My cats are destroying my tree!

Family Fun Mom

<font color=green>No longer tagless... my wit has
I can't keep my cats away from my Christmas tree! Last year it got so bad that we just gave up. We stopped putting the ornaments back on the tree. As they were knocked off, we just put them back in their boxes. They were kittens last year and had all that kitten energy. They broke so many things, it was terrible. I thought this year might be better because they are older and calmer. NOT!

Not only are they still destroying my tree, one keeps eating it. And it's an artificial tree!:scared1: She vomited four times last night because of it. :sick: I have had this tree up for one day and I already just want to take it down.

Any tips to help me keep these demons away from my tree?

I guess the room the tree is in can't be closed off?

I've never tried this, but I heard it on a show. Sprinkle pepper on the lower branches of the tree. When the sniff it, it will bother them. They won't go back. Good luck!

You could spray it with repellent a few times to see if that at least slows them down. They sound stubborn though.

I feel so fortunate! My cats ignored our tree, thank goodness.

My two think the tree is for them. They're 9 and 11 and the kitten in them comes out them minute they spot it.

We've put non-breakable ornaments on the bottom of the tree and no tinsel or garland. We still spend a lot of time picking up ornaments (the other day one was hiding his treasure. he kept covering it up with his paws/body whenever we got close enough to get it back).

As for eating it, I'm not sure what to do, but I'm sure other DISers will have some suggestions!

Our cat did this 2 years ago. We decided to get a real tree and she won't even go near it now.

You could spray it with repellent a few times to see if that at least slows them down. They sound stubborn though.

I feel so fortunate! My cats ignored our tree, thank goodness.

If you have it in the house, a light spray of bath & body scents works will typically keep my cats away from anything I don't want scratched up. I do need to re-apply it every few days though. It might work on your tree.

I also have concentrated nutmeg oil that works like a charm but takes more effort to apply and will stain fabrics. Or perhaps hang some cinnamon scented ornaments near the bottom branches.

I would spray my cat w/a water bottle whenever she'd start playing with it, then put the water bottle under the tree, after a couple of times of that, if I reached for the bottle, she'd run. Now she sits under the tree for her nap, but doesnt play with the branches or ornaments

good luck!

I had the same problem. I put up my tree on Sunday evening and Sunday night the cats knocked it over. I went to wal-mart and bought some Stay-Off Spray. It stinks when you put it on but it seemed to do the job. During the day/evening when someone is home we just spray them with a spray bottle when they get near it and before bed spray the tree with the stay off stuff. They haven't bothered that tree since. We put up the big tree last night and immediately sprayed it with the stuff. Its still standing. Maybe try to get something like that. I was worried I wasn't going to have a tree this year but luckily they're both still standing and intact.

We had this prob a few years ago; just get a squirt bottle-fill w water-and squirt. I use the squirt bottle tactic to keep them off my counters-I hate that!:headache: So, they know when they see it.

Luckily, my kitty is not interested in Christmas trees beyond the initial sniffing.

Not only are they still destroying my tree, one keeps eating it. And it's an artificial tree!:scared1: She vomited four times last night because of it. :sick: I have had this tree up for one day and I already just want to take it down.

Any tips to help me keep these demons away from my tree?

I think my cat's favorite part of the holidays is his temporary faux-tree-induced bulimia. Grrrrrrrr.

I feel your pain. We didn't put our tee up last year, and it looks like we won't have a tree this year, either.

One of our cats is just an evil demon cat. She is 18 months old but she is CONSTANTLY running and jumping and clawing.

The other one is calm and looks perfectly harmless but she has an intense love of electrical wiring. Christmas light wires are a special delicacy in her book.

I am not sure we will ever have a tree again. :confused3

Anything decoration in our house that has any artificial pine on it my cats seek out and chew up. Everyone I know who has an artificial tree has a pet that chews on it and much worse! I have a real tree and the cats sniff it and then leave it alone. When they were younger they would try to play in it, so I put fresh orange peels under it and they did NOT like the smell of those!

my cat was like that the first year. He would climb it and knock off the ornaments. He even would bite into the lights.
Then the second year we put up the tree and no ornaments. He climbed it knocked it over and scared himself. So he no longer climbs it.
Now he has a spot he will sleep and if you put wrapped gifts there he will unwrap them for you.:rotfl2:

Good luck.

Anything decoration in our house that has any artificial pine on it my cats seek out and chew up. Everyone I know who has an artificial tree has a pet that chews on it and much worse! I have a real tree and the cats sniff it and then leave it alone. When they were younger they would try to play in it, so I put fresh orange peels under it and they did NOT like the smell of those!

Oooh, great idea! I might try making little "ornaments" out of the orange peels and hang them on or near the branches he usually gnaws on and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!!

We used to spray our cats with water and it usually worked after a few days.

The only problem is when they wait till it's night and you're asleep to have their holiday fun. I can't tell you how many times I've been awakened by that awful pre-barfing sound.

I feel very lucky. My cats just like to snooze under it. We have beautiful velvet tree skirt. Before Santa comes I have to remove the chunks of fur that seem to have woven themselve in to the velvet.

OP - have you tried aluminum foil? I know some people have luck with it keeping cats off the furniture, although I have no idea how you would put foil on a tree....

My friend's cat would be in their tree before they were even finished putting it up! They'd get half way done, turn around to get the second half to put on top, turn back and there was kitty on one of the branches, looking at them saying "Hey, thanks for the great cat toy!!!".

They were lucky, kitty just wanted to climb and perch, she didn't want to eat it and for the most part, left the ornaments alone. They tried a few things to discourage her, but nothing ever worked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter