My 2.5 year old favorite rides at MK

disneyfan1992

Mouseketeer
Just in case this helps anyone, I know when we were planning our trip, I liked to read posts about which rides toddlers liked / didn't like. The answers always seemed to be child specific and covered the whole range from loved it to hated it. We found this to be true for our toddlers too. You really have to know your kid and follow their temperament and personality to figure out if they would like a ride or not.

Luckily we decided to just play our trip by ear, see how it goes, and change our plans as needed. We did have magic bands, made FP+ ressies b4 trip for rides we thought kids might like, and used FP+ on a smart phone to change ressies as needed in park. We went in Nov 2013 to WDW with our 2.5 year old twins.

My kids are not thrill seekers, nor dare devils. Just normal and very active, very busy toddlers. They do not go to preschool. They stay at home with me. They have not been exposed to waiting in line prior to trip. They watch very very limited TV. They are used to a meal and nap schedule with lots of free, unstructured play time in between. No older siblings.

They LOVED "Its A Small World". #1 Favorite. Rode it several times and yes, we "wasted" a FP+ a few times for the ride because kids were horrible waiting in lines. Thank goodness that ride is still there. I know so many people don't like the ride, but it was the HIGHLIGHT of our trip. Their reactions on this ride is why we went to WDW in the first place. Pure magic for my kids.

They liked Jungle Cruise except for the cave. Scared of dark. Clung to us and we had to reassure them. Got antsy at the end and wanted to get down and move around. Used FP+ to avoid line.

They liked the Riverboat especially because it allowed us to walk around while experiencing the attraction. My kids like to be in motion, not sitting quiet.

We tried Peter Pan Flight and Pooh's Honey Pots on different days. Both hated both rides. Not sure what they didn't like (darkness, motion, sound level, ???), but they both wanted out, were scared, and one cried all through Pooh. After that, we didn't try any other rides except as noted above.

Loved the Train. Rode many times around the park. Kids know / watch Thomas The Tank, so they kept calling the train "Thomas". However, they didn't like the steam whistle while we were sitting on train. That was too close and loud. But they loved hearing the train whistle while we were in the park.

Loved the Monorail. Happy to ride it all day long.

Liked the Electrical Light Parade on Main Street... from a distance. Up close it was too loud. But when we backed up to the store fronts and got out of crowd, we held them up to see. They were mesmerized by the lights.

Turns out, my kids' ultimate favorite thing to do was to meet characters. They LOVED LOVED LOVED meeting the characters. They didn't like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. They really only know Mickey & Minnie from toys we have at home. But they took to the characters like ducks to water. Had many Magical experiences with the characters, especially with daughter (who is the more sociable twin). I thought before the trip that they would not be interested in the characters. I thought they would be scared to meet them. Boy, was I wrong! Walk right up, hug, kiss, squeals for Mickey and Minnie, more hugs and kisses, and high fives. We have lots of awesome pixs of the kids with characters. The only hard part was waiting in line. There were 4 adults to 2 kids on this trip. So we learned to have 2 adults wait in line, while 1 adult took 1 kid and the other adult took the other kid walking around in general area while we waited our turn. Then the other 2 adults with kids rejoined the group as we got to front of line.

So parents of toddlers - Be prepared to just go with the flow and adopt your plans to their needs as the trip unfolds. Relax and enjoy your family time in the most magical place in the world.

This is very interesting to me!

You're right, it seems very specific to each toddler. My sister in law took her two kids (4 and 2.5) at the end of August and they went on exactly zero rides in two days at MK. Kids were unsure and she didn't want to push so they met a ton of princesses!!

Then we took our 2.5 year old a month later and she loved it! She liked furry characters better than face ones, even though she loves princesses.

Her favorite ride was dumbo. I was getting dizzy after going on it four times in a row on our first morning! She also loved the carousel. Apparently spinning's her thing!

She loved the train and the monorail and still talks about the "monorail train" even though she fell asleep every time we went on it.

She did all of the following though: dumbo, carousel, small world, little mermaid, buzz, monsters inc, pirates, haunted mansion, flying carpets, steam train, mickey's philharmagic.

She tells me still that she wants to go to the movies and she means philharmagic!

We went when my children were 4 and 1. Then again when they were 5 and 3. My son, the three year old, had the same favorite ride both trips Pirates of the Caribbean. The first trip just him and I rode it. We got a couple of looks because he was only one but he just loves it.

I'm glad that my son (who was almost 3 when we went) was not the only one to not like Pooh & Peter Pan. He also didn't like Nemo, Little Mermaid, Buzz Lightyear, People Mover, Jungle Cruise or Figment (pretty much anything that was dark and/or loud).

He was most fond of the ones that were fully open, although he did like IASW (it closed for rehab on our second day so we only went once). If it was up to him we would go on Dumbo, Tea Cups, the carrousel, IASW and the Flying Carpets over and over and over again. He also like the Safari at AK.

He was OK with the Princesses, but loved each of the furry characters we met even if he didn't know who they were.

He liked the Electrical Parade from a distance until the Hook Pirate ship shot a cannon and then he declared that it was time to go (thankfully we were right by the exit).

The People Mover was a huge hit with my youngest. I think at one point we rode it 3 times in a row.

Teacup. Both Buzz rides. Small world. Peter Pan. The bus and monorail. The cars after the TT ride. He was 1/2" too short for a lot, so we did child swap quite a bit.

He did not like POTC, or the Indiana Jones show. Actually, he didn't like most shows-- too much sitting.

Our daughter from ages 2.5 to 3.

Loved in order ... Barnstormer, Carousel, Small World, Dumbo, People Mover, Nemo and all characters, monorial, buses

Really enjoys... Tea Cups, Tomorrowland Speedway, Little Memarid, Winnie the Pooh, Toy Story Mania, Backlot Tour, The Great Piggy Bank Adventure

Likes... Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Living with the Land, Beauty and the Beast show, Aladdin Carpets, Carousel of progress

NOT a fan... Norway ride, Jungle Cruise, Disney Jr Live, Peter Pan

She is adventurous but not a daring.

I do agree it depends on the child... every trip we feel her out the first two days if she seems to still like characters and rides, we ask if she wants to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter