My Disney Plans May be OVER

moxiecola

Mouseketeer
I am REALLY not happy. My husband had been out of work for over a year (the week after I found out I was pregnant with #5 he got laid off)...then he got rehired a few months ago, at which time we started socking away some funds for our Disney vacation in the fall. We haven't been on a family vacation in about 2.5 years so we figured it was time. Just last week the company cut his hours and now we are scraping up pennies to just buy groceries! How can I possibly justify a vacation in November when we can't even pay the mortgage now?!!! I am really, really upset and we have't told the kids yet our vacation plans are over...which I'm NOT looking forward to doing. I guess this post was really me venting to people who understand.... :sad1: Thanks for listening....

I'm sorry...

I would hold off on telling the kids just a little while - things may turn around and be much better! Be sure and give DH a big hug often - I'm sure he's feeling worse than anybody right now...

can you wait until the very last day to cancel without a penalty? maybe things will turn up by then? Craigslist some stuff- with 5 kiddos you must have some nice baby stuff someone could use. pick up a few hours at a grocery store?

consider where you are staying? don't do hoppers? do a park every other day?

You are right, you do need to cancel as sad as that is. If you are scraping pennies for food you need to get an emergency fund in place when you DH gets more hours first so if this happens again you will be better prepared. I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

:hug: I'm so sorry, I know that must be heartbreaking for you and DH. I hope your situation turns around this summer.

I'm so sorry to hear this for you! I had to scrap plans for our trip this year, so I just redirected my planning to next year. I do think you should cancel for this year though, things seem so uncertain. Make plans for next year and find fun free things to do this year with the kids. I'm sorry and I hope things turn around quickly! :thumbsup2

I am so sorry that this has happenned. :sad1:

Perhaps you can hold off until the last minute, as the other poster recommended. Things can change, and there is plenty of time between now and November. Also, have you considered downsizing your vacation? What I mean is perhaps lessening your number of days there. And what about staying at a value or even (gasp) off-site? There are plenty of deals around. Also, how about driving instead of flying. (Sorry, I don't know your vacation details so I am just suggesting in general).

I hope it all works out for you and the family. :grouphug:

you can move your trip forward, and keep moving it, without losing your deposit. We cancelled our trip last year because we really couldn't afford it. 18 months later, we made it to Disney. (My DH's work situation improved, and the kids got a bit older so I was able to go back to work full time.) Vacations are important, and memories, but being able to pay the bills and keep a roof over your family's head is much more important. And you have the opportunity - like we did- to teach your kids about fiscal responsibility and delayed gratification. Not fun, by any means, but we're raising them to do the right thing. I promise that even though you're dissapointed now, you'll know you made the right decision. I can't imagine going on a trip with no safety net and bills that can't be paid- I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Could you pick up a part time job? That would give you some extra cash?

I know it shoulds silly, but I once dated a guy who did a paper route. He made enough each month to pay the mortgage with some left over. :eek:

We had to cancel our road trip to Yellowstone a few years ago. It was heart breaking, but we just couldn't do it. We just didn't have enough to cover the gas. We wound up doing a part stay-cation with local day trips and short three day camping trip a few hours from home. Though the kids were disappointed we didn't make it to Yellowstone, we still had a great time with what we had.

I know everyone wants to go to Disney or where ever their favorite vacation spot is, but you can make memories with your family, whatever you wind up doing. Disney is soo $$$$$ and if you go, you and your husband may just spend more time worrying about $$ instead of enjoying yourselves.

:hug: Wishing you the best.

Yes, canceling is hard! But Disney World isn't going anywhere! How about planning a special day trip around the time of your canceled trip?

Could you pick up a part time job? That would give you some extra cash?

I know it shoulds silly, but I once dated a guy who did a paper route. He made enough each month to pay the mortgage with some left over. :eek:

I agree! My nanny does the putting of Sunday papers together. She puts in 2 hours on Thursdays and 2 - 3 hours on Saturday evenings. For this she gets about $700/month. She used to deliver papers in the early AM (from about 2a - 5a) and she cleared about $1100/month.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Hang in there. Something may give and things will work out. Wait till the last possible moment to make any changes in your plans. I hope all works out for you. You guys really do need to get away and enjoy some stress free time. :)

So sorry this has happened to you. I agree with the others - as long as there are no penalites, try to hold off on cancelling or maybe push the trip out a few months.

Hope things pick up for you soon :hug:

I would agree, unless you need the down payments for feeding your family.

I know it stinks. We had to go several years without a big vacation due to medical bills. It was hard, but you can actually go camping, visit family, etc. Family time isn't about vacation, but about family. I hope you can find that.

I hate this for you but just know that you are not alone. Lot's of people have had to cancel. I know how it feels too because I really wanted to go this Christmas but there is just no way. After all of the unexpected things that has happend to us, just one after another, there is no way. What is killing me is that I am now paying over 3K for doctor bills. All I can think is this is my Disney money flying out the window. :sad2:

I would hold off as long as you can, and maybe things will turn around. If not, like for me, there us always next year. :thumbsup2

I agree with the paper route option. If you do it around Christmas time its even better. TIPS big time. My mom has done this work for several years and usually gets several hundred(close to a grand some years) dollars in tips alone at that time of year. It can be a great way to sock away some money.

But be prepared to have bonds to pay back though. They take them out of your pay in increments though.

Thanks for the ideas! As of right now I've got a deposit on a place in Windsor Hills. Nothing else has been booked. I do work 8 hours a week but I will look into the newspaper thing...great idea!
The thing is right around the time my husband began working again he got a very small inheritance from his grandmother. That is what we put away for the trip. It kills me to have to use that money for BILLS!!!
Anyway, when life gives you lemons you make lemonade (or Sangria if you need something stronger!!)....I'm going to keep my hopes up until the LAST minute. I had a moment of weakness and wanted to vent....some how over the past year we have made every mortgage payment, even at our lowest of lows....we will do it again. I am keeping the faith. Thanks for the positive vibes :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter