My Advice For First Time Runners

Sleepless Knight

Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess
With both the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend coming this weekend and the Star Wars 1/2 Marathon Weekend coming next weekend, I feel like offering my experience from my first 1/2 marathon in the hopes that my own experiences will help someone else feeling nervous about their first race. Maybe my experience won't help someone else, but in the event it does, here goes. It is lengthy, but I feel like what I learned from my first race makes more sense if you know how I went from my couch to finishing a 1/2 marathon.

First off, I was never a tremendous athlete. While the idea of a runDisney medal appealed to me when I read about the Inaugural Disneyland 1/2 back in 2006, the reality of 13.1 miles had me convinced that I would never earn such a medal. And I was okay with that. I exercised off and on for a few years, but never could sustain it. After 2 consecutive years of visiting Disneyland during the 1/2 marathon weekend, I finally decided to talk with a nice couple proudly wearing their medals. They were more than happy to tell me that the required pace was such that I could actually walk the entire course. This nice couple assured me that I would need to train for it, but that I could walk it.

So a couple of years later, I was talking with my little sister and she informed me of her secret desire to run a 1/2 marathon. One thing led to another and we both signed up for the 2011 Disneyland 1/2. Now, I never really even considered the notion of building up to running a 1/2. It never occurred to me to run a 5K and then a 10K or something along those lines. I just jumped in with both feet and began training. I followed the Galloway plan from runDisney mostly because it was free and because I trusted that it would work for a complete running newbie like myself.

My training started off and on for a few weeks and eventually I was so far behind that I had to cut out all the low mileage weekend runs just to get all the long runs in. Early on in my training, I was pretty exhausted after just 2 miles. I had to constantly remind myself that I didn't need to run 13.1 miles today, but rather needed to build up to it in August. Slowly the endurance built up. A few weeks before the race, I spooked myself into thinking that my current training wasn't fast enough, so I started to increase my speed too quickly.

This led to my discovery that whenever I try to run, I quickly wind up with sharp pains that force me to stop. In the end, I had to slow down to my usual 15 minute per mile training pace and hope for the best. Race weekend came and I was filled with both excitement and fear. A lot of fear. While I had put in all the long training runs under the plan, I still wondered if I could actually do it. While other runners were very encouraging in the parks, I still silently wondered if they were just being polite. After all, I was only walking the course. In the end, I concluded that I was either going to succeed or fail spectacularly.

Packet pickup and the Expo speakers, especially Jeff Galloway helped me feel more confident, but also increased my nerves. Eventually I did fall asleep that night, but didn't sleep very well on account of my nerves. Race morning, for better or for worse, had finally arrived. I couldn't believe how cheerful so many runners were. Did they not realize it was 4:00am? My sister and I made our way to the very last corral and settled in to begin the waiting game. Soon enough our turn and the race began. My sister took off like a shot and I wouldn't see her again until after the race. Which is fine. We both wanted to finish and wouldn't allow the other one to slow us down.

The race now underway, I thought to myself that I was actually doing this. I really was running a 1/2 marathon. I could really do this. But my fears about finishing, combined with nerves, adrenaline, and excitement got the best of me and I began to pick up my pace. This was too much, too soon. After just a minute or two of this increased speed, I felt a sharp shooting pain in my legs similar to shin splints. Soon my elation turned to despair. My hope became discouragement. Less than half a mile into the race, I realized there was no way I could finish the race in this kind of pain. But I wanted that medal.

If you had told me at that very moment that I could pull over to the side of the course, say I was too injured to go on, and given me that medal, I fear that I would have taken you up on that offer. I would a medal and learned that 1/2 marathons aren't for me. But thankfully, I believed that the only way to earn the medal was to finish the race. I came to the quick conclusion that I was going to have to slow down and walk the course. That is after all, what I had trained to do. I decided that I would continue the race until I either finished it or was dragged from the course kicking and screaming. Well, not literally, but you get my drift.

And so the walking began. At mile 1 I learned that I was roughly one minute ahead of minimum race pace. Well I hadn't been swept yet. I just kept going. I had already decided to skip all character photos as I had concerns that any stops could destroy my goal of finishing the race. For me, all the character photos I wanted would wait until I had earned that medal. Through DCA and Disneyland, I was distracted from the soreness still lingering in my muscles from having started too quickly. My spirits were buoyed up by a sweet elderly lady in a wheelchair holding a sign that read "Hello Total Stranger, I'm Proud of You Too."

I timed my splits in my head by looking at the clock on each mile marker and calculating if I was taking roughly 15 minutes to complete each mile. My goal was to finish. My time didn't matter. And so far, so good. But then we left Disneyland. I knew that the course wound through Anaheim before heading to Angels Stadium. I had no idea that there would be bands, cheerleaders, and different groups along the way providing entertainment. In my mind, I thought that I had a lot of lonely miles in front of me. But they hadn't swept me yet.

But as I went over the freeway overpass just outside of Disneyland, this stretch became difficult. My legs protested the increased effort to just get over a freeway overpass. But as I struggled with this, I thought of my Mormon Pioneer ancestors who fled persecution in Illinois and walked to Utah under very trying and challenging circumstances. They never quit and neither would I.

So I put one foot in front of the other. I just kept going, persevering, enduring, and never giving up. Slowly, but surely the miles passed. The mile marker number kept getting higher. Soon I came to Angels Stadium. What a rush! The cheering fans in the stadium gave me a real energy boost. And though it seemed like a very long time, it wasn't long at all before I came back to Disney property. I was actually going to finish the race. As fate would have it, I saw a friendly couple who I met in Disneyland the day before who had offered me encouragement. And then the finish line was upon me. I high gave a high five to Mickey and one of the chipmunks as I crossed the finish line. I had actually finished the race. In time. Without getting swept.

In 2012 I did the Coast to Coast Challenge. I'll be in the Star Wars Rebel Challenge next week. And to think all that has come since then never would have happened if I had given up so early on in my first race. I still walk these races. I'm still slow. It still takes me over 3 hours to finish a runDisney 1/2 marathon. But I'm still a finisher!

What did I learn from that first race?

1. Trust your training. You're not competing against me. You're not competing against the elite athletes in corral A. You're not even competing against any family members or friends you're running with. You're really only competing against that voice in your head that says you cannot do hard things. In the very beginning of the race, I tried to do too much, too fast. I ran faster than I actually had the strength to. But as I returned to the basics of what I had spent the previous four months preparing to do, things returned to normal. I was able to keep going. I may never be very fast, but I can finish a race. I can learn what I am supposed to learn from this experience. And I certainly enjoy the physical benefits from the repeated exercise it takes to train for these races.

While you will cross the finish line on race day itself, you prepared to win your race every day you trained. Every day you got up and exercised instead of doing something else. You have invested a lot of time and energy into training. So trust that training and call upon it when you feel discouraged. Whatever moments of discouragement you feel during the race or during your training will be long forgotten by the joy you experience when you finish your race.

2. Never give up. There will be times when the next portion of the course feels like a fire breathing Maleficent trying to take you down. But just keep fighting. Or swimming as Dory says in Finding Nemo. Just don't give up. Give it your very best that day, whatever your very best is. Remember that you have trained for this. You have prepared for this. Your training probably was far from perfect. You probably had bad training days and good training days. But all those days, especially the bad ones, helped prepare you for this race.

3. Don't worry about your time too much. This is not to say that you ignore the pace requirements, but more that you keep your focus on finishing the race you trained for. Enjoy the Disney experience of the race. This may only involve shouting pirate phrases to the pirates who are riding the carousel. But enjoy it. Appreciate seeing parade floats close up. If you have time, get a character photo.

4. After you have finished, don't be afraid to wear your medal(s) around the park. I would never have run a Disney race if runners hadn't worn their medals around the park. You may inspire someone else to take this up. And having earned one Coast to Coast medal, I suspect that I gave some experienced WDW runners the idea to try a race at Disneyland.

I hope this has been helpful. Whatever your upcoming race is, good luck! And since my next race is Star Wars, may the Force be with you!

Sleepless Knight, you have said it all. The race is against you; not the clock or anyone else.

All I can add is Amen!

Thanks for taking the time to share your story and advice sleepless knight. I am also a total nonathletic beginner who never ran any race. Just hoping to finish but would love to get one character photo. Good luck with your race. :goodvibes

Good thing to share! We all forget that we all started at one point or another.

I was in track and field when I was in high school back in the earlier 80's. Even though I do workout...I had never stepped foot on a track since 1983. Never thought I would.

Fast Forward to nearly 30 years later...and somewhere inside the back of my head, my secret wish was do run a full marathon sometime in my life...but first I have to conquer the half...either of them was something I never thought I would or could do.

I did my first half during marathon weekend several years ago and I never look back.

I was pretty much one step ahead of the white vans...but I crossed the finish line.

What I love most is seeing and feeling the positive atmosphere in these races. The energy. I ran behind a woman who was 80 years old doing the half. I was alongside a couple in their upper 70's doing the Goofy together last year.

I have seen runners in cheetah legs. Wheel chairs. Their strength of body mind and soul have empowered me.

Enjoy the moment. We will all be nervous. But enjoy it. This is yours.

Your training probably was far from perfect. You probably had bad training days and good training days. But all those days, especially the bad ones, helped prepare you for this race.

Thank you so much for sharing your encouraging story! I've never been athletic and yet I am aiming for the Half Marathon in January 2016. I hope that a year will be long enough for me to train and improve my speed, especially since I struggle to complete shorter 2-3 mi runs during the week (very discouraging). Strangely enough, I don't seem to have any issues with longer 4-5 mi distances (albeit at a 13:30 min/mi pace). I keep telling myself that every mile (no matter how frustrating or difficult) spent in training will pay off in the actual race itself :cheer2:

Thanks for taking the time to share your story and advice sleepless knight. I am also a total nonathletic beginner who never ran any race. Just hoping to finish but would love to get one character photo. Good luck with your race. :goodvibes
My first race finished in 3:05 with no stops whatsoever. In 2012, I stopped for photos with characters from my favorite movies, Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty in front of Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle and Darth Vader with stormtroopers in Tomorrowland. My thought on character photos during the race is that if you're going to the parks after the race and are worried about finishing, then save those photos for after the race. My character photos after the race with my medals have been great fun because the characters make a big deal out of the medal.

Good thing to share! We all forget that we all started at one point or another.

I was pretty much one step ahead of the white vans...but I crossed the finish line.

What I love most is seeing and feeling the positive atmosphere in these races. The energy. I ran behind a woman who was 80 years old doing the half. I was alongside a couple in their upper 70's doing the Goofy together last year.

I have seen runners in cheetah legs. Wheel chairs. Their strength of body mind and soul have empowered me.

Enjoy the moment. We will all be nervous. But enjoy it. This is yours.
So very true. These events are inspiring because you see so many people who have overcome so much to make it to the starting line. View the race as your opportunity to accomplish something difficult. I've talked to some people who would love to someday earn a runDisney medal, but don't think they can. I once believed that way. But thanks to encouragement from two runners I've probably never seen since one day in 2009, I know otherwise now.

Thank you so much for sharing your encouraging story! I've never been athletic and yet I am aiming for the Half Marathon in January 2016. I hope that a year will be long enough for me to train and improve my speed, especially since I struggle to complete shorter 2-3 mi runs during the week (very discouraging). Strangely enough, I don't seem to have any issues with longer 4-5 mi distances (albeit at a 13:30 min/mi pace). I keep telling myself that every mile (no matter how frustrating or difficult) spent in training will pay off in the actual race itself :cheer2:
I'm an accountant, so I went from being chained to my desk for January to April to finishing a 1/2 marathon in September, despite never having done any kind of serious endurance training before. Not only can you do it, but you will do this. If you haven't already, check out Jeff Galloway's training plans for runDisney 1/2 marathons and read his training tips. I also strongly recommend the MickeyMiles podcast. Great advice there from runDisney veterans Michelle Scribner-McLean and Mike Scopa (from WDW Today). And ask me any questions you have if you want. While I don't consider myself an expert, I'm grateful for those who share their wealth of knowledge with me to help me.

Love this post! This is just what I needed to calm my first-half-marathon nerves in anticipation of the WDW Half this weekend. Thanks so much for sharing!

Love this post! This is just what I needed to calm my first-half-marathon nerves in anticipation of the WDW Half this weekend. Thanks so much for sharing!
I'm glad it helped. I had very mixed feelings about whether I would ever do another race after my first 1/2. In the end, the the lure of the Coast to Coast proved to be too much and I signed up again. I enjoyed the second and third races immensely more than my first. I attribute at least some of that enjoyment to learning from my mistakes the first time and being better prepared for the second races.

Thanks Sleepless Knight! I really needed this! PHM in Feb will be my first half and WDW race. I'm getting quite nervous...my training isn't wear it should be! So I appreciate this post a great deal!!! Thanks for the confidence boost! :wave2:

Appreciate the advice and encouragement! Doing Princess and after a year of working towards it, I still don't feel at all ready. I'm most worried about time . . .

Thank you for posting this. I have done several half marathons and 2 marathons now (just finished Dopey last weekend) but still found your post so inspirational. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this ! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I'm doing my first 10k tomorrow (yikes!) and have been nervous. You're post has helped so much! :cheer2:

I have a couple questions as to what to wear on a 1/2 run.

From previous posts I'm gathering I need to trade in my cotton socks for running sock and may need Vaseline to prevent blisters. Anything else?

Depending on my training I would like to stop at some character stops, if the sweepers aren't behind me. Do I need a camera? I'm looking fwd to the night wine and dine and saw that many regretted using iPhone or other phones for pictures?

Where do I carry everything with me? I've seen some running "packs" that go around the waist but what do you use and what would you never use again?

I have a couple questions as to what to wear on a 1/2 run.

From previous posts I'm gathering I need to trade in my cotton socks for running sock and may need Vaseline to prevent blisters. Anything else?

Definitely no cotton shirt, shorts, or socks. It feels soft, but it absorbs moisture really well and that can lead to chafing. Stick with technical/dri-fit type clothing. I'd also recommend using BodyGlide instead of Vaseline on your feet. It's much less messy and works just as well.

Depending on my training I would like to stop at some character stops, if the sweepers aren't behind me. Do I need a camera? I'm looking fwd to the night wine and dine and saw that many regretted using iPhone or other phones for pictures?

Most of the characters will have an official Disney photographer there, but not all of them do. I think the best option is to carry an iPhone or small point-and-shoot camera with you. This way you know you'll get a picture at every stop no matter if there's an official photographer or not.

Where do I carry everything with me? I've seen some running "packs" that go around the waist but what do you use and what would you never use again?

I use a small elastic pouch from either Fuel Belt or SPIbelt. Both work equally well for carrying gels, phones, etc.

Definitely no cotton shirt, shorts, or socks. It feels soft, but it absorbs moisture really well and that can lead to chafing. Stick with technical/dri-fit type clothing. I'd also recommend using BodyGlide instead of Vaseline on your feet. It's much less messy and works just as well

What brand of socks would you recommend?

Definitely no cotton shirt, shorts, or socks. It feels soft, but it absorbs moisture really well and that can lead to chafing. Stick with technical/dri-fit type clothing. I'd also recommend using BodyGlide instead of Vaseline on your feet. It's much less messy and works just as well

What brand of socks would you recommend?

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-MSOCKTYPE.html

Some different brands of socks to select from.

McFlurry John

There are so many different styles and brands to choose from, you really need to experiment with some to see what works best for you. Personally, I use plain Under Armour ones that are a bit thicker when breaking in new shoes or running in cool weather or for short distances. I use Asics Kayano socks when it's warm or when running longer distances.

I find your post extremely inspirational, it reminds me of me, and your comment about wearing medals around to encourage others to run... is so true. I had been jogging for several years (not fast I am NOT built to be athletic at all!) but never entered a race until my husband and I were down in Disney in January 2012 and saw a lady wearing a 1/2 marathon medal, I asked her about it and it encouraged me to enter my first race (the 2013 WDW 5K), I'm not really that fast, though I do jog/run most races. I love that most runners are supportive and encouraging to all runners/racers regardless of speed.

My SIL, just finished her first 10K, during WDW marathon weekend, and just signed up for the Miami Half next year, so I am thinking we can talk her into doing the WDW 1/2 marathon with us next year! Since doing the WDW 5K in 2012, we have completed the Dopey challenge in 2014 and 2015 and are planning on going back and doing it again in 2016.

To answer your questions:
On socks, I went through literally 5 different types of socks before I found the style that works the best for me (Features), socks are definitely important and I would recommend buying a pair and trying it out a few times before buying more then one as they are expensive.

As far as "bags" I use a SPI belt on longer races to carry cliff blocks (or whatever nutrition you prefer), etc. I know some use them for cell phones, wallets, money etc, it's what works best for you. I know others like the flip belt which has similar uses to the SPI belt, but again personal preference.

If you haven't already see if there is a local running store in your area, they are great for advice, running specific merchandise, and recommendations. The one's in our local area are supportive of all runners/walkers regardless of speed, plus they have weekly runs/get-togethers, will do breakfasts after local races sometimes, and also have trial runs of various shoes/socks, so you can try before you buy.

It's funny as to clothing, when I started my running (again 3-4 years before I ever entered a race)I wore whatever I had, cotton shirt, old cargo shorts, etc. Only once I started training for a race did I actually buy any real running stuff. My SIL though, as I mentioned who is more recently into running started with nice running-specific clothes, she was told by a trainer that by purchasing something nice to wear, it gets you more inclined to get out and run. I never thought of it that way but it's true! I am still a cheapskate though I almost never buy any of my running gear full price, I wait for the after-season sales!

Good luck and I will be sharing your story, congrats!

Jennifer

Thank you so much for posting this! I have just started training for my first running event ever, the Jingle Jungle 5K (Wine and Dine Weekend in November). In the 31 days that I have been training, I have gone from a complete couch potato to riding the exercise bike for an hour to walking 30 minutes on the treadmill. It's a start, and I can't wait to do more!

Thank you for sharing!!! I am starting back into running after 10 years and 70lbs. Your story is very encouraging:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter