My checking account was cleared out...

SeedsLuvDisney

Mouseketeer
About $800, talked to the bank and they are printing up things so we can file a fraud report with Visa.. Our card number was used on two purchases in Malaysia, who gets stuck with this.. us, the bank or VISA???

:hug: I am so sorry this happened to you!

Hopefully the bank will take care of it, but I don't know for sure.

Wow, oh wow!

It may take a while to restore your funds but you should be covered by Visa's protection policy.

I hope that your bank helps you by waving any overdraft fees in the meantime. Keep us posted!

Basically is your bank will do a chargeback to Visa. Visa, in turn will do a chargeback to the bank that originated the transaction and they will then go after the merchant.

Wow, oh wow!

It may take a while to restore your funds but you should be covered by Visa's protection policy.

I hope that your bank helps you by waving any overdraft fees in the meantime. Keep us posted!

The last outstanding check we had cleared this morning, the bank has said they will waive the fees, so thats good.. But we are still $103 overdrawn and payday is not until next Thursday..

What makes this bad is that our savings is down to nothing, we just redid our bathroom and because of a few problems the cost of the project was $5K over budget when we got done, so thats where our savings went...

Looks like we might have to bust our Disney jar wide open to get by...:rotfl:

I've worked at several banks/credit unions and most of the time the bank eats it. Like a PP said they can go after the merchant but most of the time there's nothing they can do (especially if the criminal has done a decent job at covering their tracks and the merchant has followed procedures). I've never seen a customer take a hit (although my credit union has had so many people claiming not to do transactions (some so that they can get the money back) that now they charge the customer $100 if they are found to have actually done the transaction, I don't know how much research they put into that though).

I had my purse stolen before and my account cleared out (not through an ATM through gas and grocery purchases of hundreds of dollars in the 2 hours before I found out and cancelled the card). It took about 3 days to get the money back.

And that's one of the reasons I use a credit card instead of a debit card. I'm sure that at the end of the day (theoretically speaking of course) that the bank will make your account "whole" and return the balance to what it should be. But, I'd much rather have fraudulent activity hit my credit account than my cash account. There's time to react on credit, where as debit takes my money right away.

FWIW, my credit cards have been hit several times by fraudulent activity. The credit card company has always been on top of it (many times catching the activity before we did) and we've never been out a penny.

And that's one of the reasons I use a credit card instead of a debit card. I'm sure that at the end of the day (theoretically speaking of course) that the bank will make your account "whole" and return the balance to what it should be. But, I'd much rather have fraudulent activity hit my credit account than my cash account. There's time to react on credit, where as debit takes my money right away.

FWIW, my credit cards have been hit several times by fraudulent activity. The credit card company has always been on top of it (many times catching the activity before we did) and we've never been out a penny.

Same here. No debit cards in our house, ever, for this very reason.

OP, I'm sorry this happened and hope the bank can get it straightened around for you quickly.

My debit card/account number was stolen once and they spent $700 or $800 on my card. I was able to get all of my money returned to me but I have no idea if they ever caught who did it. The bank took the hit.

Happened to me too! 200.00 @ a in African resort! Hello I don;t even have a passport!LOL! It took a week to get it back but all I had to due was call the bank. Sorry know how you feel I dont use my debit unless really have too!

About $800, talked to the bank and they are printing up things so we can file a fraud report with Visa.. Our card number was used on two purchases in Malaysia, who gets stuck with this.. us, the bank or VISA???

OMG :eek:
If things are not difficult enough for people, this FRAUD is just icing on the cake, so Sorry to hear this happened to you:grouphug:

I hope your bank/visa whatever gets to the bottom and returns you to you Pre-Fraud financial situation!

Security and theft are so darn scary...I use that triple alert service for our credit reports and get monthly updates. As far as banking, I hope that since I use a decent large bank, THEY too are watching, but I literally am checking our accounts at least once a week.

Best of Luck getting thru this "bump" in the road!!! :wizard: :grouphug:

Wow -- your bank is not putting the money in your account? That's awful.

My VISA debit card was stolen last year, and Wachovia credited the money back to my account while I was online with the fraud department. They also did the same thing while they investigate the one time I questioned a VISA charge. I feel totally comfortable using my debit card b/c I know Wachovia will take care of any problem. I can only hope that doesn't change as they b/c more immersed in the Wells Fargo culture.

so sorry.. we had a paypal issue in July and I had to close a bank account, 3 debit cards and 2 credit cards that were linked.. this am I received a phishing from probably the same guy saying he was from BOA- I had already cancelled that card in july.. I forwarded it to BOA and they agreed.. scary stuff..

I think it is a VISA policy that your money has to be refunded back into your account immediatly under the fraud protection for VISA. As long as your debit card has the VISA logo on it and is not just a debit card.

I think it is a VISA policy that your money has to be refunded back into your account immediatly under the fraud protection for VISA. As long as your debit card has the VISA logo on it and is not just a debit card.

I was just going to post the same thing. If your bank doesn't rectify it immediately, I would contact Visa. Good luck!!

My question is where did you use it in the past week?

When our cc was comprised, I had made an online purchase for my son at EA games.

Our bank caught it because all charges were orginating overseas....Paris, France., London, England and one other country I can't recall.

Hope everything turns out ok.
This is exactly why I use credit cards and not a debit card.

I know what people mean when they say they use credit cards but to be clear a Visa check card is not a debit card. They really are two separate things. A debit card you use a PIN to make a transaction (which I would imagine would prevent more theft as the thief/criminal would have to have your PIN to make a transaction, but I don't believe they're accepted for use everywhere like Visa is). A check card you do not have to have a PIN to use. I don't use my check card anymore either after my purse was stolen.

I do like that more and more gas stations are requiring a zip code entry before pumping with a credit card (or check card). At least around here anyways. Good luck OP! I hope it all works out for you.

Happened to me too! 200.00 @ a in African resort! Hello I don;t even have a passport!LOL! It took a week to get it back but all I had to due was call the bank. Sorry know how you feel I dont use my debit unless really have too!

I just got cleared out recently from Botswana - and the charges were mostly from African resorts too!

It took 2 weeks to get my money back...

We had someone hit our debit one time for 2 transactions totalling $800. The $$$ went to Finland. It took my bank 2 months to restore my acoount! This all happened during the time we were cruising on the Wonder! Thank God I keep extra emergencies funds in our account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter