• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Christmas gift from my p/t workplace.....

Sometimes nothing is better than something!

I would be so embarrassed to give my hard working staff such a gift. I wonder who thought this up?

Oh well, hope you enjoyed the little tasty treat. :cake:

Okay, now this is very strange..... I took a closer look at the cellophane wrapper because it looked like there was something written on it. I am not kidding-the letters spell out B-A-D, and then there are some numbers after . I think I'll pass on eating them for now......

Okay, this beats my weirdest (read: cheapest) company Christmas gift ever. One spring, they had us all - maybe 80 people? - pose in front of the building and took a picture for our holiday catalog.

Yep. For Christmas, we each got our very own copy of that photograph. Really tough decision - take it home and show everyone the odd 'gift', or leave it on the table in protest? Any rate, that was the last year they gave us anything :rotfl2:

That's just insulting to the staff. Oh, and tastykakes USED to be good...like 15 years ago. Now their just awful.

You have to send this to http://trulyhideousgifts.blogspot.com/ I think this gift would fit right in.

I would rather get nothing than a 2 pack of cupcakes. That's just insulting.

At one job that I worked at, for the Christmas party everyone got gifts unless you had been there less than a year. Which was me and one other person. Everyone around us was unwrapping a present and we just had to sit there. I thought that was very insulting. They could have given us a token gift (NOT cupcakes :) ). But to have everyone else open in front of us was really off-putting. Glad they laid me off the next August :thumbsup2

The worst I got was a $5 gift certificate to spend at Food Lion TOWARD THE PURCHASE OF A TURKEY. Of course, I have had other places give me nothing.

Sometimes nothing is better than something!

I would be so embarrassed to give my hard working staff such a gift. I wonder who thought this up?

Oh well, hope you enjoyed the little tasty treat. :cake:

I'm with you. Don't give a crappy gift, it's embarrassing for everyone.

I worked in a small hospital several years ago where the Director of Nursing was in charge of buying gifts for the 50 or so staff members of the hospital. She bought each of us a 10-lb giant peppermint stick! Said she spent $5 on each of them. :sad2: What a waste of money. This thing was hard as a brick; if it fell off the table it would break your foot. And really, what do you do with 10-lbs of peppermint. I always thought that if she had spent that $5/employee on a reception the staff would have felt more appreciated.

I remember a few years ago, at the hospital I work at, the secretary to the director of my unit got a small gift, from this director (her boss), from the hospital gift shop (Yep, she, the secretary, saw it there...something like a Christmas mug, or something like that....smallish and inexpensive)...Anyway, what made it really awful, was that this same director, the next day, gave this girl (the secretary) the receipt for the gift, so that she could submit it to petty cash....so that the director ( the girls boss) could be reimbursed for the money!!!!!

She, the secretary was sooo mad, she was telling everyone...:rotfl2:

Karen

one year I was working for a distributor of surgical equip. to orthopedics and sports bracing. The owner gave us a plastic cup from his son's hockey team filled 2/3 with tissue paper and topped off with 5 or so mini chocolates!!!! There were only four of us in the office...cheapskate!!!:sad2::rotfl:

OP, I wouldn't eat them either (purely on principle ;)).
My bosses really don't show us any appreciation at the holidays either.
This will be my 4th Christmas here and so far this is what we've gotten each year:
2006 ~ work shirts (OK, I still have this and actually thought this was practical if not thoughtful).
2007 ~ the bosses got a flat screen TV for the breakroom (guess who gets the most use out of that one, LOL)
2008 ~ we got a water dispenser for the breakroom (about 50% of the time there are no full water bottles, so we still bring our own drinks to work)
2009 ~ haven't heard yet but I'm definitely curious ;)

I do like my job...I just find some of the practices a bit off. :)

We used to get really nice gifts when I started working for AT&T--we got heavy winter coats (logoed, but still) one year, for example. It's still the warmest coat I own.

The year they started doing a lot of layoffs (sometime ca. 2001-02) and we were getting ready to move offices as the lease on the current one had expired, we all got plants. Half-dead plants. Plants that used to festoon the office out of which we were planning to move and which probably would have been trashed anyway had they not been "recycled" for these thoughtful gifts. All of us lol'ed. I think the humor was like a bonus gift with purchase.

I am speechless. That is beyond tacky for an employee to think passing out a twin pack is a gift(what does that cost .50?)

Wow, cupcakes. Big spenders you got there. If it were me, I would just find it so insulting. I think I would reather get nothing, that that.

OK, I know I can't be alone on this one. Anyone else wanting to know the name of the company she works for? :confused3

Do you plan on continuing to work there? If not I would send them back with some sort of note like "You won the tackiest gift award" That is waaaaaaaay beyond weird!!

Jill

I worked part-time for a catalog company one year and we didn't get a gift . However, in the new catalog the write up talked about how we the employees got some great break room gift(the one that was for sale in the catalog) along with our Christmas bonus. We didn't get anything, In fact we would have to pay for our coffee if we wanted any . They lied to all the customers who got the catalog. I guess they wanted our customers to think we were treated so well...:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter