• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My daughter just cancelled her Rolling Stone

Haven't read this entire thread.

This was a self-photo he took and posted on Twitter (I think). He DOES look a little like a model here and he IS in handcuffs now. From all accounts, he was a likable, regular guy that could've been in any class with your own kid. He is also a terrorist. How did he get from there to here? That's the question.

I could see how you feel that way, but my daughter thought some might be offended. She felt she really did not want to receive a magazine that was going to do that especially when she felt it was intentionally done to create buzz.
I talked to her yesterday and she said she was going to read through the thread. She has read quite a good deal about the bombing and probably knows more about it than I do.

Backhanded insult? Not quite... I am in my 20s. I don't think I know ANYONE my age who reads Rolling Stone. But my dad? He got a gift subscription for Christmas from one of his buddies.

Thus, pointing to the incorrect assertion (in my opinion) that anyone who reads Rolling Stone is going to ever think that this guy is a "teen idol." Unless, Rolling Stone subscribers are into teen idols?

Many will SEE the cover, but not necessarily READ the article. A pleasing visual produces a more favorable response. A young attractive teen on the cover will appeal to a certain demographic, that is less likely to focus on current events. Perhaps, RS is hoping to expand their market and increase sales?

Many will SEE the cover, but not necessarily READ the article. A pleasing visual produces a more favorable response. A young attractive teen on the cover will appeal to a certain demographic, that is less likely to focus on current events. Perhaps, RS is hoping to expand their market and increase sales?

So it's Rolling Stone's fault that people too stupid to read won't see that the cover calls him "a monster"?

I'm frustrated that there's no room for subtlety or nuance anymore. The cover worked very well in the context of the article, which described how friends, coaches, teachers had no clue that this kid had within him the capability to rain destruction on the very community that he was a part of. Yes, you see that picture and you don't see "terrorist" - that's the point.

Freedom of the Press. It's a good thing.

I read the article. There's nothing there that glorifies this creep. Many of the people who knew him IRL described him as an ordinary sort of person. But that's the way some terrorists are--they don't walk around with a flashing neon sign above them. They may even be nice to dogs and old people before they start blowing things up. I think the cover shows that side of him, and it's good for people to understand that terrorists could seem like your next door neighbor.

I can't imagine that anyone at RS went to the editors and said, "OK ... so ... my plan for expanding our market into the twenty-somethings ... let's put Tsarneav on the cover! The kid from the bombings! We'll grab a shot of him from Instagram or something and just put it out there. What do you think?" :rolleyes1

My guess is that if they were going to try for a younger more engaged audience, they'd go with Bieber or Beyonce or Taylor Swift or One Direction. Even if they WERE trying to appeal to a demographic "less likely to focus on current events", it seems extremely counterproductive to try and do that with a guy who is only famous FOR a current event.

:earsboy:

So it's Rolling Stone's fault that people too stupid to read won't see that the cover calls him "a monster"?.

They can print, whatever they want and I can dislike it. It's not Rolling Stone's "fault". And, yes...there are stupid people. ;)

Now, if they really want an uproar...George Zimmerman for their next cover. My guess, they'd receive more negative publicity, than the Terror Teen. :upsidedow

So it's Rolling Stone's fault that people too stupid to read won't see that the cover calls him "a monster"?

I'm frustrated that there's no room for subtlety or nuance anymore. The cover worked very well in the context of the article, which described how friends, coaches, teachers had no clue that this kid had within him the capability to rain destruction on the very community that he was a part of. Yes, you see that picture and you don't see "terrorist" - that's the point.

My thoughts exactly.

And the person who lost his leg, or worse a loved one.
What does he see? The point could have been made just as easily by putting the picture at the start of the article.
I think it was have been more subtle if it was in te magazine.

He does not look like a rock star or teen idol to me.

He looks like a stone cold killer, a monster.

His eyes are so cold.

He has no regrets about what he and his brother did.

MHO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter