My cousin creeped me out last night

Myothername

DIS Veteran
My aunt is very very ill and in CCU. I went last night to see her and while we were waiting for the visitation to start was talking with my mother, my cousin, "Tom" and his wife. My cousin, out of the blue, says Wow you get better looking the older you get. I was so embarrassed and tried to laugh it off saying I knew you were my favorite cousin but he just kept going on and on saying I was a little hotty. I was very uncomfortable and didn't know what to say. Had to spend the next hour or so there with them as we saw my aunt and then went to get a bite to eat in the cafeteria.

Would this have bothered you? I have not been close to this cousin because honestly he is a total jerk 95% of the time. His own kids don't like him. What do you think?

My aunt is very very ill and in CCU. I went last night to see her and while we were waiting for the visitation to start was talking with my mother, my cousin, "Tom" and his wife. My cousin, out of the blue, says Wow you get better looking the older you get. I was so embarrassed and tried to laugh it off saying I knew you were my favorite cousin but he just kept going on and on saying I was a little hotty. I was very uncomfortable and didn't know what to say. Had to spend the next hour or so there with them as we saw my aunt and then went to get a bite to eat in the cafeteria.

Would this have bothered you? I have not been close to this cousin because honestly he is a total jerk 95% of the time. His own kids don't like him. What do you think?

Have you changed drastically since the last time you saw him?

Sometimes people have a hard time "letting go". They go on and on about something and just don't have the ability to turn it off. This may be why he puts off so many people, including his children... it gets old after a while. Unfortunately it is a personality trait he may have, and his wife was probably rolling her eyes thinking, "Here he goes again, thank goodness he's not talking to me..." I'd forget about it.

ETA- Was it his mother in CCU? Maybe he was also nervous/upset about her illness. That would definitely exacerbate this "trait" he may have.

Well since you said he is a jerk I would have told him to shut his damn mouth.

Sometimes you just have to say, "Enough! I don't want to talk about this any more."

There are people who just don't get a hint, you have to tell them right out.

He sounds like he's got very poor social skills.

I guess I am crazy. I love compliments and just say thank you no matter who they are from. Maybe he was very nervous/upset about his mom and he was trying to take his mind off it for a bit???

LOL!

I have a cousin who had very awkward teenage years. My mother used to say “He’s going to be a handsome man someday!” and I remember being rather doubtful about that. But, she was right. He is handsome now. I don’t think I would never say anything about it to him (or anyone else), but I think of my mom's prediction every time I see him and my mom together.

Maybe the situation just brought back a memory. (But since he’s a jerk most of the time, maybe he was being a creepy jerk. I have a cousin like that, too – but it’s not the same cousin!)

Thanks for the responses. Glad to know I am not the only one it would bother. I don't think he was that nervous about his mother since she has been sickly for years. Everytime we think "this is it for Aunt Bee" she pulls out another miracle. And no I have not changed that much. If anything I have put on a few pounds. I don't know what prompted his comments but yes his wife was rolling her eyes and knew I was embarrassed. Unfortunately for the new week or so until she either gets better or dies I am going to have to be around him every day. :scared1:

Well since you said he is a jerk I would have told him to shut his damn mouth.

:rotfl: plus 1:lmao:, that is NOT something you say to someone you are related to! Could you imagine what he must have thinking will looking at you:scared1::rolleyes1. I pray that your aunty will get better. I would avoid being around your cousin by yourself at all times pirate:

On it's own, no... I don't really think it's that weird. Since you already think he's a jerk, maybe it is weird. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with saying it originally, and maybe he sensed that you were uncomfortable with it. Unfortunately, when I say something that makes me feel like I've stuck my mouth my reaction is to keep babbling. Damned if I know why that is, but I almost always make the situation worse!

Seems like everyone has that one relative that they try not to hug but who always insists on a hug. Sounds like he may be yours :scared:.

Seems like everyone has that one relative that they try not to hug but who always insists on a hug. Sounds like he may be yours :scared:.

This is SO my BFF's Husband - I try to time my visits when I know he will be gone! (Luckily she lives out of state and I only see her a couple of times a year.) He totally creeps me out! The hug is tight and goes on way too long! :scared1:

eww...yes, I actually had that happen this week with a client (not my cousin though). I was a bit shocked. I've been cutting this man's hair for about 20 yrs! *shivers*

I hope your aunt pulls through!

My cousin is schizophrenic and consistently stares at my breasts when he sees me. So, it could be worse. ;)

My cousin is schizophrenic and consistently stares at my breasts when he sees me. So, it could be worse. ;)

LOL - on my wedding day I was wearing a corset contraption that had me well on display. My cousin was staring and asked me what I was wearing under my dress that made "them" look like that 'cause he wanted to get one for his girlfriend (who was standing beside him and gave him a solid smack). I told him and explained how it worked, after which he started to blush. I figured that was enough punishment and left him to his girlfriend.

If you already see this cousin as a jerk, he has just cemented your view. Sorry you have to deal with him over the next few days. If he starts again the next time you see him maybe tell him that you mentioned his "compliments" to your DH / SO? and that he "agrees completely - thanks!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter