My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures

A few more from past visits to Trader Sam's.

Mosquito Mojito and Panko Crusted Long Beans

Tempura Shrimp

Spicy Chicken Wings

Burger with bacon, pineapple, havarti cheese and sweet potato fries.

Poke Bowl with Tuna

Ramen

Sea Monster’s Revenge

Safari Swizzle and Krakatoa Punch

Dole Whips with Rum

Bengal Barbecue

Safari Skewer - always a favorite

Pork Belly Skewer - a new one to me and I really liked it, although maybe a tad bit too much salt but the daikon and carrot balanced it out

Docking Bay 7

Cold Brew Black Caf - so good but I wish they didn’t put ice in it, I never knew if I was going to bite in to ice or cocoa puff

Moof Juice

Oga’s Cantina

FuzzyTauntaun and The Outer Rim - my first tauntaun and it was so fun and tasty too

Just going to be sideways. I've tried rotating them before uploading. They really want to be sideways.
Mint To Be - non-alcoholic and very refreshing. Lamplight Lounge.
Scotch Egg Salad with scotch egg replaced with hard boiled egg to make it gluten free. Delicious. Lamplight Lounge
Magic Star Cocktail, way too sweet. I wouldn't get it again. I'd buy the light and throw it in something else. Hearthstone Lounge.
Not pictured: Coffee and Lemon Berry Cheesecake from Hearthstone Lounge, very good. The coffee is worth the walk when comparing to any of the coffee in the parks.

Attachments

• 20210920_170448.jpg
    20210920_170448.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210920_170446.jpg
    20210920_170446.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210920_182416.jpg
    20210920_182416.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 11
Here's the full Napa Rose Chef's counter experience, from my birthday celebration, Sept. 12th. We had 5:30 reservations for dessert side. (spoiler alert: everything was wonderful!)

For once I have descriptions of everything, because they gave us souvenir menus with the names of everything on it that each of us had! So special!
607786 607787

Our server's name was Becca, and she was wonderful Friendly, funny, informative. DH and I were there with DD 19, and DD26 and her husband, DSIL26, who live in West Hollywood-- we'd spent the weekend seeing their new place and touring around up there. They brought us down for our 3 days at DL Monday-Wed, and joined in my birthday dinner this Sunday evening.

We were seated and immediately introduced to Jorge, the pastry chef. He was friendly and showed us lots of the wonderful things he was making throughout our dinner. The Chef de Cuisine came over, Gloria Tae, to talk to us about our likes and dislikes, allergies, etc. It was a bit of a challenge because DH, my 2 DDs and I are all gluten-free, and DSIL is allergic to nuts and salmon! But they accommodated us beautifully. Three of us had the wine pairings along with the chef's tasting menu. (not DD19 and DSIL, who was designated driver, bless him!)

First course: their version of tomato soup topped with caviar. You could zoom in on the menu picture above for more detail. It was kind of like tomato foam. Yum. They poured us a Veuve Clicquot champagne.

Second course, lobster toast with sea urchin. The spines on the side were decorative! We had a burgundy with this.

Third course, charred Spanish octopus. This looked spooky, but it was really tender and good! I like calamari, and this was better. Some fancy Spanish red wine with this.

Next up, veal sweetbreads with gnocchi, ham and apples, which I would never have asked for, but I'd forgotten to say "no sweetbreads." But I wasn't even sure what it was at the time, and I ate it, and it was delicious. French burgundy with that.

Then we had a little palate cleanser of apricot sorbet with chilled raspberry soup:

Then for mains, a Prime of New York with tamarind, cucumber and mint, amazing. With an Australian Cabernet.

Continued, next post....

Attachments

• IMG_3634.JPG
    IMG_3634.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3635.JPG
    IMG_3635.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 15
Part 2 of Napa Rose:

Baked cheese with lentils and fennel-red pepper marmalade, and a 1959 French wine that I couldn't pronounce but was wonderful.

Then, Caramelia Pot De Creme, Vanilla bean espuma, but apparently I missed getting a picture of that? Ooops.

Dessert for me was this fantastic Affogato, which is basically ice cream drowned in an espresso shot. But theirs is sea salt foam, salted caramel semifreddo (super rich ice cream) and dark hot chocolate espresso sauce, which they pour over a chocolate basket until it melts into your dessert. We had a Grgich Hills late harvest dessert wine, which was good to finish, though normally I don't do dessert wines. And no idea why it came up sideways.

The meal was quite long, like 3 hours. We got up and walked around, used the restroom, chatted with each other so as not to get too stiff. One result of this is that the wine didn't go to my head as much as it has in the past. There was more time for it to digest along with the food without me getting excessively tipsy. It's always nice to actually have fairly clear memories of the END of your meal! :rotfl:

Now, the above was just MY menu. Some of our things were duplicated, but there were many other wonderful courses served to my DH and kids. Here's a few random pictures from their plates with abbreviated descriptions:

Sauteed diver scallop with English peas and yukon gold potatoes

Arctic Char, almonds, green grapes, watercress and yogurt

Squash blossoms (DD26's, and I don't have her souvenir menu with the descriptions)

Cavitelli Pasta, forager mushrooms, prosciutto and parmesan cloud:

Shepherd's pie, Petaluma chicken fricassee in roasted chicken jus:

Sautees beef tenderloin, apples, hazelnuts and mustard creme:

And a couple other yummy desserts: Chocolate brownie sundae, chantilly, chocolate sauce:

...and Chocolate Bliss cake, chocolate whipped ganache and raspberry sauce

All in all, a wonderful (if expensive) experience! Highly recommend if fine dining is your thing, and you can afford the splurge for a special occasion!

c2b618ee-f0e0-40df-8487-0b7556174bc4-jpeg.601709

What is this item? It looks delicious!

Figment’s Return to Disneyland for Halloween (September 2021)
It's been almost 22 months since Figment's been to Disneyland! So much has changed, but it felt great to be back in the parks! Especially in time for Figment's family's favorite season...Halloween. There were new places to try and old favorites to revisit.

Cafe Orleans, Lunch
Cafe Orleans is one of our favorite spots and while some of usual favorite items weren't on the menu, we couldn't skip Cafe Orleans on our first trip back to the parks. Luckily it's also one of the places with outdoor seating. We requested a rail table and enjoyed watching New Orleans Square as we dined.

Shrimp & Grits - Andouille Sausage, Corn-Pepper Relish and Wilted Greens. Figment still likes this dish. Great flavor.
DSC_0260.jpg

Roasted Half Chicken - Butter Whipped Potatoes, Pomme Frites, Natural Jus. Figment was able to ask for pomme frites instead of the vegetables. The pomme frites is one of the menu items that is not currently available (sadly). The chicken was moist and had good flavor and the pomme frites were yummy!
DSC_0258.jpg

Dr. Facilier Mousse Cake - Decadent Praline Mousse, Dark Chocolate Brownie, Vanilla Crème Anglaise, Ganache. The praline added a nice crunch to the rich mousse cake dessert. Very chocolately!
DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

(Figment also had the Battered & Fried Monte Cristo Sandwich - Sliced Turkey, Ham and Swiss with Pommes Frites. It was good, but very rich. Despite being deep fried, it wasn't too oily.)

Red Rose Taverne, Dinner & Breakfast
Pepperoni Flatbread - Artisanal Pepperoni and Classic Pizzaiola Sauce with Mozzarella Cheese. Surprisingly pretty good. It was lightly spiced.
(edited)_DSC_0666.jpg

Halloween Grey Stuff - Traditional Grey Stuff with Tombstone Cookie and Halloween Sprinkles. This tasted just like the normal grey stuff, but in a cute Halloween presentation.
DSC_0669.jpg

Mickey Pancake - Served with Berry Compote and Sausage. A fun way to have pancakes!
DSC_0059.jpg

Breakfast Platter - Scrambled Eggs, Taverne Potatoes and Sausage, served with a Petit Croissant. The eggs were good, but the potatoes were a bit mushy.
DSC_0058.jpg

Ronto Roasters, Dinner
Ronto Morning Wrap - Scrambled Eggs, Grilled Pork Sausage, Shredded Cheddar, Peppercorn Sauce, wrapped in Pita. This is one of Figment's favorite breakfast items in the park. Lots of flavor, but it can be kind of messy to eat.
DSC_0392.jpg

Ronto Wrap - Roasted Pork, Grilled Pork Sausage, Peppercorn Sauce, Tangy Slaw, Wrapped in Pita. Similar to the breakfast one, but without the eggs and cheese. This one has roasted pork. A good option for lunch or a light dinner.
DSC_0669.jpg

Docking Bay 7
Coke & Moof Juice - Simply Fruit Punch®, Simply Orange® with Pineapple, Chipotle-Pineapple. Figment can never remember if he likes Moof Juice or the Meiloorun Juice better (it's the Meiloorun Juice). This one is sweet, but still good.
DSC_0647.jpg

Batuuan Beef Pot Roast - Braised Beef Pot Roast, Cavatelli Pasta, Wilted Kale, Mushrooms. This is Figment's favorite dish at Docking Bay 7. It has good flavor and is quite filling.
20210919_1317274.jpg

Endorian Fried Chicken Tip-Yip - Crispy Chicken, Roasted Vegetable Potato Mash with Green Gravy. The piece of chicken is on the smaller side, but it was fine for a light/shared lunch.
20210919_1317253.jpg

Endorian Roasted Chicken Salad - Marinated Chicken, Mixed Greens, Roasted Seasonal Vegetables, Quinoa, and Pumpkin Seeds, tossed in Green Curry Ranch. The salad was surpringly good! The dressing had a light curry flavor and a nice mixture of salad ingredients. Figment would get this salad again.
20210919_1317212.jpg

Batuu-Bon - Chocolate Cake, White Chocolate Mousse, Coffee Custard. Chocolate plus coffee! Yum!
DSC_0399.jpg

Figment’s Return to Disneyland for Halloween (September 2021), Continued...
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, Lunch
Popcorn Calamari - Served with Housemade Creole Mustard Aioli and Marinara Sauce. This is a staple whenever Figment goes to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. It's still very yummy!
DSC_0590.jpg

NOLA BBQ Shrimp & Grits - Gulf Shrimp Simmered in a "New Orleans" Barbecue Sauce with Roasted Garlic, Lemon Served Over Andouille Sausage-Parmesan Grits. This is another "staple" item when Figment goes to the Jazz Kitchen. The shrimp were nice and tender and the sauce is very flavorful (but not very spicy). The grits are more like polenta (creamy and not "gritty").
DSC_0602.jpg

Blackened Salmon - Cajun-Spiced North Atlantic Salmon, Green Onion Rice, Bacon Braised Southern Greens, Lemon Butter Sauce. This was something new for Figment. The salmon was flakey and very moist, with a very mild flavor (nothing really Cajun).
DSC_0598.jpg

Fried Chicken Caesar Salad - Cajun Spiced Fried Chicken, Crisp Romaine Lettuce, Roma Tomatoes, Shaved Asiago Cheese, Creole Caesar Dressing, Rosemary Garlic Ciabatta Bread. Unfortunately, the chicken was dry.
DSC_0595.jpg

Carthay Circle Alfresco Dining, Lunch
This is was a semi-new place for Figment's family. They've set-up tables outside the main restaurant (opposite of the Headless Horseman Statue). It's worth noting that a reservation for the Alfresco Dining doesn't guarantee outdoor dining. We had thought that Alfresco dining meant outdoors so were a bit surprised when they were going to seat us indoors (in the Carthay Circle Lounge area). We asked for an outdoor table and they were able to seat us outside with only a minimal additional wait.

Wildberry Lemonade - All-Natural Lemonade with flavors of Blackberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, and Blueberry with a spritz of Purified Sparkling Water. Light and refreshing!
DSC_0185.jpg

Bao Buns of Soy-Ginger Braised Short Ribs - Cucumber Kimchi. These had a lot of flavor (not spicy). The meat was very tender. It was a bit messy to eat, but yummy.
DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

Carthay Shrimp Spring Roll - Thai Basil, Mint, Spicy Aïoli. These were good (not spicy). They were cut more like sushi rolls, but it made them easier to eat.
DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

Baked Bay Scallops - Creamy Potato Chowder. The chowder is more like a light garlic-cream sauce. The scallops were nice and tender.
DSC_0191.jpg

Vietnamese Twice-cooked Beef Tacos - With Pineapple-Mint Salsa. Alone the meat is kind of salty, but paired with the salsa and the taco shell, it balanced out nicely.
DSC_0187.jpg

Lamplight Lounge, Lunch
The downstairs area is the Lamplight Lounge and it takes reservations. There is a mixture of indoor and outdoor seating; you can request outdoor when you check in and they'll try to accomodate the request.
DSC_0024.jpg

Mint to Be - Simply Limeade®, Watermelon and Berry Purée and fresh Mint topped with Soda Water. Another nice and light drink; not overly sweet.
DSC_0029.jpg

Chicken Ratatouille - Roasted Eggplant and Bell Pepper Ragout with Zucchini Noodles, Burrata, Mushrooms, Smoked Tomato Sauce, and Basil Aïoli. Yes, this ratatouille has chicken in it (we asked the server about that because I've always thought of ratatouille as a vegetarian dish, but he said that they felt it needed a protein). The chicken had good flavor and it contained the typical veggies in a ratatouille (which meant some of Figment's family was less enthused about it, but those that like those veggies liked the dish).
DSC_0042.jpg

Tuna Poke - Yellowfin Tuna "Rice Bowl" with Magic Watermelon, Avocado, Edamame, Shishito Peppers, and Spiced Mango Nectar. This is still one of Figment's favorite dishes at Lamplight Lounge. Good flavor and a fun presentation. Figment likes the crunch of the "rice bowl", the slight sweetness of the watermelon, and the freshness of the fish.
DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Scotch Egg Salad - Warm Scotch Egg, Greens, Citrus Tarragon Vinaigrette, Roasted Beets, Yogurt-marinated Apples, Goat Cheese, Beet Gel, Toasted Walnuts, Shaved Carrot, and Ninja Radish. The outer coating on the egg was crisp and well seasoned, but it was a bit difficult to cut the egg because it was on top of a salad.
DSC_0038.jpg

Crab and Tuna Roll - Stone Crab with Avocado, Jicama, Yellowfin Tuna, and Fireball-Yuzu Sauce. Fun little bites with some heat (the fireball-yuzu sauce). Figment could really taste the crab!
DSC_0035.jpg

Lobster Nachos - Warm Lobster with Black Beans, Aged Cheddar and Monterey Jack, Pico de Gallo, Serrano Chiles, and Chipotle Crema. Figment's favorite dish at Lamplight (although the tuna poke is a very close second). Still very lobster-y and very yummy!
DSC_0033.jpg

Last edited:
Figment’s Return to Disneyland for Halloween (September 2021), Continued

Jolly Holiday
Jolly Holiday is one of Figment's go to spots for a quick snack or a late-evening/post-fireworks meal. He did learn that some things show up for mobile order during breakfast (e.g., raspberry macaron), but tended to disappear quickly. So basic items can be mobile ordered, but you have to wait in line if you want some of the specialty desserts and treats.

Raspberry Rose Mickey Macaron - Raspberry French Macaron filled with Raspberry Mousse. Still Figment's favorite treat from Jolly Holiday. Sweet and fruity!
DSC_0464.jpg

Cookies & Cream Macaron - Mummy Mickey Macaron Shell with a Cookies and Crème Filling. This was one of the Halloween goodies. It's very rich and sugary, but with a fair amount of cookies & cream flavor.
(Note: The picture was, unfortunately, corrupted.)

Bat Cookie - Shortbread Bat Cookie dipped in Dark Chocolate, with a Vampire Mickey Face.
DSC_0406a.jpg

Pumpkin Cheesecake - Classic Pumpkin Cheesecake, decorated with a Chocolate Spider Web and a Halloween Decoration. This is Figment's favorite cheesecake at Disneyland. Very smooth.
(Note: The picture was, unfortunately, corrupted.)

Egg Bacon Croissant with Fruit - Flaky Croissant filled with Egg, Bacon, Cheese, and Hollandaise Sauce served with Fruit. It was fine, but nothing really special.
DSC_0459.jpg

Jolly Holiday Combo - Toasted Cheese Sandwich with Tomato Basil Soup. Figment's favorite entree...rich and creamy soup with a toasted cheese sandwich. Yum!
DSC_0463.jpg

(edited)_DSC_0047.jpg

Roast Beef and Smoked Cheddar on Hoagie Roll - Lettuce, Tomato, Pickled Red Onion, and Whole Grain Mustard Aïoli served with House-made Chips. The sandwich had lots of roast beef, but the roll was pretty big (i.e., a lot of bread).
DSC_0313.jpg

Plaza Inn, Lunch
Fried Chicken - Three Pieces of Chicken Fried to a Golden Brown and Seasoned with Distinctive Herbs and Spices, Served with Mashed Potatoes, Buttermilk Biscuit and a Mixture of Vegetables. Still a favorite of Figment's. The outside is crispy, but the chicken is moist. You can request double mash if you don't want the beans (they're okay, but often pretty mushy or tough).
DSC_0402.jpg

20210921_12423815.jpg

Cobb Salad - Tossed Mixed Greens with Chicken, Bacon, Egg, Tomatoes, and Blue Cheese Dressing. The salad had good flavor and was a nice contrast to the heavier fried chicken.
20210921_12425417.jpg

Penne Pasta with Chicken Pesto Alfredo Sauce - Topped with Parmesan Cheese and Served with a Breadstick. It was okay...not really sure why it's called Pesto...Figment couldn't taste anything pesto about the sauce; it was pretty much an alfredo sauce.
20210921_12424316.jpg

Bengal Barbecue, Dinner
Pork Belly & Bengal Beef Skewers - Figment liked both of the skewers. The pork belly was tender, but not super fatty. The beef was a bit sweet, but still good.
DSC_0311.jpg

Banyan Beef Skewer - The sauce had a slight bite, but nothing major. The meat was tender.
DSC_0307.jpg

Bengal Beef Skewer & Chieftain Chicken Skewer - The chicken skewer was slightly sweet. The chicken was moist.
(edited)_DSC_0046.jpg

Pork Belly - Yummy!
DSC_0045.jpg

Safari Skewer - Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus. Figment likes the combination of bacon and asparagus and some of the pieces were really good. Other pieces of the asparagus were really woody/tough.
DSC_0044.jpg

Alien Pizza Port, Snack
Halloween Alien Macaron - Filled with Blackberry Buttercream and Lemon Curd. Cute looking and tasty!
DSC_0657.jpg

Figment’s Return to Disneyland for Halloween (September 2021), Continued

Tropical Hideaway
Sundae - Dole whip plus fruits! Figment choose the raspberry and pineapple Dole Whips, which were both really good (he still likes the pineapple flavor the best). The fruit (and yummy butterflies) were tasty additions to the Dole Whip.
DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

French Market, Dinner
(I had dinner at the French Market twice, once when there was only a short line and once when the line was out the door. The time when it was really busy had issues. The line moved very slowly and by the time we got to the checkout, some of the hot foods had gone cold. There was only one cashier. We debated saying something and finally decided that it was worth mentioning our concerns. I thought I was being pretty reasonable when I said that the food had gotten cold to the touch by time we got to the cash register, but this was one of the first times that I felt like a CM really didn't care. Her first response was to say that next time I should use mobile ordering. I told her that we had checked, but there were no times available. She just shrugged and then continued to ring up the order. I think she would have just left it at that if I didn't ask if it would be possible to get replacement dishes. She said she'd call someone over to talk with us. The second CM was much more understanding and swapped out the cold dishes (jambalaya and the clam chowder soup) for fresh-made (aka hot) ones.)

Slow-Roasted Beef Signature Po' Boy - Fried Onions and Creamy Horseradish Sauce served on a Rustic Roll with Au Jus and Seasoned Chips. Figment thought this really reminded him of a French Dip sandwich. It was good, but messy to eat.
DSC_0111.jpg

Herb-Roasted Chicken - Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, served with Chef's Choice of Vegetables. The chicken is now de-boned so it's a lot easier to eat! Figment liked the chicken (moist, flavorful) and the mashed potatoes.
DSC_0109.jpg

Jambalaya - Creole-style Seafood, Chicken and Andouille Sausage Stew over Rice. The jambalaya has good flavor (not spicy) and a good amount of chicken and seafood.
DSC_0107.jpg

(We also had the bread bowl clam chowder. The soup was rich and creamy with a fair amount of clams. There was a lot of bread.)

Mint Julep Bar, Snack
Strawberry Chocolate Beignets - These are the seasonal beignets and they were really good. Figment could taste the strawberry and the chocolate.
DSC_0115.jpg

Strawberry Mint Julep - Figment liked this version of the mint julep (although, he likes the original better). This one was sweeter.
20210920_20330113.jpg

Smoozies
Mint-Chocolate Cookie Shake - Mint Chocolate Chip Shake with Whipped Cream and Chocolate Cream-filled Cookie ears. It was mostly a cute presentation. The shake was good, but nothing really unusual about it.
20210920_15362312.jpg

Chocolate Chip Shake - Chocolate Chip Shake with Whipped Cream and a Chocolate Cookie stick. It tasted good on a hot day, but it was a pretty standard shake.
20210920_15354511.jpg

Pym Test Kitchen
A member of Figment's family got a second trip to Disneyland with a week of the first and went to the Test Kitchen for the first time. It was surpringly good.

Pym-ini Sandwich - Salami, Salame Rosa with Pistachio Nuts, Rosemary Ham, Provolone and Sun-dried Tomato Spread on Toasted Focaccia, served with Marinara Dipping Sauce and Arugula Salad. It really reminded Figment of a slice of pizza folded in half. It was good, especially with the marinara dipping sauce.
20210920_11570410.jpg

Not so Little Chicken Sandwich - Fried Chicken Breast, Teriyaki and Red Chili Sauces, and Pickled Cabbage Slaw on Brioche, served with crispy Potato Bites. This was just fun to look at and it's great for people that aren't into bread! Parts of the chicken were moist, but the edges were kind of dry. The sauce had a bit of a bite, but it went well with the friend chicken. This was one of those things that was easier to eat with a fork and knife.
20210920_1156406.jpg

Caesar Salad and Colossal Crouton - Hearts of Romaine, Kalamata Olives, Pickled Onions, Caesar Dressing, Garlic Crouton and Parmesan Crisps. It was a good caesar salad, but mostly it was a fun presentation.
20210920_1156538.jpg

Impossible™ Spoonful - Rigatoni and Ditalini Pastas, Plant-based Meat-balls, Tomato Sauce, Dairy-free Parmesan and Micro Basil. This was a surprising hit with the group. If you didn't tell anyone, none of them would have known that it was not a beef-meatball. The meatball was really flavorful.
20210920_1156447.jpg

Candied Bacon - Who doesn't love bacon?
20210920_1156599.jpg

Celestial-sized Candy Bar: Choco-Smash CANDY Bar - Choco Smash Candy Bar with Dark Chocolate, Peanuts, Caramel, Nougat and Chocolate Brownie. This was huge! It was very sweet and very rich, but tasty.
DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

Pym Tasting Lab
This was also knew to Figment's family member.
Particle Fizz - Endless Summer Hard Seltzer - POG (Passion Fruit, Orange, Guava) with Fruit Flavor-filled Boba. The response was all over the map. Figment's family member thought this was very bitter and one sip was enough. The person that ordered it, liked it and drank the rest happily. Figment just wanted the beaker cup...
20210921_15543618.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter