my allergic dining experience

dandemom

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to report my findings. We were at Disney May 7-14. My 2 kids are 2 and 4 and allergic to milk, soy, egg, tree nuts and peanuts. Everyone was fabulous (OK, almost everyone...)

We were on the dining plan and the kids had to share since my daughter is 2 and ineligible to purchase dining plan.

Crystal Palace: Chef made them chicken fingers and french fries for my daughter and went somewhere else to get a burger for my son, complete with a bun (It was gluten free too, but something he doesn't even get at home). Rice dream ice cream for dessert. We were not charged for my daughter.

1900 Park Fare: I don't have a lot of confidence that this chef really cared. He did make them chicken I think and said he could do french fries. I asked for a baked potato since they'd had fries at lunch and he gave me a hard time but then did make a baked potato for them and some corn. I think the rice cream again.

Coral Reef: We had a chef in allergy training so we actually had 2 chefs. They were great. I can't remember what they prepared. They did get the rice dream ice cream and chocolate sauce and sprinkles for dessert.

Garden Grill: The chef was good, the server not so much so. He delivered mac and cheese for the kids and since the chef had told me this was off limits I knew it was wrong. I don't think the server believed me when I told him it wasn't for us. No rice dream ice cream here, but they got the icktadoozie popsicles.

Akersus: The chef was OK (he was from long island so there wasn't a language barrier), but the food was really bad on my plate. I ended up eating the rest of the grilled chicken off the kids plates because I couldn't eat mine (it was the beef and pork meatloaf). Ice cream for dessert, but they had to share it. Also the princess interaction was not that great but the pictures were a nice touch. I will not be doing this meal again.

Boma: Chef was great. She took me around the buffet and we discussed what she would put on their plates. She brought jello for dessert.

'Ohana: By far the best meal! Chef TJ made everything for the kids special. He made this tower of rice noodles with skewers of meat leaning against it. He also brought them special chicken wings. And their dessert was a tower of fruit and rice dream ice cream topped with Hershey's syrup with a divvies cookie ice cream sandwich in there too.

Counter service:
I waited in line and asked to speak to a chef or manager because I have food allergies. When the appropriate CM came to speak to me (sometimes it was within 15 seconds, another time I waited 10 minutes) we discussed the allergies, I made a request and we looked in the book at the ingredients. The CM helped me to order with the cashier and then went to the kitchen and prepared it himself.

Cosmic Rays: We did a burger with the gluten free bun. The fries were baked which took about 12 extra minutes. They put it in as an adult meal even though I clearly told them it was for a child and should be a child credit. There was no issue at the end of the week, either so they must not actually track adult/child meals. For dessert, one time I got a cake and ate it myself and another I asked if I could get apple slices and they allowed that. The apple slices tasted a little strange, though, probably from whatever they put on them to keep them from getting brown.

Sunshine Seasons: chicken drumstick meal with applesauce and carrots. The chef pulled them fresh from the oven.

Flame Tree BBQ: Kids chicken meal

Rosie's in DHS: kids Burger, no bun here.

Downtown Disney: We ate at Wolfgang pucks and it was very good, however I was afraid to feed the kids here so I went into McD's and got theirs to go and they ate at wolfgang pucks. I did find out you can get just the crispy chicken patty for significantly less than buying the southern style chicken sandwich minus the bun. (I actually found this out at a McD's at home but they also did it at DD. I think it was around $1.30 or so instead of close to $3.50)

Snacks:
The only place I found Divvies cookies were at the food court at POFQ where we were staying (and even not all the time there, either). They did not ever have them at Main Street Bakery. They did have the popcorn and jelly beans but they did not count as snacks on the dining plan. So if you find them stock up. Better yet, order them ahead of time online and take them with you (be sure not to smush them on the plane)

I did get the kids a Tinkerbelle slushie in MK. It was very sour and syrupy.

On the last day we still had 4 snack credits left and there's not much besides lollipops in the confectionary, it has to be a single serving and less than $4, so use the credits during the week.

I did not try to get them an ice cream cone anywhere since they had ice cream almost every night with dinner at the table service restaurant.

I hope this helps someone out. I was very unsure about counter service with allergies before going and I would do dining plan again in a second. Also there was enough food for both of my kids while sharing, keeping in mind neither one of them is a big eater.

For breakfast I ordered with wegoshop.com. I sent Marge to Walmart and I went to our local Walmart ahead of time to read labels. She was fantastic and I will definitely use her again. Also the prices were exactly the same in FL as they are here in NY (to the penny).

If you have any questions, please let me know. It can be very daunting going when you don't know what you will feed your children.

I'm glad that the bulk of your experience was positive. If you let them know when you plan your trip and are willing to sacrifice a little flexibility, I believe they can call ahead to the counter service restaurants for you to ensure that they have stuff you can eat.

We have several backstage publications for CMs and I remember one family writing in to describe hteir experience. The son had very significant allergies to a lot of pesticides and could only eat organic. A chef was assigned to them and hand delivered hte groceries to every table service/counter service restaurant they ate at if I remember correctly. (I know for sure table service). As long as you call ahead, they should be albe to make it work. Many times they can make it work without notification (as you found out) but I believe you will get better service if you alert htme in advance.

Isn't Chef TJ wonderful? I wish I could just carry him home with me. He even remembered us on a subsequent trip. I'm going to make ressies at O'Hana but I'm afraid we'll show up on a night when he is off!

I thought the Park Faire chef was only "so-so" myself - we probably had different ones of course. He swore to me the nestle chocolate chips in the cookies were safe but I've never seen ones that are not "may contains" for nuts and told him so. He was like "well...whatever .... don't eat them then"!:scared1: We stuck to the basics at this place and fortunately his allergies are limited to nuts and shellfish.

Thanks for the report!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's always great to hear these stories.

Cosmic Rays: They put it in as an adult meal even though I clearly told them it was for a child and should be a child credit. There was no issue at the end of the week, either so they must not actually track adult/child meals.

They don't track the CS meals as adult/child. They just have a large pool of CS meals on the dining plan.

Downtown Disney: We ate at Wolfgang pucks and it was very good, however I was afraid to feed the kids here so I went into McD's and got theirs to go and they ate at wolfgang pucks.

From everything I've heard about WOlfgang Pucks (I haven't eaten there myself; it's on my list of places I want to try), I'd trust them more than McDonald's. McD's has a very bad track record of stating something about their food only to have it come out at a later date that they were untruthful. The examples that come to mind are when they stated that the fries are vegetarian and it later came out that they use beef fat for flavoring and when they stated that the fries are gluten and dairy free and it later came out that they use wheat and milk in the fries and oil.

The only place I found Divvies cookies were at the food court at POFQ where we were staying (and even not all the time there, either). They did not ever have them at Main Street Bakery. They did have the popcorn and jelly beans but they did not count as snacks on the dining plan.

When we were there in February, Main Street Bakery did have them and the food court at my hotel (Pop) had no trouble keeping any of the Divies products in stock. Maybe you hit an unfortunate time when they were between shipments. I'd check Main Street Bakery next time you go. We did have a lot of trouble getting safe baked goods at Hollywood Studios because the Staring Rolls Bakery hadn't been restocked for weeks. This caused a LOT of upset as they were the only place we could get safe baked goods at HS outside of a TS restaurant (we ended up getting a brownie to go at the 50s diner).

I was able to use snack credits for the caramel popcorn and jelly beans. I could also get them as dessert options when ordering a CS meal at my hotel. I'm not sure why you couldn't use snack credits to buy them.

On the last day we still had 4 snack credits left and there's not much besides lollipops in the confectionary, it has to be a single serving and less than $4, so use the credits during the week.

We use our leftover snack credits in the food court at our hotel before we leave. There are plenty of options. We stocked up on a bunch of "allergy" treats plus a few treats for our non-allergy affected daughter. We always have plenty left and enjoy munching on Disney treats for another week or two (if we can let things last that long) after our trip.

I hope this helps someone out. I was very unsure about counter service with allergies before going and I would do dining plan again in a second.

I'm sure this will help many people. Thank you!!

Howdy Neighbor!

Thank you for posting this, even though I do not have any allergies, I have a friend who will be travelling with me, and at least we will have some idea how to proceed.

Glad that you had mostly positive experiences, sounds like you had a great time!

I couldn't get the Caramel Popcorn as a snack either. The CM said it was over $4 with the tax. I didn't try really hard to get it - telling them it was for my niece with lactose intollerant or anything. It was the only food that I bought out of pocket.

just wanted to share that we also were able to get the caramel popcorn & jelly beans over easter break at the all star food courts on the meal plan. maybe it is a cashier specific thing :confused3. we could get it as a dessert or snack credit. at the end of the trip we had quite a few snack credits left so we got extras and brought them home with us too!

I couldn't get the Caramel Popcorn as a snack either. The CM said it was over $4 with the tax. I didn't try really hard to get it - telling them it was for my niece with lactose intollerant or anything. It was the only food that I bought out of pocket.

Caramel corn is $4.50 so it would be over the limit as a snack. Tax has nothing to do with it though as I have seen other snacks that would be over $4 with tax be allowed.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1683477

Sunshine Terrace
Cappuccino Float - $3.99

just wanted to share that we also were able to get the caramel popcorn & jelly beans over easter break at the all star food courts on the meal plan. maybe it is a cashier specific thing :confused3. we could get it as a dessert or snack credit. at the end of the trip we had quite a few snack credits left so we got extras and brought them home with us too!

Maybe they have different rules (or different CM training) for resort food courts vs park locations? I also used snack credits for my caramel popcorn and jelly beans at a food court, though mine was Pop.

Note that sometimes CMs don't know all the rules. A couple of times I had to educate a CM about something that was allowed on the dining plan as a dessert of snack option when they mistakenly told me it wasn't allowed. Because of our food allergy issues, we spend lots of time chatting with chefs and managers and I get my info from them. Cashiers don't always know all the rules. It's never malicious or anything; they simply aren't always exposed to all the scenarios that the managers are. It's always very polite and nice (on both the part of myself and CMs that simply don't know) but we have had managers have to tell cashiers that what we're getting is approved for the dining plan. Heck, the caramel popcorn and jelly beans are even on a shelf with the DDP symbol. I did wrongly take something from the shelf above one time and I was corrected and accepted that I was wrong (DH just wanted to try something different but it wasn't like it was an allergy food that was excluded). I'm adding this last part to demonstrate that I don't just argue until I get my way. If I'm wrong/mistaken then I accept the rules; I just want to be able to get what is within the rules when I'm supposed to be able to do so.

The DDP does clearly say that single serving bags of snacks are included. The Divvy caramel popcorn and jelly beans are single servings; the same types of sizes as the lays chips or regular popcorn in the parks.

Does anyone have the ingredients list off of the caramel corn or jellybeans. I read that some of you took them home so I was just hoping. I know my daughter is allergic to some of the divies cookies but I have not seen the popcorn or jellybeans on previous trips.

Has anyone figured out yet if the popcorn has dairy or not?? I knnow there are a lot of contadicting reports on thios one too.

I am so glad that your experience went so well. We too have found that certain chefs bend over backwards for you and others you seem to be a hassle to them. I get nervous at the hassle places too. they may not care but someone could get very sick.

I was told by one of the chefs that the the waitstaff unless specificly trained should not handle allergy food. The chefs are supposed to be the only ones touching it. This cuts down or hopefully out in cross contamination. You can request when you sit down you only want them to handle the food. This is the way they are traned.

Hooray for another good allergy experience.:wizard:

http://www.divvies.com/store/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=CCRN
http://www.divvies.com/inc/ingred_popup.php?prodinfo=6,2
INGREDIENTS: Brown Sugar, Popcorn, Corn Syrup, Corn Oil, Organic Expeller Pressed Palm Fruit Oil, Salt, Water, Pure Vanilla Extract, Baking Soda
Divvies brand of caramel corn is vegan thus casein free.

http://www.divvies.com/store/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=CDNY
http://www.divvies.com/inc/ingred_popup.php?prodinfo=16,3
INGREDIENTS: Sugar, Corn Syrup, Modified Food Starch, Dextrose, Pectin, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, ConfectionerÕs Glaze, Carnauba Wax, Beeswax, Mineral Oil, Cocoa Powder, Cocoa Liquor, Natural and Artificial Flavors and Colors (Including: FD&C Red 40 Lake, Red 40, Red 3, Blue 1, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 5, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 6 Lake)

MAY CONTAIN: Wheat, Soy Lecithin

Thanks for this report! DS9 is allergic to Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Shellfish and Tree Nuts. I'm fairly confident at the TS places (Chef Rob at Liberty Tree Tavern ROCKS!!) but get more nervous at CS places, as some are better at handling the allergies than others. It's great to know that Sunshine Seasons has some good options, I've been wanting to try that myself! Again, thank you for doing this..it's nice to get ideas of the options that are out there.

I agree with you on the packaged apples. They always taste funny to me--and I'm sure it's whatever they put on them to keep them fresh looking. I'd rather have chips--LOL--even though the apples are probably better health-wise.

My dd7 has food allergies to Wheat, eggs, milk, tree nuts, and peanuts... plus shellfish, etc... (dd5 is allergic to milk, tree nuts)

I was wondering if WDW would provide packed lunches for them? Do they send out a chef to purchase the kinds of safe foods? Can I give them a list of what items are safe?

We are headed to WDW for our first trip w/ the girls at the end of August. Found out about DD7's allergies when we were at WDW. She was just 7 mos. and had an allergic reaction to some rice cereal (had a milk derivative in it). :scared:Still a bit nervous, but glad to hear that there are some safe snacks/foods for them. I have heard great things about TS, so I'm less worried about those meals; it's the CS that concerns me.

I was hoping I could get a bagged lunch for them with their safe foods packed and ready to go versus having to wait for CS to figure out if something is safe and/or experience another reaction and visit to the ER.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!

They know what is safe and have a section that deals with special dietary needs like religion, medical, pharmaceutical, picky eaters, vegans, and allergies. Milk and nuts they see all the time and the chefs do buy special gluten free buns, nut free treats, and even soy milk.

Write them and they will send you alist of foods that are allergen free. There are many with your type of allergies who have gone before you.

read the following as it has lots of information:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

There is a Whole Foods Market near by that you can drive or take a taxi to and get lots of allergen free foods.

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone pointed to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is near the top of this board (or you can use the link in my signature to get there).
Post #3 of that thread has information and links to information about specific conditions, including diet/allergy information and resourses.

We have been able to get the divvies popcorn for snack credits too. The Cm's often say no it won't work but when they actually run it through the register it works. Last trip I ended up just buying a few when I got a good CM and another time I just switched registers to another cm and it worked fine. If it doesn't work they should be able to call a mgr anyway to get it approved since often there aren't other options. The resort locations were great about doing this most of the time even without a mgr to help.

Has anyone figured out yet if the popcorn has dairy or not?? I knnow there are a lot of contadicting reports on thios one too.

My daughter and I are reactive to casein, lactose and whey. We were able to enjoy the popcorn with no ill effects. Before our trip, Brenda had confirmed for us that it is milk free (at least in February when we went). Because suppliers and ingredients can change at any time it's best to confirm with Special Diets (Brenda) before your trip, but as of the end of February, the popcorn in the parks was safe for people with milk allergies.

My dd7 has food allergies to Wheat, eggs, milk, tree nuts, and peanuts... plus shellfish, etc... (dd5 is allergic to milk, tree nuts)

I was wondering if WDW would provide packed lunches for them? Do they send out a chef to purchase the kinds of safe foods? Can I give them a list of what items are safe?

We are headed to WDW for our first trip w/ the girls at the end of August. Found out about DD7's allergies when we were at WDW. She was just 7 mos. and had an allergic reaction to some rice cereal (had a milk derivative in it). :scared:Still a bit nervous, but glad to hear that there are some safe snacks/foods for them. I have heard great things about TS, so I'm less worried about those meals; it's the CS that concerns me.

I was hoping I could get a bagged lunch for them with their safe foods packed and ready to go versus having to wait for CS to figure out if something is safe and/or experience another reaction and visit to the ER.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!

Email Brenda to discuss exactly what foods are safe/unsafe, but Disney should take good care of you. If they need to get foods for you that are not standard-stocked items, they will.

If you're staying on property, then the Chefs at your resort can make a lunch for you regardless of the time of day. However, you may have food safety/quality issues with it, and they aren't really set up to pack foods for the parks. They'll do their best, but it's not a common request.

In each park there's a designated CS restaurant that does the extra-special diets. At MK it's the Main St Bakery, for example. We have stopped at the bakery in the morning, and ordered a lunch with a specific pickup time. However, you have to wait to talk to a chef in the morning, and then when you go to pick it up - they don't cook it until you come back, so you're waiting again. They could precook, but then it gets cold, and has cross-contamination risks (since the chef can't keep his eyes on it all the time).

I don't know if pre-ordering saves any net time, to be honest. It does make sure that if they don't have the ingredients, they have some time to obtain them, though.

Just got an email from Brenda and lots of attachments to read... whew... who knew that a trip to WDW would consume so many hours... I've stayed up way too late just reading the boards... so addictive and helpful! :surfweb:

It's really a comfort to know that Julia will be able to enjoy a few meals at the TS. :goodvibes

I read that there are "meet ups" at different resorts. I was wondering was there one planned for Food Allergy individuals planned during the last week of August? Not sure where to look... I keep getting side-tracked when reading the DISboards. I must have 5 tabs up, just to go back to reading different topics that interest me... whew!

Thanks again for the input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter