My DH decided to go on a liquid diet (vent)

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
I am completely against this. He is about 80lb overweight. He does not work out at all. He has not tried going on a more normal diet first.

He and a co-worker went to this medical weight loss clininc yesterday to get their blood taken prior to going on this liquid diet. It is supposedly medically monitored, but pretty much the only thing he will be able to eat are these shakes for about 4-5 months. He is starting tomorrow (as soon as his blood work is OKed)

This is not healthy. I'm furious but he insists.

There is nothing I can do about this so here I am complaining at you guys.

Is it the Medi-fast thing?

I had a friend who went on that. It actually worked out for her. She lost a lot of weight safely and quickly. Good motivation to keep going I guess. They monitered her really closely while she was on the program.

I think the problem with liquid diets is that it's too easy to go back to the same old eating habits once you go off them since you're not learning to make healthier food choices, portion control, etc.

My friend has kept the weight off for about three years now - but she did say that she started to climb back up as soon as she added solid foods back into her diet... until she decided she was not going to let all those months of not eating be for nothing!

She went to a nutritionist who helped her work up a healthy eating plan and she joined a gym. You know, lifestyle changes that would have helped her lose the weight in the first place, but not as quickly as doing medi-fast.

I hope it works out for your DH.

My doctor told me that Slimfast as such was OK for those pesky 10 lbs but a healthier diet and exercise was needed for more weight loss.

I would probably guess that he won't be able to stick with it. He will be too hungry.

are you sure this isn't my dh. My dh is always looking for a quick fix. He goes for extremes no matter what anybody says. Every time he goes to the dr he asks if he can have diet pills. He's still living in the 70's. The good thing is that i've learned over the years that it never lasts long. I've been sick lately and it's forced me to get more healthy. Since dh won't really go to the store on his own, if something healthy is made he'll eat it. Plus if I bug him he's walking with me every day.
Maybe you could try walking with him. I've known people who have done this diet. It's not really unhealthy. Like other's have said the problem is you don't aquire healthy eating habits. It's very easy to gain again. Also, i think it's expensive.

I went on that diet the same time Oprah did. I looked great!!! But you should see me now. Doesn't teach you to eat properly, and I put the weight back on and then some. Not the mention how expensive it all was too. :sad2:

This is exactly my point. If you don't learn how to eat, you will gain it all back. He claims they have nutritionist there who work with you after they wean you off the shakes. I really didn't ask too much about it bacause I was furious.

He doesn't get his junk food at home. He eats out for lunch where I can't monitor him (guess what that does to our budget). He is an emotional eater, so I don't see how he's going to stay on this stuff.

GRR!!!!

Well, I can add some information that you may want to share with him.

I did that liquid diet several years ago (saw the doctor weekly for medical monitoring and was assured it was safe). It definitely worked (although I gained the weight back later).

However, I had one major consequence that I didn't plan on. I wound up having my gallbladder removed.

One night I had excruciating pain (wondered about a heart attack). I made it through the night, saw the doctor (not the same doctor) the next morning, and was treated for the vomiting, etc. Since this was the first attack I ever had, the doctor didn't catch it.

Exactly one week later, it happened again, and I told DH that I couldn't go through another night like before. We went to the ER, and I was admitted to the hospital. After various tests, they found out what was wrong. My gallbladder was removed (doctor said it was rotten, and I had lots of huge stones).

Afterwards, I did some research and found out that LOTS of people who did the liquid diets had similar experiences (and gallbladders removed). He very well may be letting himself in for major problems.

punkin said:
I am completely against this. He is about 80lb overweight. He does not work out at all. He has not tried going on a more normal diet first.

He and a co-worker went to this medical weight loss clininc yesterday to get their blood taken prior to going on this liquid diet. It is supposedly medically monitored, but pretty much the only thing he will be able to eat are these shakes for about 4-5 months. He is starting tomorrow (as soon as his blood work is OKed)

This is not healthy. I'm furious but he insists.

There is nothing I can do about this so here I am complaining at you guys.

Usually my liquid diets include alcohol. ;)

If all else fails tell him to try this. :rotfl2:

Americans are always on the lookout for a new diet. The trouble with
most diets is that you don't get enough to eat (the starvation diet),
or you don't get enough variation (the liquid diet), or you go broke
(the all-meat diet).

Consequently, people tend to cheat on their diets, or quit after 3
days, or go right back to stuffing their faces after it is all over.
Is there nothing you can do but give up and tell your friends you have
a gland problem? Or is there a slim (groan) hope?

Well, now there's the new Toddler Miracle Diet!

Over the years you may have noticed, as I have, that most
two-year-olds are trim. It came to me one day over a cup of black
coffee and a carrot that perhaps their diet is the reason. After
consultation with pediatricians, X-ray technicians, and distraught
moms, I was able to formulate this new diet. It is inexpensive,
offering great variety and sufficient quantity. Before embarking on
this diet, however, be sure to check with your doctor... otherwise you
might have to see him afterward. Good luck!

DAY ONE
-------
Breakfast
One scrambled egg, one piece of toast with grape jelly.
Eat 2 bites of egg, using your fingers; dump the rest on the
floor.
Take 1 bite of toast, then smear the jelly over your face and
clothes.

Lunch
Four crayons (any color), a handful of potato chips, and a
glass of milk (3 sips only, then spill the rest).

Dinner
A dry stick, two pennies and a nickel.

Bedtime Snack
Toast piece of bread and toss it on the kitchen floor.

DAY TWO
-------
Breakfast
Pick up stale toast from kitchen floor and eat it. Drink half
bottle of vanilla extract or one vial of vegetable dye.

Lunch
Half a tube of "Pulsating Pink" lipstick and a handful of
Purina Dog Chow (any flavor). One ice cube, if desired.

Afternoon Snack
Lick an all-day sucker until sticky, take outside, drop in
dirt. Retrieve and continue slurping until it is clean again.
Then bring inside and drop on the rug.

Dinner
A rock or an uncooked bean, which should be thrust up your left
nostril. Pour iced tea over mashed potatoes; eat with a spoon.

DAY THREE
---------
Breakfast
Two pancakes with plenty of syrup, eat with fingers, rub in
hair. Glass of milk: drink half, stuff pancakes in glass.
After breakfast, pick up yesterday's sucker from rug, lick off
fuzz, and put it on the cushion of your best chair.

Lunch
Three matches, peanut-butter and jelly sandwich. Spit several
bites onto the floor. Pour glass of milk on table and slurp up.

Dinner
Dish of ice cream, handful of potato chips.

FINAL DAY
---------
Breakfast
A quarter-tube of toothpaste (any flavor), bit of soap, an
olive. Pour a glass of milk over bowl of cornflakes, add a
half-cup of sugar. Once cereal is soggy, drink milk and feed
cereal to dog.

Lunch
Eat crumbs off kitchen floor and dining room carpet. Find that
sucker and finish eating it.

Dinner
A glass of spaghetti and chocolate milk. Leave meatball on
plate. Stick of mascara for dessert.

:lmao: :thumbsup2

As a personal trainer I totally agree with the poster saying Americans are about a quick fix. If I come across someone like you're husband I refer them to a dietician before I'll work with them. It's diet and exercise people-that's the way to take it off and keep it off. I know some people have to have bairitric surgery to help but that's not most people. Please have your husband consider this. When anyone drastically reduces their calorie intake the first thing the body does is panic and thinks it's starving. When that happens the body will start consuming its own tissues especially tissue that requires a lot of calories to function. Muscle is the number one tissue for calorie burn. At the same time it will hang onto tissues that don't burn a lot of calories-like fat. That's why many people go on these diets and lose a ton of weight only to gain it back plus some when they go back to regular eating. My dh was the same way(the King of couch potatoes)-didn't work out and was 40 lbs overweight-with high cholesterol. We eat a healthy diet-except he ate out everyday at work. I nagged to no avail. Finally my dd drags him into taekwondo class and he finds a passion. In little over a year he lost the 40 lbs and has become a gym rat. He now comes to Gold's with me to workout then goes to tkd to workout. I really hope your dh can find some exercise that he can like to do. It doesn't matter what it is anything. It saddens me to see so many people my age (late 40's) who have so many health problems that can be attributed to weight. I'll get off my soap box now-good luck

FullStride said:
Well, now there's the new Toddler Miracle Diet!

Over the years you may have noticed, as I have, that most
two-year-olds are trim. It came to me one day over a cup of black
coffee and a carrot that perhaps their diet is the reason. After
consultation with pediatricians, X-ray technicians, and distraught
moms, I was able to formulate this new diet. It is inexpensive,
offering great variety and sufficient quantity. Before embarking on
this diet, however, be sure to check with your doctor... otherwise you
might have to see him afterward. Good luck!

DAY ONE
-------
Breakfast
floor.
clothes.

Lunch

Dinner

Bedtime Snack

DAY TWO
-------
Breakfast

Lunch

Afternoon Snack

Dinner

DAY THREE
---------
Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

FINAL DAY
---------
Breakfast
cereal to dog.

Lunch

Dinner

RTFLMAO!!! I have a toddler....this is cracking me UP! :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I’m sorry to hear that your DH is doing a liquid diet instead of a sensible, life-change type of plan. The thing that worries me the most about these “fad” diets is 1) potential negative health effects and 2) the fact that the person doesn’t learn to change their habits so the vast majority of people end up gaining all the weight back. Just be there to support him, and hopefully he’ll come around and choose to do something more sensible. It’s a tough road, but healthy weight loss is the way to go even though it’s not a quick fix by any means. As someone currently doing Weight Watchers, it’s tough, but I know it’s healthy and sensible.

Stitchfans said:
I went on that diet the same time Oprah did. I looked great!!! But you should see me now. Doesn't teach you to eat properly, and I put the weight back on and then some. Not the mention how expensive it all was too. :sad2:

Me too. I actually use to weigh in with Oprah. I was supposed to go to the show where she pulled the wagon of fat but DH ws in the ER, so i missed going.

Have had better luck with Jenny Craig.

Anotherguynamedbob said:
No matter how bad an idea this is, he's doing it and is going to need you to support the heck out of him.
Soooo, if he decided to do something stupid, she should support him? Excuse me............................................................ :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I support him in losing the weight. I cannot in good concience (I can't spell) support him in doing something detrimental to his body. I think it is all part of a midlife crisis. He just turned 40 and I guess he is looking for his outh back. Well, in his youth, he used to row crew and was in grea shape. I wish he would go back to that (even if it means him getting back into bed at 7 am with freezing feet).

FullStride said:
DAY ONE
-------
Breakfast
floor.
clothes.

Lunch

Dinner

Bedtime Snack

DAY TWO
-------
Breakfast

Lunch

Afternoon Snack

Dinner

DAY THREE
---------
Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

FINAL DAY
---------
Breakfast
cereal to dog.

Lunch

Dinner

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:

TOV (shamelessly boosting post count through smilies)

My in-laws are both quite overweight and both on the liquid diet, Opti-fast. They have been on it for just about 9 months now. They are medically monitored and are "taught" healthy eating habits. Both have tried diet and exercise for years with no major results. For them it was a blessing, FIL lost over 100 pounds and MIL just under 100. The "liquid" part of it lasts for 3 months, then there is a 3 month period where they can eat normal foods, then back to the liquid part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter