• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Dining Review of Fulton's Crab House

ReganlovesWDW

Mouseketeer
Hello...I am at Disney now and wanted to provide some feedback on my experience at Fulton's tonight. I was excited to try it out. I remember dining there when it was the Empress Lilly and quite a dining event.

As a signature restaurant, my family and I dressed for the occasion and were apparently the only ones to do so. We were seated fairly quick by a host staff that were anything but congenial. I almost felt that I was interfering with their conversation by checking in. After being led to a dining area on the first floor towards the rear of the boat, I noticed that the booths around us that yet unseated but set, had leftover food on the bench. It was quite loud and reminded me of a cafeteria...certainly not reminiscent of the Empress Lilly.
My son then asked if it was a signature restaurant to which I replied that it was. And he pointed out all of the mosquitoes on the wall behind me and the low ceiling above me.

Our server, Jennifer was AWESOME! If not for her, we would have left shortly after my son's observation. she shared the specials and was very attentive to the kids. We ordered the feast that included lobster, snow crab and dugeness crab legs ($94 for 2) along with 2 shareable apps. The conch fritters were glorified hush puppies and the caesar salad was bitter and generic. The crab legs were unremarkable however when my husband opened the lobster tail a horrible black liquid exited as well, coating the tail. When I asked the server what it was she said it was "the guts" and that the chef no longer cleans the lobster so as to not take away from the moisture of the meat. that is all well and good but it was terribly unappetizing. The defining moment came when my husband went to dip his crab into the butter and discovered a large bug swimming in it.

Jennifer was great and wasted no time in getting the manager to our table. I told her she was remarkable and shared that with the manager. i explained our extreme disappointment and surprise that Fulton's was supposed to on the same level as California Grill, where we had dined two days prior. He did offer the excuse that there was little he could do about the bugs/mosquitoes since they are located on the water but i am not buying it. should i assume that Narcoossee's has the same affliction? I guess i will find out on Friday. Just wanted to give a head's up to anyone with a reservation.

Totally off topic but I have been racking my brain about the Empress Lilly. When I was 8 my family was there for a character breakfast, being so young I could not remember where it was located. I thought maybe MK but I knew the boat there was the riverboat...so thanks for solving my mental mystery. :rotfl:

Anyway, DF and I will be down in January and I had Fulton's on my list as a new place for us to try. I'm thinking about finding another DTD signature dining. I have been to Cali Grill a few times and every time it was great. I have also been to Narcoossee and there was not a problem with bugs. I liked it, however I prefer Citricos, but Narcoossee is good.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience, that would burn my toast too! I mean it's not cheap to eat there!!

Pretty much our feelings - see my review . . .

Our Ratings of Fulton's: (rev 2/5/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: D
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: C
. . . staff attentiveness: D
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Fulton's, as several other DTD eateries, like Portobello
and Wolfgang Puck, is part of the Levy chain. Most seafood is quite
good, but many think overpriced. The crab claws are good, but pass
on the crag legs or lobster, as there is major disappointment lurking.
One would expect far better service considering the price. However,
the "riverboat" is a nice environment, but the staff does not keep the
place clean enough for our taste.Be prepared to give CPR to your
wallet when the bill comes, and try not to gasp too loudly.

:scared1:

Wow, thanks for your review. On our upcoming trip we have ADRs for dinner at Fulton's and that is the one ADR that my whole family is excited about. I am so sorry your experience there was unpleasant. Did your DH still eat the lobster after the "guts" spilled out :scared:, or did he order something else? If he did, I hope it was much more appetizing to look at then the other. We have dined at Narcoossee's before and had never seen any of the problems that the OP encountered....we will be dining there again on our next trip as well. We will more than likely not change our ADR since like I said before, my whole family is looking forward to going, so I am crossing my fingers that we won't be seeing things that the OP saw....I will have to come back here and give my reviews.

Ummmmm... "Empress Lily" ! WOW ! Back in the day, it definitely gave "Vicky & Al's" a run for their money - and I consider "Victoria & Albert's" THE BEST restaurant in WDW - bar none. It was a "dining experience" and something that you will (would) never forget. I haven't ! :wizard:

Thanks for the review :)
We've been lucky enough to never get a bad meal here - in fact, we go each time. I guess if we had your experience then we would be changing our minds about that!

I wonder if lunch is better than dinner? Unless things have changed, it's much more affordable. OT, I don't order crab legs in restaurants - just too easy to heat them up at home.

Better luck at your next Signature, OP.

:)

DH and I used to love Fulton's. On our trips in '08 and '09 the food was very, very good. Went back in the spring of 2010 and it was awful. We always ordered the same thing and the difference was like night and day.:sad2:

He did offer the excuse that there was little he could do about the bugs/mosquitoes since they are located on the water but i am not buying it. should i assume that Narcoossee's has the same affliction? I guess i will find out on Friday.

Um, no. Narcoossee's definitely does not have that problem - at least it didn't the past two times DH and I have gone. What a shame that you had such an experience there. :sad2:

I am so glad that you posted your review. We've been debating whether or not to go since it's now on the dining plan. After reading your review (along w/ others) we pretty much decided it's clearly not worth it. :confused:

And about Narcoosees, no, we ate there bug free! it was outstanding ...the food was great, the service was wonderful. :goodvibes I would go back in a heartbeat.

Sorry you had such a bad experience at Fulton's, but thank you for sharing it with us!!

Hello...I am at Disney now and wanted to provide some feedback on my experience at Fulton's tonight. I was excited to try it out. I remember dining there when it was the Empress Lilly and quite a dining event.

As a signature restaurant, my family and I dressed for the occasion and were apparently the only ones to do so. We were seated fairly quick by a host staff that were anything but congenial. I almost felt that I was interfering with their conversation by checking in. After being led to a dining area on the first floor towards the rear of the boat, I noticed that the booths around us that yet unseated but set, had leftover food on the bench. It was quite loud and reminded me of a cafeteria...certainly not reminiscent of the Empress Lilly.
My son then asked if it was a signature restaurant to which I replied that it was. And he pointed out all of the mosquitoes on the wall behind me and the low ceiling above me.

Our server, Jennifer was AWESOME! If not for her, we would have left shortly after my son's observation. she shared the specials and was very attentive to the kids. We ordered the feast that included lobster, snow crab and dugeness crab legs ($94 for 2) along with 2 shareable apps. The conch fritters were glorified hush puppies and the caesar salad was bitter and generic. The crab legs were unremarkable however when my husband opened the lobster tail a horrible black liquid exited as well, coating the tail. When I asked the server what it was she said it was "the guts" and that the chef no longer cleans the lobster so as to not take away from the moisture of the meat. that is all well and good but it was terribly unappetizing. The defining moment came when my husband went to dip his crab into the butter and discovered a large bug swimming in it.

Jennifer was great and wasted no time in getting the manager to our table. I told her she was remarkable and shared that with the manager. i explained our extreme disappointment and surprise that Fulton's was supposed to on the same level as California Grill, where we had dined two days prior. He did offer the excuse that there was little he could do about the bugs/mosquitoes since they are located on the water but i am not buying it. should i assume that Narcoossee's has the same affliction? I guess i will find out on Friday. Just wanted to give a head's up to anyone with a reservation.

Hi,

Did Fulton's have any restrictions on ordering on the Disney Dining Plan?
Did anyone use the dining plan to eat there?

Thanks.

Also, does anyone have a dessert menu for Fulton's online it is missing.

:scared: This frightens me a bit, as we have a lunch reservation in October and both my DH and I have been excited to eat here. I would expect it to be right up there with Artist Point and Narcoossee's, both of which were wonderful restaurants that we're returning to. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't change that ADR. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't think Fulton's is owned by Disney. OP you should copy & paste your review & email it to the company.

Kae

Fulton's "USED" to be one of my favorites at WDW. But our last visit in April 2012 was very disappointing. Previous to that our visit in March of 2011 was somewhat disappointing. The quality of the food had just gone down hill. I can no longer justify the price vs the quality. In my opinion, it has sunk to a slightly upscale Red Lobster. What a shame, when just a year and a half ago it was so wonderful. :sad2:

prob because its now on the ddp. dont think it was before. its the way all the dining experiences are going there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter