology vet was inadequate at best and made it a money charade for perhaps a few extra months. I. believe the chemo would have killed her.I have great memories but can only try to get through this and never get over it. They need to develop targeted chemo., instead of playing the money card.

My heart goes out to everyone on this blog. In June of 2017 my 6 year old teacup chihuahua had a large mass on her neck. I took her to my vet. and they stated they were very concerned and referred me to a vet oncologist, who saw her the following week. A blood test was ordered and needle aspirate which came back + for B -cell lymphoma. Immediately I chose the Chop protocol with a 5600.00 price tag. This was my baby and I would go to the end of the earth for her. Well after 4 out of the recommended 15 chemos, she developed cystitis and mouth ulcers. I told them I was ending the chemo due to the severe side effects. To which I got a nonchalant reply as if I was taking money away from their business. She returned to seemingly good health but that October she developed the mass again. I immediately returned to my vet and we decided to stick with prednisone. I had her on an organic diet of bone broth,grass fed beef, organic chicken and supplements of wild blueberry juice, broccoli sprout extract,reishi,wild oregono, etc. Etc. And played anti cancer resonances, prayer, love etc. Etc. Grounding, you name it from her diagnosis.the 2nd week of January,short of 2 weeks ago,she developed rapid shallow breathing but still eating, drinking and playing. She also started to lose body mass and weight.We went to the vet and she recommended putting her down 4 days ago. I scheduled in 4 days because i wanted a few more days with my baby girl. 2 days later she was in great pain crying and wimpering. The vet gave buprenex injection for pain and enough for a few days but it did nothing.She didnt sleep, just paced and wanted to be alone. Yesterday i took her to a park for one last stay with nature. We went to the vet and she was put to sleep in my arms. I am devastated to say the least. At age 6 1/2, And this took the love of my life. I feel yes, pets tell you when its their time, and she held on because I was not ready, but the pain was too great.I don't know if i can make it through the following days without a huge amount of support. In the end I can only say that the oncology vet was inadequate at best and made it a money charade for perhaps a few extra months. I. believe the chemo would have killed her.I have great memories but can only try to get through this and never get over it. They need to develop targeted chemo., instead of playing the money card.
I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I wish they had better cancer treatments for pets. I lost my 6 yr old beagle to pancreatic cancer this July. Hang on there. I know it’s so devastating.

My thoughts and my heart go out to you Princess' dad. I am the one that lost Holly (sheltie) on the previous page 1 month ago tomorrow 1/22/18. She was put to sleep on Christmas day. I am still devastated, and I had more time with her, 13 years and 4 months. The time is never enough for any of us. We unconditionally love our pet companions and they US. It's something I will never know, but I believe that the Rabies vaccine is "possibly" causing Lymphoma in dogs and cats. The vaccine is injected in the neck, as we all know. It doesn't do any good to over analyze, because we don't seem to be able to save these pets from that dreaded disease. Chemo, Prednisone and alternative supplements don't cure it. I've been through Lymphoma twice with two dogs.

This is so heartbreaking for you Princess' dad. She was a young dog and still fought a losing battle. You did pretty much what I did, organic foods and supplements. Just know that I have a lot of compassion for you, as I know you are feeling lost without that little soul. She was everything to you. Just keep posting whenever you need to, because it helps a little bit to type out your thoughts, as it does for me. Prayers and warm regards to you.

I wanted to say as well that I also believe that the vaccines do overwhelm the immune system and shouldnt be given in such a mandatory fashion. We have no recourse if it was a vaccine causation in humans or pets. I read somewhere that the dosage is far too high for small dogs. I decided to put my energy into holistic treatments but this is an area that the oncologist vets know nothing about and even dismiss. The holistic vets are very few and may only offer what I could possibly do. I thank you for your prayers...

I can't believe this. I was just reading this thread this morning and it made me go check all of our dogs for lumps. Found one in the morkie's neck so am on my way to the vet right now to see what's up.

Our sweet kitty has cutaneous lymphoma. She was diagnosed about a week ago after a biopsy. We give prednisone twice a day and anti-nausea meds every other day.

I know her time will come soon, but I’m dreading it...

I am devasted. From the beginning Major’s nose was dry and I told my husband something must be wrong; healthy dogs tend to have wet noses. He was a picky eater from the start (we thought). Other GSD owners my husband ran into mentioned their dogs were picky eaters so we chalked it up to that. I would add white rice and chicken to his food which helped. At about 1.5 years he was losing weight, increased vomiting, loose stools and when he had blood in his urine, I figured he had a urinary tract infection. Our vet said 1% of male dogs of UTIs and it was likely something else. It was. He was diagnosed with an intrahepatic liver shunt (congenital defect). $6,000 for surgery with had no guarantees. Just being sedated for the CT scan gave us a scare. A normal dog with a healthy liver would have snapped out of the sedation after about 3 hours. They had to keep him overnight and even then he acted “stoned’ when he came home. We decided against surgery as we may lose him from the anesthetic. Many hours of research (gotta love the google) resulted in making food for him. It was hard and took hours. I later found a link buried deep in the net for a diet specific to his condition created by a vet nutritionist. It was for a 40 lb dog I doubted it. I’ve added my own things too like ACV and cranberry capsules as his condition makes him prone to kidney stones. He is now 6.5 years. A couple of months ago he had what I will call a “spell”. We called him to come lick the bowl we’d mixed his food in and when he got up he seemed disoriented. My husband thought he was going to be sick. He put him outside. Major just stood there then would not respond to us. We got him inside then he had a seizure (shaking for a short period of time). He remained disoriented, would not get up easily etc. We decided to call the vet in the morning. We kept checking on him. We tried to walk him at 3 am. And again at 8. When he saw our neighbour and their dog, it was like he snapped out of it. All was good We did not call the Vet. I assumed it had to do with his liver and he was on the decline. None of us thought he’d live this long. Last weekend he had another spell only this time he would not lay down, he’d stand staring at nothing for such a long time then sit staring at nothing. He was panting, drooling and completely not himself. The next day the right side of his snout was swollen and he was drooling and panting a lot. We took him in. She told us all lymph nodes are swollen and he likely has lymphoma. Such a shock. We are not doing testing to confirm as his liver would never stand any treatment nor would our wallets. I convinced her to give him prednisone even though it is not good for his small, ineffective liver. It has helped. His face is no longer swollen, he hardly drools, he is eating like crazy but drinking too. That means he is having nocturnal accidents which I feel horrible about We are taking turns getting up at night to get him out. I am happy to say last night was accident free. We are praying for the two - four months my research tells me we may have left with him but his liver may fail completely first. It is so hard to know when it is time. My husband says if there continues to be accidents when we have deuced the dose of meds in 3 weeks to a maintenance dose, that is the time. I am bend on preventing accidents as it is not his fault. I am gong to try a turmeric paste mix I read about which helps reduce inflammation. I am open to any suggestions for natural methods to help keep him comfortable.

Our sweet kitty has cutaneous lymphoma. She was diagnosed about a week ago after a biopsy. We give prednisone twice a day and anti-nausea meds every other day.

I know her time will come soon, but I’m dreading it...

So sorry to hear about your kitty. We are using Pepcid AC X2 day when we give the prednisone for stomach upset/nausea. It has been a week tomorrow and so far no vomiting.

We had to put our sweet kitty down two weeks ago. The lymphoma spread to her brain. She was really the best cat ever. We miss her terribly.

I'm so sorry to hear about Tribble's diagnosis and the challenges you are facing. It's clear that you deeply care for her, and it's completely understandable to be worried and seeking advice during this difficult time.

Lymphoma can be a devastating diagnosis, and the decision-making process regarding treatment can be overwhelming. You made a thoughtful choice based on what you believed was best for Tribble's well-being, considering her age and the potential impact of chemotherapy.

Regarding her current condition, the panting and difficulty in breathing while lying down could indeed be distressing for both of you. It's essential to remember that every dog is different, and their response to lymphoma can vary. While Tribble still exhibits energy and happiness when up and about, the panting and discomfort during rest could be indicative of her body's response to the disease.

It would be advisable to consult with your veterinarian to discuss Tribble's current symptoms and overall quality of life. They can provide guidance on pain management and offer insights into her condition's progression. It might be beneficial to keep a journal of her daily activities, behaviors, and any changes you observe. This information can help the veterinarian understand how Tribble is coping and make informed recommendations.

As you navigate this challenging time, try to cherish the joyful moments you have with Tribble. It's clear she's loved and cared for deeply, and you're doing your best to ensure her comfort and happiness. Remember that you are not alone, and seeking support from friends, family, or online communities can provide comfort and understanding.

Ultimately, trust your instincts as a loving pet parent and prioritize Tribble's well-being. Your love and attention mean the world to her, and you'll make the best decisions for her based on what you know is right. Wishing you and Tribble strength and comfort during this difficult journey.

Take care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter