• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My best friend shocked me by breaking the law openly!

Is it illegal to be on the phone period or is it illegal to be on a handheld phone. Where I live and drive (2 state area) handhelds are illegal but hands free is fine.

In Ontario, it is illegal for drivers to talk, text, type, dial or email using hand-held cell phones and other hand-held communications and entertainment devices (http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/distracted-driving.shtml). Per the same page:

What's hands-free?

Any device that you do not touch, hold or manipulate while driving, other than to activate or deactivate it. For example, actions such as dialing or scrolling through contacts, or manually programming a GPS device are not allowed.

Exemptions
You can still use hand-held devices while driving in a few cases:
  • in a vehicle pulled off the roadway or lawfully parked
  • to make a 911 call
  • transmitting or receiving voice communication on a two-way, CB or mobile radio (hand-mikes and portable radios like walkie-talkies require a lapel button or other hands-free accessory)

According to media coverage of the recent increase in penalties (they increased Sept 1), the new penalty is now CAD$490 PLUS 3 demerit points; novice drivers also get a minimum 30 day licence suspension for the first conviction, longer for subsequent convictions.

Apparently it is expected that unless the upward trend changes, in Ontario the number of fatalities caused by distracted driving will exceed those caused by impaired driving in 2016. Already over half of accidents are caused by distracted driving.

-SW

She's your best friend and you felt more appropriate asking strangers on the internet instead of talking to her about this? Will you be receptive if a discussion with her reveals she doesn't feel you are observant when backing up or watchful of the traffic around you when driving? What if she reveals she is uncomfortable you are breaking the law by exceeding the posted speed limit?

What's hands-free?

Any device that you do not touch, hold or manipulate while driving, other than to activate or deactivate it. For example, actions such as dialing or scrolling through contacts, or manually programming a GPS device are not allowed.
I'd hope that doesn't include the iPhone/iPod remote that have attached to my steering wheel with a velcro strap. Technically it's a separate device, but it's designed for steering wheel attachment. I use it to pause my audiobooks when I get into traffic that requires higher attention.

I also don't understand how this is different from when I drove this morning talking to my husband in the passenger seat and drinking from my water bottle at the same time. In both cases I had only one hand on the wheel, one hand up near my head and was listening to someone else which would be taking some of my attention.

I know that in the case of the driver who hit us it was a case of being VISUALY distracted. like you I can drive while talking to a passenger in the car, and drink from my water bottle or commuter mug-but these don't entail me taking my eyes off the road (my cup holder is right next to me so I don't even have to glance down to get it/put it back). I just plain don't like using a phone when driving even in our new car that has the do-hickey that auto syncs with the phone for hands free b/c when it rings my inclination is to glance to the display panel to see who the caller is which distracts me from paying attention to the road. so...I have what my family/friends consider odd little ringtones assigned to each of them so if I'm driving and I hear my cell phone ring I know by the sound who it is and if it's someone I need to pull off the road and park to talk to (basically if someone's not important enuf they get the same default ring tone that any unknown/new callers have, and hearing that sound from my phone means it's nothing urgent enough to pull over).

And screaming kids in the car?

I still don't understand why none of the auto manufacturers have figured out the money they would rake in if they offered the option of putting those sound proof privacy windows like limos have between the front and passenger seats. if they had been offered when my kids were little I SO would have scraped together the money to get one.

I can drive while talking to a passenger in the car, and drink from my water bottle or commuter mug-but these don't entail me taking my eyes off the road (my cup holder is right next to me so I don't even have to glance down to get it/put it back).
Like you, I don't take my eyes off the road when talking to passengers. But many people do. Worse was a recent "We're picking daughter up from school and surprising her by heading right to WDW" video, where the driver not only turned to look at the camera but, being a hand-talker, kept removing his hands from the wheel. (I think it was in the GoPro thread, but I really don't want to pick on individual posters. I shiver when I see drivers turning to talk while driving.)

I can drive while talking to a passenger in the car, and drink from my water bottle or commuter mug-but these don't entail me taking my eyes off the road

I don't take my eyes off the road when talking to passengers.
And many people can talk on the phone while keeping their eyes on the road.

I'm going to be honest, even if I'm not talking (on the phone or to someone in the car), RARELY is my focus 100% on the road. I'm thinking about what's going on at work, what the kids need to do for school, how to get them to practices and games, what's for dinner, when am I going to mow the lawn, etc. If you guys can keep your attention 100% on driving 100% of the time, I give you credit.

Curious, the posters all up in arms, when you drive, are both your hands at the 10 and 2 positions on the wheel, seat positioned to keep you in the most up right seated position, constantly looking forward, glancing left, then right and into the mirrors? Headlights on for added visibility and to better be seen by other drivers? Proper temperatures within the cab area so as not to cause drowsiness? Do you wait at least 30 minutes before entering the water after you eat?

Wait, are you the person driving in front of me that applies your brakes when another vehicle, four blocks up, applies their brakes? Are you also the one playing traffic cop/pace car in the left lane?

You know what is distracting? Driving with my best friend in the car! lol. We laughed so hard once, I nearly crashed.

While I joke, I believe there's some truth in that. I don't think simply talking on a cell phone is anymore distracting than the thousands of other things that you can while driving. I do it myself without a shred of guilt.

Curious, the posters all up in arms, when you drive, are both your hands at the 10 and 2 positions on the wheel, seat positioned to keep you in the most up right seated position .....

Yes and Yes.

10 & 2 is the best position to hold a folded up USA Today - and an upright position is best to access all the cup holders and to keep your breakfast sandwich cradled in your lap when you have to set it down to light up a smoke.

I use Bluetooth exclusively for my phone. Too much going on to screw around with trying to free up a hand for every single phone call.

Curious, the posters all up in arms, when you drive, are both your hands at the 10 and 2 positions on the wheel, seat positioned to keep you in the most up right seated position, constantly looking forward, glancing left, then right and into the mirrors? Headlights on for added visibility and to better be seen by other drivers? Proper temperatures within the cab area so as not to cause drowsiness? Do you wait at least 30 minutes before entering the water after you eat?

Wait, are you the person driving in front of me that applies your brakes when another vehicle, four blocks up, applies their brakes? Are you also the one playing traffic cop/pace car in the left lane?
I rarely drive with both hands on the wheel. It isn't comfortable at all.

I prefer steering with my knee. That allows my hands to be free to hold my sandwich in one and my phone in the other

Sandwich, oh come on. That's weak. You can do better than that. How about a bowl of soup or spaghetti and meatballs? Even the PP's reply of pancakes and sausage. Up your game TAX GUY!

:P

I don't think that holding a phone and talking is as dangerous as drunk driving.

I use my handsfree because my car connects to my phone automatically and I don't like holding a phone to my ear in the car or not.

But I think there are things way more distracting than talking on a phone while driving. Just today I had a near miss, quick react because some crazy billboard caught my eye and I tried to read it and the person in front of me stopped where it wasn't expected.

Maybe they should make billboards illegal...

I once saw someone drive on the DC beltway using his knees to steer so he could use both hands to drink out of a huge jug. Now that's talent.:teeth:

I used to eat the "Ultimate Cheeseburger" from Jack-N-the box while driving a manual transmission (in town) Nissan Sentra and flawlessly I might add.....(I can't believe I ate those things, but it was 22 years ago) definately steered with my knees a time or two lol

Last edited:
Amazing what you are used to . I live in NC as a previous poster mentioned; it is not illegal. Heck I thought this post at first was a joke. I didn't know it was illegal in any states. I guess you learn something new everyday. Seeing people talk on their phones is commonplace where I live. Remember when seat belts were not required? There was nothing better than laying up by the side/back window in the paneled station wagon! Now those were the days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter