• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MY ADVENTURES by Disney "Spirit of America" Sept 2009 trip report (w/pics & video)

What!?! Final thoughts? No...please, please, please think of something else to tell us. I am living vicariously through you until my trip arrives. There just has to be something else to tell us. ;)

What!?! Final thoughts? No...please, please, please think of something else to tell us. I am living vicariously through you until my trip arrives. There just has to be something else to tell us. ;)

314.jpg

(photo shot at Colonial Williamsburg VA)

.......ok - yes....the story DOES continue as I will add more - including pics & video:goodvibes.

TBC

779.jpg

(shot of the Lincoln Memorial)

.....have had a few requests for more information about this trip so I thought I would add just a wee bit more to this adventure. So please keep in mind I will gently come out with more of my opinion while still keeping this trip report objective so as others can also write their own adventure. It is my hope that this trip report can be used as a springboard for others while in the planning of their adventure. I "may" give away SOME ABD secrets during this post trip report.....but not all. I mean hey......ya gotta keep some stuff a secret - ya know?;)

What I found to be most helpful in the planning stages of this trip was the packing of my suitcase as it gave me an opportunity to remain connected to this trip while at the same time, it gave me peace of mind.....since I began packing for this trip months in advance. Some of the items I am very glad I packed are as follows:

1) extension cord
2) flip flops
3) I-pod speakers
4) hotel sized laundry detergent boxes (4 of them)
5) hotel sized "Bounce" scented sheets boxes (2 of them)
6) phone card (if you don't have a cell phone)
7) roll of quarters
8) writing pens / journal (for your trip report notes)
9) emergency medical kit (self understood)
10) Lanyard? If ya didn't pack one, don't worry - they will provide one for you. Me? I brought 3.....hey I like to color coordinate my lanyards with what I am wearing for the day. Besides...then you can add whatever ABD pin they give you for that day to that lanyard:yay:.

The reason for the extension cord is so you can plug in all of your electronic gizmos into it and have it in plain sight for you to see (but NOT have housekeeping step on it) and this way....ya won't forget something whenever you change hotels during this adventure.:goodvibes

And flip flops? Well - that's a nice way to have for footwear while you are in an individual casual setting.

Phone card? Just in case you need it while you are out during "Alone Time" (& get lost & have to call one of the ABD Guides for assistance). I studied the maps long enuf to not get lost...and if necessary, ask the locals and they will also be a good resource to help you get back to the hotel.

It was also very helpful for me to watch a few dvd's in preperation for this trip as well. For entertainment purposes, I watched the "This is America Charlie Brown" (ok.....so I like Snoopy :)) series.....for the Wash DC part of the trip.......and:

1) Disney's "Johnny Tremain" dvd (ok....so that's really about colonial Boston...but it still fun 2 watch)!
2) "Breached," "All the Presidents Men," Rich Little's "The Presidents,"
3) National Geographics, "The White House."
4)

Now for the Philly part of the adventure, I watched:

1) HBO's dvd of "John Adams."
2) History Channel's series on the Free Masons and the history on the Great Seal on the US currency
(I saw one of the colonialists at WIlliamsburg Va wearing a Free Mason ring....look quick but you may spot somone during your journey wearing one).
3)
These dvd's helped me gear up for the trip and helped me tremendously in knowing where things are in releation to each other. Cuz I tell you what, there is a lot of walking during this trip and it really pays to not get lost. - Plus it's really neat to see what Colonial Philly looked like back then.

BUT....

Please keep in mind that once you get outta Colonial Philadelphia, you will notice a difference in your surroundings. I am not saying good or bad, I am just saying that you will notice a difference. And yes, a few of the fellow ABD adventurers remarked this to me while I was on this trip. I sensed it as well. Now when it comes to places to dine out at, I did stop on by (while out walking) a place called "Rotten Ralphs." Pretty nice place and good food to match. I would also recommend this place as an addition to checking out the cheese steak restaurants.:cloud9:
Coming into Philly (on your way to Hyatt @ Penn's landing), you will see Lincoln Financial Field - pretty impressive football field. Atmosphere is nice in Philly, just please be aware that they take their sports very seriously.

Meeting up with your ABD Guides wasn't an issue either - they are very outgoing and friendly and will literally go to the ends of the earth to assist you. Should you encounter any issues along the way (I had two), they are there as your first line of defense. Per se, when the Mayflower hotel front desk FAILED to set my wake up call (Wash DC part of trip) rather than express my reaction/ concern to the front desk, I relayed my concerns back through Maria (one of the ABD Guides). So, good or bad, the Guides are always there to assist you. And please....do not feel afraid to say something to your guides if you encounter an issue.

Also, while at the City Tavern, look around and read /see the history of the place..besides - ya never know who you might run into! It was just a wonderful pleasure conversing with Ben Franklin & Thomas Jefferson.

Lastly, yes - take the time to visit the Constitution Center as it has wonderful visuals that all reminds us about that little word......freedom.:goodvibes. From presentations on how argument reaches the Supreme Court, what it feels like to take the Presidential Oath of office to seeing Supreme court justices robes, etc - this is truely one place not to miss.

COMING UP NEXT:

At Washington DC, ?'s about taking the monument tour at night, bonding with your fellow ABDers and just where in the world can you go to eat out at??

P.S. and as an added bonus, what does it mean when you see the U.S. flag flying on top of the Capitol building?

T.T.F.N.

From the "Did ya know?" file:

back when John & Abigail Adams' son (John Quincy) was first beginning to be a aspiring lawyer, Mr Adams (senior) was doing his best to inspire him as well as communicate with him in his typical Father to Son style. So, he sent him (as a gift) all of his legal papers concerning the trial that made him famous; the trial where he defended the British troops who were accused of firing into the Boston crowd of civilians. This was meant as a gesture to inspire John Quincy into becoming a lawyer when he first got started working at Alexander Hamilton's legal firm.

Anywho -

About Washington DC:

One of the fun things about the place is to know what it means when you see a flag flying over the Capitol building. And the meaning behind it has to do with a long time ago, there was once a wife of a Congressional person who got very upset over him always promising to be home at a reasonable hour but always showing up late; thus he was met with a cold meal and a very upset wife partner.
She complained back up to the members of Congress and lo and behold - a compromise came into being.
Congress therefore devised a plan to where whenever they were in session, they would fly the US flag over the Capitol building. Thus, everyone would know where everyone was.....and everyone walks away one happy camper:woohoo:.

About the National Monument nightime tour:

If you are interested in doing this tour (NOT PART OF YOUR ABD TRIP), please sign up and pay at the concierge desk at the hotel where you are staying. It is a fun tour and a different way to see the monuments. I miscommunicated with my fellow ABDer's about this and missed out on a lot of fun as 6 of them opted to take in this as they told me the next am that they enjoyed it very much.

Speaking of monuments, I heard that there is a gift shop in the basement of the Lincoln Memorial. I did not know this until after our Bike and Ride tour of the monuments. To me, worthwhile to check it out.:goodvibes

About places to eat in Washington DC

Just be aware, IMO that eating out in DC is expensive but nontheless, there are plenty of place to find that will suit any hunger.

Coming up next:

My very last installment on what has been a wonderful trip report to write and share with all of you.popcorn::

How i wish we could also visit Disney... i really want to the full cast... im a child at heart when it comes to Disney characters... :love:

.....yes, it has been a wonderful trip and I take away from this a much deeper appreciation of one word:

:goodvibes **** FREEDOM **** :goodvibes

Even with all the current silliness occuring up in the Detroit Michigan area with all those Northwest Airlines flights having troubles, what you will see on this vacation will trigger you into stopping, pausing and to literally thank the people who took the time to set up what we call these United States of America.
From John Adams, Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross and even down Governor Robert Morris - the list can go on & on.

There will be times that "information overload" will overcome you (like do you know WHO put in the phrase "We the People" and how; thus irking a lot of his fellow statesmen since he did it at the 11th hour)?
Or how Abigal Adams just couldn't stand Ben Franklin and made her feelings known?

Some of the things I learned on just made me do a double take and think for a moment of two. Which is what I suggest - just take a deep breath and allow it to all sink in and just chalk it up as an "ah ha" moment.:goodvibes.

Anywho -

It has been a pleasure sharing my thoughts and feelings with all of you about this ABD vacation. Feel free to pm, e-mail me or even post a reply on this thread should any of you have any questions as I hope all you you consider this trip because yes -

** THIS WAS AN ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET**

But - what adventures await you? Who will you chance across?
Have fun as you hop on the motorcoach and enjoy your adventure:goodvibes.

(double click on the below video & it will play)

P.S. But wait! My adventure continues! For more info, please feel free to read my below titled trip report, "MY ADVENTURES by Disney's, "IF I WERE A FRAGGLE..." Backstage Magic 03-28-2010 to 04-03-2010 pre-trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040...."

T.T.F.N.

What a great trip report. I would really like to take this tour one day. I love history so this would be right up my alley.

I'm on the April 13th Back Stage Magic Dis Unplugged/Dis Boards group trip. I can't wait to read about your BSM trip. I'm headed over to your pre TR for the BSM now.

What a great trip report. I would really like to take this tour one day. I love history so this would be right up my alley.

I'm on the April 13th Back Stage Magic Dis Unplugged/Dis Boards group trip. I can't wait to read about your BSM trip. I'm headed over to your pre TR for the BSM now.

i just noticed u r on the pod cast 2 cruise!:cloud9:
have fun on your BSM adventure in April.

T.T.F.N.

Thanks, have fun in Cali yourself.
Are you going on the podcast cruise?

..on the cruise but I know a good handfull of DISsers who are going with some I have met up with on my DCL cruise January 2009.:goodvibes

Anywho -

P.S. Per my upcoming ABD's Backstage Magic adventure, I can tell I am now totally immersed in it. popcorn::

Countin' down the days until the magic begins -

T.T.F.N.

I had to comment on this thread. This was an OUTSTANDING trip report! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post it. I have not posted on here but I have read lots of the posts about the various trip offerings through Adventures by Disney. I am taking this Spirit of America trip in May. I must say that your report certainly had a positive influence on why I decided to take this particular trip over others. Thank you for your report - you enabled me to get a sense of what the trip was about. I really appreciated the enthusiasm you had in your report. What a great time you had! I am so excited about going on this trip. It is our first one with Adventures by Disney.

I had to comment on this thread. This was an OUTSTANDING trip report! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to post it. I have not posted on here but I have read lots of the posts about the various trip offerings through Adventures by Disney. I am taking this Spirit of America trip in May. I must say that your report certainly had a positive influence on why I decided to take this particular trip over others. Thank you for your report - you enabled me to get a sense of what the trip was about. I really appreciated the enthusiasm you had in your report. What a great time you had! I am so excited about going on this trip. It is our first one with Adventures by Disney.

Everything just came together to make this an adventure that I will never forget - so many "ah ha" moments regarding "Digja know" info about our nations' history and such.:goodvibes

Really enjoyed the vacation - and the beer at the City Tavern (Philly) was fun to taste as well (The Thomas Jefferson ale).

T.T.F.N.

I absolutely loved the way you told the story of this trip through your trip report! I found your trip reports when I searched "Ireland" through Disboards because I am headed there in June (not ABD, but still with a group from MN). I am making my way through all your trip reports. I have read your first WDW/Cruise trip and now this one, and the Ireland, now on to the next. I really like the way you write.

I see you haven't posted in a while. I hope all is well and we see more from you.:cool1::thumbsup2

I also like how you "plus" things up. You always make it nice!

I absolutely loved the way you told the story of this trip through your trip report! I found your trip reports when I searched "Ireland" through Disboards because I am headed there in June (not ABD, but still with a group from MN). I am making my way through all your trip reports. I have read your first WDW/Cruise trip and now this one, and the Ireland, now on to the next. I really like the way you write.

I see you haven't posted in a while. I hope all is well and we see more from you.:cool1::thumbsup2

I also like how you "plus" things up. You always make it nice!

I always find myself feeling that I have "overplanned" my vacations.......

Sometimes to the point I wonder outloud, "What in the world have I gotten myself into!":upsidedow

But.........

It always seem to happen that at the end of every one of my vacations, they always seem to turn into adventures.popcorn::

And I always leave with a pocketfull of wonderful memories.:cloud9:

ANYWHO -
I am a history nut by heart, and this is why you see what you see in my below listed adventures via my blogs.:goodvibes

Nothing like seeing Abe's and Mary's clothing at the Smithsonian ("The long and the short of it").........

or the USS Arizona at the island of Oahu.......

Ireland??

Tip: AS you are traveling from place to place by motorcoach or what not, put some Irish music on in your Ipod.:)

It will really make your day!:goodvibes

Glad you like my writing. All in well with yours truely. I am in the middle of bonding with my resident side-kick AKA "Ladybug."

and -

I am quitely now finishing putting together my NYC vacation (Sept '12) and am now beginning to correspond with the WD's family museum spokespeople per my upcoming trip there in March '13. So be on the lookout for more trip reports to be appearing below as I have got more fun stuff coming down the pipeline (hey...what can I say? I have a long "bucket list").;)

Keep us posted on your Ireland adventure and possibly a trip report perhaps (in the community section of DISboards??).

Cheers -

That looks like ya'll had so much fun, I'm so jealous! :thumbsup2

Re: Spirit of America trip
To just know that Dolly Madison was there (ages ago) to dedicate the cornerstone of the Washington Monument.....WOW!!popcorn::

ABD's "Spirit of America" adventure is one I would definately put in the "must do" section on anyone's 'bucket list.":goodvibes

T.T.F.N.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter