My checking account was hacked

ceemys

DIS Veteran
I just want to give a friendly warning to check your accounts.

My bank called me this past Sunday asking me if I made a lot of purchases lately. I said yes because I was preparing for my trip. Come to find out that they deactivated my card 15 minutes later. I went online to see what was up and I had $477 charged to my debit card from London UK!! Some Lloyds Pharmacy. Thank goodness the Loss Prevention department is on top of the accounts and monitoring where the charges are made. Then I find out today that my friend had hers hacked also! She banks at another bank and her charges were within the US but another state and for $4500!

I hope everyone's account is good.

ETA: The fraudulent charges were made between Sunday, 10 and 10:30 am, they called me at noon and my card was deactivated at 12:15

Good advice. I bank with USAA, and I think most banks have something similar now, but I get a daily balance text to my phone, and I have charge ammount limits setup to receive alerts as well. There have been times I have forgotten about things, so it is helpful just from the standpoint of keeping track of your spending, and of course the added security/piece of mind.

Glad they were on top of it.

I only keep enough in my checking to pay the bills / groceries. Then I transfer the rest to savings and opted out of overdraft protection. So on average, I only have $15 in there for them to get, anything higher would be denied. I don't have my savings linked to my debit card. Even though it offers the same protection as a cc, I feel better if they can't get at the bulk of my money period.

:scared1: I am sorry that happened to you. DH had his X-box live account hacked this morning and they managed to rack up $200 worth of charges. we are getting it sorted out but it is still scary!

Same thing happened to us today. Got a call this morning from our Credit Union, DHs ATM card was compromised. A charge for $300+ came in this morning from Europe followed by a $1500+ one. :scared1: They denied the $1500 charge since it's over our daily limit (thank goodness) and emailed paperwork to DH for the other charge. His card was stopped immediately too which he found out the hard way, denied at check-out but we were happy they were so quick to stop things before all our money was gone.

So wish we could track down the scoundrel that lifted his info. :mad:

:scared1: I am sorry that happened to you. DH had his X-box live account hacked this morning and they managed to rack up $200 worth of charges. we are getting it sorted out but it is still scary!

Good luck with that, it happens all the time and takes Microsoft forever to get the account sorted out.
It's either best to use gift cards you can buy in the store, or a credit card with a $300 limit that you can close if you need to.

Our checking account was hacked last year after my DH and DSs World of Warcraft account was hacked. Our bank was great and the money was replaced within 1 week.

We buy the prepaid game card at Walmart or Gamestop now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter