My Chistmas Wish-A small town white Christmas

I love Hallmark Christmas movies. However, I’m not sure what your family actually wants. Most of these are either filmed out west or in Canada in the summer with fake snow. The external shots can be from anywhere even Atlanta, which doesn’t really get snow.

Can you name off some of the movies that really capture what you’re looking for?

You might want to head to Canada to make sure you actually get a white Christmas. Even as far north as Chicago, it’s not always a given that they get snow for Christmas.

Also, have you guys driven in snow?

https://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/
Smugglers Notch is in Northern Vermont. I believe most go in the winter to ski/snowboard, but they also have many weekly activities, such as, Winter Carnival andTorch Light Parade & Fireworks.
We own a condo at Smugglers Notch and it is wonderful. It is great for a family and has tons of family activities. I will say though and I know you know this but you can never guarantee a White Christmas. 4 years ago we spent Christmas there and no snow other than what was made and even that was limited because it rained so much that winter.

I don't know if Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge will have snow down in town but likely have it on the peak of Smoky Mountains. I cannot say enough about Dreams Lodge with Dollywood Amusement park. It's great family friendly hotel with games and fireplaces and activities for children. There are firepits for free smore making and nightly bedtime stories for those that can still appreciate it. There is a great restaurant on site or very easy driving to town. You can see shows out on the main strip and there big Christmas lights display as well.

Another option I thought of was The Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT. They aren't really a ski lodge as it's about 20 minute drive or so to skiing. Lots family friendly activities and pretty for the holidays. I'm not familiar with it personally but have had friends stay there for a holiday as their children had never had a white Christmas.

I agree with Tina that it is very unlikely there will be snow in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg but up in the mountains the likelihood is greater. But there wasn't any snow up in the mountains even when we were there at christmas year before last so if snow is deal-breaker for you then you will need to consider that.

And I fully agree about the DreamMore resort at Dollywood! We stayed there for the first time a few weeks ago and we all LOVED it! Definitely will be going back to stay there next time we are in the area. We have season passes to Dollywood and take long weekend trips there every couple months. There are so many lodging options available in the area that work well for us that we hadn't gotten around to staying at that resort but that was a mistake. I like it much better even than having our own cabin or condo which is saying something because we like to have our space while traveling. Just a really nice resort.

I vote for Jackson, NH. A very quaint New England town in the White Mountains in NH. They have lots of rentals if you want to go that way or you can stay at the Christmas Farm Inn. They have cabins all named with a Christmas name. They have a great spa and yummy included breakfast. North Conway is close to Jackson and they have lots of shops, outlets, restaurants.
https://christmasfarminn.com/
Santas Village might be a fun thing to do too depending on the ages on the kids.

Good luck!

I vote for Jackson, NH. A very quaint New England town in the White Mountains in NH. They have lots of rentals if you want to go that way or you can stay at the Christmas Farm Inn. They have cabins all named with a Christmas name. They have a great spa and yummy included breakfast. North Conway is close to Jackson and they have lots of shops, outlets, restaurants.
https://christmasfarminn.com/
Santas Village might be a fun thing to do too depending on the ages on the kids.

Good luck!
This is also a very good pick. We got engaged in Jackson. Santa's Village can be very fun at Christmas time. Open just a select few days. Can also be very very cold. I know that in that area at that time of year if there is snow there are sleigh rides, dog sledding, snowmobiling available.

STOWE MOUNTAIN LODGE in Stowe, Vermont. The place is absolutely beautiful. Even though you don't ski - no worries. There is a lot to do around the cute, quaint, snowy town of Stowe. I did a few work events at this lodge during the holidays and it is so pretty. I'm sure they would work with you in setting up cookies to ice, a tree in your room, etc. I had my DD's Sweet 16 party up there 10 years ago (wow time flies) and they went over and beyond for us to make it extra special.

Also in Stowe is: The Stoweflake Resort, Trapp Family Lodge and Smugglers Notch Resort. Smugglers Notch has a great snow tubing area - so even though you don't ski try out the snow tubes!

Let me know if I can help with any other info.
Thank you!

This is also a very good pick. We got engaged in Jackson. Santa's Village can be very fun at Christmas time. Open just a select few days. Can also be very very cold. I know that in that area at that time of year if there is snow there are sleigh rides, dog sledding, snowmobiling available.
Awesome and congratulations

Pigeon forge is fun but you may or may not get snow and it's not small town, or not what I think about when you say hallmark small town. There is shopping outlets and dinner shows, and crazy fun attractions like the titanic museum. Not small town.

I love Hallmark Christmas movies. However, I’m not sure what your family actually wants. Most of these are either filmed out west or in Canada in the summer with fake snow. The external shots can be from anywhere even Atlanta, which doesn’t really get snow.

Can you name off some of the movies that really capture what you’re looking for?

You might want to head to Canada to make sure you actually get a white Christmas. Even as far north as Chicago, it’s not always a given that they get snow for Christmas.

Also, have you guys driven in snow?
Christmas in Evergreen
Christmas at holly lodge
Those 2 came to mind first.
Its been a decade or so but yes we have driven in snow and ice. It wouldn't be the best part of the trip but its doable.

Banff is super nice. And the downtown area is really nice to walk around. It snowed on me when I was there in Sept last year.
::yes:: Yep. There's about 1' there now. The ski hills are already open. It's snowing here today too and 12F, but it will likely smarten up a bit again temporarily before Christmas. :wave2:

I grew up in the mountains near Pigeon Forge. We had a white Christmas maybe two or three times in 30 years. Go to the Appalachian mountains in the fall to see the color. Go north at Christmas if you want snow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter