• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

my boss asked me to change my vaca yesterday,ack!

abmitch01

DIS Veteran
I;m a hospice home care case manager in an office that's had a ton of turnover. Another nurse quit and her last day is the Friday before my two week vacation. So my boss asked if I could go earlier or later. I did look up the airfare and it's $1600 more, I'm not doing that. I didn't even bother looking up the hotel. DD and I have done so much planning, I can't imagine starting over. Plus, school starts soon after we get back and she can't miss school. I try to be a team player but I told my boss about the airfare and that I couldn't change. She seemed ok with it. I have no idea how she is going to cover my caseload and the nurse's who quit but vacation is vacation. I feel bad but this trip is important to us

I;m a hospice home care case manager in an office that's had a ton of turnover. Another nurse quit and her last day is the Friday before my two week vacation. So my boss asked if I could go earlier or later. I did look up the airfare and it's $1600 more, I'm not doing that. I didn't even bother looking up the hotel. DD and I have done so much planning, I can't imagine starting over. Plus, school starts soon after we get back and she can't miss school. I try to be a team player but I told my boss about the airfare and that I couldn't change. She seemed ok with it. I have no idea how she is going to cover my caseload and the nurse's who quit but vacation is vacation. I feel bad but this trip is important to us

If the boss is okay with it, you should be fine. It is a reality these days with so many businesses with too little staff. If you were on jury duty, or sick, they would have to find a way to cover, and the same for a vacation that has so much money riding on it. Maybe your boss can cover your caseload. But bottom line, it isn't your problem.

My Uncle was a manager of a lot of people and had to step up and cover for them from time to time. He said it gave him insight into the issues his staff faced and the work they did. The only bad thing was for employees who weren't carrying their weight.......because if a manager could cover their duties easily, it kind of raised the question what the employee was doing with their time.

Surely they have to understand that you have booked things and sometimes they cannot be changed. Enjoy your vacation!

Yeah, airfare alone is a great reason not to switch. Once money has been paid out for a vacation, it's hard to just change things instantly. I think as long as you gave a fair reason as to why you can't change, she should be accepting of it. Have a great trip!

I am very lucky, I work for a company that can and will cancel vacations if staffing is a priority. Iwas surprised she didn't cancel mine. I think at this pint they can't stand to lose another nurse and they were afraid I'd leave!

I'm a hospice RN too. If they canceled my vacation, I'd be looking for a new job when I returned from vacation. No way do they get to mess with my life like that.

If my job asked me to cancel a vacation involving plane tickets, they'd be paying everyone's change fee and rebooking price or it wouldn't happen.

I think she knew if she canceled me, I'd be the next one out the door and I've been there 10 years and 22 years for the whole company. She would've been stuck with a bunch of newbies.

I really hate how companies can get away with canceling vacation (not every company does this, of course). Isn't that part of YOUR compensation package?

I think she knew if she canceled me, I'd be the next one out the door and I've been there 10 years and 22 years for the whole company. She would've been stuck with a bunch of newbies.

I really hate how companies can get away with canceling vacation (not every company does this, of course). Isn't that part of YOUR compensation package?

In a lot companies these days that would put a target on your back. They don't want long timers who earn top scale and get the maximum vacation. Experience is a liability.

Most company policies specify that vacation dates are subject to change......in our handbook it says "subject to the needs of the company".

that's true, maybe she wants all newbies

I stay there for the years I have in but when you think about it, how many nurses do you know still working at 65? It scares me

I stay there for the years I have in but when you think about it, how many nurses do you know still working at 65? It scares me

I assumed they had been compensated well for everything they do and put up with and had already retired.. please don't burst my bubble!! :lmao:

Yeah, I hear you.
That can be said for a lot of careers...

A lot of employers these days want someone with the wisdom of a 50 year-old, the experience of a 40 year-old, the drive of a 30 year-old, and the pay scale of a 20 year-old.

I feel your pain - I'm a full-time student, but DH has a very stressful high level job and they are about to complete a huge last minute project. We planned our vacation about 5 months ago and NOW they tell him they need him to work on this immediate due date. He had to justify the cost of flights, hotels, etc., and the fact that this is the only time of year that I can go on vacation. I just hope he won't be completely stressed about it the whole trip, but I know he'll be on email and may have to do a conference call or two while we're away.

In other countries they honor employee's rights to take a vacation. My cousins in The Netherlands get 5 weeks off a year! It seems that many companies make their employees feel guilty about taking time off that was earned and deserved.

I hope you can put work aside and have a great time with your DD!!

That totally stinks. I have been there before. Is your airfare with someone like SWA? Is it refundable?

Otherwise, I would raise a stink and do what you did - refuse to change. It is only a week and you can think up things to do to help her in advance. You have been there a while - you will be able to come up with at least a few things to help.

In fairness to you boss, it sounded as though she asked whether it was possible, and didn't try to demand that you cover.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm guessing she figured it was worth a shot.

You are 65? Are you planning on retirement soon?

It is often a "paper" benefit, in our experience - sure, they'll talk up the vacation time when you hire in but that doesn't mean you'll actually be able to take it. Even before the recession, DH's former employer imposed so many limitations on employee vacations that no one on the bottom half of the seniority ladder could get time approved (and even then it was subject to cancellation if someone quit or got hurt and you were needed). The one and only job he's had working for someone else since then was more honest about it - they offer paid vacation but explained up front that it was "subject to workload demands" and that most people used it for a day here and there to attend kids' activities, go to the doctor, etc. because taking a full week is "rarely possible".

OP, it sounds like your boss is being entirely reasonable. She asked, you refused and explained why, she accepted your response. That's better than you'd get from a lot of employers these days.

I wouldn't feel guilty. They always cry short staffing but it is really the almighty dollar that they are worried about.

Take your vacation. I'm sure they can find a traveler or agency nurse to fill in for a bit. At any rate, you can always find another job, I'm sure. Nursing is great like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter