• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My 6yo came home from school with a goose egg on his head, no note or call. WWYD?

Interesting. I would think in larger cities that there would be more of a chance of having a full-time school nurse.

My kids have gone to private and public in the Greater Boston area; all schools elementary, middle, and high (both private and public) have had nurses on staff.

How do schools deal with medications that need to be distributed during the day to students? Do teachers handle that?

I am very, very fortunate that neither one of mine has never needed any meds at school. The last time I saw any info. from the district was when mine were elementary-aged and at that point they had shifted it to reporting to the office when it was time for a dose. My DD who is a senior in HS has a friend she's known since elementary. She has several severe allergies requiring an epi pen. I know she carries it with her everywhere still, I assume still technically against school policy. It was a big uproar at elementary level.

Years ago I chaperoned a field trip and had in my group a boy with epilepsy. He suffered a seizure on the bus and the teacher did have to give him his meds, which luckily she had been trained on. I believe at school his meds were kept in the office & would have been given there, or office personnel would have responded to his location in the building.

I also have a friend who has worked as a school aide in a special ed setting. She was trained to give insulin and test blood sugar for a couple of her students.

Thanks all for your helpful and non snarky responses ;)

I messaged his teacher asking her to keep an eye on him today and let me know if anything seems off after a hit that hard on his head - she responded that she didn't know he hit his head, apologized, and said she will absolutely let me know how he's doing today. My son said a friend went and got her after it happened, so now I'm extra confused. Either my kid is confused (possible he mistook her for an aide, or another teacher I suppose), or the teacher is not being honest. Sigh.

Just bc she came over she still may not have know he hit his head...the other day a boy fell, the kids came and got me, I thought he just scraped his knee, something made me ask and he said that yes he hit his head on the pavement so I made sure the nurse knew.

And trust me the stories that come home are sometimes not what happened at all...not that the kids are lying but something got lost somewhere along the way with stories. We had one boy tell his mom that when he forgot his lunch we gave him a PB&J and he is allergic. Well that is not what happened, his teacher was there and said oh J cant have PB let's get him the mac n cheese from the hot lunch or cereal (they are the options if a kid forgets lunch) Now he didnt eat a PB&J, but his mom called and freaked out on the school until it was sorted out.

And our school is Catholic but we have a nurse 4 days a week paid by the public school district and then the other comes from the school/church.

Just bc she came over she still may not have know he hit his head...the other day a boy fell, the kids came and got me, I thought he just scraped his knee, something made me ask and he said that yes he hit his head on the pavement so I made sure the nurse knew.

You're right, and I am giving her the benefit of the doubt here. Initially I saw his forehead and thought theres no way you could miss it, but without being there I can only go by what the kid says. And I know kids can't be super reliable. And swelling probably got worse between incident and getting home. So many unknowns! And I certainly wasn't trying to blame the teacher, just wondered how others would handle it :)

Story is: he was running around with friends at recess and wasn't looking, turned just in time to slam his forehead into a metal pole of the swingset. Going to be a nasty bruise tomorrow, poor kid. Says his friend ran to get the teacher and she checked him over, but never was sent to the school nurse or was given any ice for the giant swollen lump. He says he didn't lose consciousness, but I question whether he would truly know if he did or not at his age. I'm a nurse, so of course I know the symptoms of concussion and have been keeping a close eye on him and he seems to be ok.

That said, would you expect notification from the school that there was an incident? I was shocked to hear the story from my son, and not have been called or at least a note home in his backpack. But, this is our first incident at school so I don't really have a basis for what to expect in this situation. I certainly don't expect to be notified of every little thing that happens, but a potential concussion scenario seems serious enough to warrant a call to parents, right? If you would contact the school - how do you go about handling it? A call? A note? go right to the teacher?

I would take the flat part of a butter knife and press down on the lump. That worked for us growing up. Then I would tell him to be more careful next time.

To the OMG it's a boy...would you expect a different response if it were her daughter who hit her head? I don't understand why the child being a boy makes a difference.

How do schools deal with medications that need to be distributed during the day to students? Do teachers handle that?
At our school, any prescription medication needs to be brought directly to the office by the parent. The office administrator administers the medication.

Are nurses in schools allowed to prescribe medication?

At our school, any prescription medication needs to be brought directly to the office by the parent. The office administrator administers the medication.

Are nurses in schools allowed to prescribe medication?

School nurses don't prescribe medication, but they are able to dispense them if a student has a need (and correct forms from home and doctor).

I'm surprised that anyone other than a health professional is privy to student prescriptions; I'd think that violates privacy laws. I know that I need to consent to sharing any health information, even something as simple as whether a student wears contacts, with teachers or administration. All health-related documents go to the school nurse (physical forms, medications).

Thanks all for your helpful and non snarky responses ;)

I messaged his teacher asking her to keep an eye on him today and let me know if anything seems off after a hit that hard on his head - she responded that she didn't know he hit his head, apologized, and said she will absolutely let me know how he's doing today. My son said a friend went and got her after it happened, so now I'm extra confused. Either my kid is confused (possible he mistook her for an aide, or another teacher I suppose), or the teacher is not being honest. Sigh.

I'd guess that either she didn't know that he hit head head or he is calling someone else "the teacher." I teach older elementary school aged kids, and even they often call any adult around "the teacher."

I'd guess that either she didn't know that he hit head head or he is calling someone else "the teacher." I teach older elementary school aged kids, and even they often call any adult around "the teacher."

I am called the lunch teacher lol

@Meeko5, I think you handled it beautifully. Used tact to not offend teacher, but addressed your very valid concerns.

Hope your son is doing ok. That's the main thing. :)

Honestly, I probably would've done nothing....stuff happens. It was over & done with at this point. Oh...I would tell my son to be more careful on the playground.

This thread reminded me that when DD was in 7th grade (over 10 years ago) they were doing a lab in science when something got in her eye and the teacher had her use the eye wash station. She thought it was the coolest thing ever, I on the other hand, was ticked that no one called me. I didn't say anything to the school, but I told her that if anything like ever happened again to please have them call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter