My dad's battle with ALS is over

jacksonsmom

<font color=blue>Can you guess who I am a mom for?
I had posted on here before, although it hasn't been a while.
My dad passed away 1 month ago today, on June 17th. He was diagnosed with ALS in February of 2006.

He fought it with bravery and never once pitied himself.

Even though he was sick and we knew his time was limited it still is a shock that he is truly gone from this Earth :( I guess it is true that you are never truly prepared to say good-bye

I just thought I would update every one. I guess there are bad days and OK days since his passing. I can't really say there have been "good" days yet.
It's been very hard.

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers some have written in the past.

I am sorry to hear this. ALS is a devastating disease. My DH lost his battle with ALS in July 2005.

Please know that you are in my thoughts.

-Marti

I'm so sorry. My heart hurts for you. :hug:

Thank you for your words.

Marti, i am so sorry for your loss of your DH. Als is such a horrible disease :(

I am so sorry.

This quotation by William Saroyan has always helped bring me peace and I hope it does for you:

"But try to remember that a good man never dies. You will see him in the houses, in all the places of the town. In the vineyards and orchards, in the rivers and clouds, in all the things here that make this a world for us to live in. You will feel him in all things that are here out of love, and for love--all the things that are abundant, all the things that grow. . . Love is immortal. And makes all things immortal."

:hug: Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. Praying for Gods peace and comfort for you during this time.

So sorry that you lost your Dad. Time does heal but it takes time and don't let anybody tell you how to grieve for him. Everyone is different. When my Mom died people kept shoving pictures in my hands but I didn't want to look at pictures for a while, now I enjoy looking through the albums. But there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I could see her or pick up the phone but it does get easier. Promise.

Laurie

Thank you again for the kind words every one.

Today is 9 weeks without my father....I never look at Wednesday the same.

It is also exactly 3 weeks that I lost my grandmother to ovarian cancer :(
It has been a very hard summer for my family.

I sometimes feel like I am living a dream and my dad is only "on a business trip". It's weird my grandmother's just seems more real. Maybe it was because of her age (94) and she lived a great life.
My dad on the other hand was only 52 years old when he died. He should of had many more years with us. I just feel ALS robbed him and the whole family out of many, many years.

Sometimes I will be doing something and I will still get the urge to call my dad and tell him something my son did. He always enjoyed hearing about my son's activities.

It's just so hard....I guess even though I have my own family I still needed my dad. It hurts so bad and I just want to talk to him just one more time :(

I know how you feel, I lost my Dad at 52 as well... I was 17 when he died and I felt robbed.. I hate it when we lose our loved ones so young, I hope with each day you remember the good memories and the hurt will get less for you..

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad - ALS is a horrible disease - my DH lost his battle with it in January. Ironic, too - your father passed away on my husband's birthday. My "bonus" daughter - his daughter - feels the same as you do, like she's been robbed too soon of her parent. He was 57, she's 38. We;ve all been robbed of someone we loved dearly. Just remember, you were there for him when he needed you most. Be proud of that, I'm sure he is!:hug:

Thank you Elfstar for your kind words.

I am so sorry for your loss also.

Today would have been my dad's 53rd birthday :( So today is a little sad for me. I am missing him so much. All I want is to hear his voice....before ALS stole it from him.

I hate what ALS stole from him, from all of us! The disease is just so cruel :(

I just wish I could call my dad up and wish him a Happy Birthday :(

I will be keeping you in my thoughts today, jacksonsmom, and honoring the memory of your father on his birthday. Be gentle on yourself today. :hug:

Keep thinking positive. As time goes by, things will get a little easier. I love my dad last year and found out this a few months ago, my mother at the age of 58 has been diagnosed with a brain tumor.

Enjoy everything in life, enjoy every new thing that you do. He isn't far and I have no doubt in my mind you make him proud.

Keep your chin up :)

Just checking in to say I hope you're okay, we miss those we've lost more around the Holidays - I'm coping this year by trying to celebrate Jesus' birth and Jim's memory. If you need to talk, just pm me.

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.:hug::grouphug:

He fought it with bravery and never once pitied himself.

I am extremely sorry for the loss of your father. 53 is no different than 43 in my book. It is truly amazing how parents seem not to feel sorry for themselves. I'd better have kids soon, cause if I come down with something I'm going to be a severe basket-case for my wife.

Thank you for checking in.

I am doing OK....it's tough and I long to visit him. I always saw him on Christmas Eve, that was kind of "our" Holiday.

Although I miss him terribly, and at times I just long to talk to him, to see him again and sometimes that pain just rips right into my heart......but I WILL have a GREAT Christmas, for my son (his only grandchild) because I know my dad would want me too.
He would want us to have a wonderful, happy Christmas.
So for my dad, that is just want I am going to do, even though at times it will be hard

Hope everyone who is missing someone this Holiday season is doing as well as they can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter